Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Jimi Thing
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:10 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby Jimi Thing » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:47 pm

Withdrew - good luck to everyone on the waitlist!

kaitybird
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby kaitybird » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:00 pm

kari71686 wrote:Still have not heard anything either. Although I applied last minute.



+1

petite chouette
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:52 am

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby petite chouette » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:50 am

calawdude wrote:For those of you on the waitlist, for some schools, it's recommended that you send in whatever you have in terms of new accomplishments since you first sent in your application, or whatever you have that makes your application significantly better.


Have you ever heard of anyone doing this for Hastings? They said specifically in the letter not to contact them with anything (emails, etc) so it kind of wrecks all conventional advice regarding LOCIs and such. I was debating sending info about a job that I didn't have yet at the time of applying but didn't want to risk pissing them off or an admin person being like, "this bitch doesn't know how to follow directions."

I don't know how to let them know they're my top choice schol (originally applied ED) if they specifically asked people not to say anything? Or is it a "playing hard to get" situation where they want people who will brazenly go against their requests and do a LOCI anyway?

calawdude
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:39 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby calawdude » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:45 pm

petite chouette wrote:
calawdude wrote:For those of you on the waitlist, for some schools, it's recommended that you send in whatever you have in terms of new accomplishments since you first sent in your application, or whatever you have that makes your application significantly better.


Have you ever heard of anyone doing this for Hastings? They said specifically in the letter not to contact them with anything (emails, etc) so it kind of wrecks all conventional advice regarding LOCIs and such. I was debating sending info about a job that I didn't have yet at the time of applying but didn't want to risk pissing them off or an admin person being like, "this bitch doesn't know how to follow directions."

I don't know how to let them know they're my top choice schol (originally applied ED) if they specifically asked people not to say anything? Or is it a "playing hard to get" situation where they want people who will brazenly go against their requests and do a LOCI anyway?

Ahhh... I see. I didn't notice that. Good thing I left it open and suggested you research it. Hmmm.... I'm not sure if it's a hard-to-get situation. I wouldn't try it, though. That's just me.

Damn. This is a hard call. I don't know if they're just saying that so they don't get flooded with stuff (but would still feel flattered to get something sent in by a prospective student who really wants to be admitted) OR if they REALLY don't want people to send stuff in.

Either way, I hope you get in.

User avatar
USMCMatt
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:57 am

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby USMCMatt » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:02 pm

petite chouette wrote:
calawdude wrote:For those of you on the waitlist, for some schools, it's recommended that you send in whatever you have in terms of new accomplishments since you first sent in your application, or whatever you have that makes your application significantly better.


Have you ever heard of anyone doing this for Hastings? They said specifically in the letter not to contact them with anything (emails, etc) so it kind of wrecks all conventional advice regarding LOCIs and such. I was debating sending info about a job that I didn't have yet at the time of applying but didn't want to risk pissing them off or an admin person being like, "this bitch doesn't know how to follow directions."

I don't know how to let them know they're my top choice schol (originally applied ED) if they specifically asked people not to say anything? Or is it a "playing hard to get" situation where they want people who will brazenly go against their requests and do a LOCI anyway?



Call them and ask for Christian. Nice guy. Tell him what you are thinking and he'll give you the straight dope.

LockBox
Posts: 268
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:05 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby LockBox » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:28 pm

USMCMatt wrote:
petite chouette wrote:
calawdude wrote:For those of you on the waitlist, for some schools, it's recommended that you send in whatever you have in terms of new accomplishments since you first sent in your application, or whatever you have that makes your application significantly better.


Have you ever heard of anyone doing this for Hastings? They said specifically in the letter not to contact them with anything (emails, etc) so it kind of wrecks all conventional advice regarding LOCIs and such. I was debating sending info about a job that I didn't have yet at the time of applying but didn't want to risk pissing them off or an admin person being like, "this bitch doesn't know how to follow directions."

I don't know how to let them know they're my top choice schol (originally applied ED) if they specifically asked people not to say anything? Or is it a "playing hard to get" situation where they want people who will brazenly go against their requests and do a LOCI anyway?



Call them and ask for Christian. Nice guy. Tell him what you are thinking and he'll give you the straight dope.


I realize this may be sound advice, and I have been tempted to call as well...but the waitlist letter specifically states not to "call or email regarding the waitlist." Does this mean a LOCI or phone call stating that Hastings is our top choice is in the same category?

I recall reading from the previous years' thread that some emailed anyway and received a response along the lines of do not write to us, but still got in.

apollo2015
Posts: 359
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:13 am

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby apollo2015 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:26 pm

LockBox wrote:
I realize this may be sound advice, and I have been tempted to call as well...but the waitlist letter specifically states not to "call or email regarding the waitlist." Does this mean a LOCI or phone call stating that Hastings is our top choice is in the same category?

I recall reading from the previous years' thread that some emailed anyway and received a response along the lines of do not write to us, but still got in.


If I had to guess, I would imagine that they mainly don't want people contacting them because they can't give them any updates as to their waitlist status at this time.

They might also dislike people contacting them, if that requires that they add new information to your file. Adding stuff to peoples' files requires that the clerical staff does more work. :) If that is the case, then it may be to your advantage to contact them because they would be adding (hopefully) good things to your file. Just don't burden the clerical staff with insignificant additions. Make sure the additions would be significant in nature.

Also, perhaps they would prefer you to contact them by mail. That would not be a "call or email" and might imply to them that you put more value into your message, than someone sending a mere call or e-mail would.

Also, Christian is indeed cool.

calawdude
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:39 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby calawdude » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:51 pm

apollo2015 wrote:
LockBox wrote:
I realize this may be sound advice, and I have been tempted to call as well...but the waitlist letter specifically states not to "call or email regarding the waitlist." Does this mean a LOCI or phone call stating that Hastings is our top choice is in the same category?

I recall reading from the previous years' thread that some emailed anyway and received a response along the lines of do not write to us, but still got in.


If I had to guess, I would imagine that they mainly don't want people contacting them because they can't give them any updates as to their waitlist status at this time.

They might also dislike people contacting them, if that requires that they add new information to your file. Adding stuff to peoples' files requires that the clerical staff does more work. :) If that is the case, then it may be to your advantage to contact them because they would be adding (hopefully) good things to your file. Just don't burden the clerical staff with insignificant additions. Make sure the additions would be significant in nature.

Also, perhaps they would prefer you to contact them by mail. That would not be a "call or email" and might imply to them that you put more value into your message, than someone sending a mere call or e-mail would.

Also, Christian is indeed cool.

Haha. I like how you ended that one apollo2015. It's like all this serious advice, and then, "Oh yeah, Christian's one rad dude." Haha.

calawdude
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:39 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby calawdude » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:02 pm

This Christian guy sounds pretty cool, so if I were you I'd call (not mention my name or anything because it's just a generic question), and just ask him if it's frowned upon to send in some stuff to add to a profile, and if it's okay, in what format the correspondence should be in (usually as a hard copy, by regular mail, I would imagine).

petite chouette
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:52 am

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby petite chouette » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:22 pm

Thanks for the thoughtful answers! I just don't get how they know who is truly interested and who used it as a safety school, but just isn't withdrawing, without people contacting them :/ I'm going to SF to visit friends in mid-May so maybe I'll try to schedule to talk to someone without sounding like I'm demanding an interview or something. Or just run through the lobby naked during Bay to Breakers..

LockBox
Posts: 268
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:05 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby LockBox » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:05 pm

petite chouette wrote:Thanks for the thoughtful answers! I just don't get how they know who is truly interested and who used it as a safety school, but just isn't withdrawing, without people contacting them :/ I'm going to SF to visit friends in mid-May so maybe I'll try to schedule to talk to someone without sounding like I'm demanding an interview or something. Or just run through the lobby naked during Bay to Breakers..


Let me know if this works :D

thedumbwaiter
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:43 am

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby thedumbwaiter » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:07 pm

I was on the waitlist last year and I did write them a short (as in two small paragraphs) email. I got a reply saying they didn't accept LOCIs but it couldn't have annoyed them too much because I was accepted a week or two later.

User avatar
splitsplat
Posts: 607
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:25 am

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby splitsplat » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:35 am

LockBox wrote:
petite chouette wrote:Thanks for the thoughtful answers! I just don't get how they know who is truly interested and who used it as a safety school, but just isn't withdrawing, without people contacting them :/ I'm going to SF to visit friends in mid-May so maybe I'll try to schedule to talk to someone without sounding like I'm demanding an interview or something. Or just run through the lobby naked during Bay to Breakers..


Let me know if this works :D


Better yet, let us know when you plan to do this so we can be there to... uh research how that tactic works. 8)

otrtfo
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:24 am

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby otrtfo » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:09 am

I applied early November and haven't heard back.

LockBox
Posts: 268
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:05 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby LockBox » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:09 pm

So i'm on the wl and I called and spoke with Christian - nice guy - and asked if it would be advisable to send anything to in order to note that Hastings is my first choice. He said that they assume everyone on the waitlist would attend and they will start going through the waitlist after the may 1st deposit (he said around may 15th). I suppose i'll just wait till then and see what happens.

User avatar
Pleasye
Posts: 7966
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby Pleasye » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:29 pm

petite chouette wrote:Thanks for the thoughtful answers! I just don't get how they know who is truly interested and who used it as a safety school, but just isn't withdrawing, without people contacting them :/ I'm going to SF to visit friends in mid-May so maybe I'll try to schedule to talk to someone without sounding like I'm demanding an interview or something. Or just run through the lobby naked during Bay to Breakers..

If you originally applied ED I think they can (and will) safely assume that they are your top choice. Also, I think their request not to send additional information was pretty clear, I would just sit tight.

User avatar
prosen5808
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:08 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby prosen5808 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:49 pm

Can we pay the seat deposit online? I can't find the admitted student ID & password in my inbox and would really appreciate it if someone could pm them to me!

Decimal
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:35 am

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby Decimal » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:34 pm

Hastings just increased my scholarship amount from $30k for the three years to $75k. :shock: I was all set on going to Boston University but this complicates things...

hanman
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:42 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby hanman » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:51 pm

Decimal wrote:Hastings just increased my scholarship amount from $30k for the three years to $75k. :shock: I was all set on going to Boston University but this complicates things...


i went from $7500 per year to $22,500. i had taken hastings off my list but now ... yep a much more complicated decision!

Rose13
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:13 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby Rose13 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:25 pm

hanman wrote:
Decimal wrote:Hastings just increased my scholarship amount from $30k for the three years to $75k. :shock: I was all set on going to Boston University but this complicates things...


i went from $7500 per year to $22,500. i had taken hastings off my list but now ... yep a much more complicated decision!



Did they do this via phone or e-mail? Or letter? That's awesome, though, congrats!

hanman
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:42 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby hanman » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:31 pm

Rose13 wrote:
hanman wrote:
Decimal wrote:Hastings just increased my scholarship amount from $30k for the three years to $75k. :shock: I was all set on going to Boston University but this complicates things...


i went from $7500 per year to $22,500. i had taken hastings off my list but now ... yep a much more complicated decision!



Did they do this via phone or e-mail? Or letter? That's awesome, though, congrats!


email from greg canada. thanks!

organic muskrat
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:43 am

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby organic muskrat » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:48 pm

Yay for today's updated financial aid offers!

The notion of graduating from Hastings $150k in the hole was...not encouraging, particularly in light of SFC fog.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11785
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby ilovesf » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:50 pm

organic muskrat wrote:Yay for today's updated financial aid offers!

The notion of graduating from Hastings $150k in the hole was...not encouraging, particularly in light of SFC fog.

The fog can be really pretty!

organic muskrat
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:43 am

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby organic muskrat » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:26 am

...
Last edited by organic muskrat on Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ttnguyen
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:06 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby ttnguyen » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:31 pm

Hastings offered me an additional 45K, taking me to 75K. I turned it down--I'm going to be at USC. Hopefully one of you gets it! :)




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AJ1010, Blue664, Exabot [Bot], Ferrisjso, Rich Uncle Skeleton, staypuff, vho1791 and 27 guests