Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
odetojefferson

New

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Post by odetojefferson » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:55 pm

so guys....more scholarship offers are coming soon. pm if your interested in more details.

steepair

New

Post by steepair » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:36 pm

chochotrain wrote:
steepair wrote:
gogogadgetlaw wrote:I recently got an email that the deposit deadline was April 6th.
i got the same e-mail yesterday, too! i freaked out cos i thought the deposit wasn't due until may 1st. when i got home, i checked all my admissions info and, sure enough, everything said "may 1st". i emailed dean canada to ask for some clarification. if they did move it up to april 6th that kind of screws me over cos i won't have a chance to go to davis' ASD.
I didn't get the email with the April 6 deadline, but the website says: "Enrollment Deposit for Fall 2012 - In order to reserve a seat in the entering class, you are required to submit a non-refundable enrollment deposit by the deadline indicated on the your lettter of acceptance. (Please pay careful attention to this deadline; if your response is not received by the due date, you may lose your place in the class.)"

Hopefully the email is a mistake...
okay so i just received an email from dean canada clarifying that those of us who received merit based aid have a deadline of april 6th. apparently it is on our scholarship letters, although im not home to check my paperwork to confirm this. damn....this really puts a kink in my plans....

aliceydu

Bronze

Post by aliceydu » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:20 pm

steepair wrote:
chochotrain wrote:
steepair wrote:
gogogadgetlaw wrote:I recently got an email that the deposit deadline was April 6th.
i got the same e-mail yesterday, too! i freaked out cos i thought the deposit wasn't due until may 1st. when i got home, i checked all my admissions info and, sure enough, everything said "may 1st". i emailed dean canada to ask for some clarification. if they did move it up to april 6th that kind of screws me over cos i won't have a chance to go to davis' ASD.
I didn't get the email with the April 6 deadline, but the website says: "Enrollment Deposit for Fall 2012 - In order to reserve a seat in the entering class, you are required to submit a non-refundable enrollment deposit by the deadline indicated on the your lettter of acceptance. (Please pay careful attention to this deadline; if your response is not received by the due date, you may lose your place in the class.)"

okay so i just received an email from dean canada clarifying that those of us who received merit based aid have a deadline of april 6th. apparently it is on our scholarship letters, although im not home to check my paperwork to confirm this. damn....this really puts a kink in my plans....
WAIT... if I got grants... is that merit aid?!

hanman

New

Post by hanman » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:55 pm

chochotrain wrote:
steepair wrote:
WAIT... if I got grants... is that merit aid?!
[/quote]

same as above. does "Hastings Grant" = merit aid?!?!

aroth001

New

Post by aroth001 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:07 pm

ANY movement as far as decisions!!? Speak up people!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

petite chouette

New

Post by petite chouette » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:58 pm

Thanks to everyone who answered my question! Apparently I am WL'd for Davis too now, so my new life goal is to be like kapital98 and get a phone call in May and get this craziness over with so I'm not checking my phone maniacally for the next 4.5 months :/

LockBox

Bronze

Post by LockBox » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:12 am

petite chouette wrote:Thanks to everyone who answered my question! Apparently I am WL'd for Davis too now, so my new life goal is to be like kapital98 and get a phone call in May and get this craziness over with so I'm not checking my phone maniacally for the next 4.5 months :/
+1 join the club and g'luck :D

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:31 am

lawgeekgrl wrote: Just because one manager expressed that, it doesn't mean ALL firms feel the same way. Out of 25 UCI students that worked for firms during their 2L summer, 24 were offered SA positions. I personally spoke with a partner from a major firm with branches in the OC and LA, and he even said that his firm had to compete to hire UCI grads. Of course this could also have something to do with the fact that is a lot easier to place a class of 100 than 450.

If you'd like to speak great about UCH to help someone decide, try to do so without trying to put other schools down. At the end of the day, UCI is just another UC like Hastings. Sure, UCH has the decades of prestige and all, but UCI also has a lot to offer. Both schools are great. It will come down to personal preference. For me, the choice was very clear (UCI). Though I was honored to have been offered admission at Hastings.
i don't see how i'm putting a school down when i am simply relaying what i have heard first hand. uci is a fine institution in its own right and i really enjoyed undergrad there. that doesn't change the fact that firms inside the v100 probably have really high cutoffs for the school to get callbacks (though top 2% seemed ridiculous to me as well).

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:34 am

chen8406 wrote:
Lasers wrote: if you have usc on the table and you want LA that is an easy choice. however, hastings over uci, easily, imo. talked to recruiting manager for a v100 big law firm; GPA cutoff for callback at hastings was top20%; "top 2%" at uci. this sentiment is not all that rare among the top firms, either. i guess if you don't want big law (well at least the small chance that hastings provides, that is), i can see how uci would have appeal, though.
If I'm not mistaken, top 2% at UCI is the top 1-2 students. Sounds funny to me. The inaugural class at UCI has much better stats than same year's class at Hastings, and had at least similar, if not higher, quality of education (faculty scholarly impact and student:faculty ratio). Obviously, some concerns about UCI being a new school and all are justified, but that much of a difference?
it does seem totally unwarranted, but don't shoot the messenger. i know of two v100 firms with cutoffs that high for uci, which doesn't really make sense. i imagine that will soon change in the next couple of years, though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

prosen5808

New

Post by prosen5808 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:06 am

steepair wrote:
chochotrain wrote:
steepair wrote:

Hmmm my scholarship letter says I need to deposit by April 15th... do you think this is a typo or does everyone have different deadlines??

tropicanax

New

Post by tropicanax » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:00 pm

From my understanding and talking to people with scholarships and attending the financial aid session at ASD etc, people with SCHOLARSHIPS/MERIT based grants need to respond sooner than May 1st because they want to know if you will attend/if they will have money to give out to other people. Hastings grant on your financial aid package letter with all the loans and stuff is NEED based, so if you didn't receive another email/notification, I assume it is May 1st.

calawdude

New

Post by calawdude » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:44 pm

For those of you on the waitlist, for some schools, it's recommended that you send in whatever you have in terms of new accomplishments since you first sent in your application, or whatever you have that makes your application significantly better. You should do some research with regard to whether this is advisable or even possible for Hastings, but from what I've read, for some schools, it is recommended that you do that to better your chances of getting in if you're being waitlisted.

Best of luck, everybody! I hope to see you all this fall.

postn0bills

Bronze

Post by postn0bills » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:33 pm

i cannot believe i am STILL waiting. anyone else waiting? went complete in february.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kari71686

New

Post by kari71686 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:35 pm

Still have not heard anything either. Although I applied last minute.

Jimi Thing

New

Post by Jimi Thing » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:47 pm

Withdrew - good luck to everyone on the waitlist!

kaitybird

New

Post by kaitybird » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:00 pm

kari71686 wrote:Still have not heard anything either. Although I applied last minute.

+1

petite chouette

New

Post by petite chouette » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:50 am

calawdude wrote:For those of you on the waitlist, for some schools, it's recommended that you send in whatever you have in terms of new accomplishments since you first sent in your application, or whatever you have that makes your application significantly better.
Have you ever heard of anyone doing this for Hastings? They said specifically in the letter not to contact them with anything (emails, etc) so it kind of wrecks all conventional advice regarding LOCIs and such. I was debating sending info about a job that I didn't have yet at the time of applying but didn't want to risk pissing them off or an admin person being like, "this bitch doesn't know how to follow directions."

I don't know how to let them know they're my top choice schol (originally applied ED) if they specifically asked people not to say anything? Or is it a "playing hard to get" situation where they want people who will brazenly go against their requests and do a LOCI anyway?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

calawdude

New

Post by calawdude » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:45 pm

petite chouette wrote:
calawdude wrote:For those of you on the waitlist, for some schools, it's recommended that you send in whatever you have in terms of new accomplishments since you first sent in your application, or whatever you have that makes your application significantly better.
Have you ever heard of anyone doing this for Hastings? They said specifically in the letter not to contact them with anything (emails, etc) so it kind of wrecks all conventional advice regarding LOCIs and such. I was debating sending info about a job that I didn't have yet at the time of applying but didn't want to risk pissing them off or an admin person being like, "this bitch doesn't know how to follow directions."

I don't know how to let them know they're my top choice schol (originally applied ED) if they specifically asked people not to say anything? Or is it a "playing hard to get" situation where they want people who will brazenly go against their requests and do a LOCI anyway?
Ahhh... I see. I didn't notice that. Good thing I left it open and suggested you research it. Hmmm.... I'm not sure if it's a hard-to-get situation. I wouldn't try it, though. That's just me.

Damn. This is a hard call. I don't know if they're just saying that so they don't get flooded with stuff (but would still feel flattered to get something sent in by a prospective student who really wants to be admitted) OR if they REALLY don't want people to send stuff in.

Either way, I hope you get in.

USMCMatt

Bronze

Post by USMCMatt » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:02 pm

petite chouette wrote:

Call them and ask for Christian. Nice guy. Tell him what you are thinking and he'll give you the straight dope.

LockBox

Bronze

Post by LockBox » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:28 pm

USMCMatt wrote:
petite chouette wrote:

Call them and ask for Christian. Nice guy. Tell him what you are thinking and he'll give you the straight dope.
I realize this may be sound advice, and I have been tempted to call as well...but the waitlist letter specifically states not to "call or email regarding the waitlist." Does this mean a LOCI or phone call stating that Hastings is our top choice is in the same category?

I recall reading from the previous years' thread that some emailed anyway and received a response along the lines of do not write to us, but still got in.

apollo2015

Bronze

Post by apollo2015 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:26 pm

LockBox wrote:
I realize this may be sound advice, and I have been tempted to call as well...but the waitlist letter specifically states not to "call or email regarding the waitlist." Does this mean a LOCI or phone call stating that Hastings is our top choice is in the same category?

I recall reading from the previous years' thread that some emailed anyway and received a response along the lines of do not write to us, but still got in.
If I had to guess, I would imagine that they mainly don't want people contacting them because they can't give them any updates as to their waitlist status at this time.

They might also dislike people contacting them, if that requires that they add new information to your file. Adding stuff to peoples' files requires that the clerical staff does more work. :) If that is the case, then it may be to your advantage to contact them because they would be adding (hopefully) good things to your file. Just don't burden the clerical staff with insignificant additions. Make sure the additions would be significant in nature.

Also, perhaps they would prefer you to contact them by mail. That would not be a "call or email" and might imply to them that you put more value into your message, than someone sending a mere call or e-mail would.

Also, Christian is indeed cool.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

calawdude

New

Post by calawdude » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:51 pm

apollo2015 wrote:
LockBox wrote:

If I had to guess, I would imagine that they mainly don't want people contacting them because they can't give them any updates as to their waitlist status at this time.

They might also dislike people contacting them, if that requires that they add new information to your file. Adding stuff to peoples' files requires that the clerical staff does more work. :) If that is the case, then it may be to your advantage to contact them because they would be adding (hopefully) good things to your file. Just don't burden the clerical staff with insignificant additions. Make sure the additions would be significant in nature.

Also, perhaps they would prefer you to contact them by mail. That would not be a "call or email" and might imply to them that you put more value into your message, than someone sending a mere call or e-mail would.

Also, Christian is indeed cool.
Haha. I like how you ended that one apollo2015. It's like all this serious advice, and then, "Oh yeah, Christian's one rad dude." Haha.

calawdude

New

Post by calawdude » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:02 pm

This Christian guy sounds pretty cool, so if I were you I'd call (not mention my name or anything because it's just a generic question), and just ask him if it's frowned upon to send in some stuff to add to a profile, and if it's okay, in what format the correspondence should be in (usually as a hard copy, by regular mail, I would imagine).

petite chouette

New

Post by petite chouette » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:22 pm

Thanks for the thoughtful answers! I just don't get how they know who is truly interested and who used it as a safety school, but just isn't withdrawing, without people contacting them :/ I'm going to SF to visit friends in mid-May so maybe I'll try to schedule to talk to someone without sounding like I'm demanding an interview or something. Or just run through the lobby naked during Bay to Breakers..

LockBox

Bronze

Post by LockBox » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:05 pm

petite chouette wrote:Thanks for the thoughtful answers! I just don't get how they know who is truly interested and who used it as a safety school, but just isn't withdrawing, without people contacting them :/ I'm going to SF to visit friends in mid-May so maybe I'll try to schedule to talk to someone without sounding like I'm demanding an interview or something. Or just run through the lobby naked during Bay to Breakers..
Let me know if this works :D

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”