Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
LockBox

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby LockBox » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:34 pm

petite chouette wrote:Hey, I am wondering when you accepted people have to send in deposits? I'm hoping that they'll start doing waitlist calls after whatever that day is so just curious about your timeline.

I assume that since they said in the WL email that they officially start doing it in May that the deadline for first deposit is April 30 but just thought I would check. Thank you to everyone who has withdrawn and opened up spots for those of us in WL purgatory!

+1

onedavetoomany

Postby onedavetoomany » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:31 pm

LockBox wrote:
petite chouette wrote:Hey, I am wondering when you accepted people have to send in deposits? I'm hoping that they'll start doing waitlist calls after whatever that day is so just curious about your timeline.

I assume that since they said in the WL email that they officially start doing it in May that the deadline for first deposit is April 30 but just thought I would check. Thank you to everyone who has withdrawn and opened up spots for those of us in WL purgatory!

+1

I think the deposit deadline is May 1st.

apollo2015

Postby apollo2015 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:58 pm

surfSD wrote:
apollo2015 wrote:Are we not able to start the Grad PLUS loan application process until May 1st? That's what I'm being told by the Studentloans.gov page, so I want to make sure that I'm applying for it via the right link there.

Just tried to do Grad PLUS as well, guess it opens May 1st. The sub/unsub loan application went through though.

Thanks! I was worried about that. I guess they didn't expect us to be filling it out so early.

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:27 pm

Hold out hope on the waitlist :)

I know a lot of people who were accepted off the waitlist all the way until August. I was taken off the waitlist in the middle of May.

Good Luck!

gogogadgetlaw

Postby gogogadgetlaw » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:55 pm

I recently got an email that the deposit deadline was April 6th.

lrslayer

Postby lrslayer » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:03 pm

withdrew. gl to you all.

aekea

Postby aekea » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:11 am

lrslayer wrote:withdrew. gl to you all.

+1

odetojefferson

Postby odetojefferson » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:57 am

aekea wrote:

+1

+2. Hope you waitlisters get some love soon.

LockBox

Postby LockBox » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:02 pm

odetojefferson wrote:
aekea wrote:

+1

+2. Hope you waitlisters get some love soon.

Thank you!! Hopefully we will in about a month :)

steepair

Postby steepair » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:21 pm

gogogadgetlaw wrote:I recently got an email that the deposit deadline was April 6th.

i got the same e-mail yesterday, too! i freaked out cos i thought the deposit wasn't due until may 1st. when i got home, i checked all my admissions info and, sure enough, everything said "may 1st". i emailed dean canada to ask for some clarification. if they did move it up to april 6th that kind of screws me over cos i won't have a chance to go to davis' ASD.

chochotrain

Postby chochotrain » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:13 pm

steepair wrote:
gogogadgetlaw wrote:I recently got an email that the deposit deadline was April 6th.

i got the same e-mail yesterday, too! i freaked out cos i thought the deposit wasn't due until may 1st. when i got home, i checked all my admissions info and, sure enough, everything said "may 1st". i emailed dean canada to ask for some clarification. if they did move it up to april 6th that kind of screws me over cos i won't have a chance to go to davis' ASD.

I didn't get the email with the April 6 deadline, but the website says: "Enrollment Deposit for Fall 2012 - In order to reserve a seat in the entering class, you are required to submit a non-refundable enrollment deposit by the deadline indicated on the your lettter of acceptance. (Please pay careful attention to this deadline; if your response is not received by the due date, you may lose your place in the class.)"

Hopefully the email is a mistake...

odetojefferson

Postby odetojefferson » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:55 pm

so guys....more scholarship offers are coming soon. pm if your interested in more details.

steepair

Postby steepair » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:36 pm

chochotrain wrote:
steepair wrote:

I didn't get the email with the April 6 deadline, but the website says: "Enrollment Deposit for Fall 2012 - In order to reserve a seat in the entering class, you are required to submit a non-refundable enrollment deposit by the deadline indicated on the your lettter of acceptance. (Please pay careful attention to this deadline; if your response is not received by the due date, you may lose your place in the class.)"

okay so i just received an email from dean canada clarifying that those of us who received merit based aid have a deadline of april 6th. apparently it is on our scholarship letters, although im not home to check my paperwork to confirm this. damn....this really puts a kink in my plans....

aliceydu

Postby aliceydu » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:20 pm

steepair wrote:
chochotrain wrote:
steepair wrote:

okay so i just received an email from dean canada clarifying that those of us who received merit based aid have a deadline of april 6th. apparently it is on our scholarship letters, although im not home to check my paperwork to confirm this. damn....this really puts a kink in my plans....

WAIT... if I got grants... is that merit aid?!

hanman

Postby hanman » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:55 pm

chochotrain wrote:
steepair wrote:

WAIT... if I got grants... is that merit aid?!
[/quote]

same as above. does "Hastings Grant" = merit aid?!?!

aroth001

Postby aroth001 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:07 pm

ANY movement as far as decisions!!? Speak up people!

petite chouette

Postby petite chouette » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:58 pm

Thanks to everyone who answered my question! Apparently I am WL'd for Davis too now, so my new life goal is to be like kapital98 and get a phone call in May and get this craziness over with so I'm not checking my phone maniacally for the next 4.5 months :/

LockBox

Postby LockBox » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:12 am

petite chouette wrote:Thanks to everyone who answered my question! Apparently I am WL'd for Davis too now, so my new life goal is to be like kapital98 and get a phone call in May and get this craziness over with so I'm not checking my phone maniacally for the next 4.5 months :/

+1 join the club and g'luck :D

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:31 am

lawgeekgrl wrote:Just because one manager expressed that, it doesn't mean ALL firms feel the same way. Out of 25 UCI students that worked for firms during their 2L summer, 24 were offered SA positions. I personally spoke with a partner from a major firm with branches in the OC and LA, and he even said that his firm had to compete to hire UCI grads. Of course this could also have something to do with the fact that is a lot easier to place a class of 100 than 450.

If you'd like to speak great about UCH to help someone decide, try to do so without trying to put other schools down. At the end of the day, UCI is just another UC like Hastings. Sure, UCH has the decades of prestige and all, but UCI also has a lot to offer. Both schools are great. It will come down to personal preference. For me, the choice was very clear (UCI). Though I was honored to have been offered admission at Hastings.

i don't see how i'm putting a school down when i am simply relaying what i have heard first hand. uci is a fine institution in its own right and i really enjoyed undergrad there. that doesn't change the fact that firms inside the v100 probably have really high cutoffs for the school to get callbacks (though top 2% seemed ridiculous to me as well).

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:34 am

chen8406 wrote:
Lasers wrote:if you have usc on the table and you want LA that is an easy choice. however, hastings over uci, easily, imo. talked to recruiting manager for a v100 big law firm; GPA cutoff for callback at hastings was top20%; "top 2%" at uci. this sentiment is not all that rare among the top firms, either. i guess if you don't want big law (well at least the small chance that hastings provides, that is), i can see how uci would have appeal, though.

If I'm not mistaken, top 2% at UCI is the top 1-2 students. Sounds funny to me. The inaugural class at UCI has much better stats than same year's class at Hastings, and had at least similar, if not higher, quality of education (faculty scholarly impact and student:faculty ratio). Obviously, some concerns about UCI being a new school and all are justified, but that much of a difference?

it does seem totally unwarranted, but don't shoot the messenger. i know of two v100 firms with cutoffs that high for uci, which doesn't really make sense. i imagine that will soon change in the next couple of years, though.

prosen5808

Postby prosen5808 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:06 am

steepair wrote:
chochotrain wrote:
steepair wrote:

Hmmm my scholarship letter says I need to deposit by April 15th... do you think this is a typo or does everyone have different deadlines??

tropicanax

Postby tropicanax » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:00 pm

From my understanding and talking to people with scholarships and attending the financial aid session at ASD etc, people with SCHOLARSHIPS/MERIT based grants need to respond sooner than May 1st because they want to know if you will attend/if they will have money to give out to other people. Hastings grant on your financial aid package letter with all the loans and stuff is NEED based, so if you didn't receive another email/notification, I assume it is May 1st.

calawdude

Postby calawdude » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:44 pm

For those of you on the waitlist, for some schools, it's recommended that you send in whatever you have in terms of new accomplishments since you first sent in your application, or whatever you have that makes your application significantly better. You should do some research with regard to whether this is advisable or even possible for Hastings, but from what I've read, for some schools, it is recommended that you do that to better your chances of getting in if you're being waitlisted.

Best of luck, everybody! I hope to see you all this fall.

postn0bills

Postby postn0bills » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:33 pm

i cannot believe i am STILL waiting. anyone else waiting? went complete in february.

kari71686

Postby kari71686 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:35 pm

Still have not heard anything either. Although I applied last minute.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”