Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Lasers

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby Lasers » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:25 am

aliceydu wrote:
surfSD wrote:
aliceydu wrote:
surfSD wrote:On a lighter note, $11,500 grant and officially committed, yeeeeeeabbboooyyyy(flavor flave voice)

Per semester? I only got $6000 per semester.

Nope, for the year.

Ohh nice! I actually got $5750/semester, so that's also $11,500 for the year. :)
This is only for this year right? Do most people continue to get them for 2L and 3L?

if your financial situation is the same, probably yes.

calawdude

Postby calawdude » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:38 pm

May I ask everyone when they completed their FAFSA and the supplemental aid form for Hastings?--trying to guage where they are in the process.

aroth001

Postby aroth001 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:42 pm

Did anyone who applied in Feb hear back yet for an admission decision?

apollo2015

Postby apollo2015 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:51 pm

calawdude wrote:May I ask everyone when they completed their FAFSA and the supplemental aid form for Hastings?--trying to guage where they are in the process.

Finished and submitted both of those in February. At the ASD the Financial Aid person said that everyone who had submitted the forms by March 10th should be hearing by the 31st.

kaitybird

Postby kaitybird » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:55 pm

aroth001 wrote:Did anyone who applied in Feb hear back yet for an admission decision?

I haven't yet and I went complete 3/2/12

USMCMatt

Postby USMCMatt » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:09 pm

kaitybird wrote:
aroth001 wrote:Did anyone who applied in Feb hear back yet for an admission decision?

I haven't yet and I went complete 3/2/12

Complete 2/1 and accepted early last week...

calawdude

Postby calawdude » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:26 pm

apollo2015 wrote:
calawdude wrote:May I ask everyone when they completed their FAFSA and the supplemental aid form for Hastings?--trying to guage where they are in the process.

Finished and submitted both of those in February. At the ASD the Financial Aid person said that everyone who had submitted the forms by March 10th should be hearing by the 31st.

Thanks, bro.

apollo2015

Postby apollo2015 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:27 pm

Are we not able to start the Grad PLUS loan application process until May 1st? That's what I'm being told by the Studentloans.gov page, so I want to make sure that I'm applying for it via the right link there.

ArtyIvy

Postby ArtyIvy » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:41 am

Yes, I applied late Feb. Rejection by email yesterday.

RoseMVP

Postby RoseMVP » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:55 am

Withdrawing. The 10k grant I received just isn't enough for me to turn down my other offers. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

aroth001

Postby aroth001 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:52 pm

Thanks to all those withdrawing who are going elsewhere!

I really want Hastings... deposits due for other schools by the 2nd. Waiting is torture and thinking about when I will get my decision clouds my brain all day :/!

odetojefferson

Postby odetojefferson » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:01 am

What is the expected assistance part of the financial aid award?

skitlets

Postby skitlets » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:22 pm

I was not impressed with today's Admit Day...

coldpixies

Postby coldpixies » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:37 pm

Just withdrew! Hopefully one of you guys take my seat. Although I really wanted to be in the bay area for 3 years, I can't justify paying sticker + COL when USC is on the table as well. Good luck everyone!

Skitlets, just curious, what didn't you like about Hastings' ASW? I was thinking of going but didn't want to drop money on a plane ticket + hotel when I was pretty sure I wasn't going to attend there this fall.

justathought21

Postby justathought21 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:08 am

skitlets wrote:I was not impressed with today's Admit Day...

I have not been impressed by the unceasing emails from their offices. They do A LOT of marketing, but I think they would be better served putting that money towards scholarship funding! During my contact with Hastings, they seem to think that 25K is "AMAZING"! Dont they realize they are in the 40's with regards to rank, going downhill every year, and that their total cost is around $70K!!!! And....AND....they have like aa 30% employment rate at graduation! Come ON Hastings.....you can do better.

skitlets

Postby skitlets » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:11 am

coldpixies wrote:Just withdrew! Hopefully one of you guys take my seat. Although I really wanted to be in the bay area for 3 years, I can't justify paying sticker + COL when USC is on the table as well. Good luck everyone!

Skitlets, just curious, what didn't you like about Hastings' ASW? I was thinking of going but didn't want to drop money on a plane ticket + hotel when I was pretty sure I wasn't going to attend there this fall.

Nobody was willing to give straight answers. Somebody asked about Hastings' portability to LA. I don't remember the exact wording from one of the 3Ls on the student panel but it was way over the top. The legal market is tough-- I didn't hear any decent answers on how the school is willing to address that. Of course, imho.

I'd love to stay in SF for school but Hastings is a tough sell over UCI. Maybe someone here can offer some insight.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:25 am

skitlets wrote:
coldpixies wrote:Just withdrew! Hopefully one of you guys take my seat. Although I really wanted to be in the bay area for 3 years, I can't justify paying sticker + COL when USC is on the table as well. Good luck everyone!

Nobody was willing to give straight answers. Somebody asked about Hastings' portability to LA. I don't remember the exact wording from one of the 3Ls on the student panel but it was way over the top. The legal market is tough-- I didn't hear any decent answers on how the school is willing to address that. Of course, imho.

I'd love to stay in SF for school but Hastings is a tough sell over UCI. Maybe someone here can offer some insight.

I'm just a 1L so I don't have good answers to these questions. We're just students though, so it isn't like we all have exact employment facts, etc. If someone wants to work in LA and they get into UCLA/USC, they should probably go to one of those schools. I know a bunch of 1Ls going to LA for the summer, but that is just 1L summer and doesn't mean that much. I don't really know how the school is supposed to address how tough the legal market is because the school can't do anything to change the legal market. I've been really happy with career services though, I find them to be pretty helpful. There are tons of events on campus about different areas of the law, lots of opportunities to meet mentors, and I've met with several alumni to try to network. They provide a lot of opportunities, imo, to network and make connections. Individual students have to have the drive though to make it happen. The school can only do so much and can't force any students to attend any of these functions.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:48 am

skitlets wrote:

if you have usc on the table and you want LA that is an easy choice. however, hastings over uci, easily, imo. talked to recruiting manager for a v100 big law firm; GPA cutoff for callback at hastings was top20%; "top 2%" at uci. this sentiment is not all that rare among the top firms, either. i guess if you don't want big law (well at least the small chance that hastings provides, that is), i can see how uci would have appeal, though.

lawgeekgrl

Postby lawgeekgrl » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:12 am

Deleted.
Last edited by lawgeekgrl on Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chen8406

Postby chen8406 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:41 am

Lasers wrote:if you have usc on the table and you want LA that is an easy choice. however, hastings over uci, easily, imo. talked to recruiting manager for a v100 big law firm; GPA cutoff for callback at hastings was top20%; "top 2%" at uci. this sentiment is not all that rare among the top firms, either. i guess if you don't want big law (well at least the small chance that hastings provides, that is), i can see how uci would have appeal, though.

If I'm not mistaken, top 2% at UCI is the top 1-2 students. Sounds funny to me. The inaugural class at UCI has much better stats than same year's class at Hastings, and had at least similar, if not higher, quality of education (faculty scholarly impact and student:faculty ratio). Obviously, some concerns about UCI being a new school and all are justified, but that much of a difference?

skitlets

Postby skitlets » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:22 pm

For clarification, I am from the Bay Area and aim to practice here. I think conventional advice would be to go to Hastings.

That said, I'd rather have employment anywhere than be in San Francisco and be unemployed..

surfSD

Postby surfSD » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:32 pm

apollo2015 wrote:Are we not able to start the Grad PLUS loan application process until May 1st? That's what I'm being told by the Studentloans.gov page, so I want to make sure that I'm applying for it via the right link there.

Just tried to do Grad PLUS as well, guess it opens May 1st. The sub/unsub loan application went through though.

As for the talk about Hastings employment statistics: I'm not sure how much weight you should place on that comparatively. Hastings is known for being a more transparent reporter of statistics, meaning other schools that you are comparing may have somewhat inflated numbers. I agree that the number they report is low, however I believe many schools hover around that number without reporting it.

tropicanax

Postby tropicanax » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:20 am

surfSD wrote:
apollo2015 wrote:Are we not able to start the Grad PLUS loan application process until May 1st? That's what I'm being told by the Studentloans.gov page, so I want to make sure that I'm applying for it via the right link there.

Just tried to do Grad PLUS as well, guess it opens May 1st. The sub/unsub loan application went through though.

As for the talk about Hastings employment statistics: I'm not sure how much weight you should place on that comparatively. Hastings is known for being a more transparent reporter of statistics, meaning other schools that you are comparing may have somewhat inflated numbers. I agree that the number they report is low, however I believe many schools hover around that number without reporting it.

At ASD during the career services session, someone asked the question of what percentage of students are employed at graduation, she said they take stats at different times, but AT graduation it was about 30%, another 30% got jobs before Bar results came out, and the rest are employed by 9 months ( not sure what the exact % is). but she also made the point that many smaller firms/other places simply don't hire before people pass the bar and it's mainly big firms that have jobs waiting for some students after graduation etc.

petite chouette

Postby petite chouette » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:46 pm

Hey, I am wondering when you accepted people have to send in deposits? I'm hoping that they'll start doing waitlist calls after whatever that day is so just curious about your timeline.

I assume that since they said in the WL email that they officially start doing it in May that the deadline for first deposit is April 30 but just thought I would check. Thank you to everyone who has withdrawn and opened up spots for those of us in WL purgatory!

surfSD

Postby surfSD » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:22 pm

petite chouette wrote:Hey, I am wondering when you accepted people have to send in deposits? I'm hoping that they'll start doing waitlist calls after whatever that day is so just curious about your timeline.

I assume that since they said in the WL email that they officially start doing it in May that the deadline for first deposit is April 30 but just thought I would check. Thank you to everyone who has withdrawn and opened up spots for those of us in WL purgatory!

No later than May 1st

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”