Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ArtyIvy
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:45 am

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby ArtyIvy » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:33 am

calawdude wrote:Any LEOP admits (or even non-LEOP admits) here interested in organizing and starting some sort of organization for law students from underprivileged backgrounds? I was looking through all the student organizations and all of them seemed to focus on race, ethnicity, or legal interest. It would be nice to get together with people with similar backgrounds.

If there's already an organization like this, please let me know; otherwise, if we start one, our organization might actually be the first of its kind (an organization based on class).


I think that's a great idea. I never thought I was underprivileged until I found myself dealing with the complex class, race and gender issues at an Ivy. I feel like I learned the most from people who had grown up truly poor and disadvantaged -- they were incredibly resourceful and resilient.

I got pretty hooked on service in undergrad and talked a lot about giving back in my LEOP statement. Could that be a component of such a club? A support system is wonderful, but I find helping others is empowering and puts things in perspective.

User avatar
aliceydu
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby aliceydu » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:05 am

So I went to Admit Day!

The good:
- All the administrators, professors, and students were SUPER nice and easy to talk to
- The professors who talked to us during lunch seemed really enthusiastic and charismatic
- I was really impressed by the Career Services Center
- San Francisco location + reputation + large alumni network
- One block away form the BART station
- I hear there's good, cheap food around

The bad:
- Gosh, the weather was so dreary.
- Was not so impressed by the interest rates of government loans~ 6.8% to 7.9%!!
- Saw a studio room in the Tower. It was soooo run-down. The carpet was old, the windows don't have screens, the kitchen is TINY (with a tiny fridge), etc.
- The facilities are small, too. There's a small gym (no swimming pool). I think the rainy weather just made the whole living situation look worse.

So I guess my summary is: the software is super nice but the hardware wasn't. I'm not a computer person, but I just found that to be the best way to describe Hastings. If anyone want to add to that, please do! :)

User avatar
onedavetoomany
Posts: 138
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:24 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby onedavetoomany » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:16 pm

aliceydu wrote:So I went to Admit Day!

The good:
- All the administrators, professors, and students were SUPER nice and easy to talk to
- The professors who talked to us during lunch seemed really enthusiastic and charismatic
- I was really impressed by the Career Services Center
- San Francisco location + reputation + large alumni network
- One block away form the BART station
- I hear there's good, cheap food around

The bad:
- Gosh, the weather was so dreary.
- Was not so impressed by the interest rates of government loans~ 6.8% to 7.9%!!
- Saw a studio room in the Tower. It was soooo run-down. The carpet was old, the windows don't have screens, the kitchen is TINY (with a tiny fridge), etc.
- The facilities are small, too. There's a small gym (no swimming pool). I think the rainy weather just made the whole living situation look worse.

So I guess my summary is: the software is super nice but the hardware wasn't. I'm not a computer person, but I just found that to be the best way to describe Hastings. If anyone want to add to that, please do! :)


I also attended the admitted students day!

My feeling is that the reputation accurately describes the school. They have a strong alumni base and all the benefits associated with a big student body; however, there is also the downside manifested in huge faculty to student ratios, less personal environment, etc.

The competitiveness issue was mentioned several times, but the sales pitch seemed to be that they have "good competition" that will help you succeed. They never went so far as to deny that the school was competitive or demanding. I asked several current students about this issue and they conceded that it was indeed a factor, but also stressed that most students still help each other. The administrators seemed to look down on Berkeley and Stanford because they don't use a traditional grading system. One argument was that your grades "mean something" at Hastings....

One admitted student asked about the downward ranking trend, and the faculty responded by dismissing the rankings as unscientific. On the other hand, they conceded that the perception of a school depends largely on the rankings, so they have formed a panel to address the issue. Beyond the rankings, I am somewhat concerned that the school is in danger of being a has-been sort of institution. They went a little overboard when emphasizing their history and pointing out how they are the oldest school in California. My line of thinking was: "It's great that you had the best faculty in the 70s, but what about today?" Keep in mind that this was just a concern, and I'm still seriously considering Hastings.

As a Bay Area resident, I can tell you that the weather was about as bad as it gets. The storms in the last two weeks have almost doubled our total rainfall for the season. San Francisco can be a bit foggy throughout the year, but if you live in the East Bay (15 minutes on BART, and cheaper rent) the fog burns off and you get consistently sunny, ~65-75 degree weather from April-November. Winters are usually mild in the upper 50's with some rainfall and some clear days.

User avatar
onedavetoomany
Posts: 138
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:24 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby onedavetoomany » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:26 pm

One more thing...

I asked a current student about the grading curve. He said about 15% get As, 75% get Bs, and about 10% get Cs and Ds.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11743
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby ilovesf » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:50 pm

onedavetoomany wrote:
I also attended the admitted students day!

My feeling is that the reputation accurately describes the school. They have a strong alumni base and all the benefits associated with a big student body; however, there is also the downside manifested in huge faculty to student ratios, less personal environment, etc.

The competitiveness issue was mentioned several times, but the sales pitch seemed to be that they have "good competition" that will help you succeed. They never went so far as to deny that the school was competitive or demanding. I asked several current students about this issue and they conceded that it was indeed a factor, but also stressed that most students still help each other. The administrators seemed to look down on Berkeley and Stanford because they don't use a traditional grading system. One argument was that your grades "mean something" at Hastings....

One admitted student asked about the downward ranking trend, and the faculty responded by dismissing the rankings as unscientific. On the other hand, they conceded that the perception of a school depends largely on the rankings, so they have formed a panel to address the issue. Beyond the rankings, I am somewhat concerned that the school is in danger of being a has-been sort of institution. They went a little overboard when emphasizing their history and pointing out how they are the oldest school in California. My line of thinking was: "It's great that you had the best faculty in the 70s, but what about today?" Keep in mind that this was just a concern, and I'm still seriously considering Hastings.

As a Bay Area resident, I can tell you that the weather was about as bad as it gets. The storms in the last two weeks have almost doubled our total rainfall for the season. San Francisco can be a bit foggy throughout the year, but if you live in the East Bay (15 minutes on BART, and cheaper rent) the fog burns off and you get consistently sunny, ~65-75 degree weather from April-November. Winters are usually mild in the upper 50's with some rainfall and some clear days.


I just have a couple of quick responses to some of the things you mentioned:
-Your class will be 20% smaller next year, so the faculty-student ratio will improve. I'm only a 1L, but I haven't found the ratio to be a problem at all. The professors here seem to try really hard to get to know your name, and seem to be pretty open and friendly.
-No one here seems to care about the rankings, honestly. No one I know has really talked about it at all, both students and faculty alike. One my professors told me that one student transferred from here to Davis last year because Davis is higher ranked. He said this was the most ridiculous thing he had ever heard. There is a panel whose purpose is to address the rankings though. This is one of the reasons that the school is cutting down the incoming class by 20%.
-I don't find people here to be "competitive." Hard working? Yeah. But this is law school, so you should expect people to be working hard. When people miss class, tons of people send their notes, etc. We all helped each other practice our speeches for oral arguments. I'm in the library right now in a room with some friends hanging out and going over notes.
-Also, a notes on grades meaning something. When I interviewed with a judge where I'll be working this summer, she said my grades were particularly impressive because they come from Hastings, where she knows the grading can be more rigorous than other bay area schools. So while that is a stupid comment from a teacher, that isn't the only time I've heard it.
-The curve can be found online in the academic handbook. You can also look online to see how individual professors have given out grades so you know professors who tend to give out the most As.

User avatar
Lasers
Posts: 1576
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby Lasers » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:48 pm

onedavetoomany wrote:One more thing...

I asked a current student about the grading curve. He said about 15% get As, 75% get Bs, and about 10% get Cs and Ds.

this is, for the most part, wrong.

see for yourself (most give near the max of 25% A's): --LinkRemoved--

User avatar
splitsplat
Posts: 607
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:25 am

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby splitsplat » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:37 pm

lasers dropping some more cold hard facts.

User avatar
onedavetoomany
Posts: 138
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:24 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby onedavetoomany » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:18 pm

Lasers wrote:
onedavetoomany wrote:One more thing...

I asked a current student about the grading curve. He said about 15% get As, 75% get Bs, and about 10% get Cs and Ds.

this is, for the most part, wrong.

see for yourself (most give near the max of 25% A's): --LinkRemoved--


Ok, so I guess the Hastings student leading my tour was BS.

apollo2015
Posts: 359
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:13 am

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby apollo2015 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:40 pm

The food was good and plentiful.

LockBox
Posts: 265
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:05 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby LockBox » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:46 pm

Waitlister here. I wanted to know what the consensus was for people who were/are considering Hastings after attending the ASD? Did it solidify your decision to attend (Can you elaborate)? Are you still waiting to hear back from other schools? Does it simply come down to $$$ offered from Hastings and other schools?

User avatar
onedavetoomany
Posts: 138
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:24 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby onedavetoomany » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:57 pm

LockBox wrote:Waitlister here. I wanted to know what the consensus was for people who were/are considering Hastings after attending the ASD? Did it solidify your decision to attend (Can you elaborate)? Are you still waiting to hear back from other schools? Does it simply come down to $$$ offered from Hastings and other schools?


Hastings is currently my first choice (See ASD comments above). I'm still waiting to hear back from Davis and USC before making a final decision.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11743
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby ilovesf » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:09 am

apollo2015 wrote:The food was good and plentiful.

Yeah :) I ate a lot after all the admitted students left - thanks for not eating all of it.

User avatar
Lasers
Posts: 1576
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby Lasers » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:15 am

onedavetoomany wrote:
Lasers wrote:
onedavetoomany wrote:One more thing...

I asked a current student about the grading curve. He said about 15% get As, 75% get Bs, and about 10% get Cs and Ds.

this is, for the most part, wrong.

see for yourself (most give near the max of 25% A's): --LinkRemoved--


Ok, so I guess the Hastings student leading my tour was BS.

it happens. it's likely the student was simply going off perception/what they heard and didn't know of the stats available.

i think i'll try and lead a tour next year. :)

User avatar
Lasers
Posts: 1576
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby Lasers » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:15 am

ilovesf wrote:
apollo2015 wrote:The food was good and plentiful.

Yeah :) I ate a lot after all the admitted students left - thanks for not eating all of it.

bahaha. i checked my e-mail too late! ahh.

justathought21
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:00 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby justathought21 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:23 am

ilovesf wrote:
Lasers wrote:yes, aimed at improving rankings.

i believe smaller class size means student/faculty ratio goes up, less students to account for in terms of employment, likely better stats for the incoming class. if they were smart, they would curtail LEOP admissions more than the regular admissions.

Yeah, LEOP really hurts the stats, but I really like the idea of the program. I would feel really shitty about hastings if they stopped it just for the rankings though.



My bet is that those trash talker regarding LEOP are trolls. I will put up my numbers and qualifications against such trolls...gauntlet thrown down :) come out come out where ever you are trolls...

User avatar
steepair
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby steepair » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:50 am

onedavetoomany wrote:
LockBox wrote:Waitlister here. I wanted to know what the consensus was for people who were/are considering Hastings after attending the ASD? Did it solidify your decision to attend (Can you elaborate)? Are you still waiting to hear back from other schools? Does it simply come down to $$$ offered from Hastings and other schools?


Hastings is currently my first choice (See ASD comments above). I'm still waiting to hear back from Davis and USC before making a final decision.


personally, the ASD kinda pushed me a little more towards hastings, and at the same time, pushed me away.

the $$$ situation has really been an issue for me, however, after attending the financial aid presentation, i was really impressed by hastings LRAP, especially since i'm strongly considering a career with the government. so that was a push toward hastings as opposed to the other school i'm consdering, whose LRAP is pitiful.

on the other hand, the only thing i felt that was really off-putting about hastings (and has been ev of en before i attended ASD) was how large the student body was. i know they are taking steps to address this, but compared to some of the other schools i've been looking at, hastings has one of the largest student populations.

i know i need to make a decision in the very near future, but i still feel so uncertain about my choice. i was really hoping that hastings ASD would just knock me off my feet and my decision would be made for me, but it didn't. don't get me wrong, i REALLY like the school, but i'm just not sure how much i like it in relation to others i've looked at. i'm born and bred in the bay area and am living in SF now, so going to hastings would mean i wouldn't have to uproot my life. i guess i'll wait for my financial aid package (that i was told was coming this week...) to make a decision.

calawdude
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:39 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby calawdude » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:21 pm

ArtyIvy and apollo2015, good to know there are people receptive to the idea of starting some kind of organization of students from underprivileged backgrounds giving back to the indigent.

I will definitely try to bring this up when we start school--maybe when classes aren't so crazy. Haha.

postn0bills
Posts: 160
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby postn0bills » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:46 pm

Is anyone still waiting on a response either way? This is taking quite a long time, I wish there was a way to check.

aroth001
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:53 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby aroth001 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:02 pm

postn0bills wrote:Is anyone still waiting on a response either way? This is taking quite a long time, I wish there was a way to check.



Still waiting.. I applied later though. I got my complete email on 2/21. I really hope to hear soon.

postn0bills
Posts: 160
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby postn0bills » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:17 pm

Complete date is 2/1. I applied in early January though. Ugh... deposits are due really soon...

User avatar
Gavel
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:28 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby Gavel » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:19 pm

I have been complete since mid december. Just called them to check. The guy said i will *probably* hear back within two weeks. so really, nothing new.

bobloblaw'slawblog
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:46 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby bobloblaw'slawblog » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:11 pm

Has anyone who submitted FAFSA / the financial aid supplement by the March deadline received their aid offer yet?

Also, does anyone have an idea whether or not UCH is still awarding scholarship money or not?

Thanks in advance magical admissions know it all in the sky.

ohcanada
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:09 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby ohcanada » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:19 pm

I've yet to receive financial aid notice as well.

apollo2015
Posts: 359
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:13 am

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby apollo2015 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:49 pm

At the ASD they promised that Need Aid awards would be sent out by the 31st.

organic muskrat
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:43 am

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby organic muskrat » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:59 pm

I hope my need-based aid is reasonable. Some make my EFC in days!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baby Gaga, hip to be Square, Yahoo [Bot] and 16 guests