Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Blumpbeef

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby Blumpbeef » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:46 pm

aliceydu wrote:OMG the new law school ranking is out! Hastings dropped two spots to 44 :( Davis also dropped to 29.
US News says employment at graduation 40%... is that a joke?! Davis is at 80-something%.
Ohmygawwwwd...
http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... -law-03015

At graduation, not 9 months after.

prosen5808

Postby prosen5808 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:05 pm

odetojefferson wrote:
prosen5808 wrote:Also above the medians and also got a similar email saying they received my info. So is everyone thinking this means that we're receiving no merit-based scholarship? That would be horrible.

same, I'm at 75% for each. 15k was the max in scholarships per year right? Looking at LSN that doesn't seem to be much money out yet. There's one with 45k and 8 with 30k....

Edit: looked at last years cycle and only 12 people had >30k. C'mon Hastings, you are making it hard to resist Irvine.

False alarm, got more $$ info today. Hope it was the same for you!!

apollo2015

Postby apollo2015 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:20 pm

aliceydu wrote:OMG the new law school ranking is out! Hastings dropped two spots to 44 :( Davis also dropped to 29.

Interestingly enough, that is good news for us. Davis fell 6 ranks, so relatively speaking Hastings increased by 4. Hopefully now that the Strategic Plan has been implemented we will start rising back up to where we used to be (#19 at one point). --LinkRemoved--

In terms of how Law Firms and Judges rank law schools (which is the ranking that affects us if we want to become lawyers as opposed to becoming professors) we now lead Davis by 15 ranks, an increase from our previous lead of 10 ranks.

I also noticed that we moved up one rank on the Dispute Resolution rankings. If I ever find out what Dispute Resolution is, I will be superexcited about that. ;)

nugap2

Postby nugap2 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:52 pm

lol, wishing bad upon davis' rankings...

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:57 pm

hasTTTings

don't mind me, I'm just bitter at being waitlisted

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:34 pm

congrats on everyone who has been admitted and good luck to those waiting/on the waitlist.

your class will be the first to be reduced by around 20% so it seems there will be less acceptances.

apollo2015

Postby apollo2015 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:47 pm

Lasers wrote:congrats on everyone who has been admitted and good luck to those waiting/on the waitlist.

your class will be the first to be reduced by around 20% so it seems there will be less acceptances.

They are serious about cutting back on class size this year? I'd expected that to be the kind of thing that would be perpetually postponed.

LockBox

Postby LockBox » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:56 pm

apollo2015 wrote:
Lasers wrote:congrats on everyone who has been admitted and good luck to those waiting/on the waitlist.

They are serious about cutting back on class size this year? I'd expected that to be the kind of thing that would be perpetually postponed.

Source?

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:07 pm

LockBox wrote:
apollo2015 wrote:

Source?

Email to the whole student body.

splitbrain

Postby splitbrain » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:42 pm

First I was impressed by their employment reporting, now I am impressed by their steps to cut back. That's fantastic.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:18 pm

apollo2015 wrote:

dean wu is not one to mess around.

aliceydu

Postby aliceydu » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:24 am

Lasers wrote:
apollo2015 wrote:

I read that in his Strategic Plan. LOL. (My mom would love for me to have a strategic plan, too.) Is that tailored towards improving rankings? Smaller professor to student ratio?

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:04 pm

aliceydu wrote:
Lasers wrote:
apollo2015 wrote:

I read that in his Strategic Plan. LOL. (My mom would love for me to have a strategic plan, too.) Is that tailored towards improving rankings? Smaller professor to student ratio?

yes, aimed at improving rankings.

i believe smaller class size means student/faculty ratio goes up, less students to account for in terms of employment, likely better stats for the incoming class. if they were smart, they would curtail LEOP admissions more than the regular admissions.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:35 pm

Lasers wrote:yes, aimed at improving rankings.

i believe smaller class size means student/faculty ratio goes up, less students to account for in terms of employment, likely better stats for the incoming class. if they were smart, they would curtail LEOP admissions more than the regular admissions.

Yeah, LEOP really hurts the stats, but I really like the idea of the program. I would feel really shitty about hastings if they stopped it just for the rankings though.

ttnguyen

Postby ttnguyen » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:36 pm

FYI-just returned home from the Irvine Alumni meet & greet. Met some neat people, got great insight, Dean Wu gives a nice little speech. It was fairly formal--most alums & staff were in suits. Women wore dresses & suits in case anyone's wondering. They provided drinks & some yummy appetizers...but i didn't get to eat since it's hard to eat while conversing...haha. :)

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:44 pm

ilovesf wrote:

Yeah, LEOP really hurts the stats, but I really like the idea of the program. I would feel really shitty about hastings if they stopped it just for the rankings though.

i don't want to get into it here, but LEOP is a totally unfair advantage. i know people in the program...it's pretty insane what they got first semester. i'm all for what LEOP represents, but they went too far, imo.

i'll just leave it at that.

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:18 am

Lasers wrote:i don't want to get into it here, but LEOP is a totally unfair advantage. i know people in the program...it's pretty insane what they got first semester. i'm all for what LEOP represents, but they went too far, imo.

Don't leave it hanging after a tease like that. Put out.

calawdude

Postby calawdude » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:17 am

ilovesf wrote:

I agree. If Hastings did anything with LEOP, it wouldn't be Hastings anymore, and the school stands for a lot of good things.

Good thing we're keeping it civil, though. No need for bad blood in this thread. It's all love. Haha.

FYI: I went to the Irvine alumni event. Dean Wu is an amazing speaker. He made a lot of good points about Hastings that won me over, but much of it I had already realized when I was comparing schools. I suggest you guys go to the event closest to you if you can.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:32 pm

calawdude wrote:
ilovesf wrote:

I agree. If Hastings did anything with LEOP, it wouldn't be Hastings anymore, and the school stands for a lot of good things.

Good thing we're keeping it civil, though. No need for bad blood in this thread. It's all love. Haha.

FYI: I went to the Irvine alumni event. Dean Wu is an amazing speaker. He made a lot of good points about Hastings that won me over, but much of it I had already realized when I was comparing schools. I suggest you guys go to the event closest to you if you can.

to be honest, dean wu is awesome. incredible speaker, and really, really smart. i feel he'll change hastings for the better, but it will take a few years.

i've seen him walking outside hastings in full motorcycle gear, helmet in tow, on his way to the parking lot. great guy.

bobloblaw'slawblog

Postby bobloblaw'slawblog » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:39 pm

calawdude wrote:
ilovesf wrote:

I'm considering Hastings but unfortunately I am working outside of CA right now and cannot attend any of the alumni events / admitted student events.

Would you mind sharing some (or all) of the points Dean Wu made in his speech?

TYia

ps. go bears(?) !

lakers3peat

Postby lakers3peat » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:47 pm

wait please go into more detail about LEOP here or PM me about it...

i had no idea what it was but one of my friends messaged me on facebook and asked if I got into hastings via LEOP. I didnt even know what it was, then I looked it up and was all ¿wtf mate?

calawdude

Postby calawdude » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:14 pm

bobloblaw'slawblog wrote:
calawdude wrote:
ilovesf wrote:

I'm considering Hastings but unfortunately I am working outside of CA right now and cannot attend any of the alumni events / admitted student events.

Would you mind sharing some (or all) of the points Dean Wu made in his speech?

TYia

ps. go bears(?) !

Sure. FYI: I actually arrived about 50 minutes late (even though I had started driving 3 hours earlier!), so I'm sure I missed some points. Prior to the event, I had already decided I wanted a lot of options when it came time to study abroad. Dean Wu talked about Hastings being very "international" given its student body and its exchange programs with schools overseas. He talked about California being part of the Pacific rim (which is great for trade) and how Hastings students can benefit from this "international" culture. Being able to speak a foreign language is important to me, so I compared the options Hastings had with some other law schools and had already decided on Hastings for this very reason. Also, if you want to get into public service, Hastings is a great place to start because it's centrally located in a big city and the school has a history/culture of community involvement. There will be tons of opportunities and the experience will be invaluable.

Before I sound anymore like a brochure, those of you who were also there, please feel free to chime in. As I had mentioned earlier, I was 50 minutes late. Haha.

melissaraffalow

Postby melissaraffalow » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:19 pm

I'm creating a facebook group for students who are attending and who will be in the class of 2015. Add me on Facebook if you're definitely attending cause it won't let me create the group without selecting friends!

aarias11

Postby aarias11 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:46 pm

Lasers wrote:
ilovesf wrote:

i don't want to get into it here, but LEOP is a totally unfair advantage. i know people in the program...it's pretty insane what they got first semester. i'm all for what LEOP represents, but they went too far, imo.

I got accepted through LEOP I have an LSAT of 167 and major G.P.A of 3.85 do you guys think I'm going to bring down the medians? I wouldn't want to ruin anybody's law school experience.

lawgeekgrl

Postby lawgeekgrl » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:53 pm

aarias11 wrote:I got accepted through LEOP I have an LSAT of 167 and major G.P.A of 3.85 do you guys think I'm going to bring down the medians? I wouldn't want to ruin anybody's law school experience.

You are my hero :)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”