Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
hadisious
Posts: 423
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:05 am

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby hadisious » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:07 pm

odetojefferson wrote:
hadisious wrote:Anybody heard anything about scholarship info? If so was it via snail mail or what? I was admitted 1/19.


They don't award any aid (merit or need-based) until you submit your FAFSA and their supplement --LinkRemoved--. The deadline is March 1st.

Ah ha! Thanks for the quick response and info.

Beachbum89
Posts: 192
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:08 am

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby Beachbum89 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:29 pm

Does anyone know if you can submit their financial aid supplement online instead of having to mail it in?

User avatar
hadisious
Posts: 423
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:05 am

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby hadisious » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:25 am

Beachbum89 wrote:Does anyone know if you can submit their financial aid supplement online instead of having to mail it in?

+1

User avatar
onedavetoomany
Posts: 138
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:24 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby onedavetoomany » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:20 am

hadisious wrote:
Beachbum89 wrote:Does anyone know if you can submit their financial aid supplement online instead of having to mail it in?

+1


I wondered the same thing, but will probably just mail it tomorrow.

Does anyone know if you should include spouse's income under "Next Academic Year Estimate of Assistance"? I filed a joint tax return with my wife, so I felt like it shouldn't be included.

User avatar
lakers3peat
Posts: 493
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:10 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby lakers3peat » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:43 pm

odetojefferson wrote:
hadisious wrote:Anybody heard anything about scholarship info? If so was it via snail mail or what? I was admitted 1/19.


They don't award any aid (merit or need-based) until you submit your FAFSA and their supplement --LinkRemoved--. The deadline is March 1st.




I dont know that this is necessarily true. I think you qualify for merit based aid regardless of whether or not you submit FAFSA. I sent an email and they said merit based aid will be given out at the end of this month.

User avatar
odetojefferson
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby odetojefferson » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:00 pm

lakers3peat wrote:
odetojefferson wrote:
hadisious wrote:Anybody heard anything about scholarship info? If so was it via snail mail or what? I was admitted 1/19.


They don't award any aid (merit or need-based) until you submit your FAFSA and their supplement --LinkRemoved--. The deadline is March 1st.




I dont know that this is necessarily true. I think you qualify for merit based aid regardless of whether or not you submit FAFSA. I sent an email and they said merit based aid will be given out at the end of this month.


Oooh, well thats exciting. Thanks for the update. I just kinda assumed because they always had the reputation of being pretty stingy with merit aid.

Just looked it up and saw this on their website:

UC Hastings awards more than $600,000 in scholarships to entering students. Other than the Patiño Fellowship listed below, there is no need to make a separate application for any entering student scholarship. Some admitted students will receive scholarship offers along with their letter of admission; additional scholarship awards will be made by letter in the middle of April.


--LinkRemoved--

A couple of them say "academic achievement and financial need" so I don't think the FAFSA will be a bad idea for schollys.

LSN looks like no one has gotten any scholarships yet though. Dunno if thats a good sign or bad sign.

User avatar
hadisious
Posts: 423
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:05 am

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby hadisious » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:11 pm

So is everyone submitting it in addition to their FAFSA or no? I probably won't be attending Hastings but should I get a decent scholarship I want the option there. So would I still put "I will attend Hastings College both semesters"?

User avatar
odetojefferson
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby odetojefferson » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:14 pm

hadisious wrote:So is everyone submitting it in addition to their FAFSA or no? I probably won't be attending Hastings but should I get a decent scholarship I want the option there. So would I still put "I will attend Hastings College both semesters"?


Definitely. I think the semester option is for transfers or something.

I don't think they will look at your FAFSA without the supplement.

User avatar
onedavetoomany
Posts: 138
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:24 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby onedavetoomany » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:17 pm

I read somewhere that they give up to $15k need based grants and $11k merit based grants. I'll look for the link after work and post it in the thread.

User avatar
onedavetoomany
Posts: 138
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:24 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby onedavetoomany » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:34 pm

Dean Canada wrote:Well, my pitch is pretty simple. For most students, the sticker price can be misleading. Like private schools, public schools like UC Hastings effectively discounts the cost of attending law school for many students, so rarely will students pay the full $47,000, which is what we list for out-of-state attendees this the upcoming year. Last year, for example, about 75% of our students received an institutional grant, which averaged $11,000 per student. In addition, over 20% of our students received scholarships that went as high as $15,000 per year. So I always tell students do not be deterred by the sticker price. If you feel that, aside from the cost of attendance, Hastings meets your criteria in terms of what you’re looking for in a law school, then you should go ahead and apply. You will not know your financial commitment until after you are admitted, when you receive a package from our financial aid office. We also offer a generous loan forgiveness program, Public Interest Career Assistance Program (PICAP), for those who choose to use their skills and talents to support the common good. You should keep this in mind too when you’re considering costs.


Here is the link: http://www.admissionsdean.com/researchi ... reg-canada

happycat
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:50 am

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby happycat » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:55 am

Can anyone please kindly tell me why i haven't heard anything from them? My file was completed 12/04.
Is my file lost somewhere in the corner?

User avatar
odetojefferson
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby odetojefferson » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:54 am

happycat wrote:Can anyone please kindly tell me why i haven't heard anything from them? My file was completed 12/04.
Is my file lost somewhere in the corner?


They only started admitting people a few weeks ago. I'm sure many more decisions have to be made still!

User avatar
odetojefferson
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby odetojefferson » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:58 am

onedavetoomany wrote:
Dean Canada wrote:Well, my pitch is pretty simple. For most students, the sticker price can be misleading. Like private schools, public schools like UC Hastings effectively discounts the cost of attending law school for many students, so rarely will students pay the full $47,000, which is what we list for out-of-state attendees this the upcoming year. Last year, for example, about 75% of our students received an institutional grant, which averaged $11,000 per student. In addition, over 20% of our students received scholarships that went as high as $15,000 per year. So I always tell students do not be deterred by the sticker price. If you feel that, aside from the cost of attendance, Hastings meets your criteria in terms of what you’re looking for in a law school, then you should go ahead and apply. You will not know your financial commitment until after you are admitted, when you receive a package from our financial aid office. We also offer a generous loan forgiveness program, Public Interest Career Assistance Program (PICAP), for those who choose to use their skills and talents to support the common good. You should keep this in mind too when you’re considering costs.


Here is the link: http://www.admissionsdean.com/researchi ... reg-canada


onedavetoomany wrote:I read somewhere that they give up to $15k need based grants and $11k merit based grants. I'll look for the link after work and post it in the thread.


So grants may be higher, but an average of 11k. 20% of people getting scholarships is brutally low, though.

happycat
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:50 am

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby happycat » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:49 pm

Thank you!

User avatar
ttnguyen
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:06 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby ttnguyen » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:07 pm

FYI Regarding aid/supplement form/etc:

I submitted my supplement form via e-mail to the generic financial aid e-mail. I send it on the 19th, and called to follow up today. They confirmed they have received it.

I then asked about the timeline of getting my award letter. I was told this--"we will probably not download FAFSA data until MARCH. We taking into consideration your merit factors, FAFSA and supplement form (assuming you submit one) and send out a single award letter."

So apparently, this is going to take forever. It's a bit ridiculous. How are we supposed to make comparisons and/or use such packages to leverage more aid when some other schools have seat deposits due in April.

I'm probably being overly anxious, but i just want to know where I am going and how much money I can get already.

kolokena
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:58 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby kolokena » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:22 pm

Got my award email yesterday, $15K renewable each year but it says you have to show continued need. Not sure what that entails (i.e. only myself or parents assets included). The email said that this is the largest award they give (aside from Veteran benefits)--which seems a little lackluster b/c even with (estimated) need based grants it doesn't cover the full COA. The email also estimated that need based grants would range from $7.5 to 11.5K this year and would be sent out after other forms are received. Already filed the FAFSA and I faxed the Hastings supplement today.

surfSD
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby surfSD » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:30 pm

How long after receiving the acceptance letter did everyone get their admit packet? Been over a week now here, wondering if I should email them.

Beachbum89
Posts: 192
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:08 am

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby Beachbum89 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:48 pm

surfSD wrote:How long after receiving the acceptance letter did everyone get their admit packet? Been over a week now here, wondering if I should email them.


I think it was at least a week for me, maybe a little longer and I live in LA.

User avatar
onedavetoomany
Posts: 138
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:24 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby onedavetoomany » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:22 am

Anyone else planning to visit the campus soon?

Beachbum89
Posts: 192
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:08 am

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby Beachbum89 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:53 am

onedavetoomany wrote:Anyone else planning to visit the campus soon?


I am!

Saturday is my busiest work day so unfortunately I can't attend most schools ASW's. Instead my dad and I are gonna fly up to the Bay Area next month and were gonna spend a day or two checking out Hastings and San Francisco and then we're gonna drive to Davis and spend some time checking out their law school as well. Not sure what else I'll l do at each school other than taking a tour, sitting in on a class, and checking out the surrounding area as well as looking at housing a bit in the event I choose either school.

User avatar
aarias11
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:23 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby aarias11 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:03 pm

I got 11k merit aid and can get need based after fafsa

Beachbum89
Posts: 192
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:08 am

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby Beachbum89 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:29 pm

aarias11 wrote:I got 11k merit aid and can get need based after fafsa


How are they notifying everyone of merit aid offers?

onefatbovine
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:51 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby onefatbovine » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:08 pm

Beachbum89 wrote:
surfSD wrote:How long after receiving the acceptance letter did everyone get their admit packet? Been over a week now here, wondering if I should email them.


I think it was at least a week for me, maybe a little longer and I live in LA.


I live 2 blocks away from Hastings and I got my packet about a week and a half after I got the first acceptance letter.

apollo2015
Posts: 359
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:13 am

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby apollo2015 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:50 pm

surfSD wrote:How long after receiving the acceptance letter did everyone get their admit packet? Been over a week now here, wondering if I should email them.


I was accepted as part of the EDs in December by e-mail/phone. Got the packet about a month later. In my case they sent the acceptance letter in the packet as opposed to separately.

User avatar
USMCMatt
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:57 am

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby USMCMatt » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:56 am

onedavetoomany wrote:Anyone else planning to visit the campus soon?


Campus? LOL...more like a couple buildings in the Tenderloin. Don't go to Hastings 'cause of the "campus." You have to want the education. The Tenderloin (for those not familiar with SF) is pretty ghetto. I think Hastings has done an admirable job of trying to clean up the area, but they still have a walk-out security service, if that's any indication. Just sayin'...not trying to be discouraging.

San Francisco as a whole is a kick-ass city though....AMAZING food, good wine, etc.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], Ferrisjso and 5 guests