Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ensign85

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby ensign85 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:39 pm

Pleasye wrote:I really dislike that we have to make the decision of whether or not we want to attend as soon as (if) we get off the WL :? .

IF I get in I will be out of the country at the time. Does that mean I have to designate my person AND give them the ability to say YES or NO on the phone if they call? They can't even call me to let me know and let me think about it? :|

The waitlist web page answers these questions. You don't decide while on the phone. I think it's a 48 hour period to deposit.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:46 pm

lrslayer wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
lrslayer wrote:Do you think a letter of interest would help. I live here with my partner and son and would really benefit staying here. i am kind of in shock still :(

Definitely. I would say that in the letter too so they know you want to stay in SF and will attend if admitted. A ton of people were admitted of the WL last year with GPAs around yours but a few LSAT points lower. Good luck!!

i was reading over the wait last year and it looks like people were terrified to send additional documents even when waitlisted. can you speak to that? i have significant changes but don't want to piss them off or anything.

Hmm yeah, I don't know. I think in general, the idea is that hastings doesn't like any extra documents. I wasn't waitlisted so I can't really speak to that specifically. I'd hate to give out bad advice about sending in waitlist materials. I doubt it would piss them off, but its possible they could just be ignored. Have you taken a tour of the school yet?

martorem

Postby martorem » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:48 pm

ensign85 wrote:
Pleasye wrote:I really dislike that we have to make the decision of whether or not we want to attend as soon as (if) we get off the WL :? .

IF I get in I will be out of the country at the time. Does that mean I have to designate my person AND give them the ability to say YES or NO on the phone if they call? They can't even call me to let me know and let me think about it? :|

The waitlist web page answers these questions. You don't decide while on the phone. I think it's a 48 hour period to deposit.

Where do you see a time frame to decide? I could be wrong, and maybe there is more information elsewhere, but I see, "a $500.00 non-refundable deposit will be due immediately," which doesn't seem to give much wiggle room for decision-making. And why would they have you designate a person to answer and decide for you if they were going to let you take a few days? I'm pretty sure you have to be ready to give an answer as soon as they call. :(

lrslayer

Postby lrslayer » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:49 pm

ilovesf wrote:
lrslayer wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
lrslayer wrote:Do you think a letter of interest would help. I live here with my partner and son and would really benefit staying here. i am kind of in shock still :(

Definitely. I would say that in the letter too so they know you want to stay in SF and will attend if admitted. A ton of people were admitted of the WL last year with GPAs around yours but a few LSAT points lower. Good luck!!

i was reading over the wait last year and it looks like people were terrified to send additional documents even when waitlisted. can you speak to that? i have significant changes but don't want to piss them off or anything.

Hmm yeah, I don't know. I think in general, the idea is that hastings doesn't like any extra documents. I wasn't waitlisted so I can't really speak to that specifically. I'd hate to give out bad advice about sending in waitlist materials. I doubt it would piss them off, but its possible they could just be ignored. Have you taken a tour of the school yet?

well, not really. i took the lsat there but no formal tour or anything. my buddy said he would show me around too but i think i should get my name in admissions ear by making a formal appointment. i think i will mail a letter tomorrow to dean canada. the wl email said not to call/email so in my mind, snail mail is fair game :mrgreen:

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:51 pm

lrslayer wrote:well, not really. i took the lsat there but no formal tour or anything. my buddy said he would show me around too but i think i should get my name in admissions ear by making a formal appointment. i think i will mail a letter tomorrow to dean canada. the wl email said not to call/email so in my mind, snail mail is fair game :mrgreen:

I'd definitely sign up for a tour if I were you, just because you live in the city so it isn't a hassle and it definitely can't hurt.

lrslayer

Postby lrslayer » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:53 pm

ilovesf wrote:
lrslayer wrote:well, not really. i took the lsat there but no formal tour or anything. my buddy said he would show me around too but i think i should get my name in admissions ear by making a formal appointment. i think i will mail a letter tomorrow to dean canada. the wl email said not to call/email so in my mind, snail mail is fair game :mrgreen:

I'd definitely sign up for a tour if I were you, just because you live in the city so it isn't a hassle and it definitely can't hurt.

ya, i will do that right away! thanks. maybe i just slide the letter under his door while i am there ;)

ucbkenn

Postby ucbkenn » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:54 pm

ensign85 wrote:
ucbkenn wrote:Waitlisted. Withdrew. Wah wah.

Waitlisted today?

Yeah

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:18 pm

ensign85 wrote:The waitlist web page answers these questions. You don't decide while on the phone. I think it's a 48 hour period to deposit.

Do you mind linking what you're referring to?

I clicked the link they sent to us in the WL email and it clearly states:

"Once offered a place at Hastings from the waitlist:

1. A $500.00 non-refundable deposit will be due immediately. All deposits are credited toward tuition. (Note: A deposit is NOT required to hold your place on the waitlist.)
2. You will be required to accept or reject the offer of admission immediately."

Also, regarding designating another person:
"If you will be unavailable by telephone at any time in the spring or summer, please designate a person to act on your behalf. This person must be able to accept an offer for you and make the enrollment deposit ($500) in your name."

lrslayer

Postby lrslayer » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:24 pm

i read the wording in the waitlist info and thought 'scare tactics' right away. i think its a crafty way of nudging those less serious applicants towards withdrawing. i would be surprised if they demanded an on the spot decision. i would say no just out of principal cause that is rude; you don't make an applicant wait for you to 'miraculously' accept them after god knows how long and expect an immediate answer! for the record, this is all my own conjecture and should by no means be taken as good sound advice or addition to this thread :)

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:26 pm

lrslayer wrote:i read the wording in the waitlist info and thought 'scare tactics' right away. i think its a crafty way of nudging those less serious applicants towards withdrawing. i would be surprised if they demanded an on the spot decision. i would say no just out of principal cause that is rude; you don't make an applicant wait for you to 'miraculously' accept them after god knows how long and expect an immediate answer! for the record, this is all my own conjecture and should by no means be taken as good sound advice or addition to this thread :)

Haha I kind of thought that too but the fact that I have to designate another person to answer makes me more nervous about it.

restless

Postby restless » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:28 pm

I'm a current 1L at Hastings that was accepted off the WL last year. Although the website says you have to "accept immediately," Dean Canada gave me a few days to decide after he called me. I believe I was called on Tuesday and was given until that Friday to accept. I agree it's not much time, especially since you won't know your financial aid package yet. However, I was able to receive some merit aid ($12,000). Not a lot relative to the tuition+living expenses, but I just wanted to give you a general idea of what to expect.

Good luck to y'all on the WL. Hastings was my #1 choice and getting off the WL (which was in May!) was such a relieving/crazy/well-fucking-worth-it experience. Also, some hope to those of you with below-median numbers: I got in with a 163/3.33, decent softs.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:21 am

Thanks restless! I understand them not giving much time but "immediately" is a little bit intense. Also really nice to hear that you got in with yours numbers as mine as pretty similar (LSAT is lower though) :)

bingbang1025

Postby bingbang1025 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:13 pm

how would you guys compare Loyola (96k scholarship) and Hastings (nothing so far) in terms of trying to work in LA? Does hastings have a reputation in LA? sorry for the broad-stroked questions, just trying to get a sense of how to weigh Hastings in my cycle.

dproduct

Postby dproduct » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:15 pm

bingbang1025 wrote:how would you guys compare Loyola (96k scholarship) and Hastings (nothing so far) in terms of trying to work in LA? Does hastings have a reputation in LA? sorry for the broad-stroked questions, just trying to get a sense of how to weigh Hastings in my cycle.

Not really. The LA market is already heavily saturated. Stanford kids can come down and grab what they want. Boalt has a good list of almuni here and then you have to take a backseat to UCLA/USC. Not only that, but LMU/Pepperdine are not too far away from Hastings in regards to rankings and their almuni networks are extensive in the city.

Certainly not impossible, but not favorable. If you want LA, I would definitely consider LMU. Their ranking does not really display their placement ability. They have a lot of alumni in a lot of high profile firms. LMU is a respectable name in LA.

apollo2015

Postby apollo2015 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:22 pm

For what its worth, according to the USN&R, Hastings is rated 3.8/5 by lawyers and judges while Loyola is rated 2.9/5, USC is rated 3.6/5, and UC Los Angeles is rated 3.9/5. Law is regional, though, so definitely consider any of those So-Cal schools if you want to practice in Los Angeles.

bessmarvin89

Postby bessmarvin89 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:31 am

bingbang1025 wrote:how would you guys compare Loyola (96k scholarship) and Hastings (nothing so far) in terms of trying to work in LA? Does hastings have a reputation in LA? sorry for the broad-stroked questions, just trying to get a sense of how to weigh Hastings in my cycle.

In the same boat as you buddy. Got into Hastings and LMU. I want to work in LA too

lrslayer

Postby lrslayer » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:56 pm

I have to be at the courthouse tomorrow morning for some intern paperwork anyhow so i went ahead and signed up for the tour. maybe it helps me off the waitlist. still can't believe they did me like that!

horrorbusiness

Postby horrorbusiness » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:15 pm

got the admitted student packet today. comes in a nice folder with general information and the official acceptance letter.

no mention of scholly info. also, i applied for LEOP, and have so far heard nothing about it.

RoseMVP

Postby RoseMVP » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:56 pm

horrorbusiness wrote:got the admitted student packet today. comes in a nice folder with general information and the official acceptance letter.

no mention of scholly info. also, i applied for LEOP, and have so far heard nothing about it.

Maybe I haven't browsed this thread as much as I should, but you got a packet? All I got was a dinky acceptance letter (and a friendly voicemail). Haha I guess you can't win them all.

lawgeekgrl

Postby lawgeekgrl » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:01 pm

horrorbusiness wrote:got the admitted student packet today. comes in a nice folder with general information and the official acceptance letter.

Congrats!

When did you apply?

steepair

Postby steepair » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:20 pm

anyone going to the march 24th admitted students day?

apollo2015

Postby apollo2015 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:17 am

steepair wrote:anyone going to the march 24th admitted students day?

Yep!

odetojefferson

Postby odetojefferson » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:45 am

RoseMVP wrote:

Maybe I haven't browsed this thread as much as I should, but you got a packet? All I got was a dinky acceptance letter (and a friendly voicemail). Haha I guess you can't win them all.

I just got the little letter too. (But I am out of the country so no call makes sense)

I don't think we hear of scholly until mid-March after FAFSA is submitted.

bessmarvin89

Postby bessmarvin89 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:43 am

I applied LEOP too. Did the congratulations letter say you were accepted into the LEOP program? I din't receive the nice folder lol only an acceptance letter and a very friendly voicemail.

bessmarvin89

Postby bessmarvin89 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:48 am

SO guys side note, I looked at living expenses and stuff and its 65K+ at Hastings, my jaw dropped! Anyone else worried about tuition expenses? I haven't received an acceptance package only a letter and a voicemail. Worried Anyone? BTW I haven't ever been to San Fran so trying to attend admitted students day. lol

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”