Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Blumpbeef
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby Blumpbeef » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:51 pm

mertle wrote:just give yourself plenty of time to look because postings on craigslist go really fast.


Truer words have never been spoken.

User avatar
lrslayer
Posts: 586
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:38 am

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby lrslayer » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:12 am

CheeSauce wrote:
Blumpbeef wrote:
lrslayer wrote:
kekepania wrote:I just realized that I didn't put my LSAC account number on personal statement and resume! ARRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH!

me neither. was that a thing? oops


Yes for Boalt and ucla too, iirc


Oh no me neither!!! I just went back and looked at the instructions and it didn't say that we needed to under the personal statement and resume section but it did it another random section :(


I doubt this is a ding worthy transgression...

apollo2015
Posts: 359
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:13 am

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby apollo2015 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:18 am

The area around Hastings is filled with diversity and excitement.

When one has had one's fill of diversity and excitement, one can hop on the MUNI Metro (the local intra-City subway) which has a station one block away from campus.

One station to the east (8 blocks away) is the Powell shopping center, cable cars, and union square. Lots of upscale shopping options there (Brooks Brothers, Nordstrom's, Bloomingdale's, etc).

Two and three stations east are Montgomery St. and Embarcadero St. which have more shopping options and upscale jobs.

Two stations west of Hastings is Church St. which has a big 24 hour Safeway with a marvelous wine selection. I'll probably use that as my main source for groceries once I move into the Tower. Church is a fun hipster area, particularly around Dolores Park and http://biritecreamery.com/.

Three stations west of Hastings is the world famous Castro Street.

User avatar
lakers3peat
Posts: 493
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:10 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby lakers3peat » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:59 am

If I go, I think I'm going to just live in the tower? I'm not usually down with on campus housing but I'm not really in the mood to plunder san fran for housing listings. It seems pretty pricy for nothing though. $1550 for a 500 sqft apt. Wtf? I'm from LA and this is outrageous

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11742
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby ilovesf » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:00 am

lakers3peat wrote:If I go, I think I'm going to just live in the tower? I'm not usually down with on campus housing but I'm not really in the mood to plunder san fran for housing listings. It seems pretty pricy for nothing though. $1550 for a 500 sqft apt. Wtf? I'm from LA and this is outrageous

You can definitely find cheaper places in SF. They jack up the prices in the name of convenience.

mbkc03
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:11 am

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby mbkc03 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:08 am

ttnguyen wrote:Why have I gotten nothing :( Went complete in mid November... boo hooooo


The people working in admissions just got back from vacation. I just got a reply back from them about a my deposit after 4 weeks. You should hear from them realll soon. good luck
Last edited by mbkc03 on Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
legalsinger
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:53 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby legalsinger » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:16 am

Wow, thanks for all the replies and advice! I'm pretty anxious, but stoked at the same time. Two weeks til I roadtrip it down. Good luck to everyone!

User avatar
Blumpbeef
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby Blumpbeef » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:36 am

ilovesf wrote:
lakers3peat wrote:If I go, I think I'm going to just live in the tower? I'm not usually down with on campus housing but I'm not really in the mood to plunder san fran for housing listings. It seems pretty pricy for nothing though. $1550 for a 500 sqft apt. Wtf? I'm from LA and this is outrageous

You can definitely find cheaper places in SF. They jack up the prices in the name of convenience.


I don't know what the towers are like quality-wise, but those prices are actually on the lower end of what I'm looking at in the (Lower) Nob Hill area.

Housing in Davis is definitely a much nicer deal. Also, either forget about having a car or plan on paying $150-$300 a month for parking. Zip Car is a decent alternative though, but only for short trips. To rent a car for the whole day is somewhere around $80, which is pretty insane.

User avatar
odetojefferson
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby odetojefferson » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:45 am

Blumpbeef wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
lakers3peat wrote:If I go, I think I'm going to just live in the tower? I'm not usually down with on campus housing but I'm not really in the mood to plunder san fran for housing listings. It seems pretty pricy for nothing though. $1550 for a 500 sqft apt. Wtf? I'm from LA and this is outrageous

You can definitely find cheaper places in SF. They jack up the prices in the name of convenience.


I don't know what the towers are like quality-wise, but those prices are actually on the lower end of what I'm looking at in the (Lower) Nob Hill area.

Housing in Davis is definitely a much nicer deal. Also, either forget about having a car or plan on paying $150-$300 a month for parking. Zip Car is a decent alternative though, but only for short trips. To rent a car for the whole day is somewhere around $80, which is pretty insane.


One of my friends in the area actually told me there it is really difficult to find available housing in SF period. Is this not the case? (I think he just wants me to move to Oakland)

User avatar
Blumpbeef
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby Blumpbeef » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:16 am

odetojefferson wrote:
Blumpbeef wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
lakers3peat wrote:If I go, I think I'm going to just live in the tower? I'm not usually down with on campus housing but I'm not really in the mood to plunder san fran for housing listings. It seems pretty pricy for nothing though. $1550 for a 500 sqft apt. Wtf? I'm from LA and this is outrageous

You can definitely find cheaper places in SF. They jack up the prices in the name of convenience.


I don't know what the towers are like quality-wise, but those prices are actually on the lower end of what I'm looking at in the (Lower) Nob Hill area.

Housing in Davis is definitely a much nicer deal. Also, either forget about having a car or plan on paying $150-$300 a month for parking. Zip Car is a decent alternative though, but only for short trips. To rent a car for the whole day is somewhere around $80, which is pretty insane.


One of my friends in the area actually told me there it is really difficult to find available housing in SF period. Is this not the case? (I think he just wants me to move to Oakland)


If you have $1500 to blow on rent, and you can sign a 1 year lease, and you have proof of income and good credit, it isn't too hard. If you're a normal 23 year old, it is soul-crushingly difficult.

I sent out about 25 emails in the past two days from CL postings, I got 4 responses, 2 of which I'm checking out tomorrow and 2 that were no-gos. (This is my second go, I got a lot better at knowing which postings to try for and which to not bother with). I also tried a website called Easyroommate, my return rate there was essentially 0/10.

Here are some of the problems:

1. Too many people. The place I'm staying at now, basically, the guy said he posted the CL ad at 10pm and he woke up at 4am because his phone was going insane. He said he got something like 50 emails just overnight. Another place I checked out earlier was the same story.
2. Girl people. A very large chunk of listings are girls-only. Actually, yesterday I saw an ad that contained "I'm a man in my late 40's. Ideally, I'm looking for a female roommate attending college".
3. Old people. Do you want to live with them? I don't, especially not the guy from #2. There goes about 60% of the available options.
4. Queer people. I don't have a problem living with gay guys, but you might. I'd say around 10% of listings require you to be gay friendly.
5. Weird people. I do have a problem here. "This is a barefoot household". "I need a place for my yoga mat". "No meat in the kitchen". etc.
6. Car'd people. Parking in downtown is miserable. You need to find an apartment that is close to BART/Muni, which is easy in downtown but much more difficult if you are living in the south bay (or oakland).

SF is an awesome city though. I think it's worth putting up with, don't go to Oakland.

User avatar
odetojefferson
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby odetojefferson » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:51 am

Blumpbeef wrote:
If you have $1500 to blow on rent, and you can sign a 1 year lease, and you have proof of income and good credit, it isn't too hard. If you're a normal 23 year old, it is soul-crushingly difficult.

I sent out about 25 emails in the past two days from CL postings, I got 4 responses, 2 of which I'm checking out tomorrow and 2 that were no-gos. (This is my second go, I got a lot better at knowing which postings to try for and which to not bother with). I also tried a website called Easyroommate, my return rate there was essentially 0/10.

Here are some of the problems:

1. Too many people. The place I'm staying at now, basically, the guy said he posted the CL ad at 10pm and he woke up at 4am because his phone was going insane. He said he got something like 50 emails just overnight. Another place I checked out earlier was the same story.
2. Girl people. A very large chunk of listings are girls-only. Actually, yesterday I saw an ad that contained "I'm a man in my late 40's. Ideally, I'm looking for a female roommate attending college".
3. Old people. Do you want to live with them? I don't, especially not the guy from #2. There goes about 60% of the available options.
4. Queer people. I don't have a problem living with gay guys, but you might. I'd say around 10% of listings require you to be gay friendly.
5. Weird people. I do have a problem here. "This is a barefoot household". "I need a place for my yoga mat". "No meat in the kitchen". etc.
6. Car'd people. Parking in downtown is miserable. You need to find an apartment that is close to BART/Muni, which is easy in downtown but much more difficult if you are living in the south bay (or oakland).

SF is an awesome city though. I think it's worth putting up with, don't go to Oakland.


Wow. Thanks for the insight. I will probably just live in the tower because this encouraged me to look at CL at it looks totally overwhelming, especially because I will be coming from out of state.

User avatar
Blumpbeef
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby Blumpbeef » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:03 am

Out of state makes it really difficult, because they have tons of people who are willing to see the place in person. I got my current place over the internet, but in order to do so I had to send some guy I'd never met $100, and I never got to see the apartment before committing. It was just temporary, so I was cool with it, but I probably wouldn't have done that if I was getting it with a 1 year lease.

Keep in mind though that hostels/weekly rentals are relatively easy to find, if you want to come a couple weeks in advance and do some apartment hunting.

I'd just take the towers though...

User avatar
Blumpbeef
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby Blumpbeef » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:17 am

BTW, favorite quote from a CL ad,

"no smoking, I have a parrot"

User avatar
lrslayer
Posts: 586
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:38 am

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby lrslayer » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:23 pm

Living in the peninsula near a bart or having a car to park at bart is an option too. i pay 1800 for a townhome with a yard and driveway in Pacifica. Five minute drive to the day city bart and then ten minutes to civic center. there is tons of great housing outside of the city. i prefer to live in a quieter area with city access. suburbs i guess.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11742
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby ilovesf » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:32 pm

CL can be weird and funny, but I know a lot of people who got pretty great deals through it. One of my friends lives in the tendernob and pays around $800 for his own one bedroom apartment. Deals like that are rare, but they exist.

User avatar
ttnguyen
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:06 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby ttnguyen » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:48 pm

ilovesf wrote:CL can be weird and funny, but I know a lot of people who got pretty great deals through it. One of my friends lives in the tendernob and pays around $800 for his own one bedroom apartment. Deals like that are rare, but they exist.


he is one lucky son of a gun.

User avatar
cactuarX3
Posts: 686
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:51 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby cactuarX3 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:03 pm

I currently live in the bay area and can recommend Emeryville as a GREAT place to live. It's got some sweet apartments, located RIGHT across the bridge from SF and is much less expensive than the city itself. Only downside is there is no BART access directly in Emeryville, but they are close enough to get to via car or even bike.

sfamor
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:27 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby sfamor » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:41 pm

As a long time bay area resident I wanted to give my two cents on the housing situation. Also feel free to PM if you have specific questions about neighborhoods, etc.. I think there are a lot of misconceptions about the neighborhoods in San Francisco and the surrounding areas and where it feels safe, etc.. I lived in the Mission for 5 years which is a super easy commute to the school via BART. There's good combo of long-term latino residents, young families, and hipsters. It shocks me when I hear people who haven't lived there say it's not safe because I never once felt unsafe there. You do hear about some violence, but it is very targeted and you will likely never know it's happened until you read about it in the paper. I now live in Oakland and again it bothers me to see people who say outright "don't live in Oakland!" I live only a couple blocks from BART in a safe neighborhood and I could get to the school way faster and easier than people living in many neighborhoods in San Francisco. Not to mention the spacious 1-bedroom I rent is only $950 a month. Try finding that in SF!! :) Oakland is going through huge changes right now with some really interesting and fun neighborhoods, lots of new restaurants and bars, etc and I think you'd be selling yourself short if you automatically discounted it. I think a lot of this just comes down to taste as well. Another poster mentioned Emeryville, but it just isn't for me. It's a lot of newly constructed condos and the main "downtown" is an outdoor shopping mall with mid-range and high end chain stores. I prefer more character, but again just me :) If you're set on living off campus, my advice is to try to find a furnished sublet that will give you a chance to get your bearings once you arrive and allow you time to figure out which neighborhood is right for you. When you e-mail people off craigslist about a sublet, offer to have an interview over skype or other video chat, give names and numbers of references and be really descriptive when you describe yourself, living habits etc.. I sublet a room a couple years ago and if someone sent me an inquiry e-mail with only a couple sentences, I just deleted it. It is a highly saturated rental market and you have to really sell someone on why you're the best fit!

User avatar
odetojefferson
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby odetojefferson » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:33 pm

sfamor wrote:As a long time bay area resident I wanted to give my two cents on the housing situation. Also feel free to PM if you have specific questions about neighborhoods, etc.. I think there are a lot of misconceptions about the neighborhoods in San Francisco and the surrounding areas and where it feels safe, etc.. I lived in the Mission for 5 years which is a super easy commute to the school via BART. There's good combo of long-term latino residents, young families, and hipsters. It shocks me when I hear people who haven't lived there say it's not safe because I never once felt unsafe there. You do hear about some violence, but it is very targeted and you will likely never know it's happened until you read about it in the paper. I now live in Oakland and again it bothers me to see people who say outright "don't live in Oakland!" I live only a couple blocks from BART in a safe neighborhood and I could get to the school way faster and easier than people living in many neighborhoods in San Francisco. Not to mention the spacious 1-bedroom I rent is only $950 a month. Try finding that in SF!! :) Oakland is going through huge changes right now with some really interesting and fun neighborhoods, lots of new restaurants and bars, etc and I think you'd be selling yourself short if you automatically discounted it. I think a lot of this just comes down to taste as well. Another poster mentioned Emeryville, but it just isn't for me. It's a lot of newly constructed condos and the main "downtown" is an outdoor shopping mall with mid-range and high end chain stores. I prefer more character, but again just me :) If you're set on living off campus, my advice is to try to find a furnished sublet that will give you a chance to get your bearings once you arrive and allow you time to figure out which neighborhood is right for you. When you e-mail people off craigslist about a sublet, offer to have an interview over skype or other video chat, give names and numbers of references and be really descriptive when you describe yourself, living habits etc.. I sublet a room a couple years ago and if someone sent me an inquiry e-mail with only a couple sentences, I just deleted it. It is a highly saturated rental market and you have to really sell someone on why you're the best fit!



I totally agree with you on Oakland. I just figure as a 1L I will be lazy and would do better being close to campus (thus the tower) but I would totally be down for moving to Oakland 2L or after graduation. I stayed with a friend there, and while he was about a 15 minute walk from the BART, there was a lot of stuff available closer. We walked around the lake and bar-hopped and I felt totally safe and was shocked that rents seemed comparable to what I paid to live in a college town in the middle of nowhere.

But thanks for the great advice. SF is no doubt the greatest city I've ever been to and I am excited to settle down there.

User avatar
jengolike
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:42 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby jengolike » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:49 pm

Has anyone who didn't apply for the Early Decision deadline heard back yet?

User avatar
boalthopeful
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:38 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby boalthopeful » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:00 pm

jengolike wrote:Has anyone who didn't apply for the Early Decision deadline heard back yet?


yea got accepted about 3 wks ago via phone // RD

User avatar
hadisious
Posts: 423
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:05 am

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby hadisious » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:26 pm

boalthopeful wrote:
jengolike wrote:Has anyone who didn't apply for the Early Decision deadline heard back yet?


yea got accepted about 3 wks ago via phone // RD

+1 although I think it was 1.5 weeks ago for me

User avatar
aarias11
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:23 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby aarias11 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:51 pm

in via phone call today.

User avatar
aekea
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:10 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby aekea » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:53 pm

I've lived in San Francisco most of my life and I would definitely recommend against going for the tower housing. Yes, it's probably more convenient than finding a place on your own, but law school is going to be stressful enough without having to put up with living in the Tenderloin.

Some revealing anecdotes of moments in the Tenderloin:

Recently I saw one man spit in the face of a well dressed stranger as he was walking by, for no reason. Then he threw a bunch of coupons at him and ran away.

Once, my dad and a coworker had to chase down a woman who had set herself on fire trying to cook Meth so they could extinguish her.

A friend I know who lived in the area for nearly a year woke every morning with a fresh pile of dog sh*t right in front of her door. At least she thought that's what it was. She came home really late one night and discovered that it was not the product of a dog but of a dedicated homeless fellow.

I have never walked through the area without being propositioned for sex. This has been true since I was 12.

San Francisco is a really amazing city. Don't miss out on everything it has to offer by paying too much to live in one of its most depressing neighborhoods.
Last edited by aekea on Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ohcanada
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:09 pm

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Postby ohcanada » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:58 pm

In via phone call today. They're really nice over the phone.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests