Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tropicanax

New

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Post by tropicanax » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:13 am

weird i never got a phone call. complete 1/3 and in via snailmail 1/23. lol why no callll?

bioreboot

New

Post by bioreboot » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:02 pm

apollo2015 wrote:
lawlaw87 wrote:Does anyone know the username and password for admitted students? I got accepted via phone and she said I should be receiving my packet in 2 weeks! I'm planning to attend the open house on March 24th or March 31st so I need to make travel arrangements from now, it would be great if someone could help me, thanks!
Sent it to you in a PM.
In by phone 3/2. Same boat as lawlaw87, will be traveling from D.C. Apollo do you mind sending me the info as well?

Good luck to everyone else that's still waiting!

sdphill

Silver

Post by sdphill » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:31 pm

bioreboot wrote:
apollo2015 wrote:
lawlaw87 wrote:Does anyone know the username and password for admitted students? I got accepted via phone and she said I should be receiving my packet in 2 weeks! I'm planning to attend the open house on March 24th or March 31st so I need to make travel arrangements from now, it would be great if someone could help me, thanks!
Sent it to you in a PM.
In by phone 3/2. Same boat as lawlaw87, will be traveling from D.C. Apollo do you mind sending me the info as well?

Good luck to everyone else that's still waiting!
Can someone send it to me too?

apollo2015

Bronze

Post by apollo2015 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:03 pm

Sure thing bros.

Congratulations to all of the recent admits!

aliceydu

Bronze

Post by aliceydu » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:36 am

Anyone know the deadline for accepting Hastings's offer? STILL haven't gotten the package...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

calawdude

New

Post by calawdude » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:45 pm

aliceydu wrote:Anyone know the deadline for accepting Hastings's offer? STILL haven't gotten the package...
aliceydu, I got my letter yesterday. It said I had to make a deposit by May 1, so I'm guessing you have till that time? I think there will be more information given at the Student Day event.

aliceydu

Bronze

Post by aliceydu » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:43 am

calawdude wrote:
aliceydu wrote:Anyone know the deadline for accepting Hastings's offer? STILL haven't gotten the package...
aliceydu, I got my letter yesterday. It said I had to make a deposit by May 1, so I'm guessing you have till that time? I think there will be more information given at the Student Day event.
Thanks! :) They replied and confirmed the May 1 date. Do you know if financial aid comes with the packet? If I don't see it in there, does that mean they're not offering $$? What if I told them I got into Davis, too... would they offer $$ then? I have no idea how the system works!

Decimal

New

Post by Decimal » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:27 am

aliceydu wrote:
calawdude wrote:
Thanks! :) They replied and confirmed the May 1 date. Do you know if financial aid comes with the packet? If I don't see it in there, does that mean they're not offering $$? What if I told them I got into Davis, too... would they offer $$ then? I have no idea how the system works!
This may only apply to need-based aid and not merit aid but according to an email from Hastings:
"Award letters are typically sent beginning the third week in March. Under normal circumstances there is a two week turnaround between the time a financial aid file becomes complete and the time an award notice is sent. The sooner you complete your file the sooner you will receive an award."

I sometimes feel there is a mutual agreement between Hastings and Davis to not offer much in the way of money...

calawdude

New

Post by calawdude » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:01 pm

aliceydu wrote:
calawdude wrote:
aliceydu, this is what I did, and I think everybody has to do this, too, if they want to be considered for any type of aid. Fill out your FAFSA application (https://fafsa.ed.gov/). This is with the federal government and you should do this no matter which school you go to.

Also, some schools have their own form that you would need to fill out and send in to their financial aid office, in addition to filling out the FAFSA.

Additional form: --LinkRemoved--
Address to send it to can be found at
--LinkRemoved--

The earlier you fill out your FAFSA and send in this additional form to the school, the better. Keep in mind that you should check with every school to see if they have their own financial aid form that you would need to fill out and send in. You wanna do it when there's still money left for them to give out: the earlier, the better. I can't emphasize that enough. I hope this helps.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

aliceydu

Bronze

Post by aliceydu » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:08 pm

calawdude wrote:
aliceydu wrote:
calawdude wrote:
aliceydu, this is what I did, and I think everybody has to do this, too, if they want to be considered for any type of aid. Fill out your FAFSA application (https://fafsa.ed.gov/). This is with the federal government and you should do this no matter which school you go to.

Also, some schools have their own form that you would need to fill out and send in to their financial aid office, in addition to filling out the FAFSA.

Additional form: --LinkRemoved--
Address to send it to can be found at
--LinkRemoved--

The earlier you fill out your FAFSA and send in this additional form to the school, the better. Keep in mind that you should check with every school to see if they have their own financial aid form that you would need to fill out and send in. You wanna do it when there's still money left for them to give out: the earlier, the better. I can't emphasize that enough. I hope this helps.
Whew~ I did FAFSA in February (right after I got my phone call), and I also mailed in the supplement form to Hastings. Thanks :]

steepair

New

Post by steepair » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:02 pm

just got an email telling me i've been awarded $10,000/yr dean's scholarship. need-based aid letters should be coming out by mid-march, according to the email.

confusedlaw

Silver

Post by confusedlaw » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:06 pm

[lis[/list]

15 k a year

goldenflash19

Silver

Post by goldenflash19 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:45 pm

In via phone call today. Pretty excited bout this one :) I've been wanting to California over spring break

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Worker and Parasite

Bronze

Post by Worker and Parasite » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:33 pm

I'm going to the alumni event in the next two weeks, hope to see ya guys there

aekea

Bronze

Post by aekea » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:52 pm

a comment in regards to the TL.

the neighborhood is rapidly changing for the better. 10 years from now, it will be a very different place. anyone who has known the area for more than a few years can verify this. in a certain sense, it is already in the midst of the same process that the mission, soma, hayes valley, lower haight, mid-divis and mid-polk areas went through over the last 10 to 15 years. it is a late bloomer due to complexities of the problems it faces, however, for better or worse, it is only a matter of time before the pace of change hits a critical mass and really starts to accelerate
It's difficult to compare the Tenderloin to neighborhoods like lower haight, mid-polk, the mission, and so forth. Those neighborhoods are largely comprised of single and multi-family homes, small multi-purpose buildings (like small shops with second floor apartments) and small commercial spaces. The Tenderloin has some of those sorts of buildings as well, of course, but it also has a bunch of large historic buildings with single occupancy residences that serve a very poor population and that will be extremely difficult to redevelop. Housing occupied by the very poor faces extreme political barriers to change and no developer wants to face the publicity backlash involved in displacing the poor. Historic buildings cannot be razed by developers and are expensive to renovate both because of historic building protection laws and because they are often outdated and no longer conform to various building codes. The result is that developers are not going to take on such projects for a long, long time. There's sort of a Catch-22 here because it's not worth it for housing developers to invest in the Tenderloin until the neighborhood can attract higher-income buyers, but the neighborhood will remain largely as it is if there aren't major changes to the available housing and resident population.

There have been changes in the area, but I think mostly around the borders, especially in the mid-market area. This area faces fewer problems than the very core of the Tenderloin and I'm optimistic that in 10 years there will be significant changes on Market St. There is a push to bring artists into the area around the theaters to create a sort of artists community and there's been some success already, with new small galleries and studios cropping up. Interesting topic for sure.

apollo2015

Bronze

Post by apollo2015 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:53 pm

aekea wrote: There have been changes in the area, but I think mostly around the borders, especially in the mid-market area. This area faces fewer problems than the very core of the Tenderloin and I'm optimistic that in 10 years there will be significant changes on Market St. There is a push to bring artists into the area around the theaters to create a sort of artists community and there's been some success already, with new small galleries and studios cropping up. Interesting topic for sure.
God bless artists, the ground troops of gentrification. Here are some links to various art happenings that have begun to occur in the area.

http://www.gaffta.org/ - Cool sounding art hub.

--LinkRemoved-- - The "Luggage" Store sounds like a cool venue.

http://thebolditalic.com/blog_posts/170 ... micro-hood - Sixth and Market!

http://www.thebolditalic.com/elia/stories/993-ever-gold - Another fun looking place.

http://www.thelowerpolkartwalk.com/ - a bit north of Hastings, but it looks like the Pacific Heights/Nob Hill people are expanding south.

http://sfartscommission.org/artery/ - I loved some of the art installations that were a part of this.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/2 ... 11167.html - A fixed up Strand theatre is coming.

Permanent fixes to the area will have to deal with the 5th-7th streets stretch of Market. News that the City Place development has fallen through is quite disappointing. http://www.beyondchron.org/news/index.php?itemid=9959 - The City really needs to sharply raise the tax rates on vacant units to prevent their owners from deliberately keeping them vacant for so long.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:38 pm

a comment in regards to the TL.

the neighborhood is rapidly changing for the better. 10 years from now, it will be a very different place. anyone who has known the area for more than a few years can verify this. in a certain sense, it is already in the midst of the same process that the mission, soma, hayes valley, lower haight, mid-divis and mid-polk areas went through over the last 10 to 15 years. it is a late bloomer due to complexities of the problems it faces, however, for better or worse, it is only a matter of time before the pace of change hits a critical mass and really starts to accelerate.

in the past few years, the mid-market area and the TL have been on the top of the list as targets of city hall led revitalization. if anyone would have told me that there would be french bistro on 6th and market 5 years ago, i would have told them they were crazy. behold, it has happened. as the twitters of the world and other forward thinking companies continue to push into the centrally located and relatively cheap urban space, the neighborhood should change. although this means gentrification and all of its (negative) consequences for the neighborhood´s long-time residents, it also means a far safer and more appealing TL to the average student.

yes, this is a long term process and probably won´t do much for you in your next 3 years. however, down the road hastings and its reputation will greatly benefit from this shift as it will be able to attract a larger applicant pool and provide a higher quality of life for its students.

anyone else agree?
the best thing that can happen for the immediate neighborhood around Hastings is the completion of the federal building's renovation (the one across the tower). A bunch of federal workers + more security would do a lot to push the seedy elements a few blocks away. I believe it is set to finish in 2013/14
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

melissaraffalow

New

Post by melissaraffalow » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:16 pm

Anyone know if there is an admitted students / attending students Facebook group? If not, we should make one! I'd love to get to know my future classmates / find a roommate!

aliceydu

Bronze

Post by aliceydu » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:51 pm

melissaraffalow wrote:Anyone know if there is an admitted students / attending students Facebook group? If not, we should make one! I'd love to get to know my future classmates / find a roommate!
I found the one for Davis, but I don't think Hastings has one. Let's make one? Haha.

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:56 pm

aliceydu wrote:
melissaraffalow wrote:Anyone know if there is an admitted students / attending students Facebook group? If not, we should make one! I'd love to get to know my future classmates / find a roommate!
I found the one for Davis, but I don't think Hastings has one. Let's make one? Haha.
What's the Davis one?

aliceydu

Bronze

Post by aliceydu » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:59 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:
aliceydu wrote:
What's the Davis one?
Davis 2015: http://www.facebook.com/groups/206775789429601/

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

skitlets

Bronze

Post by skitlets » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:49 pm

I'll be at the ASW on March 31st. Can't make it to Friday but hoping to see some people there on Saturday.

ttnguyen

New

Post by ttnguyen » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:31 am

Is anyone going to the reception in Irving this Weds at Haynes & Boone? If so...what are you wearing? Haha.

aliceydu

Bronze

Post by aliceydu » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:35 am

ttnguyen wrote:Is anyone going to the reception in Irving this Weds at Haynes & Boone? If so...what are you wearing? Haha.
HAHAHA, I think I might go to the San Diego reception on Tuesday... and I have the EXACT same question! It's at a firm, and I have no idea what to wear (or what to expect). Someone help?

calawdude

New

Post by calawdude » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:36 pm

To play it safe, I'm gonna wearing a suit. It can't hurt--I hope! Hahaha.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”