Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
onedavetoomany

Bronze

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Post by onedavetoomany » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:17 pm

I read somewhere that they give up to $15k need based grants and $11k merit based grants. I'll look for the link after work and post it in the thread.

onedavetoomany

Bronze

Post by onedavetoomany » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:34 pm

Dean Canada wrote:Well, my pitch is pretty simple. For most students, the sticker price can be misleading. Like private schools, public schools like UC Hastings effectively discounts the cost of attending law school for many students, so rarely will students pay the full $47,000, which is what we list for out-of-state attendees this the upcoming year. Last year, for example, about 75% of our students received an institutional grant, which averaged $11,000 per student. In addition, over 20% of our students received scholarships that went as high as $15,000 per year. So I always tell students do not be deterred by the sticker price. If you feel that, aside from the cost of attendance, Hastings meets your criteria in terms of what you’re looking for in a law school, then you should go ahead and apply. You will not know your financial commitment until after you are admitted, when you receive a package from our financial aid office. We also offer a generous loan forgiveness program, Public Interest Career Assistance Program (PICAP), for those who choose to use their skills and talents to support the common good. You should keep this in mind too when you’re considering costs.
Here is the link: http://www.admissionsdean.com/researchi ... reg-canada

happycat

New

Post by happycat » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:55 am

Can anyone please kindly tell me why i haven't heard anything from them? My file was completed 12/04.
Is my file lost somewhere in the corner?

odetojefferson

New

Post by odetojefferson » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:54 am

happycat wrote:Can anyone please kindly tell me why i haven't heard anything from them? My file was completed 12/04.
Is my file lost somewhere in the corner?
They only started admitting people a few weeks ago. I'm sure many more decisions have to be made still!

odetojefferson

New

Post by odetojefferson » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:58 am

onedavetoomany wrote:
Dean Canada wrote:Well, my pitch is pretty simple. For most students, the sticker price can be misleading. Like private schools, public schools like UC Hastings effectively discounts the cost of attending law school for many students, so rarely will students pay the full $47,000, which is what we list for out-of-state attendees this the upcoming year. Last year, for example, about 75% of our students received an institutional grant, which averaged $11,000 per student. In addition, over 20% of our students received scholarships that went as high as $15,000 per year. So I always tell students do not be deterred by the sticker price. If you feel that, aside from the cost of attendance, Hastings meets your criteria in terms of what you’re looking for in a law school, then you should go ahead and apply. You will not know your financial commitment until after you are admitted, when you receive a package from our financial aid office. We also offer a generous loan forgiveness program, Public Interest Career Assistance Program (PICAP), for those who choose to use their skills and talents to support the common good. You should keep this in mind too when you’re considering costs.
Here is the link: http://www.admissionsdean.com/researchi ... reg-canada
onedavetoomany wrote:I read somewhere that they give up to $15k need based grants and $11k merit based grants. I'll look for the link after work and post it in the thread.
So grants may be higher, but an average of 11k. 20% of people getting scholarships is brutally low, though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

happycat

New

Post by happycat » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:49 pm

Thank you!

ttnguyen

New

Post by ttnguyen » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:07 pm

FYI Regarding aid/supplement form/etc:

I submitted my supplement form via e-mail to the generic financial aid e-mail. I send it on the 19th, and called to follow up today. They confirmed they have received it.

I then asked about the timeline of getting my award letter. I was told this--"we will probably not download FAFSA data until MARCH. We taking into consideration your merit factors, FAFSA and supplement form (assuming you submit one) and send out a single award letter."

So apparently, this is going to take forever. It's a bit ridiculous. How are we supposed to make comparisons and/or use such packages to leverage more aid when some other schools have seat deposits due in April.

I'm probably being overly anxious, but i just want to know where I am going and how much money I can get already.

kolokena

New

Post by kolokena » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:22 pm

Got my award email yesterday, $15K renewable each year but it says you have to show continued need. Not sure what that entails (i.e. only myself or parents assets included). The email said that this is the largest award they give (aside from Veteran benefits)--which seems a little lackluster b/c even with (estimated) need based grants it doesn't cover the full COA. The email also estimated that need based grants would range from $7.5 to 11.5K this year and would be sent out after other forms are received. Already filed the FAFSA and I faxed the Hastings supplement today.

surfSD

New

Post by surfSD » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:30 pm

How long after receiving the acceptance letter did everyone get their admit packet? Been over a week now here, wondering if I should email them.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Beachbum89

Bronze

Post by Beachbum89 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:48 pm

surfSD wrote:How long after receiving the acceptance letter did everyone get their admit packet? Been over a week now here, wondering if I should email them.
I think it was at least a week for me, maybe a little longer and I live in LA.

onedavetoomany

Bronze

Post by onedavetoomany » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:22 am

Anyone else planning to visit the campus soon?

Beachbum89

Bronze

Post by Beachbum89 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:53 am

onedavetoomany wrote:Anyone else planning to visit the campus soon?
I am!

Saturday is my busiest work day so unfortunately I can't attend most schools ASW's. Instead my dad and I are gonna fly up to the Bay Area next month and were gonna spend a day or two checking out Hastings and San Francisco and then we're gonna drive to Davis and spend some time checking out their law school as well. Not sure what else I'll l do at each school other than taking a tour, sitting in on a class, and checking out the surrounding area as well as looking at housing a bit in the event I choose either school.

aarias11

New

Post by aarias11 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:03 pm

I got 11k merit aid and can get need based after fafsa

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Beachbum89

Bronze

Post by Beachbum89 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:29 pm

aarias11 wrote:I got 11k merit aid and can get need based after fafsa
How are they notifying everyone of merit aid offers?

onefatbovine

New

Post by onefatbovine » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:08 pm

Beachbum89 wrote:
surfSD wrote:How long after receiving the acceptance letter did everyone get their admit packet? Been over a week now here, wondering if I should email them.
I think it was at least a week for me, maybe a little longer and I live in LA.
I live 2 blocks away from Hastings and I got my packet about a week and a half after I got the first acceptance letter.

apollo2015

Bronze

Post by apollo2015 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:50 pm

I was accepted as part of the EDs in December by e-mail/phone. Got the packet about a month later. In my case they sent the acceptance letter in the packet as opposed to separately.

USMCMatt

Bronze

Post by USMCMatt » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:56 am

Campus? LOL...more like a couple buildings in the Tenderloin. Don't go to Hastings 'cause of the "campus." You have to want the education. The Tenderloin (for those not familiar with SF) is pretty ghetto. I think Hastings has done an admirable job of trying to clean up the area, but they still have a walk-out security service, if that's any indication. Just sayin'...not trying to be discouraging.

San Francisco as a whole is a kick-ass city though....AMAZING food, good wine, etc.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

skitlets

Bronze

Post by skitlets » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:05 am

I asked about Hastings' scholarships at one of the law fairs and mentioned a reputation of being a little stingy. The representative definitely understood where that reputation comes from.

I'm hoping for just 10-15k / year

aarias11

New

Post by aarias11 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:56 pm

Beachbum89 wrote:
I haz email from hastings notify me

aarias11

New

Post by aarias11 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:57 pm

USMCMatt wrote:
Campus? LOL...more like a couple buildings in the Tenderloin. Don't go to Hastings 'cause of the "campus." You have to want the education. The Tenderloin (for those not familiar with SF) is pretty ghetto. I think Hastings has done an admirable job of trying to clean up the area, but they still have a walk-out security service, if that's any indication. Just sayin'...not trying to be discouraging.

San Francisco as a whole is a kick-ass city though....AMAZING food, good wine, etc.
Nothing tender about the tenderloin

moneybagsphd

Silver

Post by moneybagsphd » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:35 pm

Beachbum89 wrote:
I love SF, but I won't even consider Hastings without a full-ride at this point... So far nothing. Why even accept me?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

apollo2015

Bronze

Post by apollo2015 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:45 pm

I don't think Hastings is in the business of doing full rides, bro.

umstah

New

Post by umstah » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:08 pm

edited
Last edited by umstah on Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PizzaShrapnel

Bronze

Post by PizzaShrapnel » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:19 pm

umstah wrote:To everyone on waitlist, I thought I'd share my application story: I'm currently a 1L at Hastings - I applied I think right before the deadline last year, with a 2.95sh gpa / 165. With my numbers along with when I applied I thought my chances were pretty slim, buuut lo and behold, in May I got an email asking if I was still interested, and then was accepted via phone call in earl-mid July. So don't give up hope! You never know.

Also, to people worrying about a correlation between college performance and law school, as someone who did pretty bad in college I can say I think it's overrated. I did well last semester, and never felt inferior to my classmates.

Hope it helps!
This gives me hope haha seeing that we almost have identical numbers.

LockBox

Bronze

Post by LockBox » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:01 pm

umstah wrote:To everyone on waitlist, I thought I'd share my application story: I'm currently a 1L at Hastings - I applied I think right before the deadline last year, with a 2.95sh gpa / 165. With my numbers along with when I applied I thought my chances were pretty slim, buuut lo and behold, in May I got an email asking if I was still interested, and then was accepted via phone call in earl-mid July. So don't give up hope! You never know.

Also, to people worrying about a correlation between college performance and law school, as someone who did pretty bad in college I can say I think it's overrated. I did well last semester, and never felt inferior to my classmates.

Hope it helps!
Appreciate the sentiment. Hope for a similar result from the Waitlist

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”