Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
odetojefferson

New

Re: Hastings 2011-2012 Cycle

Post by odetojefferson » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:01 am

What is the expected assistance part of the financial aid award?

skitlets

Bronze

Post by skitlets » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:22 pm

I was not impressed with today's Admit Day...

coldpixies

New

Post by coldpixies » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:37 pm

Just withdrew! Hopefully one of you guys take my seat. Although I really wanted to be in the bay area for 3 years, I can't justify paying sticker + COL when USC is on the table as well. Good luck everyone!

Skitlets, just curious, what didn't you like about Hastings' ASW? I was thinking of going but didn't want to drop money on a plane ticket + hotel when I was pretty sure I wasn't going to attend there this fall.

justathought21

New

Post by justathought21 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:08 am

skitlets wrote:I was not impressed with today's Admit Day...
I have not been impressed by the unceasing emails from their offices. They do A LOT of marketing, but I think they would be better served putting that money towards scholarship funding! During my contact with Hastings, they seem to think that 25K is "AMAZING"! Dont they realize they are in the 40's with regards to rank, going downhill every year, and that their total cost is around $70K!!!! And....AND....they have like aa 30% employment rate at graduation! Come ON Hastings.....you can do better.

skitlets

Bronze

Post by skitlets » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:11 am

coldpixies wrote:Just withdrew! Hopefully one of you guys take my seat. Although I really wanted to be in the bay area for 3 years, I can't justify paying sticker + COL when USC is on the table as well. Good luck everyone!

Skitlets, just curious, what didn't you like about Hastings' ASW? I was thinking of going but didn't want to drop money on a plane ticket + hotel when I was pretty sure I wasn't going to attend there this fall.
Nobody was willing to give straight answers. Somebody asked about Hastings' portability to LA. I don't remember the exact wording from one of the 3Ls on the student panel but it was way over the top. The legal market is tough-- I didn't hear any decent answers on how the school is willing to address that. Of course, imho.

I'd love to stay in SF for school but Hastings is a tough sell over UCI. Maybe someone here can offer some insight.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:25 am

skitlets wrote:
coldpixies wrote:Just withdrew! Hopefully one of you guys take my seat. Although I really wanted to be in the bay area for 3 years, I can't justify paying sticker + COL when USC is on the table as well. Good luck everyone!

Nobody was willing to give straight answers. Somebody asked about Hastings' portability to LA. I don't remember the exact wording from one of the 3Ls on the student panel but it was way over the top. The legal market is tough-- I didn't hear any decent answers on how the school is willing to address that. Of course, imho.

I'd love to stay in SF for school but Hastings is a tough sell over UCI. Maybe someone here can offer some insight.
I'm just a 1L so I don't have good answers to these questions. We're just students though, so it isn't like we all have exact employment facts, etc. If someone wants to work in LA and they get into UCLA/USC, they should probably go to one of those schools. I know a bunch of 1Ls going to LA for the summer, but that is just 1L summer and doesn't mean that much. I don't really know how the school is supposed to address how tough the legal market is because the school can't do anything to change the legal market. I've been really happy with career services though, I find them to be pretty helpful. There are tons of events on campus about different areas of the law, lots of opportunities to meet mentors, and I've met with several alumni to try to network. They provide a lot of opportunities, imo, to network and make connections. Individual students have to have the drive though to make it happen. The school can only do so much and can't force any students to attend any of these functions.

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:48 am

skitlets wrote:

if you have usc on the table and you want LA that is an easy choice. however, hastings over uci, easily, imo. talked to recruiting manager for a v100 big law firm; GPA cutoff for callback at hastings was top20%; "top 2%" at uci. this sentiment is not all that rare among the top firms, either. i guess if you don't want big law (well at least the small chance that hastings provides, that is), i can see how uci would have appeal, though.

lawgeekgrl

Bronze

Post by lawgeekgrl » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:12 am

Deleted.
Last edited by lawgeekgrl on Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chen8406

New

Post by chen8406 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:41 am

Lasers wrote: if you have usc on the table and you want LA that is an easy choice. however, hastings over uci, easily, imo. talked to recruiting manager for a v100 big law firm; GPA cutoff for callback at hastings was top20%; "top 2%" at uci. this sentiment is not all that rare among the top firms, either. i guess if you don't want big law (well at least the small chance that hastings provides, that is), i can see how uci would have appeal, though.
If I'm not mistaken, top 2% at UCI is the top 1-2 students. Sounds funny to me. The inaugural class at UCI has much better stats than same year's class at Hastings, and had at least similar, if not higher, quality of education (faculty scholarly impact and student:faculty ratio). Obviously, some concerns about UCI being a new school and all are justified, but that much of a difference?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

skitlets

Bronze

Post by skitlets » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:22 pm

For clarification, I am from the Bay Area and aim to practice here. I think conventional advice would be to go to Hastings.

That said, I'd rather have employment anywhere than be in San Francisco and be unemployed..

surfSD

New

Post by surfSD » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:32 pm

apollo2015 wrote:Are we not able to start the Grad PLUS loan application process until May 1st? That's what I'm being told by the Studentloans.gov page, so I want to make sure that I'm applying for it via the right link there.
Just tried to do Grad PLUS as well, guess it opens May 1st. The sub/unsub loan application went through though.

As for the talk about Hastings employment statistics: I'm not sure how much weight you should place on that comparatively. Hastings is known for being a more transparent reporter of statistics, meaning other schools that you are comparing may have somewhat inflated numbers. I agree that the number they report is low, however I believe many schools hover around that number without reporting it.

tropicanax

New

Post by tropicanax » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:20 am

surfSD wrote:
apollo2015 wrote:Are we not able to start the Grad PLUS loan application process until May 1st? That's what I'm being told by the Studentloans.gov page, so I want to make sure that I'm applying for it via the right link there.
Just tried to do Grad PLUS as well, guess it opens May 1st. The sub/unsub loan application went through though.

As for the talk about Hastings employment statistics: I'm not sure how much weight you should place on that comparatively. Hastings is known for being a more transparent reporter of statistics, meaning other schools that you are comparing may have somewhat inflated numbers. I agree that the number they report is low, however I believe many schools hover around that number without reporting it.

At ASD during the career services session, someone asked the question of what percentage of students are employed at graduation, she said they take stats at different times, but AT graduation it was about 30%, another 30% got jobs before Bar results came out, and the rest are employed by 9 months ( not sure what the exact % is). but she also made the point that many smaller firms/other places simply don't hire before people pass the bar and it's mainly big firms that have jobs waiting for some students after graduation etc.

petite chouette

New

Post by petite chouette » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:46 pm

Hey, I am wondering when you accepted people have to send in deposits? I'm hoping that they'll start doing waitlist calls after whatever that day is so just curious about your timeline.

I assume that since they said in the WL email that they officially start doing it in May that the deadline for first deposit is April 30 but just thought I would check. Thank you to everyone who has withdrawn and opened up spots for those of us in WL purgatory!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

surfSD

New

Post by surfSD » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:22 pm

petite chouette wrote:Hey, I am wondering when you accepted people have to send in deposits? I'm hoping that they'll start doing waitlist calls after whatever that day is so just curious about your timeline.

I assume that since they said in the WL email that they officially start doing it in May that the deadline for first deposit is April 30 but just thought I would check. Thank you to everyone who has withdrawn and opened up spots for those of us in WL purgatory!
No later than May 1st

LockBox

Bronze

Post by LockBox » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:34 pm

petite chouette wrote:Hey, I am wondering when you accepted people have to send in deposits? I'm hoping that they'll start doing waitlist calls after whatever that day is so just curious about your timeline.

+1

onedavetoomany

Bronze

Post by onedavetoomany » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:31 pm

LockBox wrote:

+1
I think the deposit deadline is May 1st.

apollo2015

Bronze

Post by apollo2015 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:58 pm

surfSD wrote:
Thanks! I was worried about that. I guess they didn't expect us to be filling it out so early.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:27 pm

Hold out hope on the waitlist :)

I know a lot of people who were accepted off the waitlist all the way until August. I was taken off the waitlist in the middle of May.

Good Luck!

gogogadgetlaw

New

Post by gogogadgetlaw » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:55 pm

I recently got an email that the deposit deadline was April 6th.

lrslayer

Silver

Post by lrslayer » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:03 pm

withdrew. gl to you all.

aekea

Bronze

Post by aekea » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:11 am

lrslayer wrote:withdrew. gl to you all.
+1

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

odetojefferson

New

Post by odetojefferson » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:57 am

aekea wrote:
+1
+2. Hope you waitlisters get some love soon.

LockBox

Bronze

Post by LockBox » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:02 pm

odetojefferson wrote:
aekea wrote:
+1
+2. Hope you waitlisters get some love soon.
Thank you!! Hopefully we will in about a month :)

steepair

New

Post by steepair » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:21 pm

gogogadgetlaw wrote:I recently got an email that the deposit deadline was April 6th.
i got the same e-mail yesterday, too! i freaked out cos i thought the deposit wasn't due until may 1st. when i got home, i checked all my admissions info and, sure enough, everything said "may 1st". i emailed dean canada to ask for some clarification. if they did move it up to april 6th that kind of screws me over cos i won't have a chance to go to davis' ASD.

chochotrain

New

Post by chochotrain » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:13 pm

steepair wrote:
gogogadgetlaw wrote:I recently got an email that the deposit deadline was April 6th.
i got the same e-mail yesterday, too! i freaked out cos i thought the deposit wasn't due until may 1st. when i got home, i checked all my admissions info and, sure enough, everything said "may 1st". i emailed dean canada to ask for some clarification. if they did move it up to april 6th that kind of screws me over cos i won't have a chance to go to davis' ASD.
I didn't get the email with the April 6 deadline, but the website says: "Enrollment Deposit for Fall 2012 - In order to reserve a seat in the entering class, you are required to submit a non-refundable enrollment deposit by the deadline indicated on the your lettter of acceptance. (Please pay careful attention to this deadline; if your response is not received by the due date, you may lose your place in the class.)"

Hopefully the email is a mistake...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”