Penn State c/o 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
nodice410

New

Re: Penn State c/o 2015

Post by nodice410 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:26 pm

not that i'll have too much time left on my hands from what I hear, but how is the bar scene in Carlisle? Harrisburg?

89vision

Bronze

Post by 89vision » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:10 pm

nodice410 wrote:not that i'll have too much time left on my hands from what I hear, but how is the bar scene in Carlisle? Harrisburg?
Same question, but for both campuses. I visited State College, and the PSU workers version of "downtown" is far from my conception. I went to school in the middle of a city, and State College is the polar opposite of my undergrad campus. What is there to do? It reminds me of a larger version of Slippery Rock or Edinoro.

Lady Finch

New

Post by Lady Finch » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:33 pm

89vision wrote:
nodice410 wrote:not that i'll have too much time left on my hands from what I hear, but how is the bar scene in Carlisle? Harrisburg?
Same question, but for both campuses. I visited State College, and the PSU workers version of "downtown" is far from my conception. I went to school in the middle of a city, and State College is the polar opposite of my undergrad campus. What is there to do? It reminds me of a larger version of Slippery Rock or Edinoro.
Can't speak to Carlisle, but there are a fair amount of bars in downtown SC. It is obviously not a big city, but there are a few options and it will probably be a lot less expensive than you are used to. There are a fair number of restaurants as well, with a variety of different ethnic varieties (though some may not be as authentic as some people would like). There is not a ton of shopping, but there is a small mall and several boutiques downtown. It is really a college town. If you are interested in outdoor activities there are some lakes around, really nice hiking and some rock climbing places as well. Carlisle will put you closer to Harrisburg and give you more access to a city, but State College will give you a true college town experience, so it depends on what you want. Let me know if you have any specific questions and also check out the question/answer thread that's out there.

givemea170

Bronze

Post by givemea170 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:41 pm

Still in shock that I was rejected from here. LOL.

Accepted to Virginia and declined from Penn State... that's some funny shit. :lol:

gewbert

New

Post by gewbert » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:43 am

In Carlisle, there are 2 main bars and a "dive bar" (aka they're operating under a provisional license and will likely lose it). People generally have fairly strong preferences for one bar over another, but law students can be found in both bars. I haven't been to Harrisburg for the bars, but people generally like them, but don't go that often.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zuckaz48

New

Post by zuckaz48 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:08 pm

gewbert wrote:
In Carlisle, there are 2 main bars and a "dive bar" (aka they're operating under a provisional license and will likely lose it). People generally have fairly strong preferences for one bar over another, but law students can be found in both bars. I haven't been to Harrisburg for the bars, but people generally like them, but don't go that often.
yea, i know there will not be much free time, but im interested in what bars there are for raging

JD Janitor

Bronze

Post by JD Janitor » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:55 pm

I was offered 15k spread out over 3 years with a 3.0 stip. Anyone have any suggestions on when/how to negotiate this up? So far I've been accepted to a few schools ranked higer but do not yet know if I will have scholarship offers from those schools. Is it possible to simply ask for more while explaining that more will make Penn State a more feesible and attractive option?

Lady Finch

New

Post by Lady Finch » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:50 pm

zuckaz48 wrote:
gewbert wrote:
yea, i know there will not be much free time, but im interested in what bars there are for raging
I know a lot of people who went out at least once, if not twice a week and still had plenty of time to study. I went out at least once almost every weekend and hung out with people and took nights off during the week and I did great. If you manage your time well there will be enough time to have fun and still to well in school.

zuckaz48

New

Post by zuckaz48 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:53 pm

Lady Finch wrote:
zuckaz48 wrote:
gewbert wrote:
I know a lot of people who went out at least once, if not twice a week and still had plenty of time to study. I went out at least once almost every weekend and hung out with people and took nights off during the week and I did great. If you manage your time well there will be enough time to have fun and still to well in school.
thats what im talkin about

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

grovevilleroad

New

Post by grovevilleroad » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:08 pm

JD Janitor wrote:I was offered 15k spread out over 3 years with a 3.0 stip. Anyone have any suggestions on when/how to negotiate this up? So far I've been accepted to a few schools ranked higer but do not yet know if I will have scholarship offers from those schools. Is it possible to simply ask for more while explaining that more will make Penn State a more feesible and attractive option?
I have already sent an e-mail and got my scholarship increased (the increased amount is NOT on my LSN page). I had higher offers at peer schools and they beat one. I also mentioned my admission to a superior school as well. Do it sooner then later as you never know when they will run out of money.

89vision

Bronze

Post by 89vision » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:14 pm

I was offered 15k/yr with a 3.0. Sorry if this was already answered, but what percentage of students have a GPA higher than 3.0? Is it 75% like at some other schools? Thanks.

JD Janitor

Bronze

Post by JD Janitor » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:47 pm

grovevilleroad wrote:
JD Janitor wrote:I was offered 15k spread out over 3 years with a 3.0 stip. Anyone have any suggestions on when/how to negotiate this up? So far I've been accepted to a few schools ranked higer but do not yet know if I will have scholarship offers from those schools. Is it possible to simply ask for more while explaining that more will make Penn State a more feesible and attractive option?
I have already sent an e-mail and got my scholarship increased (the increased amount is NOT on my LSN page). I had higher offers at peer schools and they beat one. I also mentioned my admission to a superior school as well. Do it sooner then later as you never know when they will run out of money.
I just requested an increase in my scholarship. I did not specify how much I was looking for but hopefully they will simply provide the maximum possible. I am hoping I can bring the 35k/yr down to 15k/year. That would make it infinitely more difficult to turn down. I also mentioned that I would appreciate a relaxation in the 3.0 stip. Were you able to negotiate that at all?

Lady Finch

New

Post by Lady Finch » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:06 pm

89vision wrote:I was offered 15k/yr with a 3.0. Sorry if this was already answered, but what percentage of students have a GPA higher than 3.0? Is it 75% like at some other schools? Thanks.
Penn State operates on a B curve for all first year classes - so I think that means that 3.0 would be the 50% mark

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

el William

New

Post by el William » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:33 pm

RunninRoo wrote:Just got the email this morning, Congrats! It mentioned that since they don't do scholarship info via email it comes in the mail.. How long has it been taking everyone to get this? Penn State wasn't "high" on my list, but with the right about of $$ it'll be worth looking into more
How long was your app UR?

Mine went under review pretty quickly after I applied and I wonder if that means a decision will come quickly as well.

grovevilleroad

New

Post by grovevilleroad » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:04 am

JD Janitor wrote:
grovevilleroad wrote:
I just requested an increase in my scholarship. I did not specify how much I was looking for but hopefully they will simply provide the maximum possible. I am hoping I can bring the 35k/yr down to 15k/year. That would make it infinitely more difficult to turn down. I also mentioned that I would appreciate a relaxation in the 3.0 stip. Were you able to negotiate that at all?
I left the 3.0 stip out of the email but she did mention it in the return e-mail that she could not move the 3.0 stip. She wrote back to me in the same day with the new offer, so it should be a quick turnaround.

JD Janitor

Bronze

Post by JD Janitor » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:54 am

grovevilleroad wrote:
JD Janitor wrote:
grovevilleroad wrote:
I left the 3.0 stip out of the email but she did mention it in the return e-mail that she could not move the 3.0 stip. She wrote back to me in the same day with the new offer, so it should be a quick turnaround.
I wrote my email somewhat later in the day so hopefully I will hear something today. If you dont mind me asking, what were your numbers? If mine were similar I suppose I should expect a similar result.

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:36 am

Who are you guys sending the request to? I got $0, it's worth one last shot before I have to withdraw.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JD Janitor

Bronze

Post by JD Janitor » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:48 am

neeko wrote:Who are you guys sending the request to? I got $0, it's worth one last shot before I have to withdraw.
I have had several conversations with a specific individual on the admissions staff (rather not release names) but I would imagine that if you have not had specific conversations with anyone inparticular that you should email the individual in charge of financial aid.

jayman6

Bronze

Post by jayman6 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:23 pm

givemea170 wrote:Still in shock that I was rejected from here. LOL.

Accepted to Virginia and declined from Penn State... that's some funny shit. :lol:
Judging by this comment, I'd say Penn State made the right decision.

jayman6

Bronze

Post by jayman6 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:24 pm

neeko wrote:Who are you guys sending the request to? I got $0, it's worth one last shot before I have to withdraw.
I would suggest emailing the Assistant Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid. You can find contact information here: --LinkRemoved--

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:29 pm

Withdrew today, hopefully my scholly money can go to someone else. Good luck all!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JG7773

Bronze

Post by JG7773 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:05 pm

In via email today.

Complete around 1/23. UR 2/1 and then decision today.

159/3.32

Frm312

New

Post by Frm312 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:39 pm

Got my scholarship package in the mail, $15,000/year. They'll probably have to do a little better than that

rudygayandchardonnay

New

Post by rudygayandchardonnay » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:39 pm

Complete 1/25, also in via email this afternoon.
Online status checker hasn't updated though. Still says UR.
OOS, so fingers crossed for scholarship $$$...

RunninRoo

New

Post by RunninRoo » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:52 am

In via email last week, scholarship packet in the mail yesterday.. 10K a year.. What a joke; got double that from 2 schools that are better.. withdrawing, hope someone else who could use it gets the $$

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”