Penn State c/o 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
HellOnHeels

Silver

Penn State c/o 2015

Post by HellOnHeels » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:55 pm

Anyone else applying? Which campus did you choose? Are you worried about how the school will do in the rankings based on recent events?

allmodcons

New

Re: Penn State c/o 2015

Post by allmodcons » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:42 pm

Last edited by allmodcons on Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:48 pm

Applied last month and under review.

jbarl1

Silver

Post by jbarl1 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:32 pm

Current 2L if anyone has any questions. There are also threads from past years where students have answered questions.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 4&t=130990

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:07 pm

stephinmd wrote:Anyone else applying? Which campus did you choose? Are you worried about how the school will do in the rankings based on recent events?
I'm applying to Carlisle. Not too worried about recent events affecting ranking, since the actions of their football staff should have little to do with the quality of education

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

89vision

Bronze

Post by 89vision » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:13 pm

jbarl1 wrote:Current 2L if anyone has any questions. There are also threads from past years where students have answered questions.

How is the placement in Pittsburgh? I received a fee waiver and am going to apply once I get paid on the 31st.

Which campus would you recommend?

I hear PSU is really trying to build up the law school. Is that true?

I don't know anything about the school, so any insight on your experiences would be welcomed.

My adviser told me not to apply amid the scandal, but I'm from PA and am applying to the Pitt, PSU, and Temple.

jbarl1

Silver

Post by jbarl1 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:17 pm

89vision wrote:
jbarl1 wrote:Current 2L if anyone has any questions. There are also threads from past years where students have answered questions.

How is the placement in Pittsburgh? I received a fee waiver and am going to apply once I get paid on the 31st.

Which campus would you recommend?

I hear PSU is really trying to build up the law school. Is that true?

I don't know anything about the school, so any insight on your experiences would be welcomed.

My adviser told me not to apply amid the scandal, but I'm from PA and am applying to the Pitt, PSU, and Temple.
Placement in Pittsburgh is very good. If you are interested in staying in PA then Penn State is definitely a great option. Many of the job opportunities that the school posts are in the Pittsburgh area, so I think you would be pleased with the options.

The campus you choose is hard to advise on. I am at UP and would not want to be in Carlisle, but I know that the students in Carlisle most likely wouldn't want to switch either. If you want to live in a true college town, then UP is for you. If you aren't interested in football or the other aspects that the main campus has to offer, then Carlisle is a better option. Both campuses have a really great new building. If you think you might want to work in Harrisburg over the summer or during the school year then Carlisle is much closer and would afford you the opportunity to stay in your apartment. If you have some specific questions about campuses or want me to go more into depth, please PM me or post again here.

I have had a great experience so far. Most of the professors are really phenomenal and there is a lot of support from the administrative offices. I think the class sizes are reasonable and I have been pleased with the course offerings so far. Let me know what else you're interested in knowing about!

And as far as the scandal, it has nothing to do with the law school or even 99% of Penn State in general. I am confident that it won't impact the law school as much as everyone is making it out to, if at all.

89vision

Bronze

Post by 89vision » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:08 pm

Thanks. I sent in my application today. I don't think the scandal will impact the law school. I hear PSU is trying to build up its law school. How rowdy is state college? A bunch of classmates from high school are going/went there, and they seem to take a lot of pride in it's party school ranking. Is there more to do at state college than Carlisle? I thought carlisle is a small town (obviously so is state college). Also, how is the public interest program? Anything you find particularly strong about PSU? How easy is it to keep scholarships?

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:12 pm

89vision wrote:Is there more to do at state college than Carlisle? I thought carlisle is a small town (obviously so is state college)
State college is where the party's at (undergrads, football, fun to be had).

This is why I'm applying to Carlisle :P Too tempting

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jbarl1

Silver

Post by jbarl1 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:06 pm

89vision wrote:Thanks. I sent in my application today. I don't think the scandal will impact the law school. I hear PSU is trying to build up its law school. How rowdy is state college? A bunch of classmates from high school are going/went there, and they seem to take a lot of pride in it's party school ranking. Is there more to do at state college than Carlisle? I thought carlisle is a small town (obviously so is state college). Also, how is the public interest program? Anything you find particularly strong about PSU? How easy is it to keep scholarships?
There will be options for social gatherings very regularly at the UP campus. There are bars downtown and there are a lot of law school social events too. Many law students go out at least one night a week in UP. I can't speak for how active the night life is in Carlisle, but I imagine they have their fun as well. The law school is not in the middle of the undergrad campus, so we have some separation from them. But you won't be able to completely avoid the undergrad lifestyle at UP, it is very much a part of the town.

The public interest program is very strong at PSU. There are various options for summer fellowships and weekly updates about public interest opportunities. I know a lot of people who are very involved in the public interest law club at Dickinson and they are very active at the school.

I think that PSU offers a lot of great joint degree opportunities, particularly because of our position at such a large research university. If you are interested in a particular type of law I would be happy to tell you what I know about what is offered at PSU in that area.

Scholarships are usually held to a top 1/3 or top 1/2 of the class stipulation (from what I know about mine and what I have heard from others). I don't know anyone who lost their scholarship, but I assume some people did. I really don't have anything else that I can contribute in that area.

jbarl1

Silver

Post by jbarl1 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:10 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
89vision wrote:Is there more to do at state college than Carlisle? I thought carlisle is a small town (obviously so is state college)
State college is where the party's at (undergrads, football, fun to be had).

This is why I'm applying to Carlisle :P Too tempting
Come to UP for a football game at least once!

HellOnHeels

Silver

Post by HellOnHeels » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:04 pm

under review... :shock:

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:15 pm

jbarl1 wrote:Come to UP for a football game at least once!
Oh this will definitely happen if I end up at Penn State. Probably more than it should!
stephinmd wrote:under review... :shock:
Same here! Good luck

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:25 pm

They are so behind compared to last year. In review since 11/7

HellOnHeels

Silver

Post by HellOnHeels » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:20 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
stephinmd wrote:under review... :shock:
Same here! Good luck
Good luck to you too! I'm going to be checking the status tracker like crazy now...

AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:31 pm

stephinmd wrote:Anyone else applying? Which campus did you choose? Are you worried about how the school will do in the rankings based on recent events?
I'm not applying to Penn State, but my wife went to State College for UG and has been following the scandal and reaction closely.

My theory is that this will actually help you guys. I'm betting admissions will be noticeably affected this year, as people with no ties to central and western PA will choose peer schools instead of Penn State. So Penn State will have to lower its admissions standards slightly.

Those of you who would have got in anyway will be more likely to get scholarship money, and will also rank better than you otherwise would have against your classmates - perhaps top 20% when you otherwise would have been top 25%, for example.

But in two or three years, when you guys are looking for jobs, everyone will have forgotten about the scandal - the press have already moved on to Syracuse. So, demand for Penn State graduates will be the same, and you will look better vis-a-vis your classmates.

CaptAdams

Bronze

Post by CaptAdams » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:30 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:
My theory is that this will actually help you guys. I'm betting admissions will be noticeably affected this year, as people with no ties to central and western PA will choose peer schools instead of Penn State. So Penn State will have to lower its admissions standards slightly.
I totally agree with you. I do not have a great LSAT score (but an excellent GPA), so I was surprised to get an email from them, specifically mentioning my GPA and LSAT and offering me a fee waiver. So of course, I applied.

And I'm under review today.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:22 pm

Anyone hear anything? Someone is in on LSN.

HellOnHeels

Silver

Post by HellOnHeels » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:28 pm

neeko wrote:Anyone hear anything? Someone is in on LSN.
nothing here yet :?

cmd72215

New

Post by cmd72215 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:33 pm

In through email this afternoon, status checker still says under review

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:36 pm

cmd72215 wrote:In through email this afternoon, status checker still says under review
When did you get the email? I hope they are sending more out. Also, what are your numbers if you don't mind sharing?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

HellOnHeels

Silver

Post by HellOnHeels » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:37 pm

cmd72215 wrote:In through email this afternoon, status checker still says under review
Congrats!

CaptAdams

Bronze

Post by CaptAdams » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:49 pm

neeko wrote:
When did you get the email? I hope they are sending more out. Also, what are your numbers if you don't mind sharing?
Any idea when you went in review?

cmd72215

New

Post by cmd72215 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:52 pm

CaptAdams wrote:
neeko wrote:
Any idea when you went in review?
I got the email at 2:30 and went under review 11/7.

89vision

Bronze

Post by 89vision » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:04 pm

neeko wrote:
Agreed. Congrats.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”