Penn State c/o 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
HellOnHeels

Silver

Re: Penn State c/o 2015

Post by HellOnHeels » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:37 pm

if any current students at penn state (or anyone else that might have info) commute to the school, how well does that work out for you? what town are you in? i need to find a place somewhere in the middle between carlisle and baltimore...

z0rk

Bronze

Post by z0rk » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:06 pm

stephinmd wrote:if any current students at penn state (or anyone else that might have info) commute to the school, how well does that work out for you? what town are you in? i need to find a place somewhere in the middle between carlisle and baltimore...
I live in Baltimore, and I'd say your best bet for a commute is somewhere in MD between cockeysville and parkton (cockeysville being the preferred area to live). I know a lot of people who commute from York to Baltimore and for them its a real hassle. I'd say you will be reverse commuting out of the state. You may wish to check and see if there are tolls if you stay instate.

soitgoes9

Bronze

Post by soitgoes9 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:22 pm

z0rk wrote:
stephinmd wrote:if any current students at penn state (or anyone else that might have info) commute to the school, how well does that work out for you? what town are you in? i need to find a place somewhere in the middle between carlisle and baltimore...
I live in Baltimore, and I'd say your best bet for a commute is somewhere in MD between cockeysville and parkton (cockeysville being the preferred area to live). I know a lot of people who commute from York to Baltimore and for them its a real hassle. I'd say you will be reverse commuting out of the state. You may wish to check and see if there are tolls if you stay instate.
True you wont hit much traffic going north form cockeysville, however that is a long trip. You partner (im assuming) will still have the bad part of the trip on I83 if they are going to downtown Baltimore, although they will have less total drive time. If they work in Hunt Valley or Towson then I would live in York and split the total drive time.

BTWalk

New

Post by BTWalk » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:39 pm

wvuchip wrote:
stephinmd wrote:I got my acceptance letter in the mail today. Scholarship info included in the letter. Accepted 12/19.

*franticly goes to check mail*

I'm hoping mine is in the mail by the end of the week.

HellOnHeels

Silver

Post by HellOnHeels » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:48 pm

soitgoes9 wrote:
z0rk wrote:
True you wont hit much traffic going north form cockeysville, however that is a long trip. You partner (im assuming) will still have the bad part of the trip on I83 if they are going to downtown Baltimore, although they will have less total drive time. If they work in Hunt Valley or Towson then I would live in York and split the total drive time.
Husband works in downtown Baltimore. Looking at the map, somewhere outside of York is about halfway. But when you add in traffic, good grief :? One of his bosses commutes from just south of York, so it's probably just a matter of adjusting times aka leave at 7 instead of 730am. But how is the commute around Harrisburg from York over to Carlisle?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

soitgoes9

Bronze

Post by soitgoes9 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:10 pm

It kind of stinks unless you take the turnpike which you have to pay for. If you dont you hit the traffic going into harrisburg, although compared to many places its not that bad. Hunt Valley will give you husband less time in the car but then you would have long commute. York especially south end of town is probably the most equal option staying close to I83 will help both of you.

z0rk

Bronze

Post by z0rk » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:17 pm

soitgoes9 wrote:It kind of stinks unless you take the turnpike which you have to pay for. If you dont you hit the traffic going into harrisburg, although compared to many places its not that bad. Hunt Valley will give you husband less time in the car but then you would have long commute. York especially south end of town is probably the most equal option staying close to I83 will help both of you.
You also have to ask yourself do you want to be near a city? Cockeysville and Hunt Valley are about as far north of Baltimore you can go while still having a city conveniently nearby.

Question: Did you apply to UMD Law? Or UB?

HellOnHeels

Silver

Post by HellOnHeels » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:19 pm

z0rk wrote:
soitgoes9 wrote:It kind of stinks unless you take the turnpike which you have to pay for. If you dont you hit the traffic going into harrisburg, although compared to many places its not that bad. Hunt Valley will give you husband less time in the car but then you would have long commute. York especially south end of town is probably the most equal option staying close to I83 will help both of you.
You also have to ask yourself do you want to be near a city? Cockeysville and Hunt Valley are about as far north of Baltimore you can go while still having a city conveniently nearby.

Both. In at UB, in review at UMD.

z0rk

Bronze

Post by z0rk » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:29 pm

stephinmd wrote:
z0rk wrote:

Both. In at UB, in review at UMD.
Good luck! and congratulations on the acceptance at Penn State.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

zuckaz48

New

Post by zuckaz48 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:36 am

finally got my package with scholarship offer

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:44 pm

zuckaz48 wrote:finally got my package with scholarship offer
+1, yesterday

caller10

New

Post by caller10 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:01 pm

+1

Anybody planning on going to either of the admitted students day in March?

wvu

Gold

Post by wvu » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:38 pm

Just checked my mail, got the package with scholarship offer.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BTWalk

New

Post by BTWalk » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:51 am

Received the application package today; scholarship info.

zuckaz48

New

Post by zuckaz48 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:42 am

caller10 wrote:
+1

Anybody planning on going to either of the admitted students day in March?
i'll most likely attend

z0rk

Bronze

Post by z0rk » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:43 pm

Just got an e-mail saying "Application Received", directing me to check my status via the status checker. It was kind of strange. I received this same email way back in December when I first submitted my application. This second transmittal included the Username they assigned to me and the password I subsequently created.

I have been under review since mid december, with an updated date on 12/22. Anyone else experience this?

genius5432

New

Post by genius5432 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:47 pm

z0rk wrote:Just got an e-mail saying "Application Received", directing me to check my status via the status checker. It was kind of strange. I received this same email way back in December when I first submitted my application. This second transmittal included the Username they assigned to me and the password I subsequently created.

I have been under review since mid december, with an updated date on 12/22. Anyone else experience this?
I got the same exact thing. And there weren't any changes to the status - Under Review since 11/30.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

blakke01

New

Post by blakke01 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:48 pm

z0rk wrote:Just got an e-mail saying "Application Received", directing me to check my status via the status checker. It was kind of strange. I received this same email way back in December when I first submitted my application. This second transmittal included the Username they assigned to me and the password I subsequently created.

No worries. I just recieved the same email and was slightly confused as well. My guess is they are just sending a friendly reminder.

Or... they are trying to give us prospectives a heart attack by sending us an email with the the first words being "Thank you for your application..." - instead of - "Congratulations" in the first line.

Bmarce

Bronze

Post by Bmarce » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:50 pm

genius5432 wrote:

I got the same exact thing. And there weren't any changes to the status - Under Review since 11/30.
+1

LawperaMan

Bronze

Post by LawperaMan » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:33 pm

I was accepted a few days ago, and got the same "Application Received" e-mail from them today. Guessing it was just a computer glitch, since the e-mail seems to imply that this is the first year they are doing e-notifications...

BTWalk

New

Post by BTWalk » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:35 pm

I was accepted 12/9 via email...got the same email 12/19. I just think its what they do. Received scholly info yesterday. So no worries about two emails.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lindsey4468

New

Post by Lindsey4468 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:04 pm

Acceptance packet came in the mail today. 30K Dean's Scholarship!

zx92027xz

New

Post by zx92027xz » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:13 am

snail mail acceptance today with $18k/yr renewable with 3.0 stip. 160/3.88/military

Bmarce

Bronze

Post by Bmarce » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:49 am

Lindsey4468 wrote:Acceptance packet came in the mail today. 30K Dean's Scholarship!
Congrats

davwrite

New

Post by davwrite » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:15 pm

Applied Jan. 8, went UR today, >75% LSAT <25% GPA.... I don't think posting this is going to soothe the anxiety as much as I expect

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”