Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
vpintz

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby vpintz » Wed May 09, 2012 9:34 pm

llachans wrote:
Opie wrote:Orientation schedule just came out for summer con law. I'm mad jealous of you vpintz, et al.

Slightly related, but I really can't wait to find out our schedule assignments for first semester. It'll make all of this law school stuff feel so much more real than it already does.

thiiiis. also, be jelly. be tso jelly.

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu May 10, 2012 6:57 am

llachans wrote:
Opie wrote:Orientation schedule just came out for summer con law. I'm mad jealous of you vpintz, et al.

Slightly related, but I really can't wait to find out our schedule assignments for first semester. It'll make all of this law school stuff feel so much more real than it already does.

True. I doubt we'll see those until August though. :(

llachans

Postby llachans » Sat May 12, 2012 11:48 pm

Hey guys!

Have any good recommendations for a cheap hotel near downtown Des Moines? My gf and I are looking at Village Inn (around $56 a night). Are there any better deals or is that a pretty sound decision? We're both tight on money for the time being, and our top criteria are proximity to downtown, safety, and cleanliness. Thanks in advance!!!

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Sun May 13, 2012 9:58 am

llachans wrote:Hey guys!

Have any good recommendations for a cheap hotel near downtown Des Moines? My gf and I are looking at Village Inn (around $56 a night). Are there any better deals or is that a pretty sound decision? We're both tight on money for the time being, and our top criteria are proximity to downtown, safety, and cleanliness. Thanks in advance!!!

Don't have any knowledge here, but I recommend Priceline. I love that. I have gotten $300/night+ hotels for under $60 in other cities. I've never used it for DM, but it's worth checking out.

llachans

Postby llachans » Sun May 13, 2012 1:00 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
Don't have any knowledge here, but I recommend Priceline. I love that. I have gotten $300/night+ hotels for under $60 in other cities. I've never used it for DM, but it's worth checking out.

I'll check it out!

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Sun May 13, 2012 4:20 pm

llachans wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:

I'll check it out!

I got a pretty good deal on the Rennaisance Hotel Downtown via pricelive when I visited for ASW last spring. Not quite as good as $60, but under $100, I think.

Opie

Postby Opie » Sun May 13, 2012 5:34 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:
llachans wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:

I'll check it out!

I got a pretty good deal on the Rennaisance Hotel Downtown via pricelive when I visited for ASW last spring. Not quite as good as $60, but under $100, I think.

That's my favorite hotel downtown!

Opie

Postby Opie » Mon May 21, 2012 9:41 pm

Hey, did anyone see these? http://www.law.drake.edu/admissions/?pa ... ymentStats

Not too bad!

Our long-term employment** was 12th out of 196 schools nationally, the 94th percentile and 19% above the national average. Drake was 2nd out of 24 schools in the region and 16% above the regional average.

That region includes Chicago, Northwestern, UIUC, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and 17 other schools.

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Mon May 21, 2012 9:49 pm

Sooooo I'll be tromping on over to DSM this thursday. Arriving Thursday evening, moving/putting furniture together on Friday, then my dad (who is driving me out to DSM) is flying back to Pitt on Sunday. So if anyone has been craving a hangout with vpintz, your time for that will be this weekend/next week :3

Related rant: UGH I HATE PACKING. HATE.

Opie

Postby Opie » Tue May 22, 2012 7:08 am

vpintz wrote:Sooooo I'll be tromping on over to DSM this thursday. Arriving Thursday evening, moving/putting furniture together on Friday, then my dad (who is driving me out to DSM) is flying back to Pitt on Sunday. So if anyone has been craving a hangout with vpintz, your time for that will be this weekend/next week :3

I'm pretty sure that I Have the kids this weekend, or I would. If you have a way to get to Ames, there's a charity event put on by the Suicide Girls to help a women's shelter.

Opie

Postby Opie » Tue May 22, 2012 5:35 pm

vpintz wrote:Sooooo I'll be tromping on over to DSM this thursday. Arriving Thursday evening, moving/putting furniture together on Friday, then my dad (who is driving me out to DSM) is flying back to Pitt on Sunday. So if anyone has been craving a hangout with vpintz, your time for that will be this weekend/next week :3

Also, if you need help moving, I'm free at 3:30 or so. I will lug crap for you.

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Tue May 22, 2012 5:36 pm

Opie wrote:

Thursday or Friday? I (most likely) will not be signing my lease/actually moving until Friday, but if you're still available, that would be awesome!

Opie

Postby Opie » Tue May 22, 2012 6:03 pm

vpintz wrote:
Opie wrote:

Thursday or Friday? I (most likely) will not be signing my lease/actually moving until Friday, but if you're still available, that would be awesome!

I'm free both afternoon/evenings. I get off work at 3:30, but it's way out West and takes a little bit to get where you'll be. I'm happy to help though!

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Tue May 22, 2012 6:18 pm

Opie wrote:
vpintz wrote:
Opie wrote:

I'm free both afternoon/evenings. I get off work at 3:30, but it's way out West and takes a little bit to get where you'll be. I'm happy to help though!

That would be excellent! Text me when you're done with work on Friday?

Opie

Postby Opie » Tue May 22, 2012 6:42 pm

vpintz wrote:That would be excellent! Text me when you're done with work on Friday?

Sure thing!

Opie

Postby Opie » Wed May 23, 2012 6:51 am

Anybody know how much first semester books run? I know they say books are about $1500 a year, but I'm not sure how much of that is needed prior to classes.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Wed May 23, 2012 7:35 am

Opie wrote:Anybody know how much first semester books run? I know they say books are about $1500 a year, but I'm not sure how much of that is needed prior to classes.

I'm interested in this as well.

I'd help you out as well vpintz, but I'm still in France.

llachans

Postby llachans » Wed May 23, 2012 12:21 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
Opie wrote:Anybody know how much first semester books run? I know they say books are about $1500 a year, but I'm not sure how much of that is needed prior to classes.

I'm also curious.

Also: My girlfriend hated Des Moines so much that she broke up with me. Let's get this law school thing started!!!!

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Wed May 23, 2012 12:36 pm

llachans wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:

I'm also curious.

Also: My girlfriend hated Des Moines so much that she broke up with me. Let's get this law school thing started!!!!

Man, I'm sorry to hear that! That really sucks. Did she just not want to move there? Where do you guys live now? I can't imagine anyone hating Des Moines that much if you're from the Midwest. Anyways, I feel for ya. She'll be missing out when we're all having a great time in DM!

llachans

Postby llachans » Wed May 23, 2012 12:53 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
Man, I'm sorry to hear that! That really sucks. Did she just not want to move there? Where do you guys live now? I can't imagine anyone hating Des Moines that much if you're from the Midwest. Anyways, I feel for ya. She'll be missing out when we're all having a great time in DM!

I'm honestly not really sure. When we visited and looked at apartments on Friday, she was really excited and wouldn't shut up about how she loved every place. She said it wasn't city enough for her, but I actually really liked Des Moines way more than Chicago. It had the good parts of Chicago without the really bad neighborhoods.

And I'm getting really excited for August. Two more months!!!

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Wed May 23, 2012 1:23 pm

llachans wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:

I'm honestly not really sure. When we visited and looked at apartments on Friday, she was really excited and wouldn't shut up about how she loved every place. She said it wasn't city enough for her, but I actually really liked Des Moines way more than Chicago. It had the good parts of Chicago without the really bad neighborhoods.

While I admire your enthusiasm for law school, I give it until the second week of September. :D

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Wed May 23, 2012 1:29 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:
llachans wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:

While I admire your enthusiasm for law school, I give it until the second week of September. :D

Lol am I the only one here not excited to start LS? I am excited to meet everyone and be in DM, but I'm in no rush for mountains of work.

llachans

Postby llachans » Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:

Lol am I the only one here not excited to start LS? I am excited to meet everyone and be in DM, but I'm in no rush for mountains of work.[/quote]

haha. i'm excited to move, decorate my apartment, meet people, etc. i am not at all excited for the school aspect.

Opie

Postby Opie » Wed May 23, 2012 6:48 pm

I'm excited for actual law school. I'm not moving or anything though. Right now I spend all day looking at the same 20 or so documents and checking them for inconsistency and inaccuracy. My brain needs stimulation. I already listen to NPR AND read Twitter all day at work, but it's not enough for me.

I'm really sorry about your girlfriend llachans. :( Obviously I don't know anything about the relationship, but maybe it will be for the better? Des Moines is not Chicago, but as you said, that can be a good thing too. Des Moines in general and Drake in particular seem to me to have a good GBLT scene. I'll take you to the GBLT hangouts if you like that sort of thing. I enjoy the Blazing Saddle sometimes even thought I'm straight. Also, if you're into religion, I go to a church with a lesbian minister. There might be some singles there, though I really don't know. We're the opposite of judgy if anyone wants that sort of experience.

I heard from a friend that went to Drake Law that we can expect $800-1000 up front for books if we buy all new books. For those that don't know it, you won't get any student aid until well after you will need the books, so you'll need either savings or credit to get your books.

And Shredderrrrr, I hate you. Leave Europe at once! :mrgreen:

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Wed May 23, 2012 9:19 pm

Opie wrote:I'm excited for actual law school. I'm not moving or anything though. Right now I spend all day looking at the same 20 or so documents and checking them for inconsistency and inaccuracy. My brain needs stimulation. I already listen to NPR AND read Twitter all day at work, but it's not enough for me.

I'm really sorry about your girlfriend llachans. :( Obviously I don't know anything about the relationship, but maybe it will be for the better? Des Moines is not Chicago, but as you said, that can be a good thing too. Des Moines in general and Drake in particular seem to me to have a good GBLT scene. I'll take you to the GBLT hangouts if you like that sort of thing. I enjoy the Blazing Saddle sometimes even thought I'm straight. Also, if you're into religion, I go to a church with a lesbian minister. There might be some singles there, though I really don't know. We're the opposite of judgy if anyone wants that sort of experience.

I heard from a friend that went to Drake Law that we can expect $800-1000 up front for books if we buy all new books. For those that don't know it, you won't get any student aid until well after you will need the books, so you'll need either savings or credit to get your books.

And Shredderrrrr, I hate you. Leave Europe at once! :mrgreen:

All of this. Sorry to hear that, llachans. :[ wrt books, this is most excellent.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”