Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
llachans

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby llachans » Wed May 02, 2012 3:26 pm

Thanks guys!! I'm glad to hear that ISU has a solid bio reputation.

Shrederrr - That's funny you say that because I was actually looking at Ankeny! It was the closest thing I saw on the map. I'll have to look into it more, because before today, I've never heard of it :lol:

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu May 03, 2012 2:06 pm

llachans wrote:Thanks guys!! I'm glad to hear that ISU has a solid bio reputation.

Shrederrr - That's funny you say that because I was actually looking at Ankeny! It was the closest thing I saw on the map. I'll have to look into it more, because before today, I've never heard of it :lol:

I'm not sure if Ankeny woul suit you. I recommend visiting before signing up. It's a nice town, but it's a new money suburb full of evangelicals and rednecks. Just an FYI.

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu May 03, 2012 2:09 pm

Also, if any of you are going to be in Des Moines by July 4, get your 80/35 tickets NOW! prices go up on the 15th and you want to go to there.

llachans

Postby llachans » Thu May 03, 2012 3:55 pm

Opie wrote:
I'm not sure if Ankeny woul suit you. I recommend visiting before signing up. It's a nice town, but it's a new money suburb full of evangelicals and rednecks. Just an FYI.

Are you saying I wouldn't embrace EVANGELICALS AND REDNECKS?!?!

I don't think I even want to visit...

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Thu May 03, 2012 9:03 pm

Evangelicals and rednecks? FUCK THAT NOISE. Would not want. /PA problems.

Also. I would totally be in for that, but I'm actually flying back to PA for the Roger Waters: The Wall Live concert the day before, and flying back to Iowa that day. <3

Opie

Postby Opie » Fri May 04, 2012 7:03 am

Thought it might not be your bag. ;)

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Fri May 04, 2012 4:31 pm

Opie wrote:Also, if any of you are going to be in Des Moines by July 4, get your 80/35 tickets NOW! prices go up on the 15th and you want to go to there.

Already got mine! (my sister got them for me cheap through their work....score!)

Opie

Postby Opie » Fri May 04, 2012 4:42 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
Opie wrote:Also, if any of you are going to be in Des Moines by July 4, get your 80/35 tickets NOW! prices go up on the 15th and you want to go to there.

Already got mine! (my sister got them for me cheap through their work....score!)

Nice! I haven't got mine yet, but will soon.

evilxs

Postby evilxs » Fri May 04, 2012 5:35 pm

Opie wrote: I have this dream of an informal study group where we just get together and debate the topics of classes like once a week or so. Who's in?

We already do this, but we call it bar review and the whole debate part gets muddled in there somewhere :lol:

I'll have to look out for the 1L TLS clique next year :mrgreen:

evilxs

Postby evilxs » Fri May 04, 2012 5:38 pm

Opie wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:
Opie wrote:GVU is a nice school with a decent reputation, but it's a small liberal arts college. I wouldn't recommend it for hard science.

My recommendation is ISU. It's really only about a 40 minute drive, and they have one of the best set-ups for what she wants to do including: the USDA National Animal Disease Lab, the National Soil Tilth Lab, internship opportunities with ag companies like Pioneer and Monsanto, and extension offices in every county where conservation and agronomy work is done.

I don't know much in these regards, but I second the motion for ISU. You could then get an apartment in Ankeny and split the distance. Barring traffic, I'd assume it's 20 minutes each way.

It's more like 10 to Drake and 30 to ISU from Ankeny, but yes, good call.

More like 20 to Drake and 30 to ISU. I lived almost in Ankeney (on the Des Moines side) 1L year after moving from further out.

evilxs

Postby evilxs » Fri May 04, 2012 5:58 pm

Opie wrote:From what I've heard from local lawyers, about the top 30% of Drake students are really on the ball and the rest are morons.

Damn I am reading through these 28 pages and just wow. Not gonna bother quoting and replying to it all.

Stop for a minute and think about a few things.

1. Drake is very well regarded in Des Moines. Most lawyers and judges, and Iowa Supreme Court justices graduated from Drake.

2. Des Moines is a very small city. Everybody knows everyone. If you want to work here the impression you make will be known throughout town before you can blink. Be careful how you present yourself.

3. Realize that the internet is public domain. Some of the things posted in this thread reflects very poorly on the poster. I'll be sure not to mention to my classmates that word is 70% of us are "morons". My reading comprehension I assure you is functioning quite well. You are simply repeating gossip. That is the kind of thing that when you hear it from a lawyer you take it in but you don't go around spreading crap like that. Pretty low class of the lawyer to make that assumption and then verbalize it. Every single student and class is different. It would be impossible to make the blanket statement that 70% are morons with any accuracy.

4. Us morons will be your best friends. We have the outlines, exam information, professor recommendations, free study aids for people we like, and yeah advice about how to succeed while here at Drake.

5. We also have the inside line to all the best paying and non paying jobs and internships in Des Moines. You see, our bosses loved us and ask us if we know any 1Ls who could take our spots for the next term.

6. I understand it can seem cool to be uber-gunners, but remember to not be a soul-less piece of shit. The most successful students here are well liked and thus reaped the benefits of outlines and exam tips. You can be the smartest person in the room and not do as well as someone who knew what to be prepared for.

I'm procrastinating, better get back on studying for the last final I have to do this term.

evilxs

Postby evilxs » Fri May 04, 2012 10:09 pm

I sure didn't mean to kill this thread. I hope I'll meet you soon, and good luck.

If you have any questions about what it is really like at Drake Law, I am always willing to answer. The Law School is nothing like the undergrad; probably because most of us are not from Iowa.

llachans

Postby llachans » Sat May 05, 2012 12:48 am

evilxs wrote:

If you have any questions about what it is really like at Drake Law, I am always willing to answer. The Law School is nothing like the undergrad; probably because most of us are not from Iowa.

I have a few questions, and wish I would've found you on here earlier!

What do you wish you would've known about Drake before starting 1L that you know now?
What kind of law are you aiming to go into (I might have more specific questions depending on your answer).

Thanks!

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Sat May 05, 2012 1:01 am

evilxs wrote:
Opie wrote:From what I've heard from local lawyers, about the top 30% of Drake students are really on the ball and the rest are morons.

Damn I am reading through these 28 pages and just wow. Not gonna bother quoting and replying to it all.

Stop for a minute and think about a few things.

1. Drake is very well regarded in Des Moines. Most lawyers and judges, and Iowa Supreme Court justices graduated from Drake.

2. Des Moines is a very small city. Everybody knows everyone. If you want to work here the impression you make will be known throughout town before you can blink. Be careful how you present yourself.

3. Realize that the internet is public domain. Some of the things posted in this thread reflects very poorly on the poster. I'll be sure not to mention to my classmates that word is 70% of us are "morons". My reading comprehension I assure you is functioning quite well. You are simply repeating gossip. That is the kind of thing that when you hear it from a lawyer you take it in but you don't go around spreading crap like that. Pretty low class of the lawyer to make that assumption and then verbalize it. Every single student and class is different. It would be impossible to make the blanket statement that 70% are morons with any accuracy.

4. Us morons will be your best friends. We have the outlines, exam information, professor recommendations, free study aids for people we like, and yeah advice about how to succeed while here at Drake.

5. We also have the inside line to all the best paying and non paying jobs and internships in Des Moines. You see, our bosses loved us and ask us if we know any 1Ls who could take our spots for the next term.

6. I understand it can seem cool to be uber-gunners, but remember to not be a soul-less piece of shit. The most successful students here are well liked and thus reaped the benefits of outlines and exam tips. You can be the smartest person in the room and not do as well as someone who knew what to be prepared for.

I'm procrastinating, better get back on studying for the last final I have to do this term.

Hope I didn't say anything that is seen as offensive! I think we'll all admit in this thread that we're clueless 0Ls just trying to figure it out. I don't think Opie (or any of us for that matter) meant any disrespect to Drake.

Good luck on your finals and I hope to meet you next semester!

evilxs

Postby evilxs » Sat May 05, 2012 10:11 am

llachans wrote:I have a few questions, and wish I would've found you on here earlier!

What do you wish you would've known about Drake before starting 1L that you know now?
What kind of law are you aiming to go into (I might have more specific questions depending on your answer).

Thanks!

1. I wish I would have better understood how law school is different from every other kind of degree I have received before. The method of studying, the exams, and well everything have a learning curve. Something easily tackled when you understand what they want.
2. I wish I would have reached out more to upperclassmen earlier; they really have so much time saving stuff it is unreal.
3. The first two are applicable to any lawschool. Specific to Drake: I wish I had known about the free movies in the underclassmen library sooner. Holy crap we got our own free blockbuster type place on campus with all of the latest movies. It is important to have downtime in all of the lawschool chaos. I didn't have time for some of the networking stuff first semester 1L. How stupid was I? This is a very small city. Go to the networking events: all of them. Schoomze and get your face/name out there. I am now recognized instantly face and name by a ton of really prominent lawyers and judges in Des Moines. I have had a paying job every semester and summer doing good legal work, not crap work. Hell I didn't even have to pop out a resume or transcript for any of those jobs: one of them was with a lawyer considered the best in town at what he does. I wish I had taken legal writing more seriously. Yeah I got an A like everyone else blah blah, but shit I didnt realize that when it came time to submit writing samples I would have to use what we did in that class because there is no time to do something better with how the timing occurs to do the first round of legal interviews. I spent a hectic 48 hour marathon of editing and rewriting the crap out of that assignment lmao Do it well the first time, better than needed for your grade because it will be sliding across the desk of lawyers and judges sooner than you realize. I wish I had known Drake teaches ALWD citation method. It is my single largest criticism of Drake. What a joke, most lawyers and firms who hire you will expect you to cite in bluebook. My bosses have required it of me. Learning two citation systems honestly sucks. There aren't tons and tons of differences, but there are enough to make it frustrating and a waste of time when you don't have tons of free time to begin with. I wish I had realized that some of the classes could easily be knocked out of the way before 1st semester even starts ;)

I will be a tax litigator. That single answer outs me to all of my peers, but I have no need to hide behind my username. It is a very specialized field and very few pursue it.

evilxs

Postby evilxs » Sat May 05, 2012 10:21 am

shredderrrrrr wrote:Hope I didn't say anything that is seen as offensive! I think we'll all admit in this thread that we're clueless 0Ls just trying to figure it out. I don't think Opie (or any of us for that matter) meant any disrespect to Drake.

Good luck on your finals and I hope to meet you next semester!

Hey no worries to you or Opie, I'm not keeping tabs. I just wanted to put a lid on all of the negative stuff before someone really gets outed in a bad way. It is easy to forget that the internet is not as anonymous as we all would like. Right now is the time to embrace the professionalism expected out of you now and into the future. Most of us wiped out our facebook pages and cleaned up our online presence. Being a lawyer is moving on to the next step in your lives.

I will be very candid with any questions you may have. I have no self interest in promoting Drake, but I do not regret my decision to go here. I had choices, including better "ranked" ones. Your law school is a very important decision. You may never have the opportunity to change your mind.

evilxs

Postby evilxs » Sat May 05, 2012 10:24 am

...and if anyone wants to erase anything negative they think they may not want memorialized in a thread, I would happily erase anything I have quoted.

My first professional courtesy extended to the next class of lawyers.

llachans

Postby llachans » Sat May 05, 2012 10:40 am

evilxs wrote:
1. I wish I would have better understood how law school is different from every other kind of degree I have received before. The method of studying, the exams, and well everything have a learning curve. Something easily tackled when you understand what they want.
2. I wish I would have reached out more to upperclassmen earlier; they really have so much time saving stuff it is unreal.
3. The first two are applicable to any lawschool. Specific to Drake: I wish I had known about the free movies in the underclassmen library sooner. Holy crap we got our own free blockbuster type place on campus with all of the latest movies. It is important to have downtime in all of the lawschool chaos. I didn't have time for some of the networking stuff first semester 1L. How stupid was I? This is a very small city. Go to the networking events: all of them. Schoomze and get your face/name out there. I am now recognized instantly face and name by a ton of really prominent lawyers and judges in Des Moines. I have had a paying job every semester and summer doing good legal work, not crap work. Hell I didn't even have to pop out a resume or transcript for any of those jobs: one of them was with a lawyer considered the best in town at what he does. I wish I had taken legal writing more seriously. Yeah I got an A like everyone else blah blah, but shit I didnt realize that when it came time to submit writing samples I would have to use what we did in that class because there is no time to do something better with how the timing occurs to do the first round of legal interviews. I spent a hectic 48 hour marathon of editing and rewriting the crap out of that assignment lmao Do it well the first time, better than needed for your grade because it will be sliding across the desk of lawyers and judges sooner than you realize. I wish I had known Drake teaches ALWD citation method. It is my single largest criticism of Drake. What a joke, most lawyers and firms who hire you will expect you to cite in bluebook. My bosses have required it of me. Learning two citation systems honestly sucks. There aren't tons and tons of differences, but there are enough to make it frustrating and a waste of time when you don't have tons of free time to begin with. I wish I had realized that some of the classes could easily be knocked out of the way before 1st semester even starts ;)

I will be a tax litigator. That single answer outs me to all of my peers, but I have no need to hide behind my username. It is a very specialized field and very few pursue it.

Thanks for the detailed response! I have a few more questions but I think I will PM you instead if you don't mind.

Opie

Postby Opie » Sat May 05, 2012 11:31 am

Sorry to come off negative and probably a little pompous. You're right, it is just gossip. The only reason I shared it here is that I though it might lessen some of the worries of my friends here. Please don't view it as my endorsement of that statement.

I plan to wipe my entire TLS account sometime in the near future, and might recommend that to everyone.

For those that don't know it, Des Moines definitely is a small town. I know probably half a dozen lawyers here on a personal basis, and each new one I meet knows at least half of them.

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Sun May 06, 2012 9:26 pm

Opie wrote:I plan to wipe my entire TLS account sometime in the near future, and might recommend that to everyone.

ngl, I might abandon this account and start a new one with a new username (Opie/others itt know that my current username is an actual nickname/close to my real name, so)

evilxs

Postby evilxs » Sun May 06, 2012 11:54 pm

I meet the first one of you in two weeks!

Excited :mrgreen:

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Mon May 07, 2012 1:26 am

I'll go through and clean up anything that looks bad, but I've always tried to talk on here without anonymity (never really have hid my identity). If anyone has anything in mind that I said that is bad/offensive looking, let me know.

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Mon May 07, 2012 1:30 am

shredderrrrrr wrote:I'll go through and clean up anything that looks bad, but I've always tried to talk on here without anonymity (never really have hid my identity). If anyone has anything in mind that I said that is bad/offensive looking, let me know.

+1

Opie

Postby Opie » Wed May 09, 2012 6:25 pm

Orientation schedule just came out for summer con law. I'm mad jealous of you vpintz, et al.

llachans

Postby llachans » Wed May 09, 2012 9:33 pm

Opie wrote:Orientation schedule just came out for summer con law. I'm mad jealous of you vpintz, et al.

Slightly related, but I really can't wait to find out our schedule assignments for first semester. It'll make all of this law school stuff feel so much more real than it already does.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”