Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
llachans

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby llachans » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:12 pm

Opie wrote:
What's the source on that? Is that the percent the keep them all 3 years, or who keep them after first year?

I've heard other things. FWIW, several people who do not have an interest in me going to Drake (and who have recent JDs) have said it shouldn't be a problem. I think Shredderrr said he saw a more optimistic number from an official source. I could be wrong there though.

It was in an e-mail from Andrew English and the 45% was for students who kept it after their first year. Although if anyone has heard something different, I'd be interested in that as well!

[Edit: PMed with additional info.]

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:36 am

llachans wrote:
Opie wrote:
What's the source on that? Is that the percent the keep them all 3 years, or who keep them after first year?

I've heard other things. FWIW, several people who do not have an interest in me going to Drake (and who have recent JDs) have said it shouldn't be a problem. I think Shredderrr said he saw a more optimistic number from an official source. I could be wrong there though.

It was in an e-mail from Andrew English and the 45% was for students who kept it after their first year. Although if anyone has heard something different, I'd be interested in that as well!

[Edit: PMed with additional info.]

That does seem low. If you heard it straight from the horse's mouth, however, I can't argue it.

When I asked about it, I heard from Andrew that in the last ten years, only one person (of the 50) lost the Opperman scholarship. I know it's not the same, but still interesting.

I heard from Iowa (who has the same top third stipulation) that roughly 75% (I believe...I'm just going off memory) of scholarship recipients keep it each year.

llachans

Postby llachans » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:45 am

shredderrrrrr wrote:
That does seem low. If you heard it straight from the horse's mouth, however, I can't argue it.

When I asked about it, I heard from Andrew that in the last ten years, only one person (of the 50) lost the Opperman scholarship. I know it's not the same, but still interesting.

I heard from Iowa (who has the same top third stipulation) that roughly 75% (I believe...I'm just going off memory) of scholarship recipients keep it each year.

Wow. By putting it into that perspective, that's kind of really scary.... I intend to kick ass, but it would suck to fall at say....top 36%. I suppose it does help that you have two chances - - top 35% for the first semester or top 35% for the first year.

I'm still wondering why so many qualified applicants end up losing their scholarships. If your info on the Opperman scholarship is right, it would lead me to believe that those with a $ scholarship lose it whereas those with $$ or $$$ tend to keep it. Does anyone think it's pushy to have a follow-up e-mail regarding percentages of students that were able to renew a 20k+/year scholarship, or do you think it's unlikely he'll have info that detailed? I'm guessing my performance in LS will mirror those that have similar scholarship offers, unlike those that were offered say 5k/year.

ag6

Postby ag6 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:08 am

Look, you got me to post llachans! I'll even keep it somewhat on the current topic...

Regarding scholarship money, think of it this way; a much higher percentage of matriculating students to Drake are receiving some scholarship money. That means even students with mid/low 150s LSAT scores and average GPAs are offered something.

Contrast the above to the U of I; where only the highest credentials will get you money (because they know that there are hundreds - probably thousands, of students who would go to Iowa if they were accepted, regardless of scholarship money).

That being said, 45% retainage does seem low.

llachans

Postby llachans » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:02 am

ag6 wrote:Look, you got me to post llachans! I'll even keep it somewhat on the current topic...

Regarding scholarship money, think of it this way; a much higher percentage of matriculating students to Drake are receiving some scholarship money. That means even students with mid/low 150s LSAT scores and average GPAs are offered something.

Contrast the above to the U of I; where only the highest credentials will get you money (because they know that there are hundreds - probably thousands, of students who would go to Iowa if they were accepted, regardless of scholarship money).

Look at the Drake thread taking over! 5 TLSers!!! :)

That's some good input and makes me feel a little more comfortable. I just need to accept that at the end of the day, law school is a gamble.

ag6 - Are you any further along in your law school decisions?

ag6

Postby ag6 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:22 am

llachans wrote:
ag6 wrote:Look, you got me to post llachans! I'll even keep it somewhat on the current topic...

Look at the Drake thread taking over! 5 TLSers!!! :)

That's some good input and makes me feel a little more comfortable. I just need to accept that at the end of the day, law school is a gamble.

ag6 - Are you any further along in your law school decisions?

Honestly, no. I like that Drake is in Des Moines. U of I is more recognized nationally. My current job I enjoy quite a bit and make more money and have less stress than the 'average' attorney. The good news is that I don't have a bad option, the bad news is that I don't have a bad option... :|

llachans

Postby llachans » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:30 am

ag6 wrote:
Honestly, no. I like that Drake is in Des Moines. U of I is more recognized nationally. My current job I enjoy quite a bit and make more money and have less stress than the 'average' attorney. The good news is that I don't have a bad option, the bad news is that I don't have a bad option... :|

I get where you're coming from. Most of my law school decision process was waffling between two solid choices. I hope you find something that makes your decision easier!

Opie

Postby Opie » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:21 pm

Weird. My post didn't come through.

Anyway, YAY to you posting! Welcome!

From what I've heard from local lawyers, about the top 30% of Drake students are really on the ball and the rest are morons. I'm not sure how true that is, but my interactions with people seem to suggest truth. I would put all of you guys in the top 30% because you rock. ;)

llachans

Postby llachans » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:24 am

Opie wrote:
From what I've heard from local lawyers, about the top 30% of Drake students are really on the ball and the rest are morons.

I really hope so. That would make my life so much easier :D

As a weird side-note, I did notice at Drake's ASD that the current students I encountered were way more disciplined than other ASDs I went to *cough Michigan State cough*. I'm sure the students at both ASDs were top 20 or so percent, but there was a huge difference between how disciplined they came off.

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:18 pm

llachans wrote:
Opie wrote:
From what I've heard from local lawyers, about the top 30% of Drake students are really on the ball and the rest are morons.

I really hope so. That would make my life so much easier :D

As a weird side-note, I did notice at Drake's ASD that the current students I encountered were way more disciplined than other ASDs I went to *cough Michigan State cough*. I'm sure the students at both ASDs were top 20 or so percent, but there was a huge difference between how disciplined they came off.

It's not so much an ability thing as a culture thing. MSU undergrad is a party school, and some of that rubs off on the law school. Drake is a very wholesome and non-party kind of environment relatively speaking. Much earlier in the thread I likened the people who go to Drake to the "sideliners" third clique that a lot of high schools have. The people who are not the preppy cool kids, but aren't the weirdos, geeks, stoners, or any other counter-culture group.

llachans

Postby llachans » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:46 pm

Opie wrote:It's not so much an ability thing as a culture thing. MSU undergrad is a party school, and some of that rubs off on the law school. Drake is a very wholesome and non-party kind of environment relatively speaking. Much earlier in the thread I likened the people who go to Drake to the "sideliners" third clique that a lot of high schools have. The people who are not the preppy cool kids, but aren't the weirdos, geeks, stoners, or any other counter-culture group.

Yeah, I definitely noticed that in other ways as well. To be honest, I found some of the prospective MSU students to be a bit snobby. I realize that Drake and Iowa will have very different cultures, but I loved my undergrad at Iowa and hope I can at least find a group to watch the weekly football game with! Otherwise my girlfriend will have to fill in as a football buddy, and she really can't stand the game.

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:52 pm

llachans wrote:
Opie wrote:It's not so much an ability thing as a culture thing. MSU undergrad is a party school, and some of that rubs off on the law school. Drake is a very wholesome and non-party kind of environment relatively speaking. Much earlier in the thread I likened the people who go to Drake to the "sideliners" third clique that a lot of high schools have. The people who are not the preppy cool kids, but aren't the weirdos, geeks, stoners, or any other counter-culture group.

Yeah, I definitely noticed that in other ways as well. To be honest, I found some of the prospective MSU students to be a bit snobby. I realize that Drake and Iowa will have very different cultures, but I loved my undergrad at Iowa and hope I can at least find a group to watch the weekly football game with! Otherwise my girlfriend will have to fill in as a football buddy, and she really can't stand the game.

college football buddy? HI PICK ME =D

llachans

Postby llachans » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:07 pm

vpintz wrote:college football buddy? HI PICK ME =D

YES YES YES I AM SO RELIEVED. I mayyyy have already scouted for a good sports bar in order to watch my team (Hawkeyes, obv.). There's a giant Herky statue in front of the bar and I legit squealed.

I'm not the type to squeal.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:15 pm

llachans wrote:

YES YES YES I AM SO RELIEVED. I mayyyy have already scouted for a good sports bar in order to watch my team (Hawkeyes, obv.). There's a giant Herky statue in front of the bar and I legit squealed.

I'd be up for it too! I may not be as big of a football fan as I used to be, but I love my Hawkeyes.

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:18 pm

llachans wrote:

WE GON BE BESS FRANDS. I don't really like sports, but I LOVE me some college football (especially the Hawkeyes), and the Packers and Red Wings. (it should be said that living in Pittsburgh has killed my ability to enjoy watching other teams.)

llachans

Postby llachans » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:22 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
I'd be up for it too! I may not be as big of a football fan as I used to be, but I love my Hawkeyes.

YAY!!!! You can't not love them! There's something about the spirit of the team...it's really unbeatable, even in comparison to the rest of the Big 10. Then again, I'm extremely biased.

vpintz wrote:WE GON BE BESS FRANDS. I don't really like sports, but I LOVE me some college football (especially the Hawkeyes), and the Packers and Red Wings. (it should be said that living in Pittsburgh has killed my ability to enjoy watching other teams.)

Haha. I'll skip on the Packers games (I am from Chicago after all....). I'm not a fan of the NFL in general. There's just something about college ball that gets me excited.

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:24 pm

llachans wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:

YAY!!!! You can't not love them! There's something about the spirit of the team...it's really unbeatable, even in comparison to the rest of the Big 10. Then again, I'm extremely biased.

vpintz wrote:WE GON BE BESS FRANDS. I don't really like sports, but I LOVE me some college football (especially the Hawkeyes), and the Packers and Red Wings. (it should be said that living in Pittsburgh has killed my ability to enjoy watching other teams.)

Haha. I'll skip on the Packers games (I am from Chicago after all....). I'm not a fan of the NFL in general. There's just something about college ball that gets me excited.

I'm okay with that. Just don't tell me you're a Steelers fan, k? Anyway. Yes. Hawkeye games = Drake TLSfest, y/n/m?

llachans

Postby llachans » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:30 pm

vpintz wrote:
I'm okay with that. Just don't tell me you're a Steelers fan, k? Anyway. Yes. Hawkeye games = Drake TLSfest, y/n/m?

I am not! Although I must confess that I did root for them one time after a few too many drinks when I mistook their jerseys for the Hawkeyes. I hope you won't hold it against me.

And a massive yes to a TLS/Hawkeye appreciation meet-up!

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:31 pm

llachans wrote:
vpintz wrote:

I am not! Although I must confess that I did root for them one time after a few too many drinks when I mistook their jerseys for the Hawkeyes. I hope you won't hold it against me.

And a massive yes to a TLS/Hawkeye appreciation meet-up!

Nah, I can see that happening. Hardcore Steelers fans freak me the fuck out. tso crazy. We cool. <3

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:36 pm

Didn't know we had so many sports diehards in here! Who do you guys cheer for in the English Premier League?!!? Lol jk.

I'm all for TLS-gatherings. I'm terrible at breaking out of my shell so I'll need to rely on you guys to make me be social every once in a while lol.

llachans

Postby llachans » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:43 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
I'm all for TLS-gatherings. I'm terrible at breaking out of my shell so I'll need to rely on you guys to make me be social every once in a while lol.

I'd be more than happy to drag you out to social gatherings!

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:49 pm

The wife and I are huge Hawkeye football fans and would live to do this!

There are better places to watch games than the Front Row, btw (that's the place you saw).

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:50 pm

llachans wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:

I'd be more than happy to drag you out to social gatherings!

Haha well it'll likely always be me+1. I'm one of those annoying people that always wants to spend time with their girlfriend. My problem now is that I never go out because I'd rather just hang out at home with her. I figure the most logical solution to this is to keep hanging out with her, but do so in social settings where we can actually meet new people lol.

She has already told me that she'd make us food if I wanted to have all my law schools friends over to study at any time. So if anyone is into that sort of thing, study parties at shredderrrrrr's place!!

llachans

Postby llachans » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:51 pm

Opie wrote:The wife and I are huge Hawkeye football fans and would live to do this!

There are better places to watch games than the Front Row, btw (that's the place you saw).

hahaha. No doubt that there are. It looked pretty confined and out of the way, but the Herky was so adorable!!! I felt like I was in IC all over again!

llachans

Postby llachans » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:53 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
Haha well it'll likely always be me+1. I'm one of those annoying people that always wants to spend time with their girlfriend. My problem now is that I never go out because I'd rather just hang out at home with her. I figure the most logical solution to this is to keep hanging out with her, but do so in social settings where we can actually meet new people lol.

She has already told me that she'd make us food if I wanted to have all my law schools friends over to study at any time. So if anyone is into that sort of thing, study parties at shredderrrrrr's place!!

Haha. You sound a little like my girlfriend. I love hanging out at home, but I'm also pretty sociable and want to go out and do something different every now and then. Half the time I have to convince her to hang out with her own friends. Like, "Please invite some of your friends out with us...you haven't seen them in two months!!!!" I totally understand though. I will frequently be +1 as well.

I vote yes on study parties.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”