Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
shredderrrrrr

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby shredderrrrrr » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:00 pm

vpintz wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:
Opie wrote:Just completed my transit research (http://www.ridedart.com), and it looks like public transit is a bad idea from the Ingersoll area including Gateway Lofts (which isn't exactly Ingersoll). You COULD walk, but you're looking at 30-40 minutes (1.5ish miles each way).

If you really don't want to drive, I would recommend the stuff close to Drake even though the area isn't great. It's really not that bad, and the buildings are pretty secure. Old Main is gated and walled and has security onsite (plus it's a block from campus police).

Another good idea might be to get a duplex in Beaverdale. It's a quiet and quaint neighborhood near Drake with a lot of great housing. Most of it is $900 or less for 2-3 bedrooms, and they tend to have basement storage and garages.

Just go to Gateway, get the same schedule as me, and CARPOOL!

Lol I paid my reservation deposit and have been approved at Gateway. Loft 335 is mine! Just need to sign the lease next time I'm in Des Moines.

Yay, congrats! =D I need to call/harass the people at Old Main to see if they've received my security deposit check yet >.>

Yeah, I was tweaking about that. Lol I sent in a $270 check (2 application fees and the reservation/holding deposit) and was freaking out she didn't get it (I've been raised to worry about that sort of thing). I just kept emailing her and thankfully she let me know the second it got in :lol:

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:01 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:Yeah, I was tweaking about that. Lol I sent in a $270 check (2 application fees and the reservation/holding deposit) and was freaking out she didn't get it (I've been raised to worry about that sort of thing). I just kept emailing her and thankfully she let me know the second it got in :lol:

I'm the same exact way! I'm such a control freak, t's crossed and i's dotted type person. It's actually annoying sometimes >.>

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:21 pm

vpintz wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:Yeah, I was tweaking about that. Lol I sent in a $270 check (2 application fees and the reservation/holding deposit) and was freaking out she didn't get it (I've been raised to worry about that sort of thing). I just kept emailing her and thankfully she let me know the second it got in :lol:

I'm the same exact way! I'm such a control freak, t's crossed and i's dotted type person. It's actually annoying sometimes >.>

That's a good trait. I just rejected a real estate contract because it only used the sellers' first names. Seriously? WTF?? I wish more realtors were detail oriented.

Opie

Postby Opie » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:59 pm

So this is what I get for playing coy... I'm trying to make a seat deposit and the credit card system isn't working. :shock:

llachans

Postby llachans » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:59 pm

Opie wrote:So this is what I get for playing coy... I'm trying to make a seat deposit and the credit card system isn't working. :shock:

Commented on FB to you. It works fine for me : (

Opie

Postby Opie » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:31 pm

I got to work eventually. I think there may be something wring with my card. The wife's card worked and it is from the same account. I'm not sure though because I bought fro Eros right after that using my card.

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:11 pm

Just found out that I got my apartment! Can't sign the least until I'm in Iowa next (their policy is that leases must be signed in person), but my apartment is reserved for me and I'm supes excited.

Opie

Postby Opie » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:56 pm

vpintz wrote:Just found out that I got my apartment! Can't sign the least until I'm in Iowa next (their policy is that leases must be signed in person), but my apartment is reserved for me and I'm supes excited.

Yay! Too bad you're not here. Live comedy tonight for $5!

llachans

Postby llachans » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:50 pm

vpintz wrote:Just found out that I got my apartment! Can't sign the least until I'm in Iowa next (their policy is that leases must be signed in person), but my apartment is reserved for me and I'm supes excited.

That's so exciting! Congrats!

I just got my scholarship upped! Will 100% be attending Drake in the Fall! (Although I'm guessing it's because I didn't apply until March and they weren't sure what funds they could initially offer me.) So excited :D

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:51 pm

llachans wrote:

That's so exciting! Congrats!

I just got my scholarship upped! Will 100% be attending Drake in the Fall! (Although I'm guessing it's because I didn't apply until March and they weren't sure what funds they could initially offer me.) So excited :D

dgkjhsdghsadkjf CONGRATS!!!!! so exciting! =D

llachans

Postby llachans » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:55 pm

vpintz wrote:dgkjhsdghsadkjf CONGRATS!!!!! so exciting! =D

I definitely wasn't expecting it! I was hoping to make a positive decision soon, so I'm glad I can now. I'm cracking open the alcohol to celebrate!! (And posting on TLS. For shame.)

Opie

Postby Opie » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:05 pm

llachans wrote:
vpintz wrote:dgkjhsdghsadkjf CONGRATS!!!!! so exciting! =D

I definitely wasn't expecting it! I was hoping to make a positive decision soon, so I'm glad I can now. I'm cracking open the alcohol to celebrate!! (And posting on TLS. For shame.)

Congrats! And welcome! TLS is going to have a huge following for such a small school!

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:25 am

Congrats llachans!!! Welcome to the club!

Haha you're right Opie. I think TLS makeup will now go something like this:

1. Northwestern
2. NYU
3. Drake

Lol in all seriousness though, it's awesome that all four of us regulars on this board will be ending up at Drake.

llachans

Postby llachans » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:42 am

shredderrrrrr wrote:Congrats llachans!!! Welcome to the club!

1. Northwestern
2. NYU
3. Drake

Lol in all seriousness though, it's awesome that all four of us regulars on this board will be ending up at Drake.

Thanks! I can't wait to meet all of you guys in the Fall!

I also had someone PMing me about Drake yesterday, so it's not too late to possibly add a 5th TLSer!

Opie

Postby Opie » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:17 am

llachans wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:Congrats llachans!!! Welcome to the club!

1. Northwestern
2. NYU
3. Drake

Thanks! I can't wait to meet all of you guys in the Fall!

I also had someone PMing me about Drake yesterday, so it's not too late to possibly add a 5th TLSer!

Awesome! Encourage them to post!

llachans

Postby llachans » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:26 am

Opie wrote:

haha. Their post count is 0. Unlikely!

Opie

Postby Opie » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:34 pm

llachans wrote:
Opie wrote:

You never know! We're friendly!

Shredderrrrr, you're missing Shredfest down the street from my house.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:55 pm

Opie wrote:
llachans wrote:
Opie wrote:

I missed SHREDFEST?! What is that? A guitar festival? A festival about the Ninja Turtles villain? A festival in honor of me? ALL OF THE ABOVE?!?!

Opie

Postby Opie » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:09 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
Opie wrote:
llachans wrote:
Opie wrote:

I missed SHREDFEST?! What is that? A guitar festival? A festival about the Ninja Turtles villain? A festival in honor of me? ALL OF THE ABOVE?!?!

Even better!

A local Catholic church hired a document disposal company to shred unwanted documents for free! There's nothing the RCC likes more than destroying evidence. ;)

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:27 pm

Opie wrote:Even better!

A local Catholic church hired a document disposal company to shred unwanted documents for free! There's nothing the RCC likes more than destroying evidence. ;)

:lol: I loled. Loudly. Clearly I came in to post at the right time! :lol:

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:42 pm

Opie wrote:Even better!

A local Catholic church hired a document disposal company to shred unwanted documents for free! There's nothing the RCC likes more than destroying evidence.

Lol I read "Even better" and "Catholic church" and was gonna throw a :? your way.

Opie

Postby Opie » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:27 pm

Thought you guys would like that. They had balloons and banners and all.

ETA: Proof --LinkRemoved--

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:52 pm

Opie wrote:Thought you guys would like that. They had balloons and banners and all.

ETA: Proof --LinkRemoved--

Oh dear god. Oh, Des Moines, how I have missed your antics. <3

llachans

Postby llachans » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:58 pm

I just found out that only 45% of students who get scholarships are able to renew them by maintaining a top third class rank. Anyone else worried about this? I'm sure I'll do fine if I don't get lazy, but nevertheless it has to be a huge concern.

Opie

Postby Opie » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:54 pm

llachans wrote:I just found out that only 45% of students who get scholarships are able to renew them by maintaining a top third class rank. Anyone else worried about this? I'm sure I'll do fine if I don't get lazy, but nevertheless it has to be a huge concern.

What's the source on that? Is that the percent the keep them all 3 years, or who keep them after first year?

I've heard other things. FWIW, several people who do not have an interest in me going to Drake (and who have recent JDs) have said it shouldn't be a problem. I think Shredderrr said he saw a more optimistic number from an official source. I could be wrong there though.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”