Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
llachans

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby llachans » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:45 pm

Lovely people of Des Moines, could you help me out with narrowing my apartment search?

The girlfriend and I are looking for a 2 bedroom place that accepts cats, has reasonable parking arrangements, and is either close to Drake or is in a good part of downtown. Also, I would prefer a quiet study-friendly environment not swarming with undergrads. Our price range is approx. 1400-1500/month, although we pay more than that now.

Where should I begin my search? We plan on moving in in August. How soon should I expect to sign a contract, without my options being severely limited?

I would also attend the relays event, but I will not be in the area :cry:

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:36 am

llachans wrote:Lovely people of Des Moines, could you help me out with narrowing my apartment search?

The girlfriend and I are looking for a 2 bedroom place that accepts cats, has reasonable parking arrangements, and is either close to Drake or is in a good part of downtown. Also, I would prefer a quiet study-friendly environment not swarming with undergrads. Our price range is approx. 1400-1500/month, although we pay more than that now.

Where should I begin my search? We plan on moving in in August. How soon should I expect to sign a contract, without my options being severely limited?

I would also attend the relays event, but I will not be in the area :cry:

With that price range, pretty much every apartment in the city is affordable. I have found through my searching that, at least in every single downtown/East Village/Sherman Hill apartment, they don't know until the month before (about 30 days) prior to your move-in date what is available. This is because Iowa law only requires tenants to notify landlords 30 days in advance of moving out. Literally the only apartment we talked to that knew of an availability (for middle of June) was Gateway Lofts and that was a major reason we picked there.

I've also found that having cats isn't really a big limitation (it just might cost you more per month). The only places I remember that don't allow cats were e5w and any Hubbell properties.

Opie is definitely the man to talk to when it comes to 'parts of town,' but I can help recommend which places my gf and I liked/didn't like in our search. What type of place do you guys want (modern/old-fashioned/homey)?

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:38 am

vpintz wrote:
Opie wrote:Anyone going to the relays event?

I'm probably not, but I'm up for coffee/drinks with any who are.

I would, but...yknow...Pennsylvania. :C

Also, I dunno if I poasted this, but my move date should be May 24th/25th. PENCIL IT IN, BITCHES

Don't think I'll be going.

On May 24th/25th...I'll be in the French Alps :mrgreen:

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:44 am

shredderrrrrr wrote:
vpintz wrote:
Opie wrote:Anyone going to the relays event?

I'm probably not, but I'm up for coffee/drinks with any who are.

I would, but...yknow...Pennsylvania. :C

Also, I dunno if I poasted this, but my move date should be May 24th/25th. PENCIL IT IN, BITCHES

Don't think I'll be going.

On May 24th/25th...I'll be in the French Alps :mrgreen:

h8 chu. <3

llachans

Postby llachans » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:03 am

shredderrrrrr wrote:
With that price range, pretty much every apartment in the city is affordable. I have found through my searching that, at least in every single downtown/East Village/Sherman Hill apartment, they don't know until the month before (about 30 days) prior to your move-in date what is available. This is because Iowa law only requires tenants to notify landlords 30 days in advance of moving out. Literally the only apartment we talked to that knew of an availability (for middle of June) was Gateway Lofts and that was a major reason we picked there.

Wow. I'd been hearing the exact opposite from people. Weird! That makes me feel a lot less rushed though!

shredderrrrrr wrote:I've also found that having cats isn't really a big limitation (it just might cost you more per month). The only places I remember that don't allow cats were e5w and any Hubbell properties.

That is a huge relief. I talked to about 10 different apartment complexes around MSU and only two or three allowed cats. I refuse to move without my two little guys, so you totally just made my day.

shredderrrrrr wrote:Opie is definitely the man to talk to when it comes to 'parts of town,' but I can help recommend which places my gf and I liked/didn't like in our search. What type of place do you guys want (modern/old-fashioned/homey)?

Safety is a huge priority. My girlfriend's apartment got broken into by two guys with guns last summer while she was alone inside. I know she still struggles with it, so I really want an apartment complex that is relatively safe. I'm pretty practical. At the end of the day, I want something that is fairly cheap. I won't stress too much on what the apartments look like unless they are all similarly priced. If it comes down to deciding between a handful of apartments that are all priced the same, I would prefer a modern loft apartment, furnished (if possible).

Oh! As an after-thought, how convenient is public transportation? It may sound weird, but I don't like to drive. Chicago has kind of killed that pleasure for me. If I lived downtown, would it be easy to take public trans to Drake or would it be more of a hassle than anything?

Opie

Postby Opie » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:15 pm

llachans wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:

Wow. I'd been hearing the exact opposite from people. Weird! That makes me feel a lot less rushed though!

shredderrrrrr wrote:I've also found that having cats isn't really a big limitation (it just might cost you more per month). The only places I remember that don't allow cats were e5w and any Hubbell properties.

That is a huge relief. I talked to about 10 different apartment complexes around MSU and only two or three allowed cats. I refuse to move without my two little guys, so you totally just made my day.

shredderrrrrr wrote:Opie is definitely the man to talk to when it comes to 'parts of town,' but I can help recommend which places my gf and I liked/didn't like in our search. What type of place do you guys want (modern/old-fashioned/homey)?

Safety is a huge priority. My girlfriend's apartment got broken into by two guys with guns last summer while she was alone inside. I know she still struggles with it, so I really want an apartment complex that is relatively safe. I'm pretty practical. At the end of the day, I want something that is fairly cheap. I won't stress too much on what the apartments look like unless they are all similarly priced. If it comes down to deciding between a handful of apartments that are all priced the same, I would prefer a modern loft apartment, furnished (if possible).

Oh! As an after-thought, how convenient is public transportation? It may sound weird, but I don't like to drive. Chicago has kind of killed that pleasure for me. If I lived downtown, would it be easy to take public trans to Drake or would it be more of a hassle than anything?

I will think about this more while I'm at work, but it sounds like Gateway would be optimal for you. I will check public transit on that though. I'm not sure how close it comes to there.

llachans

Postby llachans » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:20 pm

Opie wrote:I will think about this more while I'm at work, but it sounds like Gateway would be optimal for you. I will check public transit on that though. I'm not sure how close it comes to there.

I also saw Metro Loft and Vine Street Loft. Both seem fairly nice and reasonably priced.

Also, a few pages back you advised Shrederrrr to include a suit into his "personal stuff" part of his budget. What is the equivalent for a female? Should I plan to buy one really nice blazer or a few nice dresses? I personally feel more comfortable in a nice blazer. Would wearing the same one over and over again be weird? As I've mentioned before, I'm anything but fashionable and still rely on youthful/casual clothes.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:25 pm

llachans wrote:
Opie wrote:I will think about this more while I'm at work, but it sounds like Gateway would be optimal for you. I will check public transit on that though. I'm not sure how close it comes to there.

I also saw Metro Loft and Vine Street Loft. Both seem fairly nice and reasonably priced.

Also, a few pages back you advised Shrederrrr to include a suit into his "personal stuff" part of his budget. What is the equivalent for a female? Should I plan to buy one really nice blazer or a few nice dresses? I personally feel more comfortable in a nice blazer. Would wearing the same one over and over again be weird? As I've mentioned before, I'm anything but fashionable and still rely on youthful/casual clothes.

Metro is 100% income restricted. I'm not sure about your situation, but if you can't qualify for that (it's more than just your income) then your only option of the two is Vine Street. Vine Street, I believe, is half and half.

I visited both and thought they were nice for the price. I would be curious if the low-income would effect the safety/quality though (don't want to sound judgemental). My only complaint was that the bedrooms were very small compared to what I'm used to.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:36 pm

llachans wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:

Sorry to hear about your girlfriend! As far as safety is concerned, I'd stay away from Drake. Opie will know best, but I get the impression that most of des moines is relatively safe.

I totally understand your consideration for your cats. Lol my two guys want somewhere big to roam as well. Thankfully I don't think you'll have a huge problem with finding somewhere that allows them.

And with regards to move in date, I'd still look early. Even though many didn't know availabilities already, lots had waiting lists.

Opie

Postby Opie » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:58 pm

Still at work, but I will say that there are no places in Des Moines that I would consider unsafe. Some do have higher crime than others, but Des Moines is safer than most places by far.

I will say that some areas APPEAR less safe, and for peace of mind, I would avoid those areas. That would include the area around Drake.

I will also say that excluding Drake area, it will be easiest for you to use public transit if you live downtown or in the Ingersoll area. I'm still looking into the transit situation around Gateway.

For noise reasons, avoid Court ave.

llachans

Postby llachans » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:20 am

Opie wrote:Still at work, but I will say that there are no places in Des Moines that I would consider unsafe. Some do have higher crime than others, but Des Moines is safer than most places by far.

I will say that some areas APPEAR less safe, and for peace of mind, I would avoid those areas. That would include the area around Drake.

I will also say that excluding Drake area, it will be easiest for you to use public transit if you live downtown or in the Ingersoll area. I'm still looking into the transit situation around Gateway.

Des Moines looks safer than my gf's current neighborhood so I'm not too concerned. I just want to make sure the apartment complex itself is secure. I will definitely look into the Ingersoll area. How is Drake with parking? Is it unusual to take public trans to Drake and is there a stop right outside of the campus?

One more question since it appears that I'm on a roll: who would I e-mail in regards to a computer question? I was planning on buying a Mac but the student who took my group on the tour mentioned some difficulties regarding Macs.

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:31 am

llachans wrote:One more question since it appears that I'm on a roll: who would I e-mail in regards to a computer question? I was planning on buying a Mac but the student who took my group on the tour mentioned some difficulties regarding Macs.

I'm a mac person! I have a macbook (2009 model) and I'm planning on buying a macbook pro for law school. I know the exam software that Drake uses does run on Mac OSX. PM me for details if you want more info ^^

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:56 am

llachans wrote:
Opie wrote:Still at work, but I will say that there are no places in Des Moines that I would consider unsafe. Some do have higher crime than others, but Des Moines is safer than most places by far.

Des Moines looks safer than my gf's current neighborhood so I'm not too concerned. I just want to make sure the apartment complex itself is secure. I will definitely look into the Ingersoll area. How is Drake with parking? Is it unusual to take public trans to Drake and is there a stop right outside of the campus?

One more question since it appears that I'm on a roll: who would I e-mail in regards to a computer question? I was planning on buying a Mac but the student who took my group on the tour mentioned some difficulties regarding Macs.

I'd email andrew english. He seems to know everything. I'm a mac user as well and when I asked him, he said he'd estimate that 25 percent of students used macs and that, while windows sometimes worked easier in their system, you shouldn't have a problem having a mac.

llachans

Postby llachans » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:00 pm

vpintz & shredder - I've never actually owned a Mac. My girlfriend bought one over the summer and I've completely fallen in love with it! I'm glad to hear that you both will also be having Macs. Will you be using Circus Ponies or some other software? Obviously, I'm not the most familiar with Mac programs.

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:10 pm

llachans wrote:vpintz & shredder - I've never actually owned a Mac. My girlfriend bought one over the summer and I've completely fallen in love with it! I'm glad to hear that you both will also be having Macs. Will you be using Circus Ponies or some other software? Obviously, I'm not the most familiar with Mac programs.

I already use the notebook mode on the latest version of MS Word to take notes in (UG) class, and honestly, that's worked out just fine for me. I did dl/trial test out circus ponies, just to see if I liked it better than notebook Word, and honestly, I didn't see enough of a difference to justify buying the program. But that's just my opinion. :3

llachans

Postby llachans » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:12 pm

vpintz wrote:I already use the notebook mode on the latest version of MS Word to take notes in (UG) class, and honestly, that's worked out just fine for me. I did dl/trial test out circus ponies, just to see if I liked it better than notebook Word, and honestly, I didn't see enough of a difference to justify buying the program. But that's just my opinion. :3

hm interesting. i think i'm too OCD to stick to word for law school. i've seen all the fancy tutorials for One Note or Circus Ponies on here and it's just too appealing!!!

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:14 pm

llachans wrote:
vpintz wrote:I already use the notebook mode on the latest version of MS Word to take notes in (UG) class, and honestly, that's worked out just fine for me. I did dl/trial test out circus ponies, just to see if I liked it better than notebook Word, and honestly, I didn't see enough of a difference to justify buying the program. But that's just my opinion. :3

hm interesting. i think i'm too OCD to stick to word for law school. i've seen all the fancy tutorials for One Note or Circus Ponies on here and it's just too appealing!!!

I could be wrong on this, but I think there is a Mac version of One Note. let me do some research on that and I'll let you know if I find anything. :] (to be fair, IMO, One Note >>>>> Notebook Mac Word >>>>>>>>>> Circus Ponies.)

ETA: Here's an article discussing the various One Note alternatives for Macs: --LinkRemoved-- I'm a fan of Growly Notes as well, but again, that's just IMO :3

Opie

Postby Opie » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:53 pm

So last night didn't work out too well for posting, but I'll get there. Honestly if you're just looking for a place that is secure, I would look at Newens Dairy Lofts. Secure entry, close enough to walk to class, you can't see the not as nice neighborhood from the loft. I've only ever heard of one home invasion in all of central Iowa history. It was in a nice neighborhood in the suburbs and it's questionable whether it was a real invasion or if they knew the victims. Crime for Des Moines is almost all drug related.

I'm not a Mac person, but tons of law students are. If you like that interface better, I would go with that. One Note is supposed to be the Gold Standard for law school and it has been recommended to me by more than one book, TLS, and current lawyers and law students I have asked. /gunner

More to come.

llachans

Postby llachans » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:58 pm

vpintz wrote:I could be wrong on this, but I think there is a Mac version of One Note. let me do some research on that and I'll let you know if I find anything. :] (to be fair, IMO, One Note >>>>> Notebook Mac Word >>>>>>>>>> Circus Ponies.)

ETA: Here's an article discussing the various One Note alternatives for Macs: --LinkRemoved-- I'm a fan of Growly Notes as well, but again, that's just IMO :3

Wow! Awesome. That link is really helpful. I'll look more into it when I have a little more time.

Opie wrote:So last night didn't work out too well for posting, but I'll get there. Honestly if you're just looking for a place that is secure, I would look at Newens Dairy Lofts. Secure entry, close enough to walk to class, you can't see the not as nice neighborhood from the loft. I've only ever heard of one home invasion in all of central Iowa history. It was in a nice neighborhood in the suburbs and it's questionable whether it was a real invasion or if they knew the victims. Crime for Des Moines is almost all drug related.

Wow. That's insane that home invasions are that unlikely! I'll check into Newens Diary Lofts!

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:28 pm

Opie wrote:So last night didn't work out too well for posting, but I'll get there. Honestly if you're just looking for a place that is secure, I would look at Newens Dairy Lofts. Secure entry, close enough to walk to class, you can't see the not as nice neighborhood from the loft. I've only ever heard of one home invasion in all of central Iowa history. It was in a nice neighborhood in the suburbs and it's questionable whether it was a real invasion or if they knew the victims. Crime for Des Moines is almost all drug related.

I'm not a Mac person, but tons of law students are. If you like that interface better, I would go with that. One Note is supposed to be the Gold Standard for law school and it has been recommended to me by more than one book, TLS, and current lawyers and law students I have asked. /gunner

More to come.

Isn't Newens Dairy Lofts right above Mars Cafe?

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:47 pm

llachans: I figured I would make a list of the reasons why I didn't pursue other apartments so you can consider these things when you make your prediction:

Metro Lofts: Income restricted.
The Kirkwood: Don't know availability until 30 days out before.
e300: Don't know availability until 30 days out before.
e5w: Don't allow pets.
Rumely Lofts: Don't allow pets.
Marketplace Lofts: Don't allow pets.
Hubbell Tower: Don't allow pets.
Riverpoint Lofts: Don't allow pets. Also, they are very dark/cold and have a tiny living room/kitchen when compared to the huge bedrooms.
10th Street Lofts: Terrible reviews and management that acts like high school students.
Court Avenue Lofts: Horrible reviews (in a very noisy location).
AP Lofts: According to Opie, these are a bad choice for Drake students when Gray's Lake floods. Also, they have shaky reviews.
Newens Dairy Lofts: In the Drake neighborhood and above commercial businesses.
University Place Lofts: In the Drake neighborhood and above commercial businesses.
Ingersoll Square: Didn't seem worth the huge cost (when compared to similarly priced Gateway).

Hope this helps when you're trying to narrow it down.

Opie

Postby Opie » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:35 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:

More to come.

Isn't Newens Dairy Lofts right above Mars Cafe?

At least one of them is, but some are above much quieter places like the convenience store or the women's center.

Opie

Postby Opie » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:09 pm

Just completed my transit research (http://www.ridedart.com), and it looks like public transit is a bad idea from the Ingersoll area including Gateway Lofts (which isn't exactly Ingersoll). You COULD walk, but you're looking at 30-40 minutes (1.5ish miles each way).

If you really don't want to drive, I would recommend the stuff close to Drake even though the area isn't great. It's really not that bad, and the buildings are pretty secure. Old Main is gated and walled and has security onsite (plus it's a block from campus police).

Another good idea might be to get a duplex in Beaverdale. It's a quiet and quaint neighborhood near Drake with a lot of great housing. Most of it is $900 or less for 2-3 bedrooms, and they tend to have basement storage and garages.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:51 pm

Opie wrote:Just completed my transit research (http://www.ridedart.com), and it looks like public transit is a bad idea from the Ingersoll area including Gateway Lofts (which isn't exactly Ingersoll). You COULD walk, but you're looking at 30-40 minutes (1.5ish miles each way).

If you really don't want to drive, I would recommend the stuff close to Drake even though the area isn't great. It's really not that bad, and the buildings are pretty secure. Old Main is gated and walled and has security onsite (plus it's a block from campus police).

Another good idea might be to get a duplex in Beaverdale. It's a quiet and quaint neighborhood near Drake with a lot of great housing. Most of it is $900 or less for 2-3 bedrooms, and they tend to have basement storage and garages.

Just go to Gateway, get the same schedule as me, and CARPOOL!

Lol I paid my reservation deposit and have been approved at Gateway. Loft 335 is mine! Just need to sign the lease next time I'm in Des Moines.

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:56 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
Opie wrote:Just completed my transit research (http://www.ridedart.com), and it looks like public transit is a bad idea from the Ingersoll area including Gateway Lofts (which isn't exactly Ingersoll). You COULD walk, but you're looking at 30-40 minutes (1.5ish miles each way).

Just go to Gateway, get the same schedule as me, and CARPOOL!

Lol I paid my reservation deposit and have been approved at Gateway. Loft 335 is mine! Just need to sign the lease next time I'm in Des Moines.

Yay, congrats! =D I need to call/harass the people at Old Main to see if they've received my security deposit check yet >.>

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”