Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
vpintz

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby vpintz » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:04 pm

llachans wrote:I'm out of town and don't have my Drake papers with me.

When is the first seat deposit required? And it's non-binding, correct? Thanks :D

April 15th. And yes, as far as I know. :3

llachans

Postby llachans » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:51 pm

vpintz wrote:April 15th. And yes, as far as I know. :3

Awesome. Thanks!

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:26 pm

ASD was great. I didn't get to meet you though vpintz!

It was nice getting to meet you and your wife Opie! Too bad we couldn't do breakfast. Steph and I ended up going to the Drake Diner in the morning. That place was great. She got the Captain Crunch french toast and I got good ol chicken fried steak and eggs :mrgreen:

Considering EVERY single other place is unavailable (over 20 places I've looked), we are sending in our reservation deposit to Gateway Lofts. We're ready for Drake Law School. Who's with us?!

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:33 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:ASD was great. I didn't get to meet you though vpintz!

It was nice getting to meet you and your wife Opie! Too bad we couldn't do breakfast. Steph and I ended up going to the Drake Diner in the morning. That place was great. She got the Captain Crunch french toast and I got good ol chicken fried steak and eggs :mrgreen:

Considering EVERY single other place is unavailable (over 20 places I've looked), we are sending in our reservation deposit to Gateway Lofts. We're ready for Drake Law School. Who's with us?!

I was hiding in a world of dnw. And by hiding, I mean I was trying to recover from jetlag. (yes, a one time zone difference messed me up that much.) However, Opie can attest to how obnoxious/how much of an asshole I am irl. :P Ditto on liking the meeting the Opie clan, though.

That banquet killed me tho. Dat food. Dose heels. Were killing me. As for housing, I pretty much just said "LOL FUCK IT" and I'll be slumming it at Old Main apartments.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:49 pm

vpintz wrote:

I was hiding in a world of dnw. And by hiding, I mean I was trying to recover from jetlag. (yes, a one time zone difference messed me up that much.) However, Opie can attest to how obnoxious/how much of an asshole I am irl. :P Ditto on liking the meeting the Opie clan, though.

That banquet killed me tho. Dat food. Dose heels. Were killing me. As for housing, I pretty much just said "LOL FUCK IT" and I'll be slumming it at Old Main apartments.

Lol I'm not a banquet person either. I just liking getting to dress up and feel sophisticated :mrgreen:

And Old Main looks pretty nice! Trust me, if it weren't for my girlfriend (hopefully) having an income, having some financial help from my parents, getting an Opperman, demanding to finally get to live downtown-ish in a cool city, and being a sucker for trendy housing, I wouldn't be going to Gateway lol. It's annoying that all the other downtown trendy places (e5w, e300, East Village Square, Vine Street, The Kirkwood, Riverpoint Lofts, Rumely Lofts, Court Avenue Lofts, 10th Street Lofts, AP Lofts, Metro Lofts, Hubbell Tower, and Marketplace Lofts) all are either full, don't allow cats, are income-restricted, or have terrible reviews.

llachans

Postby llachans » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:10 pm

I think I made my decision today! I'm 90% sure I'll be attending Drake this fall. I felt really comfortable on campus. My choice was between MSU and Drake, but I just reviewed their employment stats regarding grads who get Bar required jobs (43% and 77%, respectively) and it pretty much sold me on Drake.

But first I have two questions:

1. MSU is known for its transparency which may explain it's horrible job stats. Is Drake transparent? It seems like it would be pretty hard to fib bar-required stats because it's clear-cut.

2. I know that Drake places in Des Moines and that schools outside the top schools are extremely regional. However, and I guess this is a more general question, do the regional limitations fade over time? For example, if I practice in law for 10 years and eventually want to move out of Iowa, will my job experience count more than my degree? I liked Des Moines and can see myself living and practicing there for many years, but I also recognize that goals change and the future (10 years+ in advance) is unknown.

Thanks guys! Whether or not you realize it, you have been so invaluable in my law school decisions!

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:24 pm

So much going on! SO little posting time! I'll do a mega-post soon, promise!

Opie

Postby Opie » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:23 pm

I promised mega, so here it is...

llachans wrote:My thoughts on the ASD:

I thought the arguments before the Supreme Court were fantastic. You could see that Drake's practical approach really prepares its students for a courtroom setting. I found all of the students very articulate and bright. (I didn't go to the banquet. Which girl (1,2,3,4) won?) I had a few favorites and also really enjoyed the justice that sat the 2nd from the end.

I agree, the arguments were phenomenal! I believe it was what you would call #4. The counsel for the city who had the longer blonde hair and shorter stature.

llachans wrote:I found Drake to be a very comfortable place. Out of all ASDs I've attended, it was definitely the friendliest. I talked to many prospective students and had a good chat with a former student.

I thought the facilities were good. Not the best I've seen, but not terrible either.

To be honest, I wasn't very impressed with the mock class. I found the other 2 ASDs I've attended much more challenging. I left prior ASDs raving about the mock class and how bright the professors seemed. The mock class wasn't bad, it just...wasn't memorable. I know that professors water down the content to include every student into the class, but it just felt rather high schoolish.

This is the only mock class I've been to (though I've been to it more than once), and I agree. I think the idea is to not intimidate anyone. They want you to think you can slay law school, not be terrified of how hard it is going to be.

llachans wrote:I'm pretty torn. There were things I really liked but also a few things that were off-putting. I also found it extremely strange that there was no financial aid discussion.

What did you find off-putting? Other than the mock class, that is. Do other schools talk about financial aid? I'm not sure what the value of discussing financial aid at a school like Drake really is though. There's no need based aid, so either you get a scholarship or you don't and the rest is on the award letter.

vpintz wrote:I was visibly judging all night (like I do). that food was lolarious. Left/limped out with another 0L halfway through to order pizza at the hotel room.

There is definitely plenty to judge in giant rooms full of the self-important. I noticed you guys leaving, but didn't realize you weren't coming back. :mrgreen: Who was it you left with? Maybe I'm too used to catering food after years of catering, but I didn't think it was bad. I'm partial to lamb though.

It was nice getting to meet you and your wife Opie! Too bad we couldn't do breakfast. Steph and I ended up going to the Drake Diner in the morning. That place was great. She got the Captain Crunch french toast and I got good ol chicken fried steak and eggs

It was great meeting you two too (vpintz as well)! Steph was way cool. Drake Diner is pretty awesome. Huge menu, especially past breakfast hours. We'll definitely have to get together more when everyone makes it to Des Moines. I assume you guys are moving here as soon as you get back from Europe; or are you moving before leaving? Vpintz has to be moving in May I would assume. Considering she is signed up for Summer classes. We all need to get together as often as we can for social events before we are all too busy to have fun.

And, I'm almost completely with you.. I'm still holding out for an upgrade though. I have worked out a scenario that would allow me to afford living expenses in Iowa City. That means I still have a decision to make.

vpintz wrote:

It was nice getting to meet you and your wife Opie! Too bad we couldn't do breakfast. Steph and I ended up going to the Drake Diner in the morning. That place was great. She got the Captain Crunch french toast and I got good ol chicken fried steak and eggs

I was hiding in a world of dnw. And by hiding, I mean I was trying to recover from jetlag. (yes, a one time zone difference messed me up that much.) However, Opie can attest to how obnoxious/how much of an asshole I am irl. Ditto on liking the meeting the Opie clan, though.

She's pretty obnox... er, wonderful! It's true though. You rock. The sarcasm flows like wonderful, delicious wine.

Old Main is pretty decent really. They have decent amenities, and it is about as close as you can get to the law school. Great shops right across the street, the Varsity Theater and campus police right next door (you want cops when you live in the Drake neighborhood). It's only real downfall that I know of is that it is full of undergrads. You'll be fine though. From our earlier discussions, you sound like you can handle a crowd.

shredderrrrrr wrote:Lol I'm not a banquet person either. I just liking getting to dress up and feel sophisticated

And Old Main looks pretty nice! Trust me, if it weren't for my girlfriend (hopefully) having an income, having some financial help from my parents, getting an Opperman, demanding to finally get to live downtown-ish in a cool city, and being a sucker for trendy housing, I wouldn't be going to Gateway lol. It's annoying that all the other downtown trendy places (e5w, e300, East Village Square, Vine Street, The Kirkwood, Riverpoint Lofts, Rumely Lofts, Court Avenue Lofts, 10th Street Lofts, AP Lofts, Metro Lofts, Hubbell Tower, and Marketplace Lofts) all are either full, don't allow cats, are income-restricted, or have terrible reviews.

I love formal events, but I could have done without the extreme length of that one.

We're all so jealous of you guys. We'll be living vicariously through you. Trust me, where you're living is way better than all of those places for one reason or another. It's nicer than most of them and way closer than the rest. It is also a lot more convenient to grocery stores, etc., than the others.

llachans wrote:I think I made my decision today! I'm 90% sure I'll be attending Drake this fall. I felt really comfortable on campus. My choice was between MSU and Drake, but I just reviewed their employment stats regarding grads who get Bar required jobs (43% and 77%, respectively) and it pretty much sold me on Drake.

Both are good schools for outside of the top tier. What I would say about MSU though is that it primarily only places in Michigan. While Drake pretty much just places in Des Moines, that's a lot better than Michigan. Des Moines is on pretty much every list of places you want to be, and nowhere in Michigan is really doing well.

llachans wrote:But first I have two questions:

1. MSU is known for its transparency which may explain it's horrible job stats. Is Drake transparent? It seems like it would be pretty hard to fib bar-required stats because it's clear-cut.

I don't think Drake is any less transparent than most other schools, but the numbers are not totally legit. This is because of the sample bias that occurs.

LST has the 75th percentile as making a salary of $80,000. In actuality, that's probably more like the top 15% of the class. I'm getting this from hours of research I have done pouring over the lists of lawyers at firms around town. Nyemaster Goode specifically says that they look for top 10%, and they have a strong Drake presence. Other firms, including some that pay more than Nyemaster's starting $80,000, still have a strong Drake presence. A good number of these Drake grads at the top firms in town specifically state Order of the Coif in their lawyer profiles on the firms' sites. That's automatically a top 10% grad. Some do not, and that is where I am getting the 15% from.

I think the stats are accurate for the people who respond, but only about a third respond (with a bias toward the upper end). The middle of the pack is just larger and squishier than the numbers show. I think the majority of grads are in bar-required jobs, but more in the $50,000-60,000 range. With that said, I have 10 good years of professional experience and I'm only making around $30,000 now, so that's not bad money in Des Moines.

llachans wrote:2. I know that Drake places in Des Moines and that schools outside the top schools are extremely regional. However, and I guess this is a more general question, do the regional limitations fade over time? For example, if I practice in law for 10 years and eventually want to move out of Iowa, will my job experience count more than my degree? I liked Des Moines and can see myself living and practicing there for many years, but I also recognize that goals change and the future (10 years+ in advance) is unknown.

10 years is the magic number from what I've heard. A lawyer friend of mine recently told me that after about 10 years you are basically eating what you kill. Salary isn't so much an issue then, it's about clients, and what kind of name you've made for yourself. If you follow the stuff Drake sends out to admitted students or posts on Facebook, you will see that they have spotlighted some major attorneys and politicians in Minnesota and Illinois lately. You can definitely move on from here, but my bet is that you won't want to.

llachans wrote:Thanks guys! Whether or not you realize it, you have been so invaluable in my law school decisions!

We're always happy to help! With that said, did I meet you at ASD? I'm wondering who I may have met from here. I met a few people, Matt and Louis in particular, that I'm wondering if I know from here as well.

llachans

Postby llachans » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:03 pm

Opie wrote:
What did you find off-putting? Other than the mock class, that is. Do other schools talk about financial aid? I'm not sure what the value of discussing financial aid at a school like Drake really is though. There's no need based aid, so either you get a scholarship or you don't and the rest is on the award letter.

I was referring mostly to the mock class and the facilities. For some reason, I just wasn't a fan of the facilities. The rooms seemed depressing and the technology in the mock courtroom wasn't the best I'd seen.

Most schools I visited had a half-hour financial presentation discussing various loan-repayment plans you could pursue. It put the debt in perspective while allowing you to estimate how long it would take it repay. It's definitely helpful for young-uns like me!

As far as the stats that you analyzed, thanks! I'm definitely more interested in the employment stats than the salaray statistics. I hope to work for a DA's office and know what to expect as far as that goes.

Opie wrote:
We're always happy to help! With that said, did I meet you at ASD? I'm wondering who I may have met from here. I met a few people, Matt and Louis in particular, that I'm wondering if I know from here as well.

I think I only met a mother of four or five children and some out-of-state people. I didn't expect there to be people from states so far away with no ties to Iowa. I was definitely not as sociable as I would normally have been. I broke my back three weeks ago and am still in a back brace. I was definitely losing energy fast by the end of the ASD. For the record, I was the chick with an assymetrical haircut and an argyle sweater.

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:04 pm

Opie wrote:I promised mega, so here it is...

vpintz wrote:I was visibly judging all night (like I do). that food was lolarious. Left/limped out with another 0L halfway through to order pizza at the hotel room.

There is definitely plenty to judge in giant rooms full of the self-important. I noticed you guys leaving, but didn't realize you weren't coming back. :mrgreen: Who was it you left with? Maybe I'm too used to catering food after years of catering, but I didn't think it was bad. I'm partial to lamb though.
Her name's Sarah...we actually really bonded that night, and she put down her deposit for Drake! TSO EXCITE. We're like the same exact person.

Opie wrote:*****

It was great meeting you two too (vpintz as well)! Steph was way cool. Drake Diner is pretty awesome. Huge menu, especially past breakfast hours. We'll definitely have to get together more when everyone makes it to Des Moines. I assume you guys are moving here as soon as you get back from Europe; or are you moving before leaving? Vpintz has to be moving in May I would assume. Considering she is signed up for Summer classes. We all need to get together as often as we can for social events before we are all too busy to have fun.

And, I'm almost completely with you.. I'm still holding out for an upgrade though. I have worked out a scenario that would allow me to afford living expenses in Iowa City. That means I still have a decision to make.

I'm moving on May 24th/25th, taking my time to move that weekend! Tso tso tso excite for Des Moines funtimes. <3

Opie wrote:*****

She's pretty obnox... er, wonderful! It's true though. You rock. The sarcasm flows like wonderful, delicious wine.

Old Main is pretty decent really. They have decent amenities, and it is about as close as you can get to the law school. Great shops right across the street, the Varsity Theater and campus police right next door (you want cops when you live in the Drake neighborhood). It's only real downfall that I know of is that it is full of undergrads. You'll be fine though. From our earlier discussions, you sound like you can handle a crowd.

I see you being nice there |': but for reals, I had fun! And I'm glad you approve of my sarcasm. <3 As it turns out, I'll be living in Drake Pointe apartments, which is owned/managed by the same management company--it's right next to the Drake Diner, from what the manager told me. I'm pretty okay with it :3

Opie

Postby Opie » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:34 pm

llachans wrote:
Opie wrote:

I was referring mostly to the mock class and the facilities. For some reason, I just wasn't a fan of the facilities. The rooms seemed depressing and the technology in the mock courtroom wasn't the best I'd seen.

Most schools I visited had a half-hour financial presentation discussing various loan-repayment plans you could pursue. It put the debt in perspective while allowing you to estimate how long it would take it repay. It's definitely helpful for young-uns like me!

As far as the stats that you analyzed, thanks! I'm definitely more interested in the employment stats than the salaray statistics. I hope to work for a DA's office and know what to expect as far as that goes.

Opie wrote:

I think I only met a mother of four or five children and some out-of-state people. I didn't expect there to be people from states so far away with no ties to Iowa. I was definitely not as sociable as I would normally have been. I broke my back three weeks ago and am still in a back brace. I was definitely losing energy fast by the end of the ASD. For the record, I was the chick with an assymetrical haircut and an argyle sweater.

I suppose that would make sense about the repayment stuff. Drake has a more robust website than many smaller schools I have found though, so maybe that's why they don't cover it in detail at ASD.

I'm pretty sure I didn't see you. Are you on the facebook group? I want to get to know as many people in advance as I can because it's hard to form a social group while you're trying to perform academically.

@vpintz, I'm glad that there are more of you out there. Drake Pointe is decent too. I don't think I've ever been in there, but the vibe is a little less UG partay.

That Sarah girl was on my tour! She was cool. I just added her on FB since she is now officially approved as awesome.

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:51 pm

Opie wrote:@vpintz, I'm glad that there are more of you out there. Drake Pointe is decent too. I don't think I've ever been in there, but the vibe is a little less UG partay.

That Sarah girl was on my tour! She was cool. I just added her on FB since she is now officially approved as awesome.

Oh god I approve of less UG partay. Do want. Also, she's so rad. Already <3 this girl.

Opie

Postby Opie » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:17 pm

vpintz wrote:
Opie wrote:@vpintz, I'm glad that there are more of you out there. Drake Pointe is decent too. I don't think I've ever been in there, but the vibe is a little less UG partay.

Oh god I approve of less UG partay. Do want. Also, she's so rad. Already <3 this girl.

From what I've seen, it's mostly seniors, older students, married students, and non-students.

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:19 pm

Opie wrote:
vpintz wrote:

From what I've seen, it's mostly seniors, older students, married students, and non-students.

I approve tso hard. I prefer my partying places to be separate from my living places. (in other words, I like to sleep at night.) Although the senior thing might be...interesting >.>

llachans

Postby llachans » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:13 pm

vpintz wrote:I approve tso hard. I prefer my partying places to be separate from my living places. (in other words, I like to sleep at night.) Although the senior thing might be...interesting >.>

This is so important! I like to drink once a week if I have time to release stress, but I hate having other people partying get in the way of my studying or sleeping.

Opie wrote:
I'm pretty sure I didn't see you. Are you on the facebook group? I want to get to know as many people in advance as I can because it's hard to form a social group while you're trying to perform academically.

I'm not. I was actually looking through here earlier today for the link, because I know it's been posted before. What is the group called again? Let me know your first/last name through here or a PM and I'd be more than happy to add you : )

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:15 pm

llachans wrote:
vpintz wrote:I approve tso hard. I prefer my partying places to be separate from my living places. (in other words, I like to sleep at night.) Although the senior thing might be...interesting >.>

This is so important! I like to drink once a week if I have time to release stress, but I hate having other people partying get in the way of my studying or sleeping.

Exactly! I like to go out, but I really like being able to get away from the noise and partying to relax/sleep. Which is why I could never live in my sorority's house.

llachans wrote:
Opie wrote:

I'm not. I was actually looking through here earlier today for the link, because I know it's been posted before. What is the group called again? Let me know your first/last name through here or a PM and I'd be more than happy to add you : )

Feel free to add me, too! :]

Opie

Postby Opie » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:21 pm

llachans wrote:

Opie wrote:

It's called "Drake Law SchoolClass of 2015". Real name in PM. :)

llachans

Postby llachans » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:02 am

Added both of you guys! I'm glad Drake students are turning out to be so friendly :D

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:36 am

llachans wrote:Added both of you guys! I'm glad Drake students are turning out to be so friendly :D

I'd add you, but I don't gost a Facebook :cry:

llachans

Postby llachans » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:31 am

shredderrrrrr wrote:I'd add you, but I don't gost a Facebook :cry:

haha. I remember you saying that earlier in the thread. I give you props for that. Facebook is evil, save staying connected with family.

Opie

Postby Opie » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:33 am

llachans wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:I'd add you, but I don't gost a Facebook :cry:

haha. I remember you saying that earlier in the thread. I give you props for that. Facebook is evil, save staying connected with family.

Ahem, and your future law school buddies.

llachans

Postby llachans » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:28 am

Opie wrote:Ahem, and your future law school buddies.

and companions in law school hell.

Opie

Postby Opie » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:15 pm

Anyone going to the relays event?

I'm probably not, but I'm up for coffee/drinks with any who are.

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:19 pm

Opie wrote:Anyone going to the relays event?

I would, but...yknow...Pennsylvania. :C

Also, I dunno if I poasted this, but my move date should be May 24th/25th. PENCIL IT IN, BITCHES

Opie

Postby Opie » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:40 pm

vpintz wrote:
Opie wrote:Anyone going to the relays event?

I would, but...yknow...Pennsylvania. :C

Also, I dunno if I poasted this, but my move date should be May 24th/25th. PENCIL IT IN, BITCHES

I will be working those days, but if you need any moving assistance, etc., in the evening, let me know.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”