Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Opie

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby Opie » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:58 pm

I've heard great things about the collection. I never has a chance to go though. Des Moines Art Center is free will offering, and has some petty cool stuff too.

And can I just say that there are some scammy ass real estate lawyers out there.. /workrant

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:08 pm

Opie wrote:I've heard great things about the collection. I never has a chance to go though. Des Moines Art Center is free will offering, and has some petty cool stuff too.

And can I just say that there are some scammy ass real estate lawyers out there.. /workrant

The Des Moines Art Musuem is worth going for the building alone, if you're a fan of modern architecture.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:49 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:
Opie wrote:I've heard great things about the collection. I never has a chance to go though. Des Moines Art Center is free will offering, and has some petty cool stuff too.

The Des Moines Art Musuem is worth going for the building alone, if you're a fan of modern architecture.

Agreed. And I got to see American gothic there!

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:14 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
DocHawkeye wrote:

That f-ing painting belongs in my hometown. Damn you, Art Institute of Chicago! (end rant)

Opie

Postby Opie » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:49 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:
DocHawkeye wrote:

That f-ing painting belongs in my hometown. Damn you, Art Institute of Chicago! (end rant)

Are you from Eldon, Doc?

New tie and new dress for the wife are here. Both exceed expectations. Thank you Von Maur.

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:52 pm

Opie wrote:
DocHawkeye wrote:That f-ing painting belongs in my hometown. Damn you, Art Institute of Chicago! (end rant)

Are you from Eldon, Doc?

New tie and new dress for the wife are here. Both exceed expectations. Thank you Von Maur.

From Cedar Rapids, where Grant Wood lived, taught, and most importantly, painted American Gothic. Also, why is your wife wearing a dress and a tie? Seems a bit over the top to me...

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:45 am

Opie wrote:
Are you from Eldon, Doc?

Nice! So you're wearing a button up and tie during the day?

Opie

Postby Opie » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:32 am

DocHawkeye wrote:
Opie wrote:
DocHawkeye wrote:That f-ing painting belongs in my hometown. Damn you, Art Institute of Chicago! (end rant)

Are you from Eldon, Doc?

From Cedar Rapids, where Grant Wood lived, taught, and most importantly, painted American Gothic. Also, why is your wife wearing a dress and a tie? Seems a bit over the top to me...

Ahh.. I see. I don't know that much about him really, but it's a great painting.

And the tie is for me, duh. ;) I do love women in ties though. We used to do a tie day on Tuesdays at my last job, and I got a couple of women to participate. Well worth the effort.

Shredderrr, I'll probably leave the tie out during the day, but I've been looking for a tie that went better with one of my suits. I was very happy to see this one on sale online.

Edited for: temporary lapse of gender sensitivity.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:41 pm

Officially withdrew all other applications, and committed to Drake by paying the $250 seat deposit today. WOOOOOO!!!!

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:41 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:Officially withdrew all other applications, and committed to Drake by paying the $250 seat deposit today. WOOOOOO!!!!

YAYYYYYY =DDDD congrats!

Opie

Postby Opie » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:40 pm

vpintz wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:Officially withdrew all other applications, and committed to Drake by paying the $250 seat deposit today. WOOOOOO!!!!

YAYYYYYY =DDDD congrats!

+1!!

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:07 am

So excited! Now we're just waiting on you Opie. When I dropped off the check today, I saw a bunch of law students and kept wondering if you and vpintz were one of them...lol then I remembered you guys aren't attending Drake YET.

Almost set on an apartment as well. Just need to get the reservation money together.

This may sound like a dumb question, but are there any major things I should consider when budgeting how much housing I can afford? My gf and I are still on our parents health care through LS, I don't have to pay tuition, we have no debt or loans to pay off, we both have a car that is fully paid off, and I will still be on my parents phone plan. The things I'm budgeting for:

Books and other miscellaneous LS stuff
Food
Our two cats
Savings
Entertainment
Personal stuff (clothes and what not)

Are there any big things that I need to be ready for in the real world? Lol this is the first time I'm really having to budget for myself and I don't want to be blindsided.

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:52 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:So excited! Now we're just waiting on you Opie. When I dropped off the check today, I saw a bunch of law students and kept wondering if you and vpintz were one of them...lol then I remembered you guys aren't attending Drake YET.

We'll see what happens. I still haven't 100% ruled out Iowa. I'm hoping and praying that Drake will make my decision for me and give me Hawklaw's scholarship.

shredderrrrrr wrote:Almost set on an apartment as well. Just need to get the reservation money together.

Where are you thinking of living? I'll ask around and see if I can dig anything up on it.

shredderrrrrr wrote:This may sound like a dumb question, but are there any major things I should consider when budgeting how much housing I can afford? My gf and I are still on our parents health care through LS, I don't have to pay tuition, we have no debt or loans to pay off, we both have a car that is fully paid off, and I will still be on my parents phone plan. The things I'm budgeting for:

Food
Our two cats
Savings
Entertainment

Are there any big things that I need to be ready for in the real world? Lol this is the first time I'm really having to budget for myself and I don't want to be blindsided.

Not sure about the books and things so much, but I've heard that the estimate they give is high, so I would say $1500 a year should be more than enough for books, study aids, and anything else you need.

Based on the USDA's stats, food cost should be about $600 a month for the two of you. I think that number is a little high (I used the moderate cost plan, --LinkRemoved--), but you could start with that and adjust as you go.

As far as the cats go, you'll have to figure out how much they eat and how much litter, etc. is. Then I would add a little for vet appointments, toys, etc.

For savings, you ideally want to have about 2-3 months' living expenses in a savings account with no risk. You can build up to this over several months if you need to, but I would get one month's worth within a few months, then slow down if necessary. Then I wouldn't worry much about saving while in law school. If you have excess funds, I would put the maximum tax-free amount in a Roth IRA for retirement (but you should get real financial advice if you're saving for retirement, I'm no financial advisor).

Entertainment depends a lot on what you like to do. I don't budget much for this because I have kids and we don't go out much. Our entertainment budget basically consists of internet, hulu plus, netflix, and a dinner out about once a week. I can tell you that you can get Mediacom (where available, some apartments have Vision Systems) 12 Mbps internet plus cable, starz, encore, and a digital box for about $80 a month with a 2-year contract.

Personal stuff is pretty variable. I would budget for a new (non-black) suit by the end of fall semester (or put it on VM charge for about $60 a month for 10 months). Think about how much you use in soap, laundry (whatever that arrangement is where you are living), hair products, makeup for your girlfriend if she uses it, other feminine products she may need, contraception that may not be covered by insurance (something people don't think about), deodorant, cleaning products, car insurance, renter's insurance (well worth it and I actually AM qualified to advise on this, so ask if you have questions), life insurance (assuming your parents don't have any on you; with no dependents, you probably only need enough to get your girlfriend through the end of the lease and pay for a funeral -- I can hook you up with an agent if you need one), fuel for your cars, utilities (power/gas, water, trash -- depends a lot on where you're living -- the utility companies can give you estimates if you call), and all of the other clothing you might want!

Being a grown up is expensive.

NOW! On to the real reason that I came online! ASW!

PM me your info if you are going to be in town, when you're getting here, where you'll be, what events you're going to, and if you want to be included in any festivities I may be planning. I'll PM you back with my contact info.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:06 am

Opie wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:So excited! Now we're just waiting on you Opie. When I dropped off the check today, I saw a bunch of law students and kept wondering if you and vpintz were one of them...lol then I remembered you guys aren't attending Drake YET.

We'll see what happens. I still haven't 100% ruled out Iowa. I'm hoping and praying that Drake will make my decision for me and give me Hawklaw's scholarship.

shredderrrrrr wrote:Almost set on an apartment as well. Just need to get the reservation money together.

Where are you thinking of living? I'll ask around and see if I can dig anything up on it.

shredderrrrrr wrote:This may sound like a dumb question, but are there any major things I should consider when budgeting how much housing I can afford? My gf and I are still on our parents health care through LS, I don't have to pay tuition, we have no debt or loans to pay off, we both have a car that is fully paid off, and I will still be on my parents phone plan. The things I'm budgeting for:

Food
Our two cats
Savings
Entertainment

Not sure about the books and things so much, but I've heard that the estimate they give is high, so I would say $1500 a year should be more than enough for books, study aids, and anything else you need.

Based on the USDA's stats, food cost should be about $600 a month for the two of you. I think that number is a little high (I used the moderate cost plan, --LinkRemoved--), but you could start with that and adjust as you go.

As far as the cats go, you'll have to figure out how much they eat and how much litter, etc. is. Then I would add a little for vet appointments, toys, etc.

For savings, you ideally want to have about 2-3 months' living expenses in a savings account with no risk. You can build up to this over several months if you need to, but I would get one month's worth within a few months, then slow down if necessary. Then I wouldn't worry much about saving while in law school. If you have excess funds, I would put the maximum tax-free amount in a Roth IRA for retirement (but you should get real financial advice if you're saving for retirement, I'm no financial advisor).

Entertainment depends a lot on what you like to do. I don't budget much for this because I have kids and we don't go out much. Our entertainment budget basically consists of internet, hulu plus, netflix, and a dinner out about once a week. I can tell you that you can get Mediacom (where available, some apartments have Vision Systems) 12 Mbps internet plus cable, starz, encore, and a digital box for about $80 a month with a 2-year contract.

Personal stuff is pretty variable. I would budget for a new (non-black) suit by the end of fall semester (or put it on VM charge for about $60 a month for 10 months). Think about how much you use in soap, laundry (whatever that arrangement is where you are living), hair products, makeup for your girlfriend if she uses it, other feminine products she may need, contraception that may not be covered by insurance (something people don't think about), deodorant, cleaning products, car insurance, renter's insurance (well worth it and I actually AM qualified to advise on this, so ask if you have questions), life insurance (assuming your parents don't have any on you; with no dependents, you probably only need enough to get your girlfriend through the end of the lease and pay for a funeral -- I can hook you up with an agent if you need one), fuel for your cars, utilities (power/gas, water, trash -- depends a lot on where you're living -- the utility companies can give you estimates if you call), and all of the other clothing you might want!

PM me your info if you are going to be in town, when you're getting here, where you'll be, what events you're going to, and if you want to be included in any festivities I may be planning. I'll PM you back with my contact info.

Wow, great response! Thanks for all of the information.

It's looking like we'll be staying at Gateway Lofts. They are really pricey, but they are exactly what we want. We need somewhere reserved before we leave for France (so over a month out) which has been tough to find. e300, for instance, doesn't know what they have open until the month of. Not only does Gateway have a 2 bedroom loft unit coming available at the perfect time, it is the cheapest one in the complex. Also, it has underground heated parking, washers and dryers in all apartments, dishwasher, allows cats, and has storage units. The owner has been super helpful and they are honestly the nicest looking apartments I've ever seen (I'm big on aesthetics).

They are also in a great location for what I want. I have always wanted to live downtown, but these are far enough out to not be bothered by all the bars on weekends. Also, it is literally only 5 minutes from the law school just heading up MLK.

Have you heard anything about these? I know we could get cheaper places or more logical options, but we'd rather spend more and skimp elsewhere to live somewhere we've always wanted to. We are also going to tour the Newens Dairy Lofts and University Place Lofts right on campus on Saturday.

Opie

Postby Opie » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:25 am

shredderrrrrr wrote:
Opie wrote:

Food
Our two cats
Savings
Entertainment

Wow, great response! Thanks for all of the information.

It's looking like we'll be staying at Gateway Lofts. They are really pricey, but they are exactly what we want. We need somewhere reserved before we leave for France (so over a month out) which has been tough to find. e300, for instance, doesn't know what they have open until the month of. Not only does Gateway have a 2 bedroom loft unit coming available at the perfect time, it is the cheapest one in the complex. Also, it has underground heated parking, washers and dryers in all apartments, dishwasher, allows cats, and has storage units. The owner has been super helpful and they are honestly the nicest looking apartments I've ever seen (I'm big on aesthetics).

They are also in a great location for what I want. I have always wanted to live downtown, but these are far enough out to not be bothered by all the bars on weekends. Also, it is literally only 5 minutes from the law school just heading up MLK.

Have you heard anything about these? I know we could get cheaper places or more logical options, but we'd rather spend more and skimp elsewhere to live somewhere we've always wanted to. We are also going to tour the Newens Dairy Lofts and University Place Lofts right on campus on Saturday.

I have not heard anything about Gateway Lofts precisely because they're so expensive. :mrgreen: I'll put the feelers out though.

Dairy is not as nice as Gateway, but it's SO close to Drake! That's a good thing IMO as the Drake area isn't that loud.

University place looks really nice, and is walkable, but it's totally undergrad land. Very convenient to stores though.

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:26 am

Should have landed in DSM ten minutes ago. Stuck in Memphis until the next flight to DSM leaves (at fucking 2:25 pm). I'm piiiiiissed. /rant

Opie

Postby Opie » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:41 pm

vpintz wrote:Should have landed in DSM ten minutes ago. Stuck in Memphis until the next flight to DSM leaves (at fucking 2:25 pm). I'm piiiiiissed. /rant

Boo! Go have some Gus's Fried Chicken! It's worth it!

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:20 pm

I have not heard anything about Gateway Lofts precisely because they're so expensive. I'll put the feelers out though.

Dairy is not as nice as Gateway, but it's SO close to Drake! That's a good thing IMO as the Drake area isn't that loud.

University place looks really nice, and is walkable, but it's totally undergrad land. Very convenient to stores though.

Yeah it's pricey lol. We'd be paying more (with only a teaching salary, Opperman stipend, and financial assistance from parents) for housing than my sister who is a third/fourth-year actuary at Principal (obviously making sweet money). Buuuuuuut.....I think it'll be worth the splurge. Not necessarily the most financially wise move, but I think it is within our means. It would constitute about 40% of our budget...more than the suggested maximum of 33% but not too outrageous in my opinion. Even after rent is taken out every month, we would still have twice as much money each month than we do now (which is already plenty).

I'm curious to see Newens Dairy and University. Are we talking about the same University Place Lofts though? The University I'm referring to is right above Planet Sub. I thought Newens was just on the other side of the building.

Opie

Postby Opie » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:36 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
I have not heard anything about Gateway Lofts precisely because they're so expensive. I'll put the feelers out though.

Yeah it's pricey lol. We'd be paying more (with only a teaching salary, Opperman stipend, and financial assistance from parents) for housing than my sister who is a third/fourth-year actuary at Principal (obviously making sweet money). Buuuuuuut.....I think it'll be worth the splurge. Not necessarily the most financially wise move, but I think it is within our means. It would constitute about 40% of our budget...more than the suggested maximum of 33% but not too outrageous in my opinion. Even after rent is taken out every month, we would still have twice as much money each month than we do now (which is already plenty).

I'm curious to see Newens Dairy and University. Are we talking about the same University Place Lofts though? The University I'm referring to is right above Planet Sub. I thought Newens was just on the other side of the building.

That's probably doable. I pay about 15% for my actual house payment, but insurance and utilities run another 5% of my budget. I would definitely map out your budget carefully. Teaching work is hard to find in Des Moines right now. My mother-in-law and sister-in-law both just lost their jobs due to cutbacks. One was an AP history teacher, the other an elementary teacher in the rougher part of town.

We are thinking different apartments. Newens Dairy and University place are next to each other. In fact I think they're pretty similar. I don't know much about either of them though. I would, however, try to avoid being above Mars Cafe, as they have live music frequently.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:42 pm

Opie wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:

That's probably doable. I pay about 15% for my actual house payment, but insurance and utilities run another 5% of my budget. I would definitely map out your budget carefully. Teaching work is hard to find in Des Moines right now. My mother-in-law and sister-in-law both just lost their jobs due to cutbacks. One was an AP history teacher, the other an elementary teacher in the rougher part of town.

We are thinking different apartments. Newens Dairy and University place are next to each other. In fact I think they're pretty similar. I don't know much about either of them though. I would, however, try to avoid being above Mars Cafe, as they have live music frequently.

She is in special education which helps (it is considered a high-need field throughout the entire state) but we're definitely waiting to see how things go! Lol finding a job is never fun in a market like this.

Opie

Postby Opie » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:53 pm

That's good. DMPS says they're taking applications for it, but they also say that they're taking applications for elementary and they just laid a bunch of people off. Things should get interesting. Especially if Sebring gets the Omaha position she's in the running for.

Opie

Postby Opie » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:49 am

Hope everyone got home okay. What did you think of the banquet?

llachans

Postby llachans » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:51 pm

My thoughts on the ASD:

I thought the arguments before the Supreme Court were fantastic. You could see that Drake's practical approach really prepares its students for a courtroom setting. I found all of the students very articulate and bright. (I didn't go to the banquet. Which girl (1,2,3,4) won?) I had a few favorites and also really enjoyed the justice that sat the 2nd from the end.

I found Drake to be a very comfortable place. Out of all ASDs I've attended, it was definitely the friendliest. I talked to many prospective students and had a good chat with a former student.

I thought the facilities were good. Not the best I've seen, but not terrible either.

To be honest, I wasn't very impressed with the mock class. I found the other 2 ASDs I've attended much more challenging. I left prior ASDs raving about the mock class and how bright the professors seemed. The mock class wasn't bad, it just...wasn't memorable. I know that professors water down the content to include every student into the class, but it just felt rather high schoolish.

I'm pretty torn. There were things I really liked but also a few things that were off-putting. I also found it extremely strange that there was no financial aid discussion.

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:01 pm

Opie wrote:Hope everyone got home okay. What did you think of the banquet?

I was visibly judging all night (like I do). that food was lolarious. Left/limped out with another 0L halfway through to order pizza at the hotel room.

llachans

Postby llachans » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:58 pm

I'm out of town and don't have my Drake papers with me.

When is the first seat deposit required? And it's non-binding, correct? Thanks :D

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”