Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby Opie » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:29 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:Well shit. As I've mentioned before, I only have a black suit (bought it before I knew any of these rules). Will it look ridiculous wearing that? I surely don't have any money, let alone $500+, to go spend on a new suit. If I dress it down with like a different colored shirt or colorful tie, would that look ok?

Damn I want a job so I can just buy the clothes I want and/or need.


Since the even it in the evening, a black suit should be fine (I'm sure you won't be the only one in one) but black suits are never really acceptable for daytime wear so after you start law schoo, I advise you invest in a good suit or two (look for sales at Men's Warhouse or the like, you can often get a second suit for $100). Wear a white shirt and a brigtly colored tie and you will be fine.

+1

It's because of these kinds of events that black isn't appropriate for daywear. It's fine to wear black after dark or for anything formal after 5pm.

I've said it before, but I'll reiterate: Von Maur charge. Don't do it now, but for future use it is the best thing around. You'll pay regular price most of the time, but there is no interest, free tailoring, and the salespeople are very knowledgeable.

User avatar
DocHawkeye
Posts: 640
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:22 am

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby DocHawkeye » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:55 pm

Opie wrote:
DocHawkeye wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:Well shit. As I've mentioned before, I only have a black suit (bought it before I knew any of these rules). Will it look ridiculous wearing that? I surely don't have any money, let alone $500+, to go spend on a new suit. If I dress it down with like a different colored shirt or colorful tie, would that look ok?

Damn I want a job so I can just buy the clothes I want and/or need.


Since the even it in the evening, a black suit should be fine (I'm sure you won't be the only one in one) but black suits are never really acceptable for daytime wear so after you start law schoo, I advise you invest in a good suit or two (look for sales at Men's Warhouse or the like, you can often get a second suit for $100). Wear a white shirt and a brigtly colored tie and you will be fine.

+1

It's because of these kinds of events that black isn't appropriate for daywear. It's fine to wear black after dark or for anything formal after 5pm.

I've said it before, but I'll reiterate: Von Maur charge. Don't do it now, but for future use it is the best thing around. You'll pay regular price most of the time, but there is no interest, free tailoring, and the salespeople are very knowledgeable.


Did I just type the word "schoo"?

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby Opie » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:22 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:
Opie wrote:
DocHawkeye wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:Well shit. As I've mentioned before, I only have a black suit (bought it before I knew any of these rules). Will it look ridiculous wearing that? I surely don't have any money, let alone $500+, to go spend on a new suit. If I dress it down with like a different colored shirt or colorful tie, would that look ok?

Damn I want a job so I can just buy the clothes I want and/or need.


Since the even it in the evening, a black suit should be fine (I'm sure you won't be the only one in one) but black suits are never really acceptable for daytime wear so after you start law schoo, I advise you invest in a good suit or two (look for sales at Men's Warhouse or the like, you can often get a second suit for $100). Wear a white shirt and a brigtly colored tie and you will be fine.

+1

It's because of these kinds of events that black isn't appropriate for daywear. It's fine to wear black after dark or for anything formal after 5pm.

I've said it before, but I'll reiterate: Von Maur charge. Don't do it now, but for future use it is the best thing around. You'll pay regular price most of the time, but there is no interest, free tailoring, and the salespeople are very knowledgeable.


Did I just type the word "schoo"?

It appears so.

User avatar
shredderrrrrr
Posts: 4673
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:36 am

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby shredderrrrrr » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:46 pm

Opie wrote:
DocHawkeye wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:Well shit. As I've mentioned before, I only have a black suit (bought it before I knew any of these rules). Will it look ridiculous wearing that? I surely don't have any money, let alone $500+, to go spend on a new suit. If I dress it down with like a different colored shirt or colorful tie, would that look ok?

Damn I want a job so I can just buy the clothes I want and/or need.


Since the even it in the evening, a black suit should be fine (I'm sure you won't be the only one in one) but black suits are never really acceptable for daytime wear so after you start law schoo, I advise you invest in a good suit or two (look for sales at Men's Warhouse or the like, you can often get a second suit for $100). Wear a white shirt and a brigtly colored tie and you will be fine.

+1

It's because of these kinds of events that black isn't appropriate for daywear. It's fine to wear black after dark or for anything formal after 5pm.

I've said it before, but I'll reiterate: Von Maur charge. Don't do it now, but for future use it is the best thing around. You'll pay regular price most of the time, but there is no interest, free tailoring, and the salespeople are very knowledgeable.


I am anti-credit cards. Obviously I can't avoid them forever, but I can't stand the idea of buying things before I have the money. Knowing me, that would be a slippery slope. My mom, however, swears by the Von Maur card.

User avatar
vpintz
Posts: 1408
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:51 am

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby vpintz » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:50 pm

Just paid my seat deposit!

User avatar
shredderrrrrr
Posts: 4673
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:36 am

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby shredderrrrrr » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:32 am

vpintz wrote:Just paid my seat deposit!


How much is it again? I'm putting it off as long as possible...

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby Opie » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:50 am

shredderrrrrr wrote:
vpintz wrote:Just paid my seat deposit!


How much is it again? I'm putting it off as long as possible...

250.00, due on 4/16.
I'm definitely leaning towards Drake, but I feel like I need something to push me over the edge. I really want to go to law school with the two of you. That full-tuition at Iowa is way nice though.

User avatar
vpintz
Posts: 1408
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:51 am

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby vpintz » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:58 am

shredderrrrrr wrote:
vpintz wrote:Just paid my seat deposit!


How much is it again? I'm putting it off as long as possible...

Two $250 deposits. I just went ahead and paid the whole $500.

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby Opie » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:45 am

vpintz wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:
vpintz wrote:Just paid my seat deposit!


How much is it again? I'm putting it off as long as possible...

Two $250 deposits. I just went ahead and paid the whole $500.

Big spender.

Who's excited for ASD?? I am.

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby Opie » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:09 am

Bought an new dress for the wife and a new tie for me last night. I got them online, so let's hope they turn out okay. Should be here tomorrow.

User avatar
vpintz
Posts: 1408
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:51 am

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby vpintz » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:17 am

We we we so exciiiiited for ASD. /shot

but fo srs, I'm pretty pumped. My mom's brother is picking me up at the airport (he works for an airline) when my 10 AM flight gets in, and dropping me off at ze hotel on Friday...which means I will have all of Friday and some of Sunday (like, Sunday morning) to gallivant across the city.

ETA: when I put my deposit down, I decided that I'll be doing the summer con law program =D

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby Opie » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:34 pm

vpintz wrote:We we we so exciiiiited for ASD. /shot

but fo srs, I'm pretty pumped. My mom's brother is picking me up at the airport (he works for an airline) when my 10 AM flight gets in, and dropping me off at ze hotel on Friday...which means I will have all of Friday and some of Sunday (like, Sunday morning) to gallivant across the city.

ETA: when I put my deposit down, I decided that I'll be doing the summer con law program =D

I want to do that! I think my wife is nixing it though. Wants the summer with me.

User avatar
shredderrrrrr
Posts: 4673
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:36 am

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby shredderrrrrr » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:41 pm

Stoked for ASD!

What is the dress code for the day? I'm trying to figure out what both me and my gf should wear. And is a dress too formal for her at the banquet?

Unfortunately I can't do the summer con law class. Considering I will be in France though, I think I can live with that :lol:

Did you go to the Iowa ASW Opie?

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby Opie » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:52 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:Stoked for ASD!

What is the dress code for the day? I'm trying to figure out what both me and my gf should wear. And is a dress too formal for her at the banquet?

Unfortunately I can't do the summer con law class. Considering I will be in France though, I think I can live with that :lol:

Did you go to the Iowa ASW Opie?


The dress Code for some of the day time events is business casual and for others it is casual to business casual. I'll probably go business casual.

A dress is definitely not too formal nthe dress vide is listed as formal for the banquet, so a dress would be on target. At the bottom of this page there is a photo that was taken at the banquet previously. The woman in the photo was receiving an award, so she might be on the dressier end of the spectrum, but Dean Vestal is in a pretty dark suit too and he's a light colored suit kind of guy. http://www.drake.edu/magazine/?p=1575

I didn't go to the Iowa ASD. I had some stuff up in the air and I've been a few times before.

Where in France will you be? I love France!

User avatar
shredderrrrrr
Posts: 4673
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:36 am

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby shredderrrrrr » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:58 pm

Opie wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:Stoked for ASD!

What is the dress code for the day? I'm trying to figure out what both me and my gf should wear. And is a dress too formal for her at the banquet?

Unfortunately I can't do the summer con law class. Considering I will be in France though, I think I can live with that :lol:

Did you go to the Iowa ASW Opie?


The dress Code for some of the day time events is business casual and for others it is casual to business casual. I'll probably go business casual.

A dress is definitely not too formal nthe dress vide is listed as formal for the banquet, so a dress would be on target. At the bottom of this page there is a photo that was taken at the banquet previously. The woman in the photo was receiving an award, so she might be on the dressier end of the spectrum, but Dean Vestal is in a pretty dark suit too and he's a light colored suit kind of guy. http://www.drake.edu/magazine/?p=1575

I didn't go to the Iowa ASD. I had some stuff up in the air and I've been a few times before.

Where in France will you be? I love France!


Thanks for the link! I initially forgot to look at the bottom of the page and thought "Man, they're having the banquet in a classroom?"

Another dumb question, but what exactly falls under business casual for men? Are shorts ever acceptable (say, with a button-up?) or is it generally just pants? I am new to all of this stuff and don't want to look like a moron.

Our general France plan:

Paris (3 nights)
Provence (7 nights)
Alps (3 nights)
Colmar (2 nights)
Sarlat/Dordogne River Valley (2 nights)
San Sebastian, Spain (3 nights)
Collioure (3 nights)
French Riviera (3 nights)
Piedmont, Italy (3 nights)

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby Opie » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:07 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
Opie wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:Stoked for ASD!

What is the dress code for the day? I'm trying to figure out what both me and my gf should wear. And is a dress too formal for her at the banquet?

Unfortunately I can't do the summer con law class. Considering I will be in France though, I think I can live with that :lol:

Did you go to the Iowa ASW Opie?


The dress Code for some of the day time events is business casual and for others it is casual to business casual. I'll probably go business casual.

A dress is definitely not too formal nthe dress vide is listed as formal for the banquet, so a dress would be on target. At the bottom of this page there is a photo that was taken at the banquet previously. The woman in the photo was receiving an award, so she might be on the dressier end of the spectrum, but Dean Vestal is in a pretty dark suit too and he's a light colored suit kind of guy. http://www.drake.edu/magazine/?p=1575

I didn't go to the Iowa ASD. I had some stuff up in the air and I've been a few times before.

Where in France will you be? I love France!


Thanks for the link! I initially forgot to look at the bottom of the page and thought "Man, they're having the banquet in a classroom?"

Another dumb question, but what exactly falls under business casual for men? Are shorts ever acceptable (say, with a button-up?) or is it generally just pants? I am new to all of this stuff and don't want to look like a moron.

Our general France plan:

Paris (3 nights)
Provence (7 nights)
Alps (3 nights)
Colmar (2 nights)
Sarlat/Dordogne River Valley (2 nights)
San Sebastian, Spain (3 nights)
Collioure (3 nights)
French Riviera (3 nights)
Piedmont, Italy (3 nights)


Regarding business casual: Bridges and Curtis in their immortal classic A Gentleman Gets Dressed Up say it is "a sport coat; tie is optional". That was originally written in 1950, and things have changed a little since then, but shorts are not a good idea. Save those only for casual. I would say that jeans or athletic shoes aren't even acceptable for business casual. I usually go with slacks and a button up, with a sport coat if I want to dress it up. Maybe one of my most casual ties (I have a Polo club tie with horse heads on it that is good for this). When it is hot, I might substitute a polo shirt for the button up; sweater for when it is cold.

TRUE business casual though would would be a button up shirt with a less formal tie, slacks, and complimentary but not necessarily matched sport coat or blazer. Loafers or lace ups are appropriate.

Real Business Causal:
Image
Image
Image
Image

What people get away with these days:
Image
Image
Image

Regarding France:
That is so awesome!! You'll be dying to go back in no time. A week is barely enough time in Paris for museums. Three days will leave you pressed for time to even tour the Louvre! Any specific plans?

User avatar
vpintz
Posts: 1408
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:51 am

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby vpintz » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:02 pm

shrederrr, I am twenty shades of jealous. I wanna go to France ;_;

Also, if it helps any, for the more casual stuff, I'll be wearing an olive green sequin tank top, black cropped jeans (in my defense, they look like nice pants) and probably boots.

llachans
Posts: 597
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:54 pm

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby llachans » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:21 pm

shrederrr, i feel you on the fashion! i have no idea what defines the various types of clothing either (although for women's clothing obviously). i wear vests, button downs, and sweater vests as casual wear with skinny jeans so it's going to be weird raiding my closet for more appropriate options.

User avatar
shredderrrrrr
Posts: 4673
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:36 am

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby shredderrrrrr » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:02 pm

Thanks for all the tips! I'll see what I can throw together.

Why don't we all just change it up and wear gym shorts and a t-shirt?!

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby Opie » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:05 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:Thanks for all the tips! I'll see what I can throw together.

Why don't we all just change it up and wear gym shorts and a t-shirt?!

Because I'd have to go buy some. ;) it sucks being old.

User avatar
shredderrrrrr
Posts: 4673
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:36 am

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby shredderrrrrr » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:35 am

Opie wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:Thanks for all the tips! I'll see what I can throw together.

Why don't we all just change it up and wear gym shorts and a t-shirt?!

Because I'd have to go buy some. ;) it sucks being old.


Well surely you have one of these for the banquet, right?

Image

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby Opie » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:26 am

shredderrrrrr wrote:
Opie wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:Thanks for all the tips! I'll see what I can throw together.

Why don't we all just change it up and wear gym shorts and a t-shirt?!

Because I'd have to go buy some. ;) it sucks being old.


Well surely you have one of these for the banquet, right?

Image

God I wish. I used to have a red orange suit that I wore for Mardi Gras, but I grew out of it.

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby Opie » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:41 pm

For those who may be in the Des Moines area for a while, Pollack's Mural will be at the Art Center starting April 5.

Also, my new tie is on the FedEx truck. Whoop!

User avatar
shredderrrrrr
Posts: 4673
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:36 am

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby shredderrrrrr » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:19 pm

Opie wrote:For those who may be in the Des Moines area for a while, Pollack's Mural will be at the Art Center starting April 5.

Also, my new tie is on the FedEx truck. Whoop!


We used to have that bad boy in Iowa City pre-flood! I used to go to the art museum all the time. It was a shame...it was a free museum (with fabulous art) but was ALWAYS empty. It was cool because they had 4 comfortable chairs in front of the painting and you could just stare at it for a while and take it in. Pretty sweet.

The funny thing is that we (University of Iowa) had that painting sitting in an attic for about 20 years, unaware of its significance.

User avatar
DocHawkeye
Posts: 640
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:22 am

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby DocHawkeye » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:31 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
Opie wrote:For those who may be in the Des Moines area for a while, Pollack's Mural will be at the Art Center starting April 5.

Also, my new tie is on the FedEx truck. Whoop!


We used to have that bad boy in Iowa City pre-flood! I used to go to the art museum all the time. It was a shame...it was a free museum (with fabulous art) but was ALWAYS empty. It was cool because they had 4 comfortable chairs in front of the painting and you could just stare at it for a while and take it in. Pretty sweet.

The funny thing is that we (University of Iowa) had that painting sitting in an attic for about 20 years, unaware of its significance.


I was always a fan of the University of Iowa Museum of Art and used to go hang out there when I was a grad student. The Pollack paled in comparison to a painting that used to hang to its left by Marc Rothko.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”