Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby Opie » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:38 pm

vpintz wrote:
Opie wrote:Of course!

This LGBT (and straight friendly) coffee shop has live music Friday night: http://www.ritualcafedsmiowa.com/

Here's the band's website:
http://www.gatehousesaints.com/

Fantastic. Will be bookmarking for future reference =D


That's a cool place. Great vegetarian food in addition to good coffee. That band is there the Friday of ASW, but they have live music frequently.

llachans
Posts: 597
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:54 pm

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby llachans » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:14 pm

Opie wrote:Stips are stips, and they suck, but it can be done. Everything I've heard from Drake students is that it's not incredibly hard to keep the scholarships.

Regarding GPA: Most people in most law schools get all Bs. An A in a class means you did something truly exceptional compared to the other students.

That's good to hear that it's easy enough to maintain scholarships. I've actually never heard that about As and Bs. I'm so used to seeing top __ % that I've rarely seen it converted to letter grades. So thanks for that info!

Opie wrote:This LGBT (and straight friendly) coffee shop has live music Friday night: http://www.ritualcafedsmiowa.com/

Here's the band's website:
http://www.gatehousesaints.com/

I definitely plan on checking this out. I'm always down for a coffee shop with live music, LGBT or not.

User avatar
shredderrrrrr
Posts: 4673
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:36 am

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby shredderrrrrr » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:06 am

Opie wrote:
vpintz wrote:
Opie wrote:
vpintz wrote:Just made my hotel reservation for ASW! <3


Yay! Still looking for something to do that night for everyone if people want to do things. What are people interested in? I know vpintz isn't legal to drink and Shredderrrr doesn't like to, so I'm thinking it will be a straight edge evening, which is fine by me.

<3 thank you for remembering! I always feel so left out from the big kid's table. :[ but you know I'm in for TLS meetup madness, so.


Of course!

This LGBT (and straight friendly) coffee shop has live music Friday night: http://www.ritualcafedsmiowa.com/

Here's the band's website:
http://www.gatehousesaints.com/


Nice! Don't know yet if I'll be in town Friday night or not, but I'm up for anything. My girlfriend will be with me so hopefully no one minds if she joins any activities. Since I'm miserably socially awkward and she is the most personable person ever, I tend to like having her when I meet new people lol. It makes me seem better by proxy.

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby Opie » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:18 am

shredderrrrrr wrote:
Opie wrote:
Of course!

This LGBT (and straight friendly) coffee shop has live music Friday night: http://www.ritualcafedsmiowa.com/

Here's the band's website:
http://www.gatehousesaints.com/


Nice! Don't know yet if I'll be in town Friday night or not, but I'm up for anything. My girlfriend will be with me so hopefully no one minds if she joins any activities. Since I'm miserably socially awkward and she is the most personable person ever, I tend to like having her when I meet new people lol. It makes me seem better by proxy.

We'd love to meet her! My wife will probably be with us too. Which leads me to this question: ladies, what are you wearing to the banquet? She's having trouble deciding.

User avatar
vpintz
Posts: 1408
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:51 am

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby vpintz » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:47 am

Opie wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:
Opie wrote:
Of course!

This LGBT (and straight friendly) coffee shop has live music Friday night: http://www.ritualcafedsmiowa.com/

Here's the band's website:
http://www.gatehousesaints.com/


Nice! Don't know yet if I'll be in town Friday night or not, but I'm up for anything. My girlfriend will be with me so hopefully no one minds if she joins any activities. Since I'm miserably socially awkward and she is the most personable person ever, I tend to like having her when I meet new people lol. It makes me seem better by proxy.

We'd love to meet her! My wife will probably be with us too. Which leads me to this question: ladies, what are you wearing to the banquet? She's having trouble deciding.

I'll be wearing a black pencil skirt, sequined tank top (under a cream lace blazer), and plain black heels. Nothing too flashy, but it's still "my style" so I don't feel like I'm ~not me for the night. Best part? Because the sequined tank can be dressed up or down, I'll be rocking the tank with crop jeans for the other events of the day. /fashion nerd

llachans
Posts: 597
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:54 pm

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby llachans » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:55 am

So, I know I'm super late in the game and am asking questions I should already know the answer to. Drake was a last minute decision and it's becoming one of my top choices. I read the first 15 pages of this thread before my eyes started getting too blurry. I have some questions and hopefully you guys could help answer them or direct me towards helpful information.

I know that it's important to have ties to Iowa when you're coming from a school like Drake. Is 4 years of college in Iowa a good enough tie?

What are the main employment prospects like out of Drake? First and foremost I'm interested in prosecution, but I could see myself also working in family law or anything LGBT/non-profit related.

How strong is the alumni network?

Are there any realistic links showing Drake's employment? I've checked out Law School Transparency but wouldn't mind seeing more info before I make such a huge decision.

Unrelated to the economy, but I've heard that Drake students can be snobby? I have some tattoos and tend to be a little more quirky than a straight-laced suit & tie law student. I take my work/school seriously, but tend to be pretty free-spirited aside from that. Will I have any trouble fitting in with other law students?

I swear the legal market is going to give me an anxiety attack. The more I think about it, the more I'm annoyed that I'm not interested in business or medicine. Of course law is the thing that intrigues me most!!!

User avatar
vpintz
Posts: 1408
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:51 am

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby vpintz » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:02 am

llachans wrote:I know that it's important to have ties to Iowa when you're coming from a school like Drake. Is 4 years of college in Iowa a good enough tie?


I'm torn on my response to this. I have mixed ties to Iowa...was born in Des Moines, most of my family lives there, Dad went to Drake for UG, Mom worked at Drake Law Admissions, etc....but since my parents and I moved to Pennsylvania when I was 8, my Iowa ties have (understandably) lessened...as you know, I got in, so I honestly don't know what to tell you on this one.

llachans wrote:Unrelated to the economy, but I've heard that Drake students can be snobby? I have some tattoos and tend to be a little more quirky than a straight-laced suit & tie law student. I take my work/school seriously, but tend to be pretty free-spirited aside from that. Will I have any trouble fitting in with other law students?

Okay, so I legit laughed. Out loud. A lot. I have 10 piercings (excluding 2 closed), three of which are facial (nostril, septum, lip), and have several tattoos. I have been compared to Lisbeth Salander (from the Millennium Trilogy). Honestly, I don't see it being a problem. Unless you're the type that's all "oh I'm so ~unique and ~edgy" and hipster-ish (which would annoy most people, not just the clean-cut types), I think you'll be fine. (None of this was meant to be offensive or anything, just my thoughts on the matter ^^)

eta: although I've heard that law school/law students themselves tend to be more clique-y, I honestly don't see this being a problem unless you make it a problem. Just be yourself and I don't see you having any problems fitting in. ^^ /sappy

llachans
Posts: 597
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:54 pm

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby llachans » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:13 am

vpintz wrote:
I'm torn on my response to this. I have mixed ties to Iowa...was born in Des Moines, most of my family lives there, Dad went to Drake for UG, Mom worked at Drake Law Admissions, etc....but since my parents and I moved to Pennsylvania when I was 8, my Iowa ties have (understandably) lessened...as you know, I got in, so I honestly don't know what to tell you on this one.

Thanks for the input. I guess it's just something I'll have to weigh. I consider Iowa much more of a home than Chicago, where I lived for 18 years. I just hope employers would actually believe that if I said it.

vpintz wrote:Okay, so I legit laughed. Out loud. A lot. I have 10 piercings (excluding 2 closed), three of which are facial (nostril, septum, lip), and have several tattoos. I have been compared to Lisbeth Salander (from the Millennium Trilogy). Honestly, I don't see it being a problem. Unless you're the type that's all "oh I'm so ~unique and ~edgy" and hipster-ish (which would annoy most people, not just the clean-cut types), I think you'll be fine. (None of this was meant to be offensive or anything, just my thoughts on the matter ^^)

eta: although I've heard that law school/law students themselves tend to be more clique-y, I honestly don't see this being a problem unless you make it a problem. Just be yourself and I don't see you having any problems fitting in. ^^ /sappy


Haha. I'm anything but hipster. I was one of the few in UG that had any tattoos, at least in my classes, and it was never a problem. I went to Iowa (party school all the way) and I'd always heard how "stiff" Drake was in comparison. It was just a concern in the back of my mind. I know networking is a huge deal and I wouldn't want a first impression to screw me over. I know that my employers now were really skeptical because they knew I had tattoos. I've since won them over with my undeniable charm (ha!).

Thanks for your response. I feel much better :D

User avatar
vpintz
Posts: 1408
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:51 am

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby vpintz » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:18 am

llachans wrote:
vpintz wrote:
I'm torn on my response to this. I have mixed ties to Iowa...was born in Des Moines, most of my family lives there, Dad went to Drake for UG, Mom worked at Drake Law Admissions, etc....but since my parents and I moved to Pennsylvania when I was 8, my Iowa ties have (understandably) lessened...as you know, I got in, so I honestly don't know what to tell you on this one.

Thanks for the input. I guess it's just something I'll have to weigh. I consider Iowa much more of a home than Chicago, where I lived for 18 years. I just hope employers would actually believe that if I said it.

Aaah, gotcha. To be honest, you should be fine. The fact that you attended college in Iowa, and have expressed interest in staying in Iowa, should be enough. (fwiw, obviously I can't say for sure if that will be enough, but I honestly think it would be.)

llachans wrote:
vpintz wrote:Okay, so I legit laughed. Out loud. A lot. I have 10 piercings (excluding 2 closed), three of which are facial (nostril, septum, lip), and have several tattoos. I have been compared to Lisbeth Salander (from the Millennium Trilogy). Honestly, I don't see it being a problem. Unless you're the type that's all "oh I'm so ~unique and ~edgy" and hipster-ish (which would annoy most people, not just the clean-cut types), I think you'll be fine. (None of this was meant to be offensive or anything, just my thoughts on the matter ^^)

eta: although I've heard that law school/law students themselves tend to be more clique-y, I honestly don't see this being a problem unless you make it a problem. Just be yourself and I don't see you having any problems fitting in. ^^ /sappy


Haha. I'm anything but hipster. I was one of the few in UG that had any tattoos, at least in my classes, and it was never a problem. I went to Iowa (party school all the way) and I'd always heard how "stiff" Drake was in comparison. It was just a concern in the back of my mind. I know networking is a huge deal and I wouldn't want a first impression to screw me over. I know that my employers now were really skeptical because they knew I had tattoos. I've since won them over with my undeniable charm (ha!).

Thanks for your response. I feel much better :D

Aaaaah, gotcha! That's fair. (My hatred of hipsters is showing.) I'm the same exact way. FWIW, in cases where networking/first impressions are really important, I plan on covering my tats (with long sleeves, because I am lazy) and toning down the piercings (flipping my septum ring up so it doesn't show, clear retainer in my lip piercing, etc.), but that's just me. It might also depend on the setting/context, so. Just my two cents. :3

llachans
Posts: 597
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:54 pm

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby llachans » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:23 am

vpintz wrote:Aaaaah, gotcha! That's fair. (My hatred of hipsters is showing.) I'm the same exact way. FWIW, in cases where networking/first impressions are really important, I plan on covering my tats (with long sleeves, because I am lazy) and toning down the piercings (flipping my septum ring up so it doesn't show, clear retainer in my lip piercing, etc.), but that's just me. It might also depend on the setting/context, so. Just my two cents. :3


haha. i already dug out my retainer for my labret for the ASD I'm going to this week. Gotta love it.

User avatar
vpintz
Posts: 1408
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:51 am

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby vpintz » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:31 am

llachans wrote:
vpintz wrote:Aaaaah, gotcha! That's fair. (My hatred of hipsters is showing.) I'm the same exact way. FWIW, in cases where networking/first impressions are really important, I plan on covering my tats (with long sleeves, because I am lazy) and toning down the piercings (flipping my septum ring up so it doesn't show, clear retainer in my lip piercing, etc.), but that's just me. It might also depend on the setting/context, so. Just my two cents. :3


haha. i already dug out my retainer for my labret for the ASD I'm going to this week. Gotta love it.

Yeah, for ASDs I really don't care as much--because I've already been accepted--and if professors and classmates care THAT MUCH about visible tattoos and piercings, then I have more immediate issues. But for stuff like OCI, I'd definitely keep 'em hidden or retainer-ed away.

llachans
Posts: 597
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:54 pm

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby llachans » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:34 am

vpintz wrote:Yeah, for ASDs I really don't care as much--because I've already been accepted--and if professors and classmates care THAT MUCH about visible tattoos and piercings, then I have more immediate issues. But for stuff like OCI, I'd definitely keep 'em hidden or retainer-ed away.

Agreed. This'll be the first ASD I use a retainer for, but it's because it's supposed to be formal dress and I just feel weird wearing a big lip ring with nice clothing. It's more personal preference than anything. But I think for OCI, it's definitely a necessary precaution.

User avatar
vpintz
Posts: 1408
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:51 am

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby vpintz » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:37 am

llachans wrote:
vpintz wrote:Yeah, for ASDs I really don't care as much--because I've already been accepted--and if professors and classmates care THAT MUCH about visible tattoos and piercings, then I have more immediate issues. But for stuff like OCI, I'd definitely keep 'em hidden or retainer-ed away.

Agreed. This'll be the first ASD I use a retainer for, but it's because it's supposed to be formal dress and I just feel weird wearing a big lip ring with nice clothing. It's more personal preference than anything. But I think for OCI, it's definitely a necessary precaution.

Fair enough! I probably won't be retainer-ing it up for the Drake ASD (which of course is formal for the evening events), but that's more out of sheer laziness...I'll probably end up flipping my septum up, but my lip ring is just a clear crystal, so it's honestly not that noticeable (or so I hope).

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby Opie » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:23 pm

vpintz wrote:
Opie wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:
Opie wrote:
Of course!

This LGBT (and straight friendly) coffee shop has live music Friday night: http://www.ritualcafedsmiowa.com/

Here's the band's website:
http://www.gatehousesaints.com/


Nice! Don't know yet if I'll be in town Friday night or not, but I'm up for anything. My girlfriend will be with me so hopefully no one minds if she joins any activities. Since I'm miserably socially awkward and she is the most personable person ever, I tend to like having her when I meet new people lol. It makes me seem better by proxy.

We'd love to meet her! My wife will probably be with us too. Which leads me to this question: ladies, what are you wearing to the banquet? She's having trouble deciding.

I'll be wearing a black pencil skirt, sequined tank top (under a cream lace blazer), and plain black heels. Nothing too flashy, but it's still "my style" so I don't feel like I'm ~not me for the night. Best part? Because the sequined tank can be dressed up or down, I'll be rocking the tank with crop jeans for the other events of the day. /fashion nerd


Thanks for the ideas!


Re: ties, I think ties to Iowa are somewhat important, but even more important is not having ties to Chicago. I think Chicago ties are going to seriously limit you here because employers will assume you're dying to get back to Illinois (because most people from Chicago are apparently).

ETA: Hawklaw withdrew from Drake yesterday! ~fingers crossed for Opperman scholarship~ That would make my full-tuition at Iowa vs almost full at Drake decision A LOT easier!

User avatar
vpintz
Posts: 1408
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:51 am

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby vpintz » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:15 pm

Opie wrote:Thanks for the ideas!


Re: ties, I think ties to Iowa are somewhat important, but even more important is not having ties to Chicago. I think Chicago ties are going to seriously limit you here because employers will assume you're dying to get back to Illinois (because most people from Chicago are apparently).

ETA: Hawklaw withdrew from Drake yesterday! ~fingers crossed for Opperman scholarship~ That would make my full-tuition at Iowa vs almost full at Drake decision A LOT easier!

No prob! And that makes sense (the ties bit).

Also, yay! =DD

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby Opie » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:28 pm

vpintz wrote:
Opie wrote:Thanks for the ideas!


Re: ties, I think ties to Iowa are somewhat important, but even more important is not having ties to Chicago. I think Chicago ties are going to seriously limit you here because employers will assume you're dying to get back to Illinois (because most people from Chicago are apparently).

ETA: Hawklaw withdrew from Drake yesterday! ~fingers crossed for Opperman scholarship~ That would make my full-tuition at Iowa vs almost full at Drake decision A LOT easier!

No prob! And that makes sense (the ties bit).

Also, yay! =DD


Maybe I'll get in to William and Mary by then. That plus a full at Iowa and 25% at UIUC should be enough leverage, but really I think it's just who has the best index.

User avatar
shredderrrrrr
Posts: 4673
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:36 am

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby shredderrrrrr » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:13 pm

Opie wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:
Opie wrote:
Of course!

This LGBT (and straight friendly) coffee shop has live music Friday night: http://www.ritualcafedsmiowa.com/

Here's the band's website:
http://www.gatehousesaints.com/


Nice! Don't know yet if I'll be in town Friday night or not, but I'm up for anything. My girlfriend will be with me so hopefully no one minds if she joins any activities. Since I'm miserably socially awkward and she is the most personable person ever, I tend to like having her when I meet new people lol. It makes me seem better by proxy.

We'd love to meet her! My wife will probably be with us too. Which leads me to this question: ladies, what are you wearing to the banquet? She's having trouble deciding.


She has no idea. Do you guys know how formal it is? What are you wearing Opie? Is it like black-tie formal?

User avatar
DocHawkeye
Posts: 640
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:22 am

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby DocHawkeye » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:39 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
Opie wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:
Opie wrote:
Of course!

This LGBT (and straight friendly) coffee shop has live music Friday night: http://www.ritualcafedsmiowa.com/

Here's the band's website:
http://www.gatehousesaints.com/


Nice! Don't know yet if I'll be in town Friday night or not, but I'm up for anything. My girlfriend will be with me so hopefully no one minds if she joins any activities. Since I'm miserably socially awkward and she is the most personable person ever, I tend to like having her when I meet new people lol. It makes me seem better by proxy.

We'd love to meet her! My wife will probably be with us too. Which leads me to this question: ladies, what are you wearing to the banquet? She's having trouble deciding.


She has no idea. Do you guys know how formal it is? What are you wearing Opie? Is it like black-tie formal?


The dress code for men at the banquet is business attire, so suit up.

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby Opie » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:19 pm

Usually formal for men means a suit as the Doc says. If they wanted a tux it would say Dinner Attire, Cocktail Attire, or Black Tie.

User avatar
vpintz
Posts: 1408
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:51 am

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby vpintz » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:21 pm

Opie wrote:Usually formal for men means a suit as the Doc says. If they wanted a tux it would say Dinner Attire, Cocktail Attire, or Black Tie.

I'm sure this has been said before, but I feel like the casual/business casual/business/formal/etc distinctions are so much easier to understand for men's clothes. >.<

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby Opie » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:29 pm

vpintz wrote:
Opie wrote:Usually formal for men means a suit as the Doc says. If they wanted a tux it would say Dinner Attire, Cocktail Attire, or Black Tie.

I'm sure this has been said before, but I feel like the casual/business casual/business/formal/etc distinctions are so much easier to understand for men's clothes. >.<


Everyone thinks that. I even have books that go over the distinctions in great detail. I recommend A Gentleman Gets Dressed Up, which has been reprinted in hardcover leatherette by Brooks Brothers.

It is, however, more expensive to buy decent men's clothing and shoes. Most good suits are at least $800 and good shoes are $300. That would be much nicer on the spectrum for women's clothing. Our stuff also lasts a lot longer though. We win overall.

User avatar
vpintz
Posts: 1408
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:51 am

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby vpintz » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:33 pm

Opie wrote:
vpintz wrote:
Opie wrote:Usually formal for men means a suit as the Doc says. If they wanted a tux it would say Dinner Attire, Cocktail Attire, or Black Tie.

I'm sure this has been said before, but I feel like the casual/business casual/business/formal/etc distinctions are so much easier to understand for men's clothes. >.<


Everyone thinks that. I even have books that go over the distinctions in great detail. I recommend A Gentleman Gets Dressed Up, which has been reprinted in hardcover leatherette by Brooks Brothers.

It is, however, more expensive to buy decent men's clothing and shoes. Most good suits are at least $800 and good shoes are $300. That would be much nicer on the spectrum for women's clothing. Our stuff also lasts a lot longer though. We win overall.

Yeah, like...my clothes for ASD cost around $100, maybe a bit less...but a lot of it will probably fall apart in two months, so.

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby Opie » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:00 pm

vpintz wrote:
Opie wrote:
vpintz wrote:
Opie wrote:Usually formal for men means a suit as the Doc says. If they wanted a tux it would say Dinner Attire, Cocktail Attire, or Black Tie.

I'm sure this has been said before, but I feel like the casual/business casual/business/formal/etc distinctions are so much easier to understand for men's clothes. >.<


Everyone thinks that. I even have books that go over the distinctions in great detail. I recommend A Gentleman Gets Dressed Up, which has been reprinted in hardcover leatherette by Brooks Brothers.

It is, however, more expensive to buy decent men's clothing and shoes. Most good suits are at least $800 and good shoes are $300. That would be much nicer on the spectrum for women's clothing. Our stuff also lasts a lot longer though. We win overall.

Yeah, like...my clothes for ASD cost around $100, maybe a bit less...but a lot of it will probably fall apart in two months, so.

Exactly! The suit I'm wearing would have been $800 regular price (I paid 500), plus $50 tie, $300 shoes ($150 on sale!), $50 shirt, and decent dress socks are about $10 a pair. Plus undergarments (which cost about $10 for Jockey). $1220 for something that doesn't stand out much. Oh! Belt! That's another $80 (it's AE, and I love it).

My son could inherit that suit though if it is well cared for.

User avatar
shredderrrrrr
Posts: 4673
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:36 am

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby shredderrrrrr » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:24 pm

Well shit. As I've mentioned before, I only have a black suit (bought it before I knew any of these rules). Will it look ridiculous wearing that? I surely don't have any money, let alone $500+, to go spend on a new suit. If I dress it down with like a different colored shirt or colorful tie, would that look ok?

Damn I want a job so I can just buy the clothes I want and/or need.

User avatar
DocHawkeye
Posts: 640
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:22 am

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby DocHawkeye » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:10 am

shredderrrrrr wrote:Well shit. As I've mentioned before, I only have a black suit (bought it before I knew any of these rules). Will it look ridiculous wearing that? I surely don't have any money, let alone $500+, to go spend on a new suit. If I dress it down with like a different colored shirt or colorful tie, would that look ok?

Damn I want a job so I can just buy the clothes I want and/or need.


Since the even it in the evening, a black suit should be fine (I'm sure you won't be the only one in one) but black suits are never really acceptable for daytime wear so after you start law schoo, I advise you invest in a good suit or two (look for sales at Men's Warhouse or the like, you can often get a second suit for $100). Wear a white shirt and a brigtly colored tie and you will be fine.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”