Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Opie

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby Opie » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:33 pm

Most of Iowa is very LGBTQ friendly. We took some flack after the justices got voted out, but really that was a targeted smear campaign that used uninformed people from rural areas to accomplish its goal. Before the rural votes came in, the result was very slanted in the other direction from people in Des Moines, Iowa City, and other more urban areas.

Even in the country, people are fairly open-minded. A lot of the attacks were framed in more of a "don't let judges take over what the legislature does, they're being activist, etc." sort of way than a "don't let gay people get married" sort of way. The other side was very well organized and very passionate about their hate agenda. Our side was a few passionate people and a vast majority that either had no opinion, or sided with us but wasn't passionate enough to go vote, etc.

Just an FYI, Drake has stips too, but they're slightly different from Iowa's. Of course, you'll probably have a bigger award at Drake. Drake is more expensive though. Frankly it boils down to where you want to practice. Drake has the Des Moines market cornered.

llachans

Postby llachans » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:40 pm

Opie wrote:Most of Iowa is very LGBTQ friendly. We took some flack after the justices got voted out, but really that was a targeted smear campaign that used uninformed people from rural areas to accomplish its goal. Before the rural votes came in, the result was very slanted in the other direction from people in Des Moines, Iowa City, and other more urban areas.

Even in the country, people are fairly open-minded. A lot of the attacks were framed in more of a "don't let judges take over what the legislature does, they're being activist, etc." sort of way than a "don't let gay people get married" sort of way. The other side was very well organized and very passionate about their hate agenda. Our side was a few passionate people and a vast majority that either had no opinion, or sided with us but wasn't passionate enough to go vote, etc.

This couldn't be more accurate. I did a lot of work with One Iowa (if you've heard of them) and one of our main goals was to keep the justices in office. A lot of the voters we talked to bought into the smear campaign. I also noticed how vast the divide between rural and non-rural voters was.

Opie wrote:Just an FYI, Drake has stips too, but they're slightly different from Iowa's. Of course, you'll probably have a bigger award at Drake. Drake is more expensive though. Frankly it boils down to where you want to practice. Drake has the Des Moines market cornered.

Thanks for the heads up! I guess I'll wait until all of my options are in to figure it out.

Opie

Postby Opie » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:43 pm

llachans wrote:This couldn't be more accurate. I did a lot of work with One Iowa (if you've heard of them) and one of our main goals was to keep the justices in office. A lot of the voters we talked to bought into the smear campaign. I also noticed how vast the divide between rural and non-rural voters was.

I have heard of them, but haven't been involved with them. If you watched the election results come in (which I'm sure you did), you could even see that when they asked Branstad about it he wasn't pleased. He said nothing about it being the right choice or anything, just that "apparently the voters thought they had overstepped their boundaries."

I try not to blame the people that voted for it. They probably have no idea what the whole issue was about. Anyone who knows anything about the law knows that there was no other way for the justices to rule, that's why it was unanimous.

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:44 pm

Opie wrote:
llachans wrote:This couldn't be more accurate. I did a lot of work with One Iowa (if you've heard of them) and one of our main goals was to keep the justices in office. A lot of the voters we talked to bought into the smear campaign. I also noticed how vast the divide between rural and non-rural voters was.

I have heard of them, but haven't been involved with them. If you watched the election results come in (which I'm sure you did), you could even see that when they asked Branstad about it he wasn't pleased. He said nothing about it being the right choice or anything, just that "apparently the voters thought they had overstepped their boundaries."

I try not to blame the people that voted for it. They probably have no idea what the whole issue was about. Anyone who knows anything about the law knows that there was no other way for the justices to rule, that's why it was unanimous.

I have nothing productive to add, other than Fuck Branstad. God, he's such an asshole.

Opie

Postby Opie » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:47 pm

vpintz wrote:
Opie wrote:

I have nothing productive to add, other than Fuck Branstad. God, he's such an asshole.

Haha.. Well, I'm only referring to the concept that he didn't even agree with the vote. I have other differences with him of course. ;)

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:48 pm

Opie wrote:
vpintz wrote:
Opie wrote:

Haha.. Well, I'm only referring to the concept that he didn't even agree with the vote. I have other differences with him of course. ;)

Yeah no, that wasn't relevant to the above discussion at all. I just really dislike Branstad.

Opie

Postby Opie » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:14 pm

vpintz wrote:Yeah no, that wasn't relevant to the above discussion at all. I just really dislike Branstad.

Haha.. I can dig.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:18 pm

Woah, so much activity!

I'd like to add: The justices getting voted out was the dumbest shit I've ever seen. It's one thing if justices are voted out of office for improperly interpreting the constitution (still don't even like that idea...big fan of judicial independence) but it's an entirely different thing to be voted out because they made an unpopular ruling. I highly doubt that 99% of the people that voted to not retain them read the court case and thought, "Hmmmm...I don't think they properly interpreted the law." They just wanted to kick out justices that made a decision they didn't like, regardless if it it was right or wrong. /rant

The breakfast idea sounds good but I don't know if I'll be in DSM by then. My gf and I will be driving in that morning, most likely doing the afternoon activities, and then doing the banquet. We will then spend the Saturday night (instead of Friday) so we can check out apartments on Sunday.

Also, glad to see you can make it vpintz!

Opie

Postby Opie » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:52 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:Woah, so much activity!

I'd like to add: The justices getting voted out was the dumbest shit I've ever seen. It's one thing if justices are voted out of office for improperly interpreting the constitution (still don't even like that idea...big fan of judicial independence) but it's an entirely different thing to be voted out because they made an unpopular ruling. I highly doubt that 99% of the people that voted to not retain them read the court case and thought, "Hmmmm...I don't think they properly interpreted the law." They just wanted to kick out justices that made a decision they didn't like, regardless if it it was right or wrong. /rant

The breakfast idea sounds good but I don't know if I'll be in DSM by then. My gf and I will be driving in that morning, most likely doing the afternoon activities, and then doing the banquet. We will then spend the Saturday night (instead of Friday) so we can check out apartments on Sunday.

Also, glad to see you can make it vpintz!

If you're not in by then we can definitely meet up again. Or maybe hit the coffee shop in Sherman Hill or have lunch on Saturday or something. Plenty of time for all.

Opie

Postby Opie » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:54 pm

@vpintz, just realized that since I got a job today (yay!) I may not be able to do a mid-morning Friday ride from the airport. Full disclosure in advance.

I'll help you out if I can though!

Opie

Postby Opie » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:14 pm

So, who's excited for Summer Con Law?

I love that the course offering has some application for what I want to do.

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:21 pm

Opie wrote:@vpintz, just realized that since I got a job today (yay!) I may not be able to do a mid-morning Friday ride from the airport. Full disclosure in advance.

It's all good! I have an uncle who works at the airport, so it works out. :] Thanks so much for the offer. And congrats on the jerb!

Opie

Postby Opie » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:38 pm

vpintz wrote:
Opie wrote:@vpintz, just realized that since I got a job today (yay!) I may not be able to do a mid-morning Friday ride from the airport. Full disclosure in advance.

It's all good! I have an uncle who works at the airport, so it works out. :] Thanks so much for the offer. And congrats on the jerb!

Thanks! I'm excited! I start in the morning.

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:48 pm

Opie wrote:
vpintz wrote:

Thanks! I'm excited! I start in the morning.

Ooooh, yay! Good luck on yr first day =D

Opie

Postby Opie » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:18 pm

New job is going well. Met a cool girl who is also a stand up comic. She has a show on March 30th in town. Anyone game?

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:21 pm

Opie wrote:New job is going well. Met a cool girl who is also a stand up comic. She has a show on March 30th in town. Anyone game?

When, where, and how much?

Opie

Postby Opie » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:23 pm

vpintz wrote:
Opie wrote:New job is going well. Met a cool girl who is also a stand up comic. She has a show on March 30th in town. Anyone game?

When, where, and how much?

At night, Vaudeville Mews (I think), and I have no idea.

Opie

Postby Opie » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:33 pm

http://www.vaudevillemews.com/index.php?p=home&sId=1911

$3, 21 and up (if that matters for anyone)

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:50 pm

Opie wrote:http://www.vaudevillemews.com/index.php?p=home&sId=1911

;_; I can't go thennnnnn

Opie

Postby Opie » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:48 pm

vpintz wrote:

;_; I can't go thennnnnn

Sad! I was worried you might be a youngin. We'll find something to do.

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:49 pm

Opie wrote:
vpintz wrote:

;_; I can't go thennnnnn

Sad! I was worried you might be a youngin. We'll find something to do.

Yeah, I don't turn 21 until August 12th. Sad panda.

checkster

Postby checkster » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:01 pm

In time for school though, you're fine.

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:03 pm

checkster wrote:In time for school though, you're fine.

True, but it's still annoying.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:32 pm

Woah, you're only 20 vpintz? Did you like skip a year? All the seniors I know (myself included) are 22 with a few old 21 year olds.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:34 pm

If anyone was wondering, I emailed Drake and they are very firm about not altering scholarships. From their response, it sounds like there is no wiggle-room whatsoever across the board.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”