Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
vpintz

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby vpintz » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:06 pm

Opie wrote:
vpintz wrote:
Opie wrote:
Haha!! Well-played. If I were still working, I'd buy you a plane ticket, but I'm pretty much broke too. I did get a possible jerb today though, and I'm about to leave for another interview!

It's all good. I'm gonna see if I can badger admissions into fronting the bill. :3 (also, congrats and good luck!)

Thanks! It's not too bad either. Working semi-back office stuff for the bankruptcy department at a mortgagee. Makes a little more than what I was making before too.

Niiiice, sounds like a good deal! =D

Opie

Postby Opie » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:02 pm

vpintz wrote:
Opie wrote:
vpintz wrote:
Opie wrote:
Haha!! Well-played. If I were still working, I'd buy you a plane ticket, but I'm pretty much broke too. I did get a possible jerb today though, and I'm about to leave for another interview!

It's all good. I'm gonna see if I can badger admissions into fronting the bill. :3 (also, congrats and good luck!)

Thanks! It's not too bad either. Working semi-back office stuff for the bankruptcy department at a mortgagee. Makes a little more than what I was making before too.

Niiiice, sounds like a good deal! =D

Yeah, doesn't seem too bad. I also interviewed for a payroll clerk job at the corporate office of a local grocery chain. It's such a small office that the president sits right next to the reception desk and there's a fridge of beer there. It's a pretty well-known chain around here though (2 gas stations and 13 grocery stores), so it might be good networking.

Opie

Postby Opie » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:52 pm

Anyone else get an alumni letter today?

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:58 pm

Opie wrote:Anyone else get an alumni letter today?

Snail mail? I might have, but all my lawl school stuff gets sent to my home address, which obviously I can't check frequently :c

Opie

Postby Opie » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:48 am

vpintz wrote:
Opie wrote:Anyone else get an alumni letter today?

Snail mail? I might have, but all my lawl school stuff gets sent to my home address, which obviously I can't check frequently :c

No, it was attached to an email. The guy is pretty successful though and offers his phone number for questions, so I doubt it went o everyone. I think admissions assigns students and alumni different prospects and they email when they get a chance.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:41 am

This Drake diner place you speak of Opie...is it good? I love me some diner food!!

Opie

Postby Opie » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:42 am

shredderrrrrr wrote:This Drake diner place you speak of Opie...is it good? I love me some diner food!!

It's pretty decent. Plus it's HUGE. Full counter, boothes, tables, enclosed porch type area outside. They also have a bar and are open late. It's walking distance from Drake too. It would be a ways from the law school, but it's in the neighborhood at least. There is better Diner food about a mile West at the Waveland Cafe. That's where C-SPAN and CNN set up for caucuses, and it's AMAZING. It's always packed though.

Opie

Postby Opie » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:51 am

Side note, just got an email about law review. Sounds like a pretty decent publication. I wish there were more journals at Drake though. I'm not that interested in the Ag Law journal and obviously law review isn't exactly easy to get. That's one of the pros of Iowa over Drake.

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:56 am

Opie wrote:Side note, just got an email about law review. Sounds like a pretty decent publication. I wish there were more journals at Drake though. I'm not that interested in the Ag Law journal and obviously law review isn't exactly easy to get. That's one of the pros of Iowa over Drake.

Seconding the wish for more journals. Semi related: one downside (for me) for Drake is the fact that they don't really emphasize PI law/related stuff. I mean, I understand why, but still. (My life/interests are all PI all the time, so.)

Also: dammit, first choice, give me an answer so I know where I'll be going this fall! Not knowing is killing me.

Opie

Postby Opie » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:07 pm

vpintz wrote:
Opie wrote:Side note, just got an email about law review. Sounds like a pretty decent publication. I wish there were more journals at Drake though. I'm not that interested in the Ag Law journal and obviously law review isn't exactly easy to get. That's one of the pros of Iowa over Drake.

Seconding the wish for more journals. Semi related: one downside (for me) for Drake is the fact that they don't really emphasize PI law/related stuff. I mean, I understand why, but still. (My life/interests are all PI all the time, so.)

Also: dammit, first choice, give me an answer so I know where I'll be going this fall! Not knowing is killing me.

What kind of PI are you looking for? There's a little bit of this at Drake from what I can tell, but it isn't publicized much and it's not a focus of the school. Trial advocacy and Con Law (which can translate to PI) are really the focus.

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:09 pm

Opie wrote:
vpintz wrote:

What kind of PI are you looking for? There's a little bit of this at Drake from what I can tell, but it isn't publicized much and it's not a focus of the school. Trial advocacy and Con Law (which can translate to PI) are really the focus.

Con law and LGBTQ-specific legal issues are pretty much ~my thing. Which is why Drake's con law program looks amazeballs and do want. I get why con law is emphasized, and other parts of PI might not be, and it's not a HUGE concern for me, because I do love me some con law, but still.

Opie

Postby Opie » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:16 pm

vpintz wrote:Con law and LGBTQ-specific legal issues are pretty much ~my thing. Which is why Drake's con law program looks amazeballs and do want. I get why con law is emphasized, and other parts of PI might not be, and it's not a HUGE concern for me, because I do love me some con law, but still.

There isn't a ton going on officially at Drake for LGBTQ, but there is a thriving community. Two official clubs even that are specific to the law school. There's also a rights center downtown and a coffee shop that is a hot spot that I will show you some time. Also, the Iowa Civil Rights Commission takes interns from Drake regularly and, you know, Iowa is kind of the battleground for such things. :wink:

This is one of my passions as well, which strikes people as odd since I'm a thirty-year-old white male who is straight, married, and has two kids. I apparently don't fit the mold. I hope to one day do mostly workplace discrimination litigation and that sort of thing (primarily centered around LGBTQ status, family responsibilities, and disabilities). Maybe someday we'll be in practice together!

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:19 pm

Opie wrote:
vpintz wrote:Con law and LGBTQ-specific legal issues are pretty much ~my thing. Which is why Drake's con law program looks amazeballs and do want. I get why con law is emphasized, and other parts of PI might not be, and it's not a HUGE concern for me, because I do love me some con law, but still.

There isn't a ton going on officially at Drake for LGBTQ, but there is a thriving community. Two official clubs even that are specific to the law school. There's also a rights center downtown and a coffee shop that is a hot spot that I will show you some time. Also, the Iowa Civil Rights Commission takes interns from Drake regularly and, you know, Iowa is kind of the battleground for such things. :wink:

This is one of my passions as well, which strikes people as odd since I'm a thirty-year-old white male who is straight, married, and has two kids. I apparently don't fit the mold. I hope to one day do mostly workplace discrimination litigation and that sort of thing (primarily centered around LGBTQ status, family responsibilities, and disabilities). Maybe someday we'll be in practice together!

hasjfhdlkhfdkajsfd stop getting me so excited for Drake! do want civil rights stuff. <3 but hey, LGBTQ issues are important for everybody (at least, in my opinion). I approve of all of this...vpintz and Opie take on discrimination issues in Des Moines. And win, obvs.

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:21 pm

Also, I hate to double post lies but every time I poast itt, I miss DSM/WDSM so much. Especially the food. I love me some Happy Joe's and I am not ashamed to admit it.

Opie

Postby Opie » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:32 pm

vpintz wrote:Also, I hate to double post lies but every time I poast itt, I miss DSM/WDSM so much. Especially the food. I love me some Happy Joe's and I am not ashamed to admit it.

YUM!

Des Moines has a fair number of Casey's General Stores now too!!!

The food has only become more amazing. We're like a fashionable new food destination now.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:35 pm

Opie wrote:
vpintz wrote:Also, I hate to double post lies but every time I poast itt, I miss DSM/WDSM so much. Especially the food. I love me some Happy Joe's and I am not ashamed to admit it.

YUM!

Des Moines has a fair number of Casey's General Stores now too!!!

The food has only become more amazing. We're like a fashionable new food destination now.

Casey's is awesome. I love their breakfast pizza.

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:37 pm

...I see what you two are doing. Tempting me with tales of Des Moines's delicious foodstuffs. |:

it may or may not be working

Opie

Postby Opie » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:51 pm

vpintz wrote:...I see what you two are doing. Tempting me with tales of Des Moines's delicious foodstuffs. |:

I hope it's working!

Within walking distance of Drake:
Awesome taco stands!
Mars Cafe
A sushi place
A really good Chinese place
Jimmy John's
Planet Sub
Drake Diner

That's just a start!

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:25 pm

Opie wrote:
vpintz wrote:...I see what you two are doing. Tempting me with tales of Des Moines's delicious foodstuffs. |:

I hope it's working!

Awesome taco stands!
Mars Cafe
A sushi place
Jimmy John's
Planet Sub
Drake Diner

That's just a start!

;_; why do you tempt me like this

Also, emailed Andrew about the possibility of an ASD travel stipend. Wheee~

Opie

Postby Opie » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:17 pm

vpintz wrote:
Opie wrote:

I hope it's working!

Awesome taco stands!
Mars Cafe
A sushi place
Jimmy John's
Planet Sub
Drake Diner

That's just a start!

;_; why do you tempt me like this

Also, emailed Andrew about the possibility of an ASD travel stipend. Wheee~

Let's hope he says yes! Seriously though, one or two successful days of prostitution and you'll have more than enough money to get here. There's really no excuse.

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:23 pm

Opie wrote:
Let's hope he says yes! Seriously though, one or two successful days of prostitution and you'll have more than enough money to get here. There's really no excuse.

they said no :c buuut he also said that there would be another ASD on Friday, April 27th. Unfortunately, I have to be at a rally/protest the next day...le sigh. I'll figure something out. Also, I'll do my best w/r/t prostitution. :wink:

Opie

Postby Opie » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:26 pm

vpintz wrote:
Opie wrote:

they said no :c buuut he also said that there would be another ASD on Friday, April 27th. Unfortunately, I have to be at a rally/protest the next day...le sigh. I'll figure something out. Also, I'll do my best w/r/t prostitution. :wink:

That sucks! Well, hopefully you are able to come soon!

Anyone else get an email from Foxhoven about clinics?

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:22 pm

Opie wrote:
vpintz wrote:
Opie wrote:

That sucks! Hopefully you can still make it.

I get a crap-ton of generic Drake emails but never find myself reading them because I'm already convinced :lol:

Opie

Postby Opie » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:16 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
Opie wrote:
vpintz wrote:
Opie wrote:

That sucks! Hopefully you can still make it.

I get a crap-ton of generic Drake emails but never find myself reading them because I'm already convinced :lol:

Haha!! I do too. I try to read them so I have something to talk about when schmoozing.

Gunner :arrow: :mrgreen:

ETA: DPortIA just withdrew. :(

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:33 pm

I'M GOING TO THE ASD!!!!!!!1111ONEONEONE =DDDDDD

My parents are coming through and paying for my flight as part of my graduation present. YAY! =D

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”