Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
shredderrrrrr

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby shredderrrrrr » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:53 pm

You still gonna make a Drake v. Iowa thread once you hear back about scholarships at Iowa Opie? I'm interested to see it if you do (and I will try not to piggy back on it lol).

Opie

Postby Opie » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:55 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
Opie wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:
Why am I not surprised?

Haha if you can remember, it got a less-than-thrilled response in the Iowa thread (it was right after the drinking debacle).

I guess I do remember that. When you get to be my age there will be people you haven't seen in 15 years you'll want to find. :mrgreen:

At my age, I've got people from 5 years ago that I'drather not find. Lol at some point, I'll get my FB back I'm sure.

I've got those too, for sure.

I went ahead and joined the group. There's nothing on my FB that is too incriminating anyway. Turns out that they are posting some decent info on there.

You still gonna make a Drake v. Iowa thread once you hear back about scholarships at Iowa Opie? I'm interested to see it if you do (and I will try not to piggy back on it lol).

I already did, and it was very much leaning toward Drake. However, it didn't go very well. :mrgreen:

Opie

Postby Opie » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:58 pm

Got a nice two-page, hand signed letter from Dean Vestal today. Pretty standard reiteration of their marketing position, but it was a nice touch.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:28 pm

Opie wrote:Got a nice two-page, hand signed letter from Dean Vestal today. Pretty standard reiteration of their marketing position, but it was a nice touch.

I'd say Drake has done the best of connecting with me. Every school has sent me emails or letters, but Drake has always been the most personal.

It's crazy how a hand-signed card is that much more meaningful (to me at least) then just an email, even if it does say our name.

After my girlfriend and I met with Andrew and Dean Vestal, Andrew sent a hand-written card. That is the stuff I love about Drake. I doubt I would have gotten that with Iowa.

checkster

Postby checkster » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:32 pm

Andrew English really does a good job. He visits my undergrad what seems like every two weeks, remembers people he meets. That being said...been waiting on a Drake decision for a while now. Would be nice to hear something, even if its not high on my list.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:38 pm

I'm surprised by some of the schools that don't place very much emphasis on admissions staff. While student interactions with them don't really mean much in regards to LS, it reflects upon the school when applicants are deciding whether or not to attend.

I remember meeting with a Marquette admissions officer and she completely turned me off from the school. I asked her about 8 different questions and all were answered with a just a yes or no. I asked how Marquette compares to Wisconsin in regards to employment and all she said was, "it's hard to say." She just kept saying how much she hates law school forums (where we met her) and that my girlfriend was an idiot for coming with me. Not exactly a friendly figure lol

checkster

Postby checkster » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:44 pm

^ Good to know, as I was planning on making a visit there soon...

Bradlo722

Postby Bradlo722 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:46 pm

Just got accepted today! With a $17,000 scholly too! I also was accepted to DePaul, Loyola, and Chicago-Kent. I still kinda have my mind set on Chicago but Drake made things a lot more interesting. Does anyone know how the job market outside of Iowa after graduation would look like?

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:53 pm

Bradlo722 wrote:Just got accepted today! With a $17,000 scholly too! I also was accepted to DePaul, Loyola, and Chicago-Kent. I still kinda have my mind set on Chicago but Drake made things a lot more interesting. Does anyone know how the job market outside of Iowa after graduation would look like?

If you want to work outside of Iowa, I wouldn't consider Drake. It does well in the state, but from the sounds of it, that's about it.

Opie

Postby Opie » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:56 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
Bradlo722 wrote:Just got accepted today! With a $17,000 scholly too! I also was accepted to DePaul, Loyola, and Chicago-Kent. I still kinda have my mind set on Chicago but Drake made things a lot more interesting. Does anyone know how the job market outside of Iowa after graduation would look like?

If you want to work outside of Iowa, I wouldn't consider Drake. It does well in the state, but from the sounds of it, that's about it.

This!

I probably wouldn't go to any of those schools if you're set on working in Chicago, but if you're okay with Central IL, you might go to one of them. Drake owns Des Moines, and I think you can do okay in the rest of Iowa, but outside of that it's not great.

ETA: what are your numbers? Where are you looking to practice (or is it just Chicago)?

checkster

Postby checkster » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:02 pm

Do not go to Drake if you have a strong desire for Chicago. Do not go to Drake if you are not ok with staying in Iowa. Do not risk paying sticker price at Drake for 2 years. I don't know your goals, but I wouldn't trek out to Des Moines just because of 17k scholarship that probably has stips.

My 2 cents.

Opie

Postby Opie » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:27 pm

checkster wrote:

Do not go to Drake if you have a strong desire for Chicago. Do not go to Drake if you are not ok with staying in Iowa. Do not risk paying sticker price at Drake for 2 years. I don't know your goals, but I wouldn't trek out to Des Moines just because of 17k scholarship that probably has stips.

My 2 cents.

It definitely has stips. I would not choose Drake over those other schools unless Iowa is your desired market.

Bradlo722

Postby Bradlo722 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:52 am

Opie wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:

This!

I probably wouldn't go to any of those schools if you're set on working in Chicago, but if you're okay with Central IL, you might go to one of them. Drake owns Des Moines, and I think you can do okay in the rest of Iowa, but outside of that it's not great.

ETA: what are your numbers? Where are you looking to practice (or is it just Chicago)?

My numbers were 156/3.75, and I'm not looking for big law firms in Chicago. I'm from North Central IL, the subarabs out towards my hometown is really where I'm looking to settle down someday...................

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:09 pm

Bradlo722 wrote:
Opie wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:

This!

My numbers were 156/3.75, and I'm not looking for big law firms in Chicago. I'm from North Central IL, the subarabs out towards my hometown is really where I'm looking to settle down someday...................

I hate to be the typical TLSer and say retake, but if you haven't taken the max number of times, retake. You have a decent GPA and ties to IL. If you can get a 164, you're looking at money at IL, like 25-50%. If you can hit say 170, you're in at Northwestern. 173 and an ED and you've got a full ride at Northwestern. (*all of this about Northwestern assumes some sort of work experience)

Obviously, I don't know what you've done to prepare, but if you haven't taken EVERY practice test, spent AT LEAST 3 months in intense LSAT study (no studies other than LSAT), and taken the LSAT 3 times, you're selling yourself way short. Northwestern gets a lot of applicants with crappy GPAs because you can't fix a GPA and they're splitter friendly. Get a good LSAT and they will fall all over you.

The 164 and UIUC is not that hard for someone getting a 156 (assuming you haven't done the things outlined above already). The 170 is doable and the 173 will be a challenge, but is doable too.

How much have you prepared for the LSAT? How many times have you taken it? Do you have any substantive post-grad work experience?

Bradlo722

Postby Bradlo722 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:22 pm

I have taken it twice, and both times have emersed myself in LSAT studying before I've taken it. I suck at tests, I started at a 150 and moved up to a 156 and was ecstatic. I dont't have any work experience either. I am still waiting to hear from Loyola and am hoping that I can negotiate a little bit with Chicago-Kent. The agriculture at Drake and the environmental at Kent are both very intriguing and that is why I am so torn at this time. Plus, $51,000 from Drake is tough to turn down. But I don't wanna sacrifice my career aspirations for just $51,000. Does Drake grads do well practicing in IL? Outside of big law firms? Thats what I'm strugling with.

Opie

Postby Opie » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:36 pm

Bradlo722 wrote:I have taken it twice, and both times have emersed myself in LSAT studying before I've taken it. I suck at tests, I started at a 150 and moved up to a 156 and was ecstatic. I dont't have any work experience either. I am still waiting to hear from Loyola and am hoping that I can negotiate a little bit with Chicago-Kent. The agriculture at Drake and the environmental at Kent are both very intriguing and that is why I am so torn at this time. Plus, $51,000 from Drake is tough to turn down. But I don't wanna sacrifice my career aspirations for just $51,000. Does Drake grads do well practicing in IL? Outside of big law firms? Thats what I'm strugling with.

No. Drake does horribly anywhere in IL. Even outside central Iowa, Drake is a bad idea. In Des Moines, it's TCR, but everywhere else, don't go.

Anyone braving the weather for the open house today?

ETA: Just realized that the open house is already in progress. SO, when it finishes, people can tell me if they went.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:48 pm

Opie wrote:
Bradlo722 wrote:I have taken it twice, and both times have emersed myself in LSAT studying before I've taken it. I suck at tests, I started at a 150 and moved up to a 156 and was ecstatic. I dont't have any work experience either. I am still waiting to hear from Loyola and am hoping that I can negotiate a little bit with Chicago-Kent. The agriculture at Drake and the environmental at Kent are both very intriguing and that is why I am so torn at this time. Plus, $51,000 from Drake is tough to turn down. But I don't wanna sacrifice my career aspirations for just $51,000. Does Drake grads do well practicing in IL? Outside of big law firms? Thats what I'm strugling with.

No. Drake does horribly anywhere in IL. Even outside central Iowa, Drake is a bad idea. In Des Moines, it's TCR, but everywhere else, don't go.

ETA: Just realized that the open house is already in progress. SO, when it finishes, people can tell me if they went.

Shit I completely forgot it was today. Oh well, I already love the school .

Opie: Are you gonna try to negotiate the stips to your scholarship? I posted in the choosing a school section as well and all my responses told me to do that.

Opie

Postby Opie » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:56 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
Opie wrote:

I'm not sure if Drake is open to any negotiations. I've never heard of anyone having any success with that.
Shit I completely forgot it was today. Oh well, I already love the school .

Opie: Are you gonna try to negotiate the stips to your scholarship? I posted in the choosing a school section as well and all my responses told me to do that.

Opie

Postby Opie » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:30 pm

I just realized my post didn't come through right.

I will probably try, but I'm not expecting anything. They don't usually play.

Anyone heard anything about summer con law? I've heard all should be revealed in March for basically every question I've asked them.

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:33 pm

Opie wrote:I just realized my post didn't come through right.

Anyone heard anything about summer con law? I've heard all should be revealed in March for basically every question I've asked them.

See if you can find a user named thegetupkid. He's a Drake 1L and I'm pretty sure he took the summer course.

Opie

Postby Opie » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:38 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:

See if you can find a user named thegetupkid. He's a Drake 1L and I'm pretty sure he took the summer course.

Cool, thanks. I realize con law classes aren't the most useful, but what is useful is taking a lighter load during the semester. :mrgreen:

Opie

Postby Opie » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:21 pm

For those not in the FB group, I thought I'd share this gem:
Prospective students are invited to attend the IP Law Center's 5th Anniversary Gala symposium with keynot [sic] address from Chief Judge Randall Rader, United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. The event will be held February 20th from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

Admission will be free of charge for all prospective students. Contact melanie.carlson

You're welcome.

checkster

Postby checkster » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:23 pm

Got the packet today. $19,500 a year, same stips as everyone else. Nice, but still not really competitive considering the school. Will withdraw soon.

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:29 pm

I haven't heard much about it, but if I do end up going to Drake, I'll probably go ahead and do the summer program. I'm a fan of fewer credits per semester.

Opie

Postby Opie » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:46 pm

Is it stupid to go to an IP event if I'm not going to be patent eligible?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”