Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Opie

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby Opie » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:28 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
Opie wrote:It came! Not quite the rockstar Opperman scholarship that Shredderrr got, but it's pretty decent. $30k/year with the same stips that have been mentioned so far.

Now it's time to make serious considerations!

Damn, I really wanted you to get an Opperman as well. That's still a nice scholarship though. Congrats! I can't remember the tuition prices, but that's got to be pretty close to full, isn't it?

I can't remember: did you ever hear back about scholarships for Iowa?

It's 88.5% if tuition doesn't change. We should know by March 1 what the tuition will be for sure.

Never heard anything from Iowa. I doubt if I get anything there. I got 25% at UIUC, and they're known to give out a lot of scholarships.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:37 pm

Opie wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:
Opie wrote:It came! Not quite the rockstar Opperman scholarship that Shredderrr got, but it's pretty decent. $30k/year with the same stips that have been mentioned so far.

Damn, I really wanted you to get an Opperman as well. That's still a nice scholarship though. Congrats! I can't remember the tuition prices, but that's got to be pretty close to full, isn't it?

It's 88.5% if tuition doesn't change. We should know by March 1 what the tuition will be for sure.

Never heard anything from Iowa. I doubt if I get anything there. I got 25% at UIUC, and they're known to give out a lot of scholarships.

Hopefully it doesn't raise too much. Most schools I have noticed raise tuition about $2,000 a year. Drake Law, however, has been well known in the past to have some of the lowest tuition increases of any law school.

And FWIW, I got a full at Iowa and only 50% at UIUC.

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:06 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
Opie wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:

Hopefully it doesn't raise too much. Most schools I have noticed raise tuition about $2,000 a year. Drake Law, however, has been well known in the past to have some of the lowest tuition increases of any law school.

And FWIW, I got a full at Iowa and only 50% at UIUC.

I'm hoping they don't raise it at all. I got the impression from my conversation that that was a possibility.

I did a little analysis to see how Drake stacked up financially to Iowa with the scholarship I have. I thought it might be useful to some of you guys that are weighing that decision. I used the model I use for weighted average cost of capital (business nerd). I'm not actually a math guy though, so if anyone can figure out a way to refine this to account for some of the either/or language in the stipulations, please let me know.

I also used last years numbers since I don't know if they will change.

Drake with $30k scholly:

1L: $4636 (33900 - 30000 + 736 fees)
2L: $34636 (33900 - 10500 [30k scholly adj for top 35% prob] - 750 [5% chance of renewal at half] - 300 [10% chance of renewal at 10%])
3L: $34636 (same as 2L)
Total not including living expenses and books: $50,808

Iowa at sticker (resident):

$27,344 per year or $82,032 not including books or living expenses.

Obviously these don't include tuition increases, etc., but they're okay for comparison. Drake might actually be a little cheaper than what is listed due to the weird language in the stipulations, or it might be more due to a possible increase in tuition.

I also looked at Drake's cost if I lose the scholly completely after the first year and it came to $73,908. Still pretty decent.

tlahood

Postby tlahood » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:18 pm

Is Drake willing to negotiate its scholarships? I got $20,000 a year, but was going to try and leverage with similar scholarships from some of its peer schools. Anyone going on a school visit?

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:29 pm

tlahood wrote:Is Drake willing to negotiate its scholarships? I got $20,000 a year, but was going to try and leverage with similar scholarships from some of its peer schools. Anyone going on a school visit?

1. Probably. I'm gonna attempt to negotiate mine if at all possible.
2. Also probably...if I do go, it'll be over spring break or something.

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:30 pm

tlahood wrote:Is Drake willing to negotiate its scholarships? I got $20,000 a year, but was going to try and leverage with similar scholarships from some of its peer schools. Anyone going on a school visit?

I'm not sure about the negotiation part.

I've been a couple of times, but am planning to go with my wife at some point. When were you thinking? We could meet up if you want info on Des Moines (assuming you don't know about Des Moines, which could be totally wrong). I'm always eager to meet TLSers.

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:14 pm

vpintz wrote:

1. Probably. I'm gonna attempt to negotiate mine if at all possible.
2. Also probably...if I do go, it'll be over spring break or something.

They wouldn't play ball at all last year even against school that were MUCH higher ranked (think top 50). Good luck!

Opie

Postby Opie » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:31 pm

Anyone considering the summer Con Law classes?

checkster

Postby checkster » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:34 pm

Been waiting for quiiiiite a while at Drake, status still just says app complete. Already in at significantly better schools, Drake was kind of a safety, and taking this long is making me consider withdrawing...

Opie

Postby Opie » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:52 pm

checkster wrote:Been waiting for quiiiiite a while at Drake, status still just says app complete. Already in at significantly better schools, Drake was kind of a safety, and taking this long is making me consider withdrawing...

Hen did you apply? They just started reviewing apps again after a couple of months off.

checkster

Postby checkster » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:05 pm

Over Christmas break. Not too long ago, but most other schools I applied to around then have either made a decision or at least said its in review.

Opie

Postby Opie » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:05 pm

checkster wrote:Over Christmas break. Not too long ago, but most other schools I applied to around then have either made a decision or at least said its in review.

Drake doesn't use "in review". The banner at the top of the status checker that says "Thank you for..." will disappear, and then a few days later a new one will appear and it will say "decision rendered". They literally just started reviewing apps that came in in early November like a week ago though, so don't worry too much. If you're no longer considering them though, you could withdraw.

checkster

Postby checkster » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:07 pm

Thanks. You still consider Iowa, or did you decide on Drake?

Opie

Postby Opie » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:29 pm

checkster wrote:Thanks. You still consider Iowa, or did you decide on Drake?

If they come through with some money for me, I might consider Iowa. Right now Drake is a lot cheaper even if I lose my scholarship though, so Drake is in the lead.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:45 pm

Opie wrote:Anyone considering the summer Con Law classes?

I've heard good things, but the thought of taking advantage of my summer to prepare for law school I think might have to outweigh it.

Opie

Postby Opie » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:57 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:

I've heard good things, but the thought of taking advantage of my summer to prepare for law school I think might have to outweigh it.

If I'm not in class, I'm working 40+ hours a week. I don't see a negative. :)

The thing that I saw that sounded interesting is that you can lighten your load later because of the 6 credits. THAT made me consider it.

Obviously con law is not particularly valuable to a practicing lawyer, but I looked at some previous classes that were offered, and they appear to be applied con law type classes that do have some legit use.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:01 pm

Opie wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:

The thing that I saw that sounded interesting is that you can lighten your load later because of the 6 credits. THAT made me consider it.

Obviously con law is not particularly valuable to a practicing lawyer, but I looked at some previous classes that were offered, and they appear to be applied con law type classes that do have some legit use.

That would be super nice to get 6 hours under your belt right off the bat. If you'll be working anyways, there is definitely more incentive. Lol I am young enough that I only have to work part-time during school and still have my parents pay for a large part of my expenses. It is a luxury that I realize will end very soon, so I figure I might as well enjoy my last, (relatively) care-free summer.

Opie

Postby Opie » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:04 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
Opie wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:

That would be super nice to get 6 hours under your belt right off the bat. If you'll be working anyways, there is definitely more incentive. Lol I am young enough that I only have to work part-time during school and still have my parents pay for a large part of my expenses. It is a luxury that I realize will end very soon, so I figure I might as well enjoy my last, (relatively) care-free summer.

I don't blame you there. I unfortunately was never that lucky. I moved 1500 miles away from my parents when I was 18 and haven't had any support from them since. That's why I'm 30 and just now am finishing undergrad. My carefree period was the period of time after my ex-wife left me and before I ran out of money. That was about 8 months. :mrgreen:

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:14 pm

I don't blame you there. I unfortunately was never that lucky. I moved 1500 miles away from my parents when I was 18 and haven't had any support from them since. That's why I'm 30 and just now am finishing undergrad. My carefree period was the period of time after my ex-wife left me and before I ran out of money. That was about 8 months.

Oh wow! Yeah, I have been very lucky in my life.

Have you always known you wanted to do law school then? I always assumed you had just had a change of heart in regards to career aspirations.

Opie

Postby Opie » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:17 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
I don't blame you there. I unfortunately was never that lucky. I moved 1500 miles away from my parents when I was 18 and haven't had any support from them since. That's why I'm 30 and just now am finishing undergrad. My carefree period was the period of time after my ex-wife left me and before I ran out of money. That was about 8 months.

Have you always known you wanted to do law school then? I always assumed you had just had a change of heart in regards to career aspirations.

I've wanted to for a long time. I was in Teen Court at 14 and Police Explorers at 16. I decided on it again probably a year ago though.

Anyone planning on/already did join the FB group?

ETA: actually, is that you already in the group Shredderrr?

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:38 pm

Opie wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:

I've wanted to for a long time. I was in Teen Court at 14 and Police Explorers at 16. I decided on it again probably a year ago though.

Haha actually, I don't have FB :shock:

Opie

Postby Opie » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:43 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
Opie wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:

Haha actually, I don't have FB :shock:

Why am I not surprised?

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:45 pm

Why am I not surprised?

Haha if you can remember, it got a less-than-thrilled response in the Iowa thread (it was right after the drinking debacle).

Opie

Postby Opie » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:49 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
Why am I not surprised?

Haha if you can remember, it got a less-than-thrilled response in the Iowa thread (it was right after the drinking debacle).

I guess I do remember that. When you get to be my age there will be people you haven't seen in 15 years you'll want to find. :mrgreen:

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:52 pm

Opie wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:
Why am I not surprised?

I guess I do remember that. When you get to be my age there will be people you haven't seen in 15 years you'll want to find. :mrgreen:

At my age, I've got people from 5 years ago that I'drather not find. Lol at some point, I'll get my FB back I'm sure.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”