Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Opie

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby Opie » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:24 am

shredderrrrrr wrote:
Opie wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:
Opie wrote:I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Hubbell Tower isn't as great as it seems.

1) parking isn't close and it's not free. You could rely in public transit, but after about 6, there is only one bus that goes that way and the stop is 6 blocks away through a bad neighborhood.

2) the facilities aren't as nice as they look online. I walk through that building daily and it isn't that great. Also, the washers that they show online? I'm relatively certain that those are the only washers in the building. I'm not aware of any laundromats downtown.

3) there's nowhere to buy groceries, etc. The nearest grocery store is at least a mile away. In walking distance is a daylight only convenience store in the skywalk and a Walgreens that is closed when I walk by at 8:00 PM. I'm not sure how late it's really open.

4) the management company has kind of a bad reputation in town.

5) all of the units are small. Even the two bedroom ones.

6) the entire building is income restricted, so most of us don't qualify.

I'll try to get more info about them, but in general, I don't recommend living downtown for most people.

What would you say constitutes downtown? I know very little about Des Moines in this regard. I would assume Court Avenue area is downtown? What about East Village or Sherman Hill? Are those considered 'downtown' in regards to noise and inconvenience?

I liked a lot of ones in those areas (Gateway Lofts, AP Lofts, Vine Street) but hadn't really considered the noise and such. I need to look more outside of just the center of the city.

East Village and Sherman Hill are not Downtown in my book, and they are better choices, but I would probably look at less trendy areas because you will be closer to things and will pay a lot less. Windsor Heights, Beaverdale, Kingman Place, and even Urbandale or West Des Moines if you're going to be driving.

Court Ave has such bad noise that it is a frequent discussion at council meetings. The bars win.

Thanks! I'll definitely look into those other areas when I make it back out to DM.

When it comes down to it, I really don't care at all about the location of where I live (in a geographic sense). I obviously want a nice/safe/relatively quiet part of town, but whether I'm, for instance, 5 minutes from campus vs. 20 minutes doesn't really matter too much to me. Where we live right now, we pay a huge amount simply for location. I would much rather take the money and sacrifice location and improve quality.

The biggest problem for my girlfriend and I is that we will (finances permitting) likely be more tempted to spend too much for aesthetic preference rather than value. For instance, we would easily pay for an apartment (based only on pictures in this discussion) like http://www.apartmentfinder.com/Iowa/Des-Moines-Apartments/Ap-Lofts-Apartments or http://www.apartmentfinder.com/Iowa/Des-Moines-Apartments/Gateway-Lofts-Apartments before we paid a much lower price for an apartment like this http://www.apartments.com/summary.aspx?page=summary&property=211726.1&SearchCriteria=FaHZeU52QYf8v2Ctznzh9PgKOTrGMO7URifP4ksbPaFXOXcrWX10hbJspZJRqr5z50uSlaOUHoxswhE-%7cVtl%2fdPofnOd0SBfHqnJntlN9bKzTEOlHbwPIuCssM9Tr2ArRnWGqd1hYLSEYRYNKpT9NEvEggx-%7cHCJgx8GQRMJ4t6fU%3d&prvpg=1067&sid=5be045f4-4f57-48c7-a2d2-fe4f094e5f73&productId=P&Hidebackresults=T&pdriveit=0&pdrivefrm=1#MenuItem.

Any recommendations/idea if there are some better priced apartments that don't look like they are 30 years old in the areas you mentioned?

If you want a trendy place like that, you'll be limited to Downtown, East Village, and several locations way out West (West Glen, Jordan Creek, etc.). I would recommend the e300 building, which is an eco-friendly place that is way trendy. It's at 300 East Grand in the East Village. It's pricey -- like $1100 a month for 785 sq. ft. -- but very nice and way trendy. The East Village is also way less busy and loud than Downtown, and also more gentrified (read: you won't find homeless people sleeping in your doorway as much).

The place you mentioned is nice, but you'll be 15-20 minutes from Drake by car and in a part of town that is subject to CONSTANT delays due to poor urban planning. The South side gets cut off from the rest of the town EVERY spring when Gray's Lake floods over several roads. This has happened for months at a time before. Just be aware that if you live South of the river, you may have to take detours that could turn that 20 minute drive into 45. If all goes well though, you're a straight shot up MLK to Drake. Overall it's a decent choice though.

You may want to look at condos if you have that kind of money to spend. There are a few on the South edge of Downtown that are away from most of the bustle. I'm thinking Whiteline by the Science Center and some others. Not sure if you're in a position to buy, but they overbuilt these places before the bubble and I've heard the deals are good if you have the money and credit.

I would spend some time looking at the West Glen area too. Very convenient as it is close to shopping and other nice things. Most of these places have more of a suburban feel than the more urban looking place that you posted, but there are some like that. There are a lot of townhomes too that can be rented or purchased. West Glen is a long way from campus, but there is an interstate onramp right there and an off ramp blocks from Campus. I'd say it's 20 minutes during rush hour, 15 otherwise.

Most of what I would consider the good apartments in Des Moines are 100+ year old houses and tenements that have been converted into apartments. These aren't as crappy as the ones in Iowa City though.

I have not heard anything about the Drake West Village Apartments, but I drive by them a lot! They're very new (like 1-2 years) and would be very convenient. They're on the opposite side of campus from the law school, so walking would be icky during the winter (but doable if you bundle up), but there is a McDonald's, Paul Revere's Pizza, a great BBQ place, KFC/Taco Bell, several bars, Walgreen's, Subway, Starbucks's (though only douchebags go there with Mars Cafe around the corner), a Japanese place, the non-law campus bookstore, and a lot of other amenities within a block (or in the building!). I don't think they have filled the buildings yet because there are so many units and they are so new, so if you got one of these places, it is unlikely that that many people would have used the furnishings. The buildings are also really nice looking even if they're in the ghetto. This is a solidly UG area of campus though, so most of the people living there are in UG and the biggest dorms are across the street. Not recommended if UGs annoy you. IMO, Drake UGs are not like most places UGs. The majority of Drake UGs I run into are 19 year-old girls with rich parents. A little snotty, but not the party animal hoes of Iowa City. That's just a generalization though. YMMV

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:45 am

If you want a trendy place like that, you'll be limited to Downtown, East Village, and several locations way out West (West Glen, Jordan Creek, etc.). I would recommend the e300 building, which is an eco-friendly place that is way trendy. It's at 300 East Grand in the East Village. It's pricey -- like $1100 a month for 785 sq. ft. -- but very nice and way trendy. The East Village is also way less busy and loud than Downtown, and also more gentrified (read: you won't find homeless people sleeping in your doorway as much).

The place you mentioned is nice, but you'll be 15-20 minutes from Drake by car and in a part of town that is subject to CONSTANT delays due to poor urban planning. The South side gets cut off from the rest of the town EVERY spring when Gray's Lake floods over several roads. This has happened for months at a time before. Just be aware that if you live South of the river, you may have to take detours that could turn that 20 minute drive into 45. If all goes well though, you're a straight shot up MLK to Drake. Overall it's a decent choice though.

You may want to look at condos if you have that kind of money to spend. There are a few on the South edge of Downtown that are away from most of the bustle. I'm thinking Whiteline by the Science Center and some others. Not sure if you're in a position to buy, but they overbuilt these places before the bubble and I've heard the deals are good if you have the money and credit.

I would spend some time looking at the West Glen area too. Very convenient as it is close to shopping and other nice things. Most of these places have more of a suburban feel than the more urban looking place that you posted, but there are some like that. There are a lot of townhomes too that can be rented or purchased. West Glen is a long way from campus, but there is an interstate onramp right there and an off ramp blocks from Campus. I'd say it's 20 minutes during rush hour, 15 otherwise.

Most of what I would consider the good apartments in Des Moines are 100+ year old houses and tenements that have been converted into apartments. These aren't as crappy as the ones in Iowa City though.

I have not heard anything about the Drake West Village Apartments, but I drive by them a lot! They're very new (like 1-2 years) and would be very convenient. They're on the opposite side of campus from the law school, so walking would be icky during the winter (but doable if you bundle up), but there is a McDonald's, Paul Revere's Pizza, a great BBQ place, KFC/Taco Bell, several bars, Walgreen's, Subway, Starbucks's (though only douchebags go there with Mars Cafe around the corner), a Japanese place, the non-law campus bookstore, and a lot of other amenities within a block (or in the building!). I don't think they have filled the buildings yet because there are so many units and they are so new, so if you got one of these places, it is unlikely that that many people would have used the furnishings. The buildings are also really nice looking even if they're in the ghetto. This is a solidly UG area of campus though, so most of the people living there are in UG and the biggest dorms are across the street. Not recommended if UGs annoy you. IMO, Drake UGs are not like most places UGs. The majority of Drake UGs I run into are 19 year-old girls with rich parents. A little snotty, but not the party animal hoes of Iowa City. That's just a generalization though. YMMV

I have heard good things about e300! I am totally going to check those out when I'm in DM next.

Good to know about the South of the river issues. I never would have considered that! Totally worth considering though. I don't want to be isolated from the rest of the city.

Depending on the job my girlfriend (hopefully) gets, I would be interested in buying. I like the idea of getting some return for my money. The only problem I have, however, is the overabundance of condos in Des Moines, especially in downtown. According to my sister, they completely over-produced condos in DM, resulting in a ton of them being unsold. While this would be great when buying, it would be problematic when I chose to sell. Obviously if we stayed in DM after graduation, it wouldn't be a problem, but if we had to/chose to move, it would be a bad situation if we couldn't sell it. I'm very hesitant to take on any risk lol. Not to mention the idea of actually owning property right now is very intimidating to me.

Is the good BBQ place you mentioned Jethros? I love that place.

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:47 am

THIS JUST IN:

Drake is still in the running for me, even with the NYU acceptance. There are many things that attract me to Drake, such as the scholarship and personal ties to the school. It is very much still a possibility.
– Hawklaw3
(From LSN)

So looks like that Opperman Scholarship is not necessarily up for grabs. I can't imagine him not getting something good from some T14 schools though. He's above both 75ths at GULC. I don't see a situation where he doesn't get at least half tuition at most of the low T14 that he applied to and SOMETHING at NYU and maybe higher.

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:52 am

shredderrrrrr wrote:

I have heard good things about e300! I am totally going to check those out when I'm in DM next.

Good to know about the South of the river issues. I never would have considered that! Totally worth considering though. I don't want to be isolated from the rest of the city.

Depending on the job my girlfriend (hopefully) gets, I would be interested in buying. I like the idea of getting some return for my money. The only problem I have, however, is the overabundance of condos in Des Moines, especially in downtown. According to my sister, they completely over-produced condos in DM, resulting in a ton of them being unsold. While this would be great when buying, it would be problematic when I chose to sell. Obviously if we stayed in DM after graduation, it wouldn't be a problem, but if we had to/chose to move, it would be a bad situation if we couldn't sell it. I'm very hesitant to take on any risk lol. Not to mention the idea of actually owning property right now is very intimidating to me.

Is the good BBQ place you mentioned Jethros? I love that place.

Yes! Jethro's is amazing!

Your sister is correct about the condos in DSM. You could always rent it out though if you couldn't sell it. There's no shortage of renters. Also, you're looking at 4 years from now and the housing market is likely to be very different then than it is now.

The townhome situation out West is different though. I have not heard of any trouble selling those. I know realtors if you're interested in looking at something at some point. In general, the consensus is that everyone wants to be as far West as possible these days. Dallas County even. I don't prefer that, but I like places with steam heat and 100-year-old wood floors. :mrgreen:

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:54 am

Opie wrote:THIS JUST IN:

Drake is still in the running for me, even with the NYU acceptance. There are many things that attract me to Drake, such as the scholarship and personal ties to the school. It is very much still a possibility.
– Hawklaw3
(From LSN)

So looks like that Opperman Scholarship is not necessarily up for grabs. I can't imagine him not getting something good from some T14 schools though. He's above both 75ths at GULC. I don't see a situation where he doesn't get at least half tuition at most of the low T14 that he applied to and SOMETHING at NYU and maybe higher.

Lol I thought that was you talking. I was a bit confused...both an acceptance to NYU and a scholarship from Drake? When did this all happen?

In all honesty, I don't see him ending up at Drake. I obviously know nothing about him, but with numbers like his, he can avoid debt at much better schools.

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:08 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:

– Hawklaw3
(From LSN)

Lol I thought that was you talking. I was a bit confused...both an acceptance to NYU and a scholarship from Drake? When did this all happen?

In all honesty, I don't see him ending up at Drake. I obviously know nothing about him, but with numbers like his, he can avoid debt at much better schools.

It was me. I was on my phone and didn't feel like signing in. :lol:

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:36 pm

Opie, I just want to say thank you so much for being so helpful! I really appreciate it, and I'm sure shredder does, too. :3

I was wondering if you had an idea on what areas (preferably urban, east village, etc.) we're good areas for lawl students to live if they don't have a car/will be relying on build transportation? If you don't know, that's cool, just thought I'd ask :3

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:50 pm

Opie wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:

– Hawklaw3
(From LSN)

It was me. I was on my phone and didn't feel like signing in. :lol:

No I meant the top quote from Hawklaw3. I thought that was you telling us your thoughts until I realized that it was a quote from Hawklaw3 on LSN.

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:59 pm

vpintz wrote:Opie, I just want to say thank you so much for being so helpful! I really appreciate it, and I'm sure shredder does, too. :3

I was wondering if you had an idea on what areas (preferably urban, east village, etc.) we're good areas for lawl students to live if they don't have a car/will be relying on build transportation? If you don't know, that's cool, just thought I'd ask :3

No problem! It's so hard to get this info if you don't know anyone in town ahead of time, so I'm happy to help.

I just spent a few more minutes looking at the bus schedules (dmmta.com) and found that I misspoke earlier. The #3 DOES go to Drake from Downtown a little later. Until about ten actually during the week. I must have been looking at the much more limited weekend schedule. That makes Downtown a little more viable for you. Hubbell tower isn't too bad if you keep in mind my above caveats. I had Shredderrr in mind when I wrote some of those (knowing that he would be with another person in the place). I'm not sure if a law student can qualify for income restricted though. I think you have to work full-time (or at least one person in the household does).

The #5 will take you from the East Village to Downtown to catch the #3, but it only runs until like 6:30. You could walk from the transit hub downtown to the East Village, but it's 12 blocks to where most of the Village starts. The wind is crazy too because some of that is walking on a long bridge over the river.

The #1 will also take you Downtown to catch the #3, but again, it's basically business hours.

It's always easy to get to the 6th and Walnut Transit Hub if you can find a bus to get on. Almost every route eventually gets there.

What requirements do you have for housing. I can give you more specific info if I know more about your situation. There are great places right by Drake, but they're not urban really. There are some apartments above the Dogtown shopping (Mars Cafe, Yankee Doodle Tatoo Parlor, Planet Sub, etc.). Those might not be terrible, but you're going to be around a lot of people all the time. Mars has live music sometimes too, so that's a noise consideration.

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:16 pm

Opie wrote:
vpintz wrote:Opie, I just want to say thank you so much for being so helpful! I really appreciate it, and I'm sure shredder does, too. :3

No problem! It's so hard to get this info if you don't know anyone in town ahead of time, so I'm happy to help.

I just spent a few more minutes looking at the bus schedules (dmmta.com) and found that I misspoke earlier. The #3 DOES go to Drake from Downtown a little later. Until about ten actually during the week. I must have been looking at the much more limited weekend schedule. That makes Downtown a little more viable for you. Hubbell tower isn't too bad if you keep in mind my above caveats. I had Shredderrr in mind when I wrote some of those (knowing that he would be with another person in the place). I'm not sure if a law student can qualify for income restricted though. I think you have to work full-time (or at least one person in the household does).

The #5 will take you from the East Village to Downtown to catch the #3, but it only runs until like 6:30. You could walk from the transit hub downtown to the East Village, but it's 12 blocks to where most of the Village starts. The wind is crazy too because some of that is walking on a long bridge over the river.

The #1 will also take you Downtown to catch the #3, but again, it's basically business hours.

It's always easy to get to the 6th and Walnut Transit Hub if you can find a bus to get on. Almost every route eventually gets there.

What requirements do you have for housing. I can give you more specific info if I know more about your situation. There are great places right by Drake, but they're not urban really. There are some apartments above the Dogtown shopping (Mars Cafe, Yankee Doodle Tatoo Parlor, Planet Sub, etc.). Those might not be terrible, but you're going to be around a lot of people all the time. Mars has live music sometimes too, so that's a noise consideration.

Aah, gotcha! Thank you so much. My only preferences are in a semi urban area (or within walking distance to one), modern looking apartments (lofts, east village/downtown type places), and close to a lot of shopping/bars/restaurants. Close to public transportation/bus stops is a must (or at least a reasonable walking distance...a half mile to a mile is my max (I have to walk a lot for my UG).) and being close to grocery stores, things like that, would be important. :] those are my only real preferences/requirements, haha.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:29 pm

Opie wrote:

According to some places I've spoke to, it is difficult to qualify for income restriction. My girlfriend and I, for instance, won't be able to, even if she has a low-paying full time job. There is some rule that basically says you have to have at least one person in the apartment who had been working full-time for some period (I believe 6 months-year) before you apply for the income-restricted housing. I didn't understand completely, but they said that since we both would be students up until May, we would not be able to qualify for it.

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:41 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
Opie wrote:

According to some places I've spoke to, it is difficult to qualify for income restriction. My girlfriend and I, for instance, won't be able to, even if she has a low-paying full time job. There is some rule that basically says you have to have at least one person in the apartment who had been working full-time for some period (I believe 6 months-year) before you apply for the income-restricted housing. I didn't understand completely, but they said that since we both would be students up until May, we would not be able to qualify for it.

This is true. You have to be ACTUALLY low income. Low income because you're a student or were a student for a good chunk of the year doesn't count. Basically it is to keep those spots for the working poor.

vpintz, I'm working on some specific recommendations for you, but I have a paper to finish. :roll:

:mrgreen:

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:52 pm

Opie wrote:
vpintz, I'm working on some specific recommendations for you, but I have a paper to finish. :roll:

it's all good, take your time! No rush. :]

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:39 pm

vpintz wrote:
Opie wrote:

it's all good, take your time! No rush. :]

http://www.apartmentfinder.com/Iowa/Des ... Apartments
and
http://www.apartmentfinder.com/Iowa/Des ... Apartments
are the apartments across the street from Drake. The first one says "tuck under garage", but I'm not sure if that is accurate. I've never seen such a thing in that building and I've been there a million times.

I'm not sure on pets, etc. for those two places or anything that isn't listed there, but they're above relatively okay businesses other than perhaps Mars (which is the most popular coffee shop in town, and has live music which you might hear). I'm not sure how available they will be. They're walking distance to class, like 5 blocks to Walgreens, a little over a mile to the grocery store, bar across the street and several others in walking distance, two sub shops, a sushi place, a halal grocery, a Chinese restaurant, a salon, etc. within 1 block. There's also Old Main across the street.

Old Main is more of a standard apartment as opposed to the trendier lofts. It's also ALL Drake students, mostly UG. It's not as cool or nice as the other places, but it has nice amenities like swimming pool, etc.

Drake West Village is affiliated with the university and is one of those places where you can get a 5 bedroom apartment and they will find you roommates. The do have single units though, but they're WAY more expensive than the competition. They're pretty nice though, so it may still be an option. They're close to businesses as well, but farther from class and the library and they're even more into UGville. Also, they're in a rougher part of the neighborhood. It IS nicely furnished, and utilities are included, so that would make budgeting much easier. This place doesn't look like my cup of tea though and I'm not 100% sure it's open to grad students.

To tell you the truth, most Drake grad students buy or rent houses as opposed to apartments. Or at least the ones I know do.

Opie

Postby Opie » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:35 pm

I'm trying to figure out what day the adcomm is meeting. Any thoughts?

YankeeFan2

Postby YankeeFan2 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:51 pm

I received my acceptance decision on 12/15. I submitted about two weeks earlier. If you have been in review for more than 6 weeks, I would call them.

Opie

Postby Opie » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:58 pm

YankeeFan2 wrote:I received my acceptance decision on 12/15. I submitted about two weeks earlier. If you have been in review for more than 6 weeks, I would call them.

I emailed them at 5 weeks and they said that the adcomm was on break for finals and would meet in "mid-January". They said my app would be reviewed at that meeting and I'd have a decision within two business days if the meeting. I'm just neurotic and want to try to figure out exactly when that will be. It seems from my datamining, the most likely thing would be for them to meet today.

YankeeFan2

Postby YankeeFan2 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:01 pm

I would give them until next Friday and then call back.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:16 pm

Opie wrote:
YankeeFan2 wrote:I received my acceptance decision on 12/15. I submitted about two weeks earlier. If you have been in review for more than 6 weeks, I would call them.

I emailed them at 5 weeks and they said that the adcomm was on break for finals and would meet in "mid-January". They said my app would be reviewed at that meeting and I'd have a decision within two business days if the meeting. I'm just neurotic and want to try to figure out exactly when that will be. It seems from my datamining, the most likely thing would be for them to meet today.

It's gotta be soon. Lol how long of a break do they need? It seems strange taking a prolonged break over the busiest time of their year. It would be like a ski-resort shutting down to take a few weeks off during the winter and then working all summer...

neeko

Postby neeko » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:59 pm

Hi guys

Opie

Postby Opie » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:07 pm

neeko wrote:Hi guys

I was just thinking about you! Thought you may have lost interest!

neeko

Postby neeko » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:04 pm

Opie wrote:

Haha! I'm all over the place, I have no idea where I am going. Whats new with you?

I saw someone on LSN report an acceptance today, have you checked lately?

Opie

Postby Opie » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:59 pm

neeko wrote:
Opie wrote:

Haha! I'm all over the place, I have no idea where I am going. Whats new with you?

What's new? I lost my job today. :( On Friday the 13th even. How cliché..

And yes, I've checked 5 times today. :mrgreen:

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:04 pm

Opie wrote:
neeko wrote:
Opie wrote:

What's new? I lost my job today. :( On Friday the 13th even. How cliché..

And yes, I've checked 5 times today. :mrgreen:

Oh no, that's terrible! I'm so sorry :[

Opie

Postby Opie » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:07 pm

vpintz wrote:Oh no, that's terrible! I'm so sorry :[

It's cool. I would be quitting in 7 months anyway. I feel like I was targeted because of that though.

Don't tell anyone at work you're planning on going to law school!
(unless you work for a law firm)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”