Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
shredderrrrrr
Posts: 4673
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:36 am

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby shredderrrrrr » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:32 pm

Visited the school today and it went great! The facilities are actually not too bad. The library was very nice. I liked it a lot better than Iowa. The Legal Clinic building was phenomenal as well.

Andrew in admissions is really helpful. I also got to meet with dean Vestal who was awesome! Really nice guy.

At this point, I really see no reason to not attend Drake. My girlfriend and I even started apartment hunting! Any suggestions from Des Moines locals? I've gathered that the Drake neighborhood isn't nice and was looking at the Court Ave district, East Village, and Sherman Hill.

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby Opie » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:44 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:Visited the school today and it went great! The facilities are actually not too bad. The library was very nice. I liked it a lot better than Iowa. The Legal Clinic building was phenomenal as well.

Andrew in admissions is really helpful. I also got to meet with dean Vestal who was awesome! Really nice guy.

At this point, I really see no reason to not attend Drake. My girlfriend and I even started apartment hunting! Any suggestions from Des Moines locals? I've gathered that the Drake neighborhood isn't nice and was looking at the Court Ave district, East Village, and Sherman Hill.

Are you guys still in town? I have lots of suggestions if you want to chat some time.

jable500
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:56 am

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby jable500 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:39 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:Visited the school today and it went great! The facilities are actually not too bad. The library was very nice. I liked it a lot better than Iowa. The Legal Clinic building was phenomenal as well.

Andrew in admissions is really helpful. I also got to meet with dean Vestal who was awesome! Really nice guy.

At this point, I really see no reason to not attend Drake. My girlfriend and I even started apartment hunting! Any suggestions from Des Moines locals? I've gathered that the Drake neighborhood isn't nice and was looking at the Court Ave district, East Village, and Sherman Hill.


It depends on what your looking for.

There are some areas around Ingersol that are suitable and the places you mentioned are nearby and close to restaurants, bars, etc.

Drake is not far from the highway (235) so anything west (Urbandale or West Des Moines) will do. There are plenty of apartments that are affordable and it's not going to be a bad drive either way. Maybe 10-15 minutes.

Des Moines doesn't have a huge night life but if you must be within walking distance of restaurants East Village, Court Ave, or anywhere downtown is pretty much your only option. If walking to bars/restaurants doesn't matter then I would save some money and look for an apt. in West Des Moines that is close to I-235. Even if you're not downtown you will probably be close to some decent activity.

Hope this helps and feel free to contact me with any questions. I'm not from Des Moines but I've been here for 4 years and I'm familiar with the area.

User avatar
shredderrrrrr
Posts: 4673
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:36 am

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby shredderrrrrr » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:07 pm

jable500 wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:Visited the school today and it went great! The facilities are actually not too bad. The library was very nice. I liked it a lot better than Iowa. The Legal Clinic building was phenomenal as well.

Andrew in admissions is really helpful. I also got to meet with dean Vestal who was awesome! Really nice guy.

At this point, I really see no reason to not attend Drake. My girlfriend and I even started apartment hunting! Any suggestions from Des Moines locals? I've gathered that the Drake neighborhood isn't nice and was looking at the Court Ave district, East Village, and Sherman Hill.


It depends on what your looking for.

There are some areas around Ingersol that are suitable and the places you mentioned are nearby and close to restaurants, bars, etc.

Drake is not far from the highway (235) so anything west (Urbandale or West Des Moines) will do. There are plenty of apartments that are affordable and it's not going to be a bad drive either way. Maybe 10-15 minutes.

Des Moines doesn't have a huge night life but if you must be within walking distance of restaurants East Village, Court Ave, or anywhere downtown is pretty much your only option. If walking to bars/restaurants doesn't matter then I would save some money and look for an apt. in West Des Moines that is close to I-235. Even if you're not downtown you will probably be close to some decent activity.

Hope this helps and feel free to contact me with any questions. I'm not from Des Moines but I've been here for 4 years and I'm familiar with the area.



The reason I'd like to be downtown is very laughable to be honest...

My girlfriend and I have lived in the dorms for 2 years and then a shitty old apartment in a tiny town for 2 years. In all honesty, we are dying to live somewhere new, modern, and chic. We love architecture and design and have always been attracted to loft-style apartment (high ceilings, few walls, exposed brick/ductwork, etc...). My sister has lived at The Kirkwood for a while and we love it there.

Wanting a nice modern apartment, it looks like most of them are in the downtown area. We have no need to be close to the bars, but we just want an apartment similar in style to AP Transfer Lofts of Gateway Lofts.

Lol I realize the most important factors in picking an apartment are location and price, but we are putting style and aesthetics first. I figure I might as well be honest about that.

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby Opie » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:32 pm

I would not recommend Court Ave for law students. It's pretty loud all week long, you have to pay for parking, and the traffic is terrible for getting to class.

I know of some specific places that are good though. The actual Drake neighborhood is pretty ghetto, but there are a few gems even there.

User avatar
shredderrrrrr
Posts: 4673
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:36 am

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby shredderrrrrr » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:46 pm

Opie wrote:I would not recommend Court Ave for law students. It's pretty loud all week long, you have to pay for parking, and the traffic is terrible for getting to class.

I know of some specific places that are good though. The actual Drake neighborhood is pretty ghetto, but there are a few gems even there.


Good to know! Is Sherman Hill better? Our favorite we've seen (Gateway Lofts) was there. It was only a few minutes from the law school which was nice.

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby Opie » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:24 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
Opie wrote:I would not recommend Court Ave for law students. It's pretty loud all week long, you have to pay for parking, and the traffic is terrible for getting to class.

I know of some specific places that are good though. The actual Drake neighborhood is pretty ghetto, but there are a few gems even there.


Good to know! Is Sherman Hill better? Our favorite we've seen (Gateway Lofts) was there. It was only a few minutes from the law school which was nice.


Sherman hill is better for noise and proximity for sure. It's next to a housing project and a hospital, which sucks, but pretty quiet. Only one bar (Carl's Place) but it's a good one. The neighborhood is extremely popular with hipsters though (if that annoys you) and a lot if the buildings are dilapidated.

What price range are you looking for? Size? Pets? What does your fiancé do? Number of cars? Any other important factors?

User avatar
shredderrrrrr
Posts: 4673
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:36 am

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby shredderrrrrr » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:45 pm

Opie wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:
Opie wrote:I would not recommend Court Ave for law students. It's pretty loud all week long, you have to pay for parking, and the traffic is terrible for getting to class.

I know of some specific places that are good though. The actual Drake neighborhood is pretty ghetto, but there are a few gems even there.


Good to know! Is Sherman Hill better? Our favorite we've seen (Gateway Lofts) was there. It was only a few minutes from the law school which was nice.


Sherman hill is better for noise and proximity for sure. It's next to a housing project and a hospital, which sucks, but pretty quiet. Only one bar (Carl's Place) but it's a good one. The neighborhood is extremely popular with hipsters though (if that annoys you) and a lot if the buildings are dilapidated.

What price range are you looking for? Size? Pets? What does your fiancé do? Number of cars? Any other important factors?


We ideally want 2 bedrooms but would be fine with one if it was spacious/nice (we have a lot of shit).

The price range will depend largely on what job she finds. She will have a degree in elementary special education but doesn't know if she will apply for a position in an elementary school or pursue alternatives. Ideally she would find a job in a DM school, and average starting salary ranges from $35,000-40,000. This combined with the $10,000 stipend and $500/month provided by my parents (yes, I know) leaves us a little flexibility. Assuming she has a job, I would think we could comfortably spend up to around $1,500/month. It helps that we really have no other major expenses other than trying to save money for the future.

We each have a car but don't need any sort of fancy (underground/heated) parking.

2 cats makes things difficult.

Other than that, there are no real major things altering this situation. We unfortunately don't qualify for the income-restricted apartments because we are both currently students.

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby Opie » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:41 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
Opie wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:
Opie wrote:I would not recommend Court Ave for law students. It's pretty loud all week long, you have to pay for parking, and the traffic is terrible for getting to class.

I know of some specific places that are good though. The actual Drake neighborhood is pretty ghetto, but there are a few gems even there.


Good to know! Is Sherman Hill better? Our favorite we've seen (Gateway Lofts) was there. It was only a few minutes from the law school which was nice.


Sherman hill is better for noise and proximity for sure. It's next to a housing project and a hospital, which sucks, but pretty quiet. Only one bar (Carl's Place) but it's a good one. The neighborhood is extremely popular with hipsters though (if that annoys you) and a lot if the buildings are dilapidated.

What price range are you looking for? Size? Pets? What does your fiancé do? Number of cars? Any other important factors?


We ideally want 2 bedrooms but would be fine with one if it was spacious/nice (we have a lot of shit).

The price range will depend largely on what job she finds. She will have a degree in elementary special education but doesn't know if she will apply for a position in an elementary school or pursue alternatives. Ideally she would find a job in a DM school, and average starting salary ranges from $35,000-40,000. This combined with the $10,000 stipend and $500/month provided by my parents (yes, I know) leaves us a little flexibility. Assuming she has a job, I would think we could comfortably spend up to around $1,500/month. It helps that we really have no other major expenses other than trying to save money for the future.

We each have a car but don't need any sort of fancy (underground/heated) parking.

2 cats makes things difficult.

Other than that, there are no real major things altering this situation. We unfortunately don't qualify for the income-restricted apartments because we are both currently students.


With that kind of budget, I would probably be looking at a rental house in Beaverdale. MUCH nicer, plenty of space, cats are usually fine, way close to the school.

My last apartment was a GIANT 2 BR 2 blocks from Drake (the other side of Drake from the law school, but still), pets allowed, in a cool historic building (the street and neighborhood are named after the guy who lived in the house). I only paid $750 for that place, and it included heat and water.

ETA: My wife's family has a couple of teachers. I'll scope that out for you. Drake's grad program for education is pretty good too if she's interested in that.

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby Opie » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:04 pm

For those who my doubt that Drake is in the hood, a guy was just killed on the sidewalk in a drive-by last night. NW corner of the Drake campus. Right next to the McDonlad's for those who know the area.

User avatar
YankeeFan2
Posts: 284
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby YankeeFan2 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:29 am

[*]
Last edited by YankeeFan2 on Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
shredderrrrrr
Posts: 4673
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:36 am

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby shredderrrrrr » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:19 am

YankeeFan2 wrote:What does your post ^^^^ have to do with this discussion board? Same could be said of Temple (ever been to south Philly)


:roll:

Lol how is it not relevant? We've been talking about where to live in Des Moines and the different neighborhoods. He is providing evidence to support the comments about Drake being in a bad part of town. He never said not to go or that Drake is a bad school, just that it isn't in a nice part of town. Lol the fact that Temple is similar is irrelevant.

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby Opie » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:54 am

shredderrrrrr wrote:
YankeeFan2 wrote:What does your post ^^^^ have to do with this discussion board? Same could be said of Temple (ever been to south Philly)


:roll:

Lol how is it not relevant? We've been talking about where to live in Des Moines and the different neighborhoods. He is providing evidence to support the comments about Drake being in a bad part of town. He never said not to go or that Drake is a bad school, just that it isn't in a nice part of town. Lol the fact that Temple is similar is irrelevant.


Precisely. Des Moines is pretty safe overall compared to most cities. I just wouldn't live in that area for law school.

ETA: went to my favorite liquor store in Des Moines last night. It's the ghetto one with the bars on the windows and laundromat attached. Right by Drake on University. Don't let the ghettoness of this place scare you. Best corner store in town.

jable500
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:56 am

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby jable500 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:42 pm

1500/month should go a long way in Des Moines. If you want a modern feel, there are plenty of places around the downtown area that are newer. I have some friends that live in downtown lofts and they say they are affordable. I'll try to get the name of some properties.

As far as the ghettoness of Drake, It's not that bad. It's not the greatest area in Des Moines but it's not horrible compared to other urban areas around the country. Like "Opie" said, there are even some nice houses around Drake.

I wouldn't live in that area but I know some people who do and they don't have any problems with crime. I definitely wouldn't let it sway you from the school.

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby Opie » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:10 pm

Anyone going to the Feb. 4 open house?

User avatar
vpintz
Posts: 1408
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:51 am

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby vpintz » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:33 pm

If I end up going to Drake, I think I'd definitely want to live in the Hubbel Tower apartments...if there are any current students who have lived there/know people who live(d) there, could you please shoot me a pm? =D

User avatar
shredderrrrrr
Posts: 4673
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:36 am

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby shredderrrrrr » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:54 pm

vpintz wrote:If I end up going to Drake, I think I'd definitely want to live in the Hubbel Tower apartments...if there are any current students who have lived there/know people who live(d) there, could you please shoot me a pm? =D


Those look nice from what I've seen. Damn cat restrictions....

User avatar
vpintz
Posts: 1408
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:51 am

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby vpintz » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:58 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
vpintz wrote:If I end up going to Drake, I think I'd definitely want to live in the Hubbel Tower apartments...if there are any current students who have lived there/know people who live(d) there, could you please shoot me a pm? =D


Those look nice from what I've seen. Damn cat restrictions....

Legit. From what I've seen online, they look amazing and I've fallen in love with them.

Which probably means that there's, like, radioactive goo under the bedrooms. (I kid, I kid. But I do have terrible luck, so. :3 )

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby Opie » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:54 am

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Hubbell Tower isn't as great as it seems.

1) parking isn't close and it's not free. You could rely in public transit, but after about 6, there is only one bus that goes that way and the stop is 6 blocks away through a bad neighborhood.

2) the facilities aren't as nice as they look online. I walk through that building daily and it isn't that great. Also, the washers that they show online? I'm relatively certain that those are the only washers in the building. I'm not aware of any laundromats downtown.

3) there's nowhere to buy groceries, etc. The nearest grocery store is at least a mile away. In walking distance is a daylight only convenience store in the skywalk and a Walgreens that is closed when I walk by at 8:00 PM. I'm not sure how late it's really open.

4) the management company has kind of a bad reputation in town.

5) all of the units are small. Even the two bedroom ones.

6) the entire building is income restricted, so most of us don't qualify.

I'll try to get more info about them, but in general, I don't recommend living downtown for most people.

User avatar
shredderrrrrr
Posts: 4673
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:36 am

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby shredderrrrrr » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:04 am

Opie wrote:I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Hubbell Tower isn't as great as it seems.

1) parking isn't close and it's not free. You could rely in public transit, but after about 6, there is only one bus that goes that way and the stop is 6 blocks away through a bad neighborhood.

2) the facilities aren't as nice as they look online. I walk through that building daily and it isn't that great. Also, the washers that they show online? I'm relatively certain that those are the only washers in the building. I'm not aware of any laundromats downtown.

3) there's nowhere to buy groceries, etc. The nearest grocery store is at least a mile away. In walking distance is a daylight only convenience store in the skywalk and a Walgreens that is closed when I walk by at 8:00 PM. I'm not sure how late it's really open.

4) the management company has kind of a bad reputation in town.

5) all of the units are small. Even the two bedroom ones.

6) the entire building is income restricted, so most of us don't qualify.

I'll try to get more info about them, but in general, I don't recommend living downtown for most people.


What would you say constitutes downtown? I know very little about Des Moines in this regard. I would assume Court Avenue area is downtown? What about East Village or Sherman Hill? Are those considered 'downtown' in regards to noise and inconvenience?

I liked a lot of ones in those areas (Gateway Lofts, AP Lofts, Vine Street) but hadn't really considered the noise and such. I need to look more outside of just the center of the city.

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby Opie » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:26 am

shredderrrrrr wrote:
Opie wrote:I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Hubbell Tower isn't as great as it seems.

1) parking isn't close and it's not free. You could rely in public transit, but after about 6, there is only one bus that goes that way and the stop is 6 blocks away through a bad neighborhood.

2) the facilities aren't as nice as they look online. I walk through that building daily and it isn't that great. Also, the washers that they show online? I'm relatively certain that those are the only washers in the building. I'm not aware of any laundromats downtown.

3) there's nowhere to buy groceries, etc. The nearest grocery store is at least a mile away. In walking distance is a daylight only convenience store in the skywalk and a Walgreens that is closed when I walk by at 8:00 PM. I'm not sure how late it's really open.

4) the management company has kind of a bad reputation in town.

5) all of the units are small. Even the two bedroom ones.

6) the entire building is income restricted, so most of us don't qualify.

I'll try to get more info about them, but in general, I don't recommend living downtown for most people.


What would you say constitutes downtown? I know very little about Des Moines in this regard. I would assume Court Avenue area is downtown? What about East Village or Sherman Hill? Are those considered 'downtown' in regards to noise and inconvenience?

I liked a lot of ones in those areas (Gateway Lofts, AP Lofts, Vine Street) but hadn't really considered the noise and such. I need to look more outside of just the center of the city.

East Village and Sherman Hill are not Downtown in my book, and they are better choices, but I would probably look at less trendy areas because you will be closer to things and will pay a lot less. Windsor Heights, Beaverdale, Kingman Place, and even Urbandale or West Des Moines if you're going to be driving.

Court Ave has such bad noise that it is a frequent discussion at council meetings. The bars win.

User avatar
shredderrrrrr
Posts: 4673
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:36 am

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby shredderrrrrr » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:40 am

Opie wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:
Opie wrote:I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Hubbell Tower isn't as great as it seems.

1) parking isn't close and it's not free. You could rely in public transit, but after about 6, there is only one bus that goes that way and the stop is 6 blocks away through a bad neighborhood.

2) the facilities aren't as nice as they look online. I walk through that building daily and it isn't that great. Also, the washers that they show online? I'm relatively certain that those are the only washers in the building. I'm not aware of any laundromats downtown.

3) there's nowhere to buy groceries, etc. The nearest grocery store is at least a mile away. In walking distance is a daylight only convenience store in the skywalk and a Walgreens that is closed when I walk by at 8:00 PM. I'm not sure how late it's really open.

4) the management company has kind of a bad reputation in town.

5) all of the units are small. Even the two bedroom ones.

6) the entire building is income restricted, so most of us don't qualify.

I'll try to get more info about them, but in general, I don't recommend living downtown for most people.


What would you say constitutes downtown? I know very little about Des Moines in this regard. I would assume Court Avenue area is downtown? What about East Village or Sherman Hill? Are those considered 'downtown' in regards to noise and inconvenience?

I liked a lot of ones in those areas (Gateway Lofts, AP Lofts, Vine Street) but hadn't really considered the noise and such. I need to look more outside of just the center of the city.

East Village and Sherman Hill are not Downtown in my book, and they are better choices, but I would probably look at less trendy areas because you will be closer to things and will pay a lot less. Windsor Heights, Beaverdale, Kingman Place, and even Urbandale or West Des Moines if you're going to be driving.

Court Ave has such bad noise that it is a frequent discussion at council meetings. The bars win.


Thanks! I'll definitely look into those other areas when I make it back out to DM.

When it comes down to it, I really don't care at all about the location of where I live (in a geographic sense). I obviously want a nice/safe/relatively quiet part of town, but whether I'm, for instance, 5 minutes from campus vs. 20 minutes doesn't really matter too much to me. Where we live right now, we pay a huge amount simply for location. I would much rather take the money and sacrifice location and improve quality.

The biggest problem for my girlfriend and I is that we will (finances permitting) likely be more tempted to spend too much for aesthetic preference rather than value. For instance, we would easily pay for an apartment (based only on pictures in this discussion) like http://www.apartmentfinder.com/Iowa/Des-Moines-Apartments/Ap-Lofts-Apartments or http://www.apartmentfinder.com/Iowa/Des-Moines-Apartments/Gateway-Lofts-Apartments before we paid a much lower price for an apartment like this http://www.apartments.com/summary.aspx?page=summary&property=211726.1&SearchCriteria=FaHZeU52QYf8v2Ctznzh9PgKOTrGMO7URifP4ksbPaFXOXcrWX10hbJspZJRqr5z50uSlaOUHoxswhE-%7cVtl%2fdPofnOd0SBfHqnJntlN9bKzTEOlHbwPIuCssM9Tr2ArRnWGqd1hYLSEYRYNKpT9NEvEggx-%7cHCJgx8GQRMJ4t6fU%3d&prvpg=1067&sid=5be045f4-4f57-48c7-a2d2-fe4f094e5f73&productId=P&Hidebackresults=T&pdriveit=0&pdrivefrm=1#MenuItem.

Any recommendations/idea if there are some better priced apartments that don't look like they are 30 years old in the areas you mentioned?

User avatar
vpintz
Posts: 1408
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:51 am

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby vpintz » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:53 am

Opie wrote:I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Hubbell Tower isn't as great as it seems.

1) parking isn't close and it's not free. You could rely in public transit, but after about 6, there is only one bus that goes that way and the stop is 6 blocks away through a bad neighborhood.

2) the facilities aren't as nice as they look online. I walk through that building daily and it isn't that great. Also, the washers that they show online? I'm relatively certain that those are the only washers in the building. I'm not aware of any laundromats downtown.

3) there's nowhere to buy groceries, etc. The nearest grocery store is at least a mile away. In walking distance is a daylight only convenience store in the skywalk and a Walgreens that is closed when I walk by at 8:00 PM. I'm not sure how late it's really open.

4) the management company has kind of a bad reputation in town.

5) all of the units are small. Even the two bedroom ones.

6) the entire building is income restricted, so most of us don't qualify.

I'll try to get more info about them, but in general, I don't recommend living downtown for most people.

Ah, thanks! The parking part doesn't matter to me--I don't have a car--but thanks for your input =D I would prefer to live downtown or in east village/Sherman hill or something like that...hmm, I'll figure something out.

Semi-related: opie (or any current student/person who lives in DSM), do you know if a lot of law students live in the drake west village apartments (and if so, if they liked it, etc.) I was looking into those because I am lazy and don't want to shop for furniture my first year, ngl.

User avatar
shredderrrrrr
Posts: 4673
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:36 am

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby shredderrrrrr » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:02 am

vpintz wrote:
Opie wrote:I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Hubbell Tower isn't as great as it seems.

1) parking isn't close and it's not free. You could rely in public transit, but after about 6, there is only one bus that goes that way and the stop is 6 blocks away through a bad neighborhood.

2) the facilities aren't as nice as they look online. I walk through that building daily and it isn't that great. Also, the washers that they show online? I'm relatively certain that those are the only washers in the building. I'm not aware of any laundromats downtown.

3) there's nowhere to buy groceries, etc. The nearest grocery store is at least a mile away. In walking distance is a daylight only convenience store in the skywalk and a Walgreens that is closed when I walk by at 8:00 PM. I'm not sure how late it's really open.

4) the management company has kind of a bad reputation in town.

5) all of the units are small. Even the two bedroom ones.

6) the entire building is income restricted, so most of us don't qualify.

I'll try to get more info about them, but in general, I don't recommend living downtown for most people.

Ah, thanks! The parking part doesn't matter to me--I don't have a car--but thanks for your input =D I would prefer to live downtown or in east village/Sherman hill or something like that...hmm, I'll figure something out.

Semi-related: opie (or any current student/person who lives in DSM), do you know if a lot of law students live in the drake west village apartments (and if so, if they liked it, etc.) I was looking into those because I am lazy and don't want to shop for furniture my first year, ngl.


I'm curious as well. While I don't like them being pre-furnished, I was curious if many grad students lived there or if they were just UG party apartments. Also, the website lists 4 bedroom apartments as cheapest, with the rent price going up with studios being the most expensive? Lol how does that work?

User avatar
vpintz
Posts: 1408
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:51 am

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby vpintz » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:07 am

shredderrrrrr wrote:
vpintz wrote:
Opie wrote:I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Hubbell Tower isn't as great as it seems.

1) parking isn't close and it's not free. You could rely in public transit, but after about 6, there is only one bus that goes that way and the stop is 6 blocks away through a bad neighborhood.

2) the facilities aren't as nice as they look online. I walk through that building daily and it isn't that great. Also, the washers that they show online? I'm relatively certain that those are the only washers in the building. I'm not aware of any laundromats downtown.

3) there's nowhere to buy groceries, etc. The nearest grocery store is at least a mile away. In walking distance is a daylight only convenience store in the skywalk and a Walgreens that is closed when I walk by at 8:00 PM. I'm not sure how late it's really open.

4) the management company has kind of a bad reputation in town.

5) all of the units are small. Even the two bedroom ones.

6) the entire building is income restricted, so most of us don't qualify.

I'll try to get more info about them, but in general, I don't recommend living downtown for most people.

Ah, thanks! The parking part doesn't matter to me--I don't have a car--but thanks for your input =D I would prefer to live downtown or in east village/Sherman hill or something like that...hmm, I'll figure something out.

Semi-related: opie (or any current student/person who lives in DSM), do you know if a lot of law students live in the drake west village apartments (and if so, if they liked it, etc.) I was looking into those because I am lazy and don't want to shop for furniture my first year, ngl.


I'm curious as well. While I don't like them being pre-furnished, I was curious if many grad students lived there or if they were just UG party apartments. Also, the website lists 4 bedroom apartments as cheapest, with the rent price going up with studios being the most expensive? Lol how does that work?

Idk, but that's how the dorms/campus owned apartments at both my old and current UG are priced. I wonder if the rent prices they give online is per person or per unit...because if it's per person, it would make sense for the 4 BR to be cheaper than a studio (I guess).




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”