Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
neeko

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Postby neeko » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:38 pm

I would have been thinking that they hated splitters and I wasn't getting anything!

I almost wish the status checker never changed so I didn't know I was supposed to be waiting for something. This week has gone so slow.

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:47 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:Woah, do they have different shades of folders?! Lol mine was a strange shade of blue...like a sky blue. Darker than UNC blue, but not by much. Totally not Drake blue.

Anything to keep me from typing my UG final papers....

xDDD we need to do some sort of color coding. mine was actual dark/drake blue. :3

that having been said, it's weird that they would mail me my scholly info with my acceptance, but not do that for you guys...maybe it's because I got in earlier? idk Dx

neeko

Postby neeko » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:39 pm

Got my folder today! So happy. Now the second wait begins.

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:42 pm

neeko wrote:Got my folder today! So happy. Now the second wait begins.

Congrats! =D

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:46 pm

The person I spoke to actually offered to scan my scholarship notification and send it to me over email so I didn't have to wait again. I obviously said yes, and boyyyyy was I surprised.

I got offered an Opperman Scholarship. I am seriously through the roof right now. I don't think there is any way I would be able to turn that down. I am on cloud nine.

neeko

Postby neeko » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:53 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:The person I spoke to actually offered to scan my scholarship notification and send it to me over email so I didn't have to wait again. I obviously said yes, and boyyyyy was I surprised.

I got offered an Opperman Scholarship. I am seriously through the roof right now. I don't think there is any way I would be able to turn that down. I am on cloud nine.

Wow!!!!!!!!! Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just emailed admissions. Hopefully they will send mine through email.

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:54 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:The person I spoke to actually offered to scan my scholarship notification and send it to me over email so I didn't have to wait again. I obviously said yes, and boyyyyy was I surprised.

Wow! That's awesome! Congrats!! Maybe it's Drake for you after all!

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:06 pm

Opie wrote:

Thanks! Unless Iowa offers a lot of money, I will likely be Drake-bound. I know lots of people downplay the role of tuition costs, but I want to avoid debt by any means necessary. And I think Drake is a great school, despite the negative reputation it recieves on a site like this.

Hold out hope everyone! I wasn't a super-applicant by any means. I had good numbers but no true work experience, diversity, or strong softs. I was a pretty typical applicant. I hope to see some big money coming your guys' ways!

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:44 pm

That is so awesome, congrats! Like, ten shades of congrats! =D you should be hella proud of yourself, that's so great =D

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:15 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
Opie wrote:

Thanks! Unless Iowa offers a lot of money, I will likely be Drake-bound. I know lots of people downplay the role of tuition costs, but I want to avoid debt by any means necessary. And I think Drake is a great school, despite the negative reputation it recieves on a site like this.

Hold out hope everyone! I wasn't a super-applicant by any means. I had good numbers but no true work experience, diversity, or strong softs. I was a pretty typical applicant. I hope to see some big money coming your guys' ways!

I think Iowa will give you a pretty good offer too. Most people on LSN that have your numbers withdrew from Drake last year.

Drake is an awesome school though for anyone that is fine with staying in Iowa. It's the best-placing school for Des Moines. The thing I would look at the most is the risk of not being in the top third. At Iowa you will be in a better place at in-state than you would be at Drake.

neeko

Postby neeko » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:16 pm

Shedder, did you email admissions or someone else for scholly info?

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:40 pm

neeko wrote:Shedder, did you email admissions or someone else for scholly info?

I emailed Andrew English. He has helped me a lot through the process and is a great guy.

neeko

Postby neeko » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:41 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:

I emailed Andrew English. He has helped me a lot through the process and is a great guy.

Figures. I emailed him earlier and he's out of the office until the 25th. I must have just missed him! Maybe the admissions people can still email it to me.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:48 pm

Opie wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:
Opie wrote:

I think Iowa will give you a pretty good offer too. Most people on LSN that have your numbers withdrew from Drake last year.

Drake is an awesome school though for anyone that is fine with staying in Iowa. It's the best-placing school for Des Moines. The thing I would look at the most is the risk of not being in the top third. At Iowa you will be in a better place at in-state than you would be at Drake.

My thought is that, and lots of people probably disagree, if you're not in the top third, you're going to be pretty screwed (in this economy) most anywhere outside of the T14. While Iowa would totally be a better situation without scholarships in the bottom 2/3, I can't imagine it being much rosier. I know it's impossible to completely control whether or not you end up in the top third, but I think if you find yourself outside of the top third in a non-T14 school without a scholarship, you'd almost be better off dropping out. For someone who fears debt as much as me, I would sooner drop out than eat thousands of dollars worth of debt and struggle to maintain a decent position in the class. Some people are riskier, but I play it safe in regards to finances lol.

Maybe I'll just play hardball and demand the conditions be removed? Lol, I wish.

But I would love to stay in Iowa. While I love Minneapolis, Des Moines midlaw sounds pretty freakin nice.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:49 pm

neeko wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:

Figures. I emailed him earlier and he's out of the office until the 25th. I must have just missed him! Maybe the admissions people can still email it to me.

Seriously?? The 25th?? Man, that's bad luck. Hopefully someone else will respond back to you.

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:30 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:But I would love to stay in Iowa. While I love Minneapolis, Des Moines midlaw sounds pretty freakin nice.

If you can get top 10%, Nyemaster Goode at $99k is yours.

neeko

Postby neeko » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:10 am

Just heard back from them and she is expecting to mail out the scholarships today. Am I the only one waiting on this in here?

DportIA

Postby DportIA » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:37 pm

I just received a combination Opportunity scholarship and General Law scholarship for full tuition and fees at Drake. They had emailed the letter to my mailing address, which I am not at, so they scanned it an e-mailed it. That brings me to full tuition scholarships at Nebraska, Creighton, and Drake. I really want to see what Iowa offers, in addition to a million other schools.

neeko

Postby neeko » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:24 pm

My letter got here fast! 20K per year

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:06 pm

neeko wrote:My letter got here fast! 20K per year

Congrats!

Opie

Postby Opie » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:31 am

Anybody heard anything more? I'm still not even in review. It sucks too because in playing with the numbers, I am starting to lean toward Drake if they offer me a good package.

I heard that they're having their accreditation from the ABA right now, so that might be delaying things somewhat. I'd really like to know what I'm working with though.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:44 am

Opie wrote:Anybody heard anything more? I'm still not even in review. It sucks too because in playing with the numbers, I am starting to lean toward Drake if they offer me a good package.

I heard that they're having their accreditation from the ABA right now, so that might be delaying things somewhat. I'd really like to know what I'm working with though.

Man, that's really strange. To be honest, this whole cycle has been really confusing for Drake. When I talked to them earlier this year (about whether retaking the LSAT in October and getting my app in later would hurt my chances at $), they said they wouldn't even be reviewing applications until Jan 2012. But judging by all the activity, they clearly didn't just accept a few qualified applicants. Maybe they did a first wave and are now waiting until after the new year?

If it gives you hope, my status checker said they would render a decision within 4 weeks of my app going complete. Does yours say that? And has it been 4 weeks since you've been complete? No idea how strictly they adhere to this, but at least it's something to contact them about.

Opie

Postby Opie » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:58 am

shredderrrrrr wrote:
Opie wrote:Anybody heard anything more? I'm still not even in review. It sucks too because in playing with the numbers, I am starting to lean toward Drake if they offer me a good package.

Man, that's really strange. To be honest, this whole cycle has been really confusing for Drake. When I talked to them earlier this year (about whether retaking the LSAT in October and getting my app in later would hurt my chances at $), they said they wouldn't even be reviewing applications until Jan 2012. But judging by all the activity, they clearly didn't just accept a few qualified applicants. Maybe they did a first wave and are now waiting until after the new year?

If it gives you hope, my status checker said they would render a decision within 4 weeks of my app going complete. Does yours say that? And has it been 4 weeks since you've been complete? No idea how strictly they adhere to this, but at least it's something to contact them about.

Mine does say that. And no, it hasn't been 4 weeks. It's only been 17 days. I'm just really impatient because Iowa and Drake are the only schools I am really seriously considering. I'm also waiting on a scholarship offer from Iowa too though, and I'm sure that if I get anything at all it won't be until March.

The main reason I want the Drake offer so badly is so I can start comparing it to Iowa at sticker. I'm already working up an analysis of where people at the firms in town came from. I'm about half way through Nyemaster Goode and it's coming out to about 35% Drake and 50% Iowa. The Drake grads seem more likely to have more achievements in law school too (Order of the Coif, Law Review, etc.), but this could be self-selection as the highest ranked Iowa grads probably went to Chicago or another city. The Iowa grads all have at least one accomplishment though. It's more like Iowa grads were associate editors of the Law Review, and Drake grads were Editor-in-Chief plus Order of the Coif. YMMV

I'll be posting my full results when finished in the Choosing a Law School forum.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:37 pm

Opie wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:

Mine does say that. And no, it hasn't been 4 weeks. It's only been 17 days. I'm just really impatient because Iowa and Drake are the only schools I am really seriously considering. I'm also waiting on a scholarship offer from Iowa too though, and I'm sure that if I get anything at all it won't be until March.

The main reason I want the Drake offer so badly is so I can start comparing it to Iowa at sticker. I'm already working up an analysis of where people at the firms in town came from. I'm about half way through Nyemaster Goode and it's coming out to about 35% Drake and 50% Iowa. The Drake grads seem more likely to have more achievements in law school too (Order of the Coif, Law Review, etc.), but this could be self-selection as the highest ranked Iowa grads probably went to Chicago or another city. The Iowa grads all have at least one accomplishment though. It's more like Iowa grads were associate editors of the Law Review, and Drake grads were Editor-in-Chief plus Order of the Coif. YMMV

I'll be posting my full results when finished in the Choosing a Law School forum.

I know what you mean. While I already have all my information from Drake, I want to hear from Iowa before I rule it out completely. I've always loved Drake and was actually going to go to UG there (until my gf pulled me to a different school). It's a great school for my ambitions and with the offer I got, it'd be hard to turn down. But, like you pointed out, there are advantages to Iowa.

If we're going to be waiting until next March to find out though, I likely will have withdrawn my Iowa application. I don't want to be deciding between schools a few months before I start. Hell, I'd like to have a new apartment lined up by March.

apeopleshistory

Postby apeopleshistory » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:47 pm

Last edited by apeopleshistory on Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”