Drake c/o 2015 applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
DocHawkeye

Silver

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Post by DocHawkeye » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:36 pm

I appled to both schools last cycle, was waitlisted at Iowa (and ultimately rejected) and got significant money from Drake. My advice is, before making a selection, visit every school you are seriously considering. I think that you're going to find a material difference in the quality of student and the quality of teacher between Iowa and Drake and that difference, in both teacher and student, is why I elected not to go to Drake even though it would have been the least expensive school for me to attend.

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:30 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:I appled to both schools last cycle, was waitlisted at Iowa (and ultimately rejected) and got significant money from Drake. My advice is, before making a selection, visit every school you are seriously considering. I think that you're going to find a material difference in the quality of student and the quality of teacher between Iowa and Drake and that difference, in both teacher and student, is why I elected not to go to Drake even though it would have been the least expensive school for me to attend.
I think that makes sense. I think, when compared directly, Iowa is pretty handedly the better school. Yet i believe there are other things that can determine student success at school (such as class size) that can influence your decision. It's no use going to a great school if you'll do terribly there. But overall, I think you're right aside from the fact that you downplay the importance of money. Not having to take out a single loan for my education sounds pretty dang good.

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:23 pm

I've already experienced a good deal of this. If I pick Drake, it will be a purely financial decision.

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:19 am

Anyone know if admissions is closed for the holiday yet? Still just complete.

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:31 pm

Opie wrote:Anyone know if admissions is closed for the holiday yet? Still just complete.
No clue here, but I would assume so. Also, your wait has been torturous.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:58 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
Opie wrote:Anyone know if admissions is closed for the holiday yet? Still just complete.
It really has been. I feel for ya Opie.

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:32 pm

Awww... Thanks guys. I feel like it should be a no-brainer and that is worrying me. I'm on a first name basis with the people in admissions, I live here, my numbers are solid but not too solid, I have some small legacy things, and my last name is the same as the name of a building there. What more is needed?

YankeeFan2

Bronze

Post by YankeeFan2 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:37 pm

Got packet in the mail with nice scholarship information yesterday. Drake does have some good things to draw me there -- but still too early to make a decision.

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:43 pm

YankeeFan2 wrote:Got packet in the mail with nice scholarship information yesterday. Drake does have some good things to draw me there -- but still too early to make a decision.
Not sure where you're from, but if you don't have ties to Iowa you may want to look at your employment prospects. Drake places well here, but not much of anywhere else.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

vpintz

Silver

Post by vpintz » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:43 pm

neeko wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:
+1. Maybe it's a way for Drake to get you that much more excited when you get your Opperman! ;]

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:02 pm

vpintz wrote:
neeko wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:
+1. Maybe it's a way for Drake to get you that much more excited when you get your Opperman! ;]
I hope so, but I'm 2/.23 lower than Shrederrr, so I think my offer will be full tuition instead.
They COULD be holding it to see if peole like Hawklaw withdraw though.

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:27 pm

I hope so, but I'm 2/.23 lower than Shrederrr, so I think my offer will be full tuition instead.
I think your chances are better than you think. Not trying to sound pompous or anything here, but from the looks of it, I was one of the early people to get awarded the scholarship. I would assume that of the first 5 they give out, no more than 1 accept it. Assuming the other people had similar numbers as me, they likely got big money/full rides at much better (T-30) schools. I think the chances of someone having high numbers AND having no aspirations to move outside of Iowa/go to a bigger school/work biglaw are very slim. Judging by lawschoolnumbers, lots of people turn it down. I can only imagine this would make the GPA/LSAT requirements drop.

FWIW, I thought I stood a chance of getting the Opperman after my first LSAT (162). I really think a 164 is plenty good enough to get it.

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:28 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
I think your chances are better than you think. Not trying to sound pompous or anything here, but from the looks of it, I was one of the early people to get awarded the scholarship. I would assume that of the first 5 they give out, no more than 1 accept it. Assuming the other people had similar numbers as me, they likely got big money/full rides at much better (T-30) schools. I think the chances of someone having high numbers AND having no aspirations to move outside of Iowa/go to a bigger school/work biglaw are very slim. Judging by lawschoolnumbers, lots of people turn it down. I can only imagine this would make the GPA/LSAT requirements drop.

FWIW, I thought I stood a chance of getting the Opperman after my first LSAT (162). I really think a 164 is plenty good enough to get it.
That's not pompous. You're definitely one of the first to get offers this year. hawklaw was first, but he arlready had acceptances to GULC and Duke whent they offered it to him. I'm sure I'm on the list for it, but probably toward the bottom of the list. Realistically though, I'm probably more like who takes it. I have a friend though that had a 160/3.4 and only got 18k/year. That was in 2007 though before the shit hit the fan.

I'm honestly hoping they're holding my app for one of the Opperman spots when someone withdraws. I hope I don't have to wait until seat deposits are due for that though. Did they give you a deadline to accept?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:52 pm

Opie wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:

That's not pompous. You're definitely one of the first to get offers this year. hawklaw was first, but he arlready had acceptances to GULC and Duke whent they offered it to him. I'm sure I'm on the list for it, but probably toward the bottom of the list. Realistically though, I'm probably more like who takes it. I have a friend though that had a 160/3.4 and only got 18k/year. That was in 2007 though before the shit hit the fan.

I'm honestly hoping they're holding my app for one of the Opperman spots when someone withdraws. I hope I don't have to wait until seat deposits are due for that though. Did they give you a deadline to accept?
April 1st.

I wonder if they only hand out 5 Oppermans and then re-offer them only once they have been turned down or if they hand out more than 5 under the assumption that not everyone will accept them. I know little about the process, but I would assume the latter could be true. I mean they do it, after all, in regards to acceptances.

Hopefully those that don't accept will turn them down quickly for waiting students like you. I'm going to try to let them know as soon as possible, but it very likely will be to accept it.

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:07 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
Opie wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:

April 1st.

I wonder if they only hand out 5 Oppermans and then re-offer them only once they have been turned down or if they hand out more than 5 under the assumption that not everyone will accept them. I know little about the process, but I would assume the latter could be true. I mean they do it, after all, in regards to acceptances.

Hopefully those that don't accept will turn them down quickly for waiting students like you. I'm going to try to let them know as soon as possible, but it very likely will be to accept it.
I'm hoping hawklaw declines it soon. Drake is the only non-T14 he applied to and is already in at NYU, Duke, and GULC. He can't still be considering Drake.

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:17 pm

I'm hoping hawklaw declines it soon. Drake is the only non-T14 he applied to and is already in at NYU, Duke, and GULC. He can't still be considering Drake.
Lol with the schools he applied to, I doubt he has any intention of staying in Iowa. If that's the case, I don't even know he would bother applying to Drake in the first place.

DportIA

Bronze

Post by DportIA » Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:06 am

I am feeling very inclined to stay inside the state after graduation, and after full tuition to Drake, Iowa would need to throw me some $$$ to go to Iowa City.

Does anyone know how the Des Moines/ Iowa statewide legal market is? Iowa weathered the recession in general better than the nation, does that hold true for the legal market, too?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:35 am

DportIA wrote:I am feeling very inclined to stay inside the state after graduation, and after full tuition to Drake, Iowa would need to throw me some $$$ to go to Iowa City.

Does anyone know how the Des Moines/ Iowa statewide legal market is? Iowa weathered the recession in general better than the nation, does that hold true for the legal market, too?
Not really. There seem to be a decent number of corporate positions at financial companies and insurance companies. There are about 4 big firms in Des Moines and there seem to be around 4-6 associate positions a year between them. Other than that, you're on your own.

BiglawOrBust

Bronze

Post by BiglawOrBust » Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:13 pm

This is the only Drake worth anyone's affiliation:

--ImageRemoved--

Psych...I'm just playing, dudes/dudettes. But you should set your avatars to him if you're admitted!

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:48 am

I'm seriously hoping I get in soon. It's officially past the four week timeframe they give. This does make me hopeful that they are waiting for Opperman scholarships the accept or decline. When would you guys say I should call?

DportIA

Bronze

Post by DportIA » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:55 am

Opie wrote:I'm seriously hoping I get in soon. It's officially past the four week timeframe they give. This does make me hopeful that they are waiting for Opperman scholarships the accept or decline. When would you guys say I should call?
Fwiw: they took 9 weeks on mine before they gave me acceptance/full tuition. Buena suerte usted.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:07 pm

DportIA wrote:
Opie wrote:I'm seriously hoping I get in soon. It's officially past the four week timeframe they give. This does make me hopeful that they are waiting for Opperman scholarships the accept or decline. When would you guys say I should call?
Fwiw: they took 9 weeks on mine before they gave me acceptance/full tuition. Buena suerte usted.
Thanks! That makes me feel a lot better!

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:57 pm

So, I'm thinking about emailing admissions. Bad idea?

DocHawkeye

Silver

Post by DocHawkeye » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:05 pm

Opie wrote:So, I'm thinking about emailing admissions. Bad idea?
No, as long as you're tasteful. I emailed admissions at a couple of schools with positive results.

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:12 pm

Found out from Drake that their adcomm doesn't meet for all of December and the first half of January due to finals and grading. They reconvene in mid-January and get decisions to you within two business days of the meetings.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”