Drake c/o 2015 applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
vpintz

Silver

Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Post by vpintz » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:42 am

I didn't see a thread for people applying to Drake for the class of 2015, so I figured I would start one.

I applied in September, went complete in October, and just received a nice big envelope with an acceptance and a $10,000 scholly. (I'm from Des Moines, so Drake is more or less my safety option, as I wouldn't mind living/practicing in Des Moines.)

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Post by shredderrrrrr » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:27 am

Wait, I thought Drake didn't review applications Janurary?

vpintz

Silver

Post by vpintz » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:35 am

I thought the same thing, which is why it came as such a shock. (Hell, even the "app received" email stated that decisions would be mailed out starting mid-January.) Believe me, I'm still convinced the adcomm is just messing with me. But my status checker says "decision rendered," with a decision date of 11/7, and I got the acceptance package yesterday at my home address.

To be fair, I have strong ties to Des Moines, my dad went to Drake for undergrad, and my mom used to work in the law admissions office (all of this was over a decade ago, but still), so that could have had an effect.

(If you're still skeptical--which is fair, I would be too!--I can upload a screenshot of my status checker or something. :3 )

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:44 am

Man, that's crazy but I believe you. Congrats! Mind sharing your stats? Maybe you were an applicant they wanted to snatch up right away!

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:46 am

I re-read my email from Drake and it said:

"Please keep in mind that our Admission Committee will start meeting on a regular basis in mid-January, 2012."

From the wording, it suggests that there is a possibility for them to ocassionaly meet earlier. Man, I wish I would've submitted sooner! My app just went complete yesterday.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vpintz

Silver

Post by vpintz » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:41 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:I re-read my email from Drake and it said:

"Please keep in mind that our Admission Committee will start meeting on a regular basis in mid-January, 2012."

From the wording, it suggests that there is a possibility for them to ocassionaly meet earlier. Man, I wish I would've submitted sooner! My app just went complete yesterday.
Ah, good point! (And thanks! ^^ ) Either way, I'm not questioning it...but still in shock. ;]
My numbers are 154 (yes, I know, should have retaken)/3.7 ish. I had pretty good softs, but nothing stellar or fantastic.

Hmm...I understand the feeling of "man, should have applied earlier," but at least it's still fairly early in the cycle! Maybe you'll get a nice Christmas present from the Drake adcomm. ;] (My decision was rendered under a month of my app going to complete, iirc, if it's any comfort.)

Gov2408

New

Post by Gov2408 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:04 am

Hey vpintz-

What do you think my chances are of being accepted to Drake?

My LSAC GPA is 3.92 (3.94), and my LSAT is 153. I am from Iowa and have great softs, as well as internships at Legal Aid, Attorney General's Office, and a U.S. Senator's Office.

Thanks!

vpintz

Silver

Post by vpintz » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:27 pm

Gov2408 wrote:Hey vpintz-

What do you think my chances are of being accepted to Drake?

My LSAC GPA is 3.92 (3.94), and my LSAT is 153. I am from Iowa and have great softs, as well as internships at Legal Aid, Attorney General's Office, and a U.S. Senator's Office.

Thanks!
Ah, man...obviously, I can't give you a for-sure palm reading, but--my stats are 154/3.7, so...if I got accepted, you probably would be, too, especially since you have a lot of connections to the state, or at least more than me (I lived in Iowa until I was 9, most of my family is in Des Moines, my dad went to Drake, my mom worked there for a bit, but where you're still an Iowa resident, I would imagine that would give you a bit of a boost.). I would say definitely apply, and don't be surprised if you get accepted!

That having been said--I strongly urge you to retake the LSAT. You have an AMAZING GPA, and I would hate to see such an awesome GPA go to waste with a low LSAT score. Of course I know that you have your own reasons for retaking or not retaking, and of course you can chose not to retake, but that's just my advice. In any case, definitely apply and (hopefully/probably) enjoy Drake! ;]

/novel of a response, sorry :c

northerniowan

Bronze

Post by northerniowan » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:42 am

I was also surprised at the end of last week when I received my packet in the mail. I wasn't expecting to hear until January.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:51 am

I was also surprised at the end of last week when I received my packet in the mail. I wasn't expecting to hear until January.
You got one too?! Congrats! Do you go to UNI?

vpintz

Silver

Post by vpintz » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:41 am

northerniowan wrote:I was also surprised at the end of last week when I received my packet in the mail. I wasn't expecting to hear until January.
Haha, that's what happened to me, too! Congrats on your acceptance. :]

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:08 am

Hmm.. Wondering if I will get one soon... I think the admissions office has certain criteria where they can accept certain candidates before the full committee meets. They have two full-time admissions officers (one has a JD from Drake), so that's enough to make a decision.

Hawklaw3 confirmed today that it WAS the Opperman scholarship he received and that it came via email (not sure if this is because he is in France right now or not).

ETA: would everyone please update/verify their LSN?

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:08 am

Opie: Did you turn in the general scholarship form? I remember asking you guys in the Iowa forum if you needed to turn in anything besides the application itself and everyone said no. However, I just received a packet of information from Drake encouraging me to apply for the Opperman Schoalrship. I emailed Andrew English and asked if anything else was necessary and he said I needed to turn in the general scholarship form. Here is a link to it if you haven't turned it in yet. http://www.law.drake.edu/admissions/doc ... ipInfo.pdf.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:09 am

shredderrrrrr wrote:Opie: Did you turn in the general scholarship form? I remember asking you guys in the Iowa forum if you needed to turn in anything besides the application itself and everyone said no. However, I just received a packet of information from Drake encouraging me to apply for the Opperman Schoalrship. I emailed Andrew English and asked if anything else was necessary and he said I needed to turn in the general scholarship form. Here is a link to it if you haven't turned it in yet. http://www.law.drake.edu/admissions/doc ... ipInfo.pdf.
WOW! Thanks for the reminder! I had forgotten completely!

Andrew is really helpful. He's the one with a JD from Drake.

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:14 am

You guys are scaring me, are you sure something else needs to be turned in? I asked Andrew about this a few weeks ago and here is what he wrote me back.
You will only need to submit a separate application for the Opperman Scholarship if you are the daughter of a West Publishing Company or West Group employee or the daughter of an Article III federal judge. If you fall into one of these categories you will need to fill out the scholarship form linked at the top of http://www.law.drake.edu/admissions/?pageID=opperman. If you do not fall into one of these categories, you will be considered for the scholarship automatically based on your application for admission.

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:17 am

neeko wrote:You guys are scaring me, are you sure something else needs to be turned in? I asked Andrew about this a few weeks ago and here is what he wrote me back.
You will only need to submit a separate application for the Opperman Scholarship if you are the daughter of a West Publishing Company or West Group employee or the daughter of an Article III federal judge. If you fall into one of these categories you will need to fill out the scholarship form linked at the top of http://www.law.drake.edu/admissions/?pageID=opperman. If you do not fall into one of these categories, you will be considered for the scholarship automatically based on your application for admission.
Hmm... That could be true. Well, I'm assuming it is because he would know. There's the Forrest/Hayes scholarship though on the form too. You should apply for one of those.

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:21 am

Ohh thank you! I read that quickly and thought they were both only for Iowa HS and College people.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:39 pm

Yeah I'm not trying to scare anyone, I just want to make sure everyone gets a fair shot at $! I'm not sure if you have to, but I would just to be safe. In the letter they sent me about the Opperman Scholarship, it reads, "To be considered for this prestigious award, you need only to submit your application for admission, along with the general scholarship information sheet, to Drake Law School."

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:46 pm

They make it confusing. Does anyone know the numbers of the people who usually accept it? I cant find them anywhere. I have a ridiculous GPA but an okay LSAT, I wonder if they can use the LSAT to offset the GPA a bit.

northerniowan

Bronze

Post by northerniowan » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:46 pm

You got one too?! Congrats! Do you go to UNI?
You bet I go to UNI! And congrats to everyone else who got in.

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:18 pm

They make it confusing. Does anyone know the numbers of the people who usually accept it? I cant find them anywhere. I have a ridiculous GPA but an okay LSAT, I wonder if they can use the LSAT to offset the GPA a bit.
I have wondered the same thing! I could only find some information from LSN. Based on those who listed the amounts of money they were given, here is what I found:

2010-2011:
167 3.95 Offered, denied

2009-2010:
166 3.75 Offered, denied
164 3.8 Offered, denied (I believe)

2008-2009:
170 3.52 Offered, denied

2007-2008:
161 3.87 Offered, ?

I can't find any numbers of people who actually accepted it! I would assume they are lower than these numbers, but I have no clue.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:43 pm

I'm not sure of the numbers of people who accepted it either, but I'd love to know.

I do know that there are a couple of Opperman Scholars working as associates at Nyemaster Goode. Wouldn't that be nice? $90k to start in Des Moines!

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:44 pm

I really hope since all those people denied it that the actual numbers are much lower. I wish they posted it on their page somewhere.

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:15 pm

I just went through LSN and there aren't any high award people on any year that accepted. Grr..

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:12 pm

Here's a question for you folks: I got the received email from Chris Miller on the 14th and haven't heard anything since. Does Drake use a status checker? I would think that they would have my completed app by now.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”