Drake c/o 2015 applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
shredderrrrrr

Gold

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Post by shredderrrrrr » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:25 pm

And I'm all set for ASW!

I'm not attending the morning activities, then doing the luncheon, not doing the tour (already did one with Andrew), doing the mock class, doing the panel discussion, then doing the banquet. Room reserved for Saturday and I'm good to go!

Anyone else bringing a guest?

vpintz

Silver

Post by vpintz » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:31 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:And I'm all set for ASW!

I'm not attending the morning activities, then doing the luncheon, not doing the tour (already did one with Andrew), doing the mock class, doing the panel discussion, then doing the banquet. Room reserved for Saturday and I'm good to go!

Yay! =D I'll be guest-less. Probably skipping the morning stuff, maybe going to the luncheon. Definitely doing the tour and panel. Unsure on the mock class. And obviously doing the banquet.

vpintz

Silver

Post by vpintz » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:32 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:Woah, you're only 20 vpintz? Did you like skip a year? All the seniors I know (myself included) are 22 with a few old 21 year olds.
Yep and yep. I graduated high school a year early so I could GTFO of Pennsylvania as soon as possible.

DocHawkeye

Silver

Post by DocHawkeye » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:34 pm

vpintz wrote:

Yay! =D I'll be guest-less. Probably skipping the morning stuff, maybe going to the luncheon. Definitely doing the tour and panel. Unsure on the mock class. And obviously doing the banquet.
If you skip the oral argument before the Iowa Supreme Court, you will easily be missing out on the most impressive part of the entire event. I highly encourage you to go if at all possible.

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:49 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:
vpintz wrote:

If you skip the oral argument before the Iowa Supreme Court, you will easily be missing out on the most impressive part of the entire event. I highly encourage you to go if at all possible.
I will be at all events with my wife.
I have been to the tour and mock class before. I've been to a student panel before too, but this is supposed to be faculty and alumni as well.
The mock class will be with Dean Charlow so it will probably be family law. When I went last time, we went over custody hypos. Nothing to do with 1L really, and kind of non-standard for a law class.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DocHawkeye

Silver

Post by DocHawkeye » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:14 pm

Opie wrote:
DocHawkeye wrote:
vpintz wrote:

I have been to the tour and mock class before. I've been to a student panel before too, but this is supposed to be faculty and alumni as well.
The mock class will be with Dean Charlow so it will probably be family law. When I went last time, we went over custody hypos. Nothing to do with 1L really, and kind of non-standard for a law class.
I remember that mock class. It was more interesting than the real evidence class I sat in on where all they did was work problems out of the casebook. She actually makes some interesting points and does get you to think about how the law works. In reality, I'm not sure that it matters if its a 1L class you're seeing because, at this point in the year, you're probably not really going to understand what's going on anyhow.

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:52 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:
Opie wrote:
DocHawkeye wrote:
I remember that mock class. It was more interesting than the real evidence class I sat in on where all they did was work problems out of the casebook. She actually makes some interesting points and does get you to think about how the law works. In reality, I'm not sure that it matters if its a 1L class you're seeing because, at this point in the year, you're probably not really going to understand what's going on anyhow.
That's true, but it doesn't give you a feel for the type of classroom exchanges that are more common in 1L classes. I got the impression that it was selected to be as unintimidating as possible.

llachans

Silver

Post by llachans » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:53 pm

I applied last week with a 3.5/160. I know this is all speculation, but do you guys think I'll get an acceptance before ASW? I showed my gf Des Moines and told her about Drake and it's the first law school she's really excited about. I know it's so late in the cycle and I'm not sure what to expect.

Also, I continuously hear how great Drake's placement is in Des Moines. Does this hold true for government workers (specifically, I hope to take Drake's prosecution clinic and eventually work in the prosecutor's office)?

Thanks guys!

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:47 am

llachans wrote:I applied last week with a 3.5/160. I know this is all speculation, but do you guys think I'll get an acceptance before ASW? I showed my gf Des Moines and told her about Drake and it's the first law school she's really excited about. I know it's so late in the cycle and I'm not sure what to expect.

Also, I continuously hear how great Drake's placement is in Des Moines. Does this hold true for government workers (specifically, I hope to take Drake's prosecution clinic and eventually work in the prosecutor's office)?

Thanks guys!
I know a Prosecutor in Des Moines, and he went to ISU, then Drake. They're tough jobs to get, but I think Drake does just as well as anywhere else.

I don't think you'll have any trouble getting into Drake, even though it's late. Money may be a little lighter than it would have been early in the cycle, but the acceptance shouldn't be tough.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:38 pm

Crap! Full-tuition at Iowa. What to do???

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:58 am

Opie wrote:Crap! Full-tuition at Iowa. What to do???
Wow congrats! That's strange...full tuition at a T30 but not at a TTT. Awesome nonetheless.

I really don't know what to recommend. I'd still say Drake based on your goals and you current situation, but that's an interesting dilemma. Maybe talk to Drake about increasing the offer?

vpintz

Silver

Post by vpintz » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:50 am

shredderrrrrr wrote:
Opie wrote:Crap! Full-tuition at Iowa. What to do???
Wow congrats! That's strange...full tuition at a T30 but not at a TTT. Awesome nonetheless.

I really don't know what to recommend. I'd still say Drake based on your goals and you current situation, but that's an interesting dilemma. Maybe talk to Drake about increasing the offer?
All of this. Congrats, that's so great!

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:06 pm

Anybody know if Drake does Ford loans and how hard these are to get?

ETA: Ne'rmind, found it: http://www.law.drake.edu/admissions/?pageID=loans

Would like to know if these come standard though.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

vpintz

Silver

Post by vpintz » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:47 pm

Welp, looks like my lawl decision has been made for me. Got waitlisted at the one school I was really holding out for, after 6 months of waiting. Sigh. Buuuut at least I still have Drake! :3

Ironically enough, also just booked my flight for ASD.

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:13 pm

vpintz wrote:Welp, looks like my lawl decision has been made for me. Got waitlisted at the one school I was really holding out for, after 6 months of waiting. Sigh. Buuuut at least I still have Drake! :3

I'm sorry about Northeastern, but I'm way happy that you're coming to Drake!

I'm off work at 4:00 on that Friday. I'm not sure if you still need a ride, but I am available if you do.

I'm about 99% sure I'm going to Drake now. It's just the most financially viable option.

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:13 pm

Opie wrote:
vpintz wrote:Welp, looks like my lawl decision has been made for me. Got waitlisted at the one school I was really holding out for, after 6 months of waiting. Sigh. Buuuut at least I still have Drake! :3

I'm sorry about Northeastern, but I'm way happy that you're coming to Drake!

I'm off work at 4:00 on that Friday. I'm not sure if you still need a ride, but I am available if you do.

I'm about 99% sure I'm going to Drake now. It's just the most financially viable option.
And the most awesome option.

I'm 99% sure I'm going. Actually, 100%, I just haven't gotten around to putting in my deposit yet.

llachans

Silver

Post by llachans » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:24 pm

Just got accepted with 24k/year.

Super excited but a little concerned on the stips (top 35% for full renewal/top 40% for half renewal/top 50% ten percent renewal).

How is everyone else with the same stipulations feeling about it? I'm weighing two other schools that have no stipulations, so this is something huge to consider. I'm not sure how to approach this : /

Has anyone had luck with negotiating away the stips or for more money?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:14 pm

llachans wrote:Just got accepted with 24k/year.

Super excited but a little concerned on the stips (top 35% for full renewal/top 40% for half renewal/top 50% ten percent renewal).

How is everyone else with the same stipulations feeling about it? I'm weighing two other schools that have no stipulations, so this is something huge to consider. I'm not sure how to approach this : /

Has anyone had luck with negotiating away the stips or for more money?
Congrats!

Same stips here. I tried negotiating them and they made it sound as though they never even consider it.

With that said, I would be more drawn towards stipulation-free money if all else was equal. To be honest, I have heard lots of negative things about stipulations.

I am, however, still attending Drake. My thought is that if I am unable to maintain top 35-40%, I will have bigger problems than funding my education (i.e. employment). It may seem crazy, but I'm going in with the intention of dropping out if I am unable to manage top 35%. I think this differs by person though.

llachans

Silver

Post by llachans » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:38 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote: Congrats!

Same stips here. I tried negotiating them and they made it sound as though they never even consider it.

With that said, I would be more drawn towards stipulation-free money if all else was equal. To be honest, I have heard lots of negative things about stipulations.

I am, however, still attending Drake. My thought is that if I am unable to maintain top 35-40%, I will have bigger problems than funding my education (i.e. employment). It may seem crazy, but I'm going in with the intention of dropping out if I am unable to manage top 35%. I think this differs by person though.
Thanks! I'm very excited.

I agree with you to an extent, but for some reason top 40% seems much more manageable than a top 35%. Maybe that's just me. I was also curious as to why the GPA breakdowns were so low. It sounds easy enough to achieve a 3.06, but I also don't want to underestimate law school as so many 2 & 3Ls stress how arbitrary grades can be.

As of now, I'm leaning towards Drake. My other two options are MSU (loved it, but as I mentioned in this thread earlier, the LGBT laws are less than desirable) and University of Oregon (I'm really betting that my chances for employment would be much higher coming out of Drake).

Overall, I was very impressed with the Des Moines brochure they included. I lived in Iowa City for four years and never heard how cool of a city Des Moines was. I can't wait for the ASW to check out the school and city, and meet all of you :)

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:58 pm

llachans wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote: Congrats!

Thanks! I'm very excited.

I agree with you to an extent, but for some reason top 40% seems much more manageable than a top 35%. Maybe that's just me. I was also curious as to why the GPA breakdowns were so low. It sounds easy enough to achieve a 3.06, but I also don't want to underestimate law school as so many 2 & 3Ls stress how arbitrary grades can be.

As of now, I'm leaning towards Drake. My other two options are MSU (loved it, but as I mentioned in this thread earlier, the LGBT laws are less than desirable) and University of Oregon (I'm really betting that my chances for employment would be much higher coming out of Drake).

Overall, I was very impressed with the Des Moines brochure they included. I lived in Iowa City for four years and never heard how cool of a city Des Moines was. I can't wait for the ASW to check out the school and city, and meet all of you :)
Stips are stips, and they suck, but it can be done. Everything I've heard from Drake students is that it's not incredibly hard to keep the scholarships.

Regarding GPA: Most people in most law schools get all Bs. An A in a class means you did something truly exceptional compared to the other students.

Seems like Drake is going to be the LGBT school of the Midwest next year! Should be interesting. Des Moines is very LGBT friendly and Drake is representative of that, so it's a good place for you if that is a part of your needs.

vpintz

Silver

Post by vpintz » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:01 pm

Just made my hotel reservation for ASW! <3

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:07 pm

vpintz wrote:Just made my hotel reservation for ASW! <3
Yay! Still looking for something to do that night for everyone if people want to do things. What are people interested in? I know vpintz isn't legal to drink and Shredderrrr doesn't like to, so I'm thinking it will be a straight edge evening, which is fine by me.

vpintz

Silver

Post by vpintz » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:12 pm

Opie wrote:
Yay! Still looking for something to do that night for everyone if people want to do things. What are people interested in? I know vpintz isn't legal to drink and Shredderrrr doesn't like to, so I'm thinking it will be a straight edge evening, which is fine by me.
<3 thank you for remembering! I always feel so left out from the big kid's table. :[ but you know I'm in for TLS meetup madness, so.

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:22 pm

vpintz wrote:
Opie wrote:
<3 thank you for remembering! I always feel so left out from the big kid's table. :[ but you know I'm in for TLS meetup madness, so.
Of course!

This LGBT (and straight friendly) coffee shop has live music Friday night: http://www.ritualcafedsmiowa.com/

Here's the band's website:
http://www.gatehousesaints.com/

vpintz

Silver

Post by vpintz » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:25 pm

Opie wrote:
vpintz wrote:
Opie wrote:
Of course!

This LGBT (and straight friendly) coffee shop has live music Friday night: http://www.ritualcafedsmiowa.com/

Here's the band's website:
http://www.gatehousesaints.com/
Fantastic. Will be bookmarking for future reference =D

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”