Drake c/o 2015 applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
vpintz

Silver

Re: Drake c/o 2015 applicants

Post by vpintz » Wed May 23, 2012 9:23 pm

Also. MOVING TRUCK IS PACKED. And 'lectric service is turned on. Shit's getting real. =D

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Wed May 23, 2012 10:21 pm

vpintz wrote:Also. MOVING TRUCK IS PACKED. And 'lectric service is turned on. Shit's getting real. =D
Very real!

llachans

Silver

Post by llachans » Thu May 24, 2012 11:41 am

Opie wrote:
I'm really sorry about your girlfriend llachans. :( Obviously I don't know anything about the relationship, but maybe it will be for the better? Des Moines is not Chicago, but as you said, that can be a good thing too. Des Moines in general and Drake in particular seem to me to have a good GBLT scene. I'll take you to the GBLT hangouts if you like that sort of thing. I enjoy the Blazing Saddle sometimes even thought I'm straight. Also, if you're into religion, I go to a church with a lesbian minister. There might be some singles there, though I really don't know. We're the opposite of judgy if anyone wants that sort of experience.
I'm not a huge Chicago fan. I absolutely love the size of Des Moines. It's big enough to always have things going on, but small enough for you to still bump into familiar faces. Hm. Out of curiosity, what denomination is your church? There were a few LGBT-headed churches in Iowa City. One of them was Catholic...which was one of the most interesting church-going experiences I've had.

llachans

Silver

Post by llachans » Thu May 24, 2012 11:59 am

vpintz wrote:Also. MOVING TRUCK IS PACKED. And 'lectric service is turned on. Shit's getting real. =D
So exciting!!!!

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Thu May 24, 2012 12:13 pm

llachans wrote:
Opie wrote:
I'm really sorry about your girlfriend llachans. :( Obviously I don't know anything about the relationship, but maybe it will be for the better? Des Moines is not Chicago, but as you said, that can be a good thing too. Des Moines in general and Drake in particular seem to me to have a good GBLT scene. I'll take you to the GBLT hangouts if you like that sort of thing. I enjoy the Blazing Saddle sometimes even thought I'm straight. Also, if you're into religion, I go to a church with a lesbian minister. There might be some singles there, though I really don't know. We're the opposite of judgy if anyone wants that sort of experience.
I'm not a huge Chicago fan. I absolutely love the size of Des Moines. It's big enough to always have things going on, but small enough for you to still bump into familiar faces. Hm. Out of curiosity, what denomination is your church? There were a few LGBT-headed churches in Iowa City. One of them was Catholic...which was one of the most interesting church-going experiences I've had.
It's United Church of Christ. She's not the head pastor, but she is an important part of the church. We also regularly have LGBT liturgists (the last three weeks actually) and a group that bring in speakers. It's a nice place.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Sat May 26, 2012 10:14 am

Summer Con Law assignments are posted.

vpintz

Silver

Post by vpintz » Sun May 27, 2012 10:56 pm

Opie wrote:Summer Con Law assignments are posted.
O_O thanks for the update, haha. I've been so busy, I haven't even thought about that! /fail

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Mon May 28, 2012 3:16 am

You ended up signing up for the con law class?

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Mon May 28, 2012 9:48 am

shredderrrrrr wrote:
You ended up signing up for the con law class?
No, but I was exploring and noticed it. Thought others could use the reminder. They don't announce first assignments going up I'm sure, so you have to keep your eyes open. Ours probably won't come out until we have section assignments though probably.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Wed May 30, 2012 10:28 am

Paid my second deposit last night! Woo!

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Wed May 30, 2012 10:32 am

Opie wrote:Paid my second deposit last night! Woo!
Fuck I forgot about that! Is it due soon?

llachans

Silver

Post by llachans » Wed May 30, 2012 10:57 am

shredderrrrrr wrote:
Fuck I forgot about that! Is it due soon?
Don't quote me, but I believe it's June 1st.

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Wed May 30, 2012 2:20 pm

It is June 1st.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:09 am

Opie wrote:It is June 1st.
Reminder. Final deposit is due today.

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:18 am

Opie wrote:
Opie wrote:It is June 1st.
Reminder. Final deposit is due today.
Thanks for letting me know! Without this, I would have completely forgot about it. Thankfully I had enough time to have my family back in the states take care of it for me until I get home.

llachans

Silver

Post by llachans » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:30 pm

My girlfriend got over her cold feet. Success! However, we were pretty settled on one property (Ingersoll Towers). Recently, I stumbled across an article that made me question that area's safety. (I guess the building next to the apartment used to be a liquor store and there were some gunshots there. The liquor store has now been reformed into a restaurant.)

The address is 3662 Ingersoll Ave. Do any of you know if that neighborhood is safe? The landlord lives on the first floor with her young daughters and said that they haven't had a break-in while she's been there. We liked what we saw, but I want to make absolutely sure before signing the lease.

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:54 am

llachans wrote:My girlfriend got over her cold feet. Success! However, we were pretty settled on one property (Ingersoll Towers). Recently, I stumbled across an article that made me question that area's safety. (I guess the building next to the apartment used to be a liquor store and there were some gunshots there. The liquor store has now been reformed into a restaurant.)

The address is 3662 Ingersoll Ave. Do any of you know if that neighborhood is safe? The landlord lives on the first floor with her young daughters and said that they haven't had a break-in while she's been there. We liked what we saw, but I want to make absolutely sure before signing the lease.
It's a very commercial area. Right behind it on Grand is a very nice med school, and a lot of med students live in the area. You will see some homeless people and such in the area, and the Dahl's down the street is very ecclective. Which restaurant is it that you are talking about? The Manhattan Deli is freaking AMAZING, just FYI.

You should check out mapping.dmgov.org/crimeview/ It's a mapping tool that will display all of the crimes in the area that the police reported in the last 90 days. I looked at it for that address and it didn't look bad. There were some crimes, but most were the sort of minor things you expect in any semi-urban area like car break-ins and such.

If that's the place I'm thinking it is (and I'm pretty sure it is), I have always thought it was a pretty nice place. The Ingersoll area is pretty decent. We were just down the street from there last night actually!

edit: there's the sex offender registry too. That's a good tool as well.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

llachans

Silver

Post by llachans » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:34 pm

Opie wrote:
It's a very commercial area. Right behind it on Grand is a very nice med school, and a lot of med students live in the area. You will see some homeless people and such in the area, and the Dahl's down the street is very ecclective. Which restaurant is it that you are talking about? The Manhattan Deli is freaking AMAZING, just FYI.

You should check out mapping.dmgov.org/crimeview/ It's a mapping tool that will display all of the crimes in the area that the police reported in the last 90 days. I looked at it for that address and it didn't look bad. There were some crimes, but most were the sort of minor things you expect in any semi-urban area like car break-ins and such.

If that's the place I'm thinking it is (and I'm pretty sure it is), I have always thought it was a pretty nice place. The Ingersoll area is pretty decent. We were just down the street from there last night actually!

Alright! Thanks. I spent some time last night looking through some crime reviews and it seems to have a few aggravated assaults and some car break-ins, both very minor things. It looks like it's deposit time!!!

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:49 pm

llachans wrote:
Opie wrote:

Alright! Thanks. I spent some time last night looking through some crime reviews and it seems to have a few aggravated assaults and some car break-ins, both very minor things. It looks like it's deposit time!!!
Yay! And congrats on the getting back together! Is she planning to go to ISU?

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:05 am

Good luck to Con Law attendees!

llachans

Silver

Post by llachans » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:03 am

Opie wrote:
Thanks! I think Des Moines will really grow on her. She plans to attend ISU spring semester.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:10 pm

llachans wrote:
Opie wrote:
Thanks! I think Des Moines will really grow on her. She plans to attend ISU spring semester.
I'm sure she'll enjoy both.

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:12 pm

Anyone know of anything going on Labor Day weekend that I shouldn't miss? Considering committing to a short road trip.

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:52 pm

Man, this thread has been dead! What is everyone up to? Are you taking the summer class vpintz? Everyone ready for classes to start in August?

I have been loving Des Moines. It is sweet up here.

vpintz

Silver

Post by vpintz » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:47 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:Man, this thread has been dead! What is everyone up to? Are you taking the summer class vpintz? Everyone ready for classes to start in August?

I have been loving Des Moines. It is sweet up here.
Yep, I have! It's been...interesting. I'm ready for a break tbh. And it's really good to be home, but this heat is killing me!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”