UCONN applicants 2011-2012

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
iceicebaby

Re: UCONN applicants 2011-2012

Postby iceicebaby » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:05 am

dreamflower wrote:Thanks to all who replied about visiting Hartford.

Another question for you. So now, I am not be able to rent a car. I want to, but I am under 25 and was told that I needed to have full coverage auto insurance in order to rent a car, and I do not. Does anyone have any experience with this?

So if I can rent a car, would the city bus be a possibility to get from the MegaBus stop to the law the school to the main part of West Hartford to walk around? Is West Hartford very walkable?

Thanks so much!

I can't really speak on the car rental situation as I have never really had to rent one on my own yet.

West Hartford center and Blue Back Square are indeed very walkable when you use the bus. You can definitely catch a bus about three or four blocks away from the MegaBus stop right next to State House Square (which always reminds me a bit of Boston) and in front of Travellers. http://www.cttransit.com/uploads_RTDivisionSystem/2009%20htfd_sysmap.pdf — check out this website for route information. The 72 (Asylum Avenue Line) will take you to UConn School of Law while the 66, 64 or 60 (Farmington Avenue lines) will take you to WeHa Center and/or Blue Back Square. Just check out the corner map of the downtown area, the MegaBus lets you off at the Morgan Street garage and you just have to walk to the bus stops in front of Travelers. It's a pretty nice and brief walk through a portion of the center business district (I work right there near State House Square). If you need hotel accommodations, I suggest checking out the new Marriott right near the awesome new Science Center and the new convention center. It can serve as your base of operations and you can easily walk to the bars on Allyn St., Ann St. and Asylum Avenue.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:06 am

B986 wrote:I'm not trying to be a hater, but I'm not sure I would agree that the school has been equipped with "state of the art classrooms." The ones I saw during my visit were old and cramped.

This is credited.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:08 am

Another question for you. So now, I am not be able to rent a car. I want to, but I am under 25 and was told that I needed to have full coverage auto insurance in order to rent a car, and I do not. Does anyone have any experience with this?

So if I can rent a car, would the city bus be a possibility to get from the MegaBus stop to the law the school to the main part of West Hartford to walk around? Is West Hartford very walkable?

Thanks so much!

So all you need is a major credit card. Visa covers rental cars through the card so that you don't need to have full-coverage insurance. You will pay a premium to rent under the age of 25. Try Enterprise, Dollar, Alamo, Thrifty instead of Hertz, Budget, Avis. The latter have much more strict rental rules.

dirkaholic

Postby dirkaholic » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:48 am

Hi Everyone -

I sent an email to admissions@law.uconn.edu regarding additional scholarship money on Saturday morning (3/10). Can anyone speak from experience to their turn-around time on these matters?

I've read a couple of success stories so I want to play this correctly.

Thanks!

landla

Postby landla » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:08 pm

B986 wrote:I'm not trying to be a hater, but I'm not sure I would agree that the school has been equipped with "state of the art classrooms." The ones I saw during my visit were old and cramped.

I saw a few on multiple visits. All were quite nice, though slightly less so from my undergrad (though we joked there that nobody would have as nice chairs until at CEO level - they were rather high end for students).

Void

Postby Void » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:25 pm

landla wrote:

I saw a few on multiple visits. All were quite nice, though slightly less so from my undergrad (though we joked there that nobody would have as nice chairs until at CEO level - they were rather high end for students).

Nice, maybe. State of the art? Maybe if "the art" is being measured in 1993.

LAFish

Postby LAFish » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:30 pm

JoeMo wrote:

Thanks so much!

So all you need is a major credit card. Visa covers rental cars through the card so that you don't need to have full-coverage insurance. You will pay a premium to rent under the age of 25. Try Enterprise, Dollar, Alamo, Thrifty instead of Hertz, Budget, Avis. The latter have much more strict rental rules.

I just rented a car at Hertz in California about a month ago and I'm 21. All they required of my was a credit/debit card for incidentals and a $30 extra charge for being under 25. Overall, it costed me exactly $100 for 48 hours for a Toyota Corolla.

Are you trying to visit/see hartford/West Hartford after ASD or on a separate visit? If you're just trying to look around after ASD, I'm sure you'll meet people like myself who are going to be doing the same thing after ASD. Just make some friends and bum a ride off of them :D

iceicebaby

Postby iceicebaby » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:36 pm

Let me put it this way, if I weren't waitlisted at UConn and therefore not able to go to ASD, I would have been glad to drive people around and show the area since I live about 2 minutes from the law school and WeHa center. OH WELL!

Void

Postby Void » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:31 pm

iceicebaby wrote: WeHa center

Is this really a thing? I've been going to UConn Law for 2 years and never heard anyone call West Hartford "WeHa."

LAFish

Postby LAFish » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:51 pm

Void wrote:

Is this really a thing? I've been going to UConn Law for 2 years and never heard anyone call West Hartford "WeHa."

Hey Void. Looked through a couple of your posts...dare I ask how the whole employment thing is at UConn?

Void

Postby Void » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:27 pm

LAFish wrote:
Void wrote:

Hey Void. Looked through a couple of your posts...dare I ask how the whole employment thing is
If you have specific questions you can PM me if you like.

I wasn't going to post too much in this thread but the "WeHa" thing was getting a little out of hand.

iceicebaby

Postby iceicebaby » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:31 pm

Void wrote:

Void wrote: I wasn't going to post too much in this thread but the "WeHa" thing was getting a little out of hand.

I guess it's just a thing amongst townies, then, because I've been living in the area for 20+ years and I know loads of people that call it "WeHa Center". I have a feeling that many UConn grads aren't from the area as they tend to like out-of-staters.

mebo28

Postby mebo28 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:56 pm

When is ASD again?

Is it tomorrow? If it is I will be around - day off of work due to MA state Holiday.

If anyone needs to see Hartford/West Hartford I could probably help if you are having trouble. Also, if you want to see any of the clubs or activities we do, we will be playing softball and basketball on that day.

BTW I am a 1L.

Void

Postby Void » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:43 pm

iceicebaby wrote:I guess it's just a thing amongst townies, then, because I've been living in the area for 20+ years and I know loads of people that call it "WeHa Center". I have a feeling that many UConn grads aren't from the area as they tend to like out-of-staters.

Maybe.

I also disagree with this notion that UConn likes out-of-staters. My understanding is that UConn actually has a slight preference for state residents. I was in-state during my admissions cycle, and a friend of mine with identical numbers/similar background was out-of-state. We were both accepted but my scholarship was significantly more generous than his. Obviously this is just one anecdotal instance and you can take from it what you will. I'll jump back out of your thread now.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:49 pm

mebo28 wrote:When is ASD again?

Is it tomorrow? If it is I will be around - day off of work due to MA state Holiday.

If anyone needs to see Hartford/West Hartford I could probably help if you are having trouble. Also, if you want to see any of the clubs or activities we do, we will be playing softball and basketball on that day.

BTW I am a 1L.

It's on the 24th.

bobbyh1919

Postby bobbyh1919 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:04 pm

Got a call from the school today when I was in class, basically just asking if I had any questions or concerns about the school. Anyone else get called as well?

LAFish

Postby LAFish » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:51 pm

bobbyh1919 wrote:Got a call from the school today when I was in class, basically just asking if I had any questions or concerns about the school. Anyone else get called as well?

I got a call a few weeks ago.

ghenkis khan

Postby ghenkis khan » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:28 pm

bobbyh1919 wrote:Got a call from the school today when I was in class, basically just asking if I had any questions or concerns about the school. Anyone else get called as well?

+1, it sort of caught me off guard

mebo28

Postby mebo28 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:56 am

Void wrote:
iceicebaby wrote:I guess it's just a thing amongst townies, then, because I've been living in the area for 20+ years and I know loads of people that call it "WeHa Center". I have a feeling that many UConn grads aren't from the area as they tend to like out-of-staters.

Maybe.

I also disagree with this notion that UConn likes out-of-staters. My understanding is that UConn actually has a slight preference for state residents. I was in-state during my admissions cycle, and a friend of mine with identical numbers/similar background was out-of-state. We were both accepted but my scholarship was significantly more generous than his. Obviously this is just one anecdotal instance and you can take from it what you will. I'll jump back out of your thread now.

I'll be the otherside of that.

I am out-of-state and had numbers lower than a few people I know who where in-state who were either rejected or got no money at all.

I work for another state school (a college but not a law school) in the administration department. Basically how we work is, we like to accept out-of-state students and give them some type of bone (either acceptance with slightlier lower numbers or some $ - enough to entice, but not enough as in-state tuition). It's really all about making money.

At the same time, we have a PR thing for the community, so we help in-staters out as much as we are allowed to - throw a few of them a bone and say "Hey look at what we did." Also, when we award scholarships, we take into more than just raw numbers, everyone is different no matter how identical you think you are.

Now again, the caveat is that I do not work for a law school - but I'm guessing the business behind it is very similar to other state colleges.

mebo28

Postby mebo28 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:59 am

ghenkis khan wrote:

+1, it sort of caught me off guard

Sorry for the double post. Just as an FYI, UConn does this as a service. They recruit students on campus to help call prospective students to answer Q's and such.

jemenfous5

Postby jemenfous5 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:20 pm

Has anyone gotten their financial aid award letters yet? UConn said they sent some them last week, but I still haven't received anything.

iceicebaby

Postby iceicebaby » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:41 pm

Has anyone gotten in off the waitlist yet?

barbaraeliz

Postby barbaraeliz » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:42 pm

iceicebaby wrote:Has anyone gotten in off the waitlist yet?

I haven't heard, though honestly, I haven't done anything about being on it, either, besides request to stay on it.

iceicebaby

Postby iceicebaby » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:55 pm

barbaraeliz wrote:
iceicebaby wrote:Has anyone gotten in off the waitlist yet?

I haven't heard, though honestly, I haven't done anything about being on it, either, besides request to stay on it.

Yeah, I'm trying to talk to Dean Nance and/or Dean DeMeola to see what the deal is with the timing of when they typically let people in off the waitlist (I'm hoping May), because I pretty much need to know before June 1st, otherwise I have to move and make plans knowing that I'm going somewhere else in NYC and spending a crap load more money on cost-of-living.

Update: Spoke to Dean Nance... I suppose the largest amount of waitlisted people getting off the waitlist will be after the April 16 seat deposit deadline. Tell me something I don't know! Anyway, I plan on getting another alum to send in an additional letter on my behalf talking about my work ethic, law school preparedness, etc. since Dean Nance said they want to hear about that stuff versus the old "oh yeah, he's a good guy and you should let him in" stuff they usually get.

And Dean Nance/Dean DeMeola: if you're lurking itt, I LOVE UCONN. IT IS THE BEE'S KNEES! I can haz acceptance nowz?

iceicebaby

Postby iceicebaby » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:13 pm

How was ASW this past weekend?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”