UCONN applicants 2011-2012

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
landla

Re: UCONN applicants 2011-2012

Postby landla » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:11 pm

JoeMo wrote:Job Prospects wise, the school is pretty regional. If you do well in your class you can place in Hartford, New Haven, Stamford, Providence (not a big legal market but some decent midsize firms) and Boston.

I've heard similar to this. However, I have heard that it is very difficult to place outside of Connecticut. I want to work in Boston initially, though I might want to work elsewhere. Given the number of good schools in Boston, it doesn't seem to place easily in Boston. With that said, I'm willing to do the work, so... it's a big debate.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:39 am

landla wrote:I've heard similar to this. However, I have heard that it is very difficult to place outside of Connecticut. I want to work in Boston initially, though I might want to work elsewhere. Given the number of good schools in Boston, it doesn't seem to place easily in Boston. With that said, I'm willing to do the work, so... it's a big debate.

It's like with anything else. If you're in the top quarter of your class, you're going to have an easier time doing that. If you're lower than that you're going to have an easier time staying in Connecticut and so most people do. If you're in the bottom quarter, you're going to have a hard time doing anything at all.

landla

Postby landla » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:48 am

JoeMo wrote:It's like with anything else. If you're in the top quarter of your class, you're going to have an easier time doing that. If you're lower than that you're going to have an easier time staying in Connecticut and so most people do. If you're in the bottom quarter, you're going to have a hard time doing anything at all.

This is true. I've heard that it is tough even for the top of the class to compete in Boston, though it is partially self-selection and partially the school.

It is also important to remember going into law school that the majority of people going to the school typically plan on being in the top of the class. Mathematically, the whole class clearly cannot be in the top percent.

Not trying to be a pessimist, just trying to be realistic/overly cautious. :)

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:54 pm

landla wrote:
JoeMo wrote:It's like with anything else. If you're in the top quarter of your class, you're going to have an easier time doing that. If you're lower than that you're going to have an easier time staying in Connecticut and so most people do. If you're in the bottom quarter, you're going to have a hard time doing anything at all.

This is true. I've heard that it is tough even for the top of the class to compete in Boston, though it is partially self-selection and partially the school.

It is also important to remember going into law school that the majority of people going to the school typically plan on being in the top of the class. Mathematically, the whole class clearly cannot be in the top percent.

Not trying to be a pessimist, just trying to be realistic/overly cautious. :)

Oh yeah, of course. This is going to be the case anywhere though and if you go in thinking you're going to be at the bottom of the class then you probably shouldn't be going. Just my two cents (and not that I think you think like this at all). I also think the Boston thing is a bit of people not working to make the connections in Boston. If you think and know that's where you want to practice then you need to try and establish that early on. Not just interview with Boston firms at OCI and hope something sticks.

Niners4Life

Postby Niners4Life » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:51 am

Congrats to everyone that was accepted and a big congrats to everyone receiving a full tuition offer, renewable or not! I was also named a University of Connecticut Scholar. How many of us does that make?

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:53 am

Niners4Life wrote:Congrats to everyone that was accepted and a big congrats to everyone receiving a full tuition offer, renewable or not! I was also named a University of Connecticut Scholar. How many of us does that make?

I know myself, Killingly and Landla.

jemenfous5

Postby jemenfous5 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:21 pm

I started a Uconn classes of 2015 & 2016 thread for anyone that is definitely attending or seriously considering it.

Link: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=174661

Jimbola

Postby Jimbola » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:25 pm

I want my December score so I can see if I really have a shot at this place (and a shot at some money too!).

Anyone else waiting for December scores like me?

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:05 pm

So has anyone else decided they want to be a Husky yet?

iceicebaby

Postby iceicebaby » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:53 pm

JoeMo wrote:So has anyone else decided they want to be a Husky yet?

Yeah dude, years ago. I want it so bad. Congrats on the full ride, that's amazing! I hope I hear good news from them soon so I can come join you all.

zakohl

Postby zakohl » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:55 pm

Connecticut Scholar...leaning heavily

Snlckaz31

Postby Snlckaz31 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:46 am

Waiting to hear back from UConn for the part-time program. Application went complete on 12/5/11. I'm in state with what could possibly be considered unique softs (I work law enforcement at a college around the corner) but with only mediocre numbers, even for the part time program. 3.32/154. I'll be waiting a while to hear anything. Good luck to all of you and congrats to the ones who have gotten accepted and especially the ones with $$. You deserve it.

HellOnHeels

Postby HellOnHeels » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:21 pm

Last edited by HellOnHeels on Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

ashley12

Postby ashley12 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:36 pm

stephinmd wrote:In review today.

Did your status just change today? I just checked mine and I swear it hasn't previously said In Review, but the status date is 12/22. Hmmmm.

HellOnHeels

Postby HellOnHeels » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:22 pm

ashley12 wrote:
stephinmd wrote:In review today.

Did your status just change today? I just checked mine and I swear it hasn't previously said In Review, but the status date is 12/22. Hmmmm.

Yes, and has todays date listed.

MjrKonsikwenses

Postby MjrKonsikwenses » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:37 am

Also in as a Connecticut Scholar, congrats to all!

In conversations with the admissions department early on in the cycle, I was told they were planning on offering ~15 Connecticut Scholar full-tuition scholarships with the intention of ending up with ten students actually matriculating to the school.

I'd be coming from UConn undergrad as well, and the Connecticut Scholar offer makes a very compelling argument to be a double husky!

Jimbola

Postby Jimbola » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:47 pm

Got a 158 on the December test which puts me in the 25% for UConn, right? Anyone know off hand if they only look at the highest score or if they average scores or anything like that?

zuckaz48

Postby zuckaz48 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:14 pm

Jimbola wrote:Got a 158 on the December test which puts me in the 25% for UConn, right? Anyone know off hand if they only look at the highest score or if they average scores or anything like that?

higher score unless there is a large differential between the two. then you need to write an addendum

Snlckaz31

Postby Snlckaz31 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:27 am

For those of you who just went into review, would you mind sharing when you're application went complete? Thanks

iceicebaby

Postby iceicebaby » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:20 am

Snlckaz31 wrote:For those of you who just went into review, would you mind sharing when you're application went complete? Thanks

Mine was complete on 11/21 and just went "In Review" a couple of days ago. I am in-state with 3.11/158 and lots of solid paralegal WE at top firms in NYC and CT... I'm hoping my softs take me from 25%-30% to middle of the pack, given that Dean DeMeola has stated that their median LSAT this cycle will be a 159.

For those who already got in—how long did it take for them to render a decision after your status switched to "In Review"?

jemenfous5

Postby jemenfous5 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:41 am

iceicebaby wrote:
Snlckaz31 wrote:For those of you who just went into review, would you mind sharing when you're application went complete? Thanks

Mine was complete on 11/21 and just went "In Review" a couple of days ago. I am in-state with 3.11/158 and lots of solid paralegal WE at top firms in NYC and CT... I'm hoping my softs take me from 25%-30% to middle of the pack, given that Dean DeMeola has stated that their median LSAT this cycle will be a 159.

For those who already got in—how long did it take for them to render a decision after your status switched to "In Review"?

8 days for me

landla

Postby landla » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:55 am

iceicebaby wrote:For those who already got in—how long did it take for them to render a decision after your status switched to "In Review"?

To be honest, I'm not entirely positive. I went UR in early/mid December (when they finally started reviewing apps) and was accepted the week before Christmas. I'll check the dates (yay for the status checker app, since that saves them) and let you know when I am on my personal computer later.

The reason I'm posting now, however, is to say that I wouldn't use the December times to gauge the turnaround for now. At the open house I attended this past fall, they said that the only had about a hundred applications so far, meaning they did not have many to get through in December, but that this is typical and they usually have an influx following the holiday and that slows down their turnaround time. (This is all loose paraphrasing, since it didn't really affect me anymore, having already turned it in back in October.)

That said, I wouldn't expect it to take terribly long, since the December test takers haven't submitted/gone under review yet. I would still expect a small application pool and relatively quick turnaround - just maybe not a week.

z0rk

Postby z0rk » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:00 pm

landla wrote:
iceicebaby wrote:For those who already got in—how long did it take for them to render a decision after your status switched to "In Review"?

To be honest, I'm not entirely positive. I went UR in early/mid December (when they finally started reviewing apps) and was accepted the week before Christmas. I'll check the dates (yay for the status checker app, since that saves them) and let you know when I am on my personal computer later.

The reason I'm posting now, however, is to say that I wouldn't use the December times to gauge the turnaround for now. At the open house I attended this past fall, they said that the only had about a hundred applications so far, meaning they did not have many to get through in December, but that this is typical and they usually have an influx following the holiday and that slows down their turnaround time. (This is all loose paraphrasing, since it didn't really affect me anymore, having already turned it in back in October.)

That said, I wouldn't expect it to take terribly long, since the December test takers haven't submitted/gone under review yet. I would still expect a small application pool and relatively quick turnaround - just maybe not a week.

I would also add that they are not reviewing certain applications yet (i.e. mine. Out of state, 157/3.5, work as a paralegal and decent softs). I submitted before thanksgiving and I have been sitting at complete since 11/30 and no movement since. I am taking this as a sign that I have a weak application to Uconn. They very well could be holding apps back to compare them to the influx of apps they will soon receive.

iceicebaby

Postby iceicebaby » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:02 pm

landla wrote:

Thanks!!!! I am all nervous about it because it's my #1 and a lot of plans (i.e. renewing lease vs. moving back home to save money vs. having to move elsewhere if *gasps* I don't get in) are on hold until I hear back from them. I also would like to quit my current job at some point soon this Spring but again, it all depends on UConn it seems.

Niners4Life

Postby Niners4Life » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:56 pm

I talked with the assistant dean of admissions yesterday about maintaining the 3.0 required to keep the full ride offers. She said approximately 75% of their students get a 3.0 or higher.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”