UCONN applicants 2011-2012

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
alevin

Re: UCONN applicants 2011-2012

Postby alevin » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:49 pm

in with Dean's scholly of 20k, but only for one year, and then encourages me to get residency.

jemenfous5

Postby jemenfous5 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:03 pm

It seems a bit odd that they would give out all the full ride scholarships in the first round of acceptances. Where does it say they only give 10?

Killingly

Postby Killingly » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:32 pm

jemenfous5 wrote:It seems a bit odd that they would give out all the full ride scholarships in the first round of acceptances. Where does it say they only give 10?

Website.

landla

Postby landla » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:39 am

Also got the full tuition scholarship. I guess they decided to start doing scholarships early? I know that they have numerous scholarships, so maybe it is the review for those scholarships (the ones in honor of different people, by associations, etc.) that they do in Feb?

Anyways, congratulations to everyone who got either Connecticut or Dean's! That's a pretty decent Christmas present right there. :)

Killingly wrote:Does anyone know WHEN we have to accept by?

It doesn't say, but I believe they have to give us until the regular date to decide. I may be incorrect on that, however.

bobbyh1919 wrote: This really complicates things lol.

Agreed!

landla

Postby landla » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:46 am

Just to let everyone know, I'm emailing them to verify by when we must accept. I'll let you know the reply.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:50 am

So I went back and counted and all 10 of us are here.

I'll be the first to say this though since it seems like you're all weighing out your options.

I'm accepting... so I guess I'm a husky on a full ride.

Congrats to everyone else. See you at ASW.

landla

Postby landla » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:28 am

JoeMo wrote:So I went back and counted and all 10 of us are here.

I'll be the first to say this though since it seems like you're all weighing out your options.

Congratulations!

Yeah, I'm going to weight my other options still. I like the school, but there are a lot of factors. I also am curious how likely renewal is. A 3.0 doesn't sound that tough, but I've heard (as I'm sure others have) many stories of people heading into law school thinking their scholarship won't be tough to keep and losing it.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:32 am

landla wrote:Congratulations!

Yeah, I'm going to weight my other options still. I like the school, but there are a lot of factors. I also am curious how likely renewal is. A 3.0 doesn't sound that tough, but I've heard (as I'm sure others have) many stories of people heading into law school thinking their scholarship won't be tough to keep and losing it.

I hear you, the choice between Michigan and UConn was tough to make. I don't think they'll be difficult to keep only because they're only giving out 10. The scholarship stips that are hard to keep or that people complain about are at schools where they give them to 50% (or more) of the incoming class but you have to be in the top 20-30% to keep it which clearly means most will lose it. See: Univ of San Francisco

I'm from New England and was probably going to come back to New England to practice anyway. So that'll be fairly easy to do with a UConn degree. Not that it would've been difficult with a Michigan degree by any means. However, I'll be loving not having to pay back the student loans and just enjoy whatever salary I am able to make.

Diiizzzzoooo

Postby Diiizzzzoooo » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:39 am

Hey Guys,

Either someone is being dishonest, or they are giving out more than 10 CT Scholarships. I received one via e-mail last night. That e-mail cemented my decision. Congratulations to you guys, and I'll see you in the fall.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:55 am

Diiizzzzoooo wrote:Hey Guys,

Either someone is being dishonest, or they are giving out more than 10 CT Scholarships. I received one via e-mail last night. That e-mail cemented my decision. Congratulations to you guys, and I'll see you in the fall.

It cemented mine too!

And it's possible that they offered 15 or so with the expectation that some people might turn them down right? I mean, I know we all have other great acceptances so I'm sure some will decide to go Michigan or UVA or whatever instead.

I'm taking this full ride though. I am so in love with UConn right now.

bobbyh1919

Postby bobbyh1919 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:03 am

Congrats on your decision JoeMo! I remember you saying you were 99% sure you were going to Michigan, so I guess this offer really impressed you lol.

Also, the school's website very clearly says they are giving out 10 full ride awards. Looks like they decided to up that a bit?

landla

Postby landla » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:14 am

The website says:
"Connecticut Scholarships are full tuition merit based scholarships. There are 10 such awards for the class entering in 2012. To maintain the scholarship, the recipient must maintain a 3.0 grade point average.
Dean's Scholarships are awarded annually to incoming first-year students who have shown exceptional promise. Dean's Scholarships range from partial to full tuition and are not renewable."
--LinkRemoved--

Perhaps some of the people posting were awarded full tuition under the Dean's Scholarship (which is only one year, so I hope they realize the difference). That would account for the confusion.

cph4life

Postby cph4life » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:15 am

JoeMo wrote:So I went back and counted and all 10 of us are here.

There's a high chance I'll be joining you! UConn was one of my top choices to begin with, and then a full ride on top of that makes it pretty unbeatable. GO HUSKIES!

In response to the last post, mine explicitly said "University of Connecticut Scholar"

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:27 am

bobbyh1919 wrote:Congrats on your decision JoeMo! I remember you saying you were 99% sure you were going to Michigan, so I guess this offer really impressed you lol.

Also, the school's website very clearly says they are giving out 10 full ride awards. Looks like they decided to up that a bit?

I literally said to @Killingly the other day on LSN

"so you and I are the same person. We're both going to Michigan unless we get a super scholarship from some other school like UConn and by super I mean full and by full I mean it's not going to happen so we're going to Michigan!"

So my mind was set on Michigan unless full ride at UConn... what are the freaking ODDS! I can't even believe it. I'm still in utter shock.

I hope you guys join me. And I'll see you in March at ASW!

pittchris12

Postby pittchris12 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:33 am

UCONN was already one of the schools that could take me away from Pittsburgh. So the merit scholarship is something that is really going to make that choice tough. If PITT doesn't help me out more than they have offered so far I think my decision is made. I do need to visit Hartford though!

scholar678

Postby scholar678 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:12 pm

I also got a UConn scholarship (full ride), so I'm going to trust everyone else on here and assume that they've given out more than 10. Congrats to everyone.

Diiizzzzoooo

Postby Diiizzzzoooo » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:31 pm

scholar678 wrote:

I also got a UConn scholarship (full ride), so I'm going to trust everyone else on here and assume that they've given out more than 10. Congrats to everyone.

As someone said earlier, perhaps they failed to distinguish exactly what scholarship they received. If UConn says 10 on their website, I'm inclined to believe them.

Killingly

Postby Killingly » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:33 pm

Diiizzzzoooo wrote:
scholar678 wrote:

As someone said earlier, perhaps they failed to distinguish exactly what scholarship they received. If UConn says 10 on their website, I'm inclined to believe them.

Same, it's possible someone got a Dean's Scholarship which could be full tuition for one year.

hurricane12345

Postby hurricane12345 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:08 pm

In via email yesterday, also a University of Connecticut Scholar with full tuition for all 3 years provided a 3.0 gpa is maintained.

caloboeist

Postby caloboeist » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:21 pm

Congrats to all who got in!
I'm seriously considering going here, but I've heard really mixed reviews on job prospects once you're done. Anyone have any insight?

landla

Postby landla » Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:48 am

caloboeist wrote:Congrats to all who got in!
I'm seriously considering going here, but I've heard really mixed reviews on job prospects once you're done. Anyone have any insight?

This is one of my serious hangups as well, especially given the schools already in the market I'm primarily focused upon currently.

bobbyh1919

Postby bobbyh1919 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:42 am

This is my hangup as well. Love getting a free ride in the market I'd like to practice in, but I've heard some pretty conflicting things about the job prospects.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:46 pm

Job Prospects wise, the school is pretty regional. If you do well in your class you can place in Hartford, New Haven, Stamford, Providence (not a big legal market but some decent midsize firms) and Boston.

Some people go to New York, a small percentage but I think a lot of it is self-selection. A lot of New Englanders don't want to give up New England and a lot of us have a fear of New York City.

If you do shitty, then your prospects won't be very good.

panthersig

Postby panthersig » Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:57 pm

Killingly wrote:
Diiizzzzoooo wrote:
scholar678 wrote:

Same, it's possible someone got a Dean's Scholarship which could be full tuition for one year.

Just weighing in on this. From my perspective it would make sense that UCONN would offer more than 10 CT scholarships per cycle -- assuming that not everyone who was offered one would actually accept it. I don't think it's a matter of dishonesty or confusion over what scholarship was actually awarded. UCONN would be foolish to assume 100% acceptance of their full-ride offers so in order to have approximately 10 incoming 1L's each year with the full-ride they would obviously have to offer more than 10 of them. I'm sure they have some kind of statistical calculation that they have used over the years to predict what the actual matriculation rate is for such offers. Just my opinion, though. Congrats to everyone who has received one, and good luck to everyone who is still waiting.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:32 pm

panthersig wrote:Just weighing in on this. From my perspective it would make sense that UCONN would offer more than 10 CT scholarships per cycle -- assuming that not everyone who was offered one would actually accept it. I don't think it's a matter of dishonesty or confusion over what scholarship was actually awarded. UCONN would be foolish to assume 100% acceptance of their full-ride offers so in order to have approximately 10 incoming 1L's each year with the full-ride they would obviously have to offer more than 10 of them. I'm sure they have some kind of statistical calculation that they have used over the years to predict what the actual matriculation rate is for such offers. Just my opinion, though. Congrats to everyone who has received one, and good luck to everyone who is still waiting.

No, it's not that. This is their second year. I think people are too excited and don't recognize the difference between the Full Dean's Scholarship and Connecticut Scholars. I think they choose 10 and then if 3 turn them down, offer it later in the cycle, until they have the 10. This is the image I got from speaking to them directly about my offer. They have 10 and they give 10.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”