UCONN applicants 2011-2012 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jemenfous5

New

Re: UCONN applicants 2011-2012

Post by jemenfous5 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:59 am

Financial aid letters anyone?

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Bronze

Post by BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:13 pm

My status says, "Decision, 3/28" but no email yet....

Hmmm. Do they email you or send info via snail mail?

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:22 pm

iceicebaby wrote:How was ASW this past weekend?
presentation was impressive, people were weird and asked bad questions. people were particularly bad at answering questions in the mock class.

iceicebaby

Bronze

Post by iceicebaby » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:36 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:
iceicebaby wrote:How was ASW this past weekend?
presentation was impressive, people were weird and asked bad questions. people were particularly bad at answering questions in the mock class.
And yet, I'm still on the waitlist. Go figure.

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:49 pm

"do you think we should have a smartphone"

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

iceicebaby

Bronze

Post by iceicebaby » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:58 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:"do you think we should have a smartphone"
My favorite one was the kid talking about opening up his own practice right after law school at another ASD. Such ignorance! I mean, I guess we are all experts in the practice of the law when we get out of school right?

But I think yours takes the cake. Sounds like a kid who is angling for a new iPhone... were his or her parents there? Honestly, the level of stupidity and naivete of some K-JDs both encourages and frightens me.

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Bronze

Post by BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:43 pm

Well, they dinged me! :shock: WTF!? I am way above their GPA and LSAT numbers and in the letter they stated, "sorry, we have an applicant pool with extraordinary accomplishments and qualifications...." Huh? I'm well above your numbers... are they getting 4.3/180s?

I'm not that bugged except for the fact this seems to be a bad omen. If I'm above their numbers, what will happen with the rest of my apps?

So far, my cycle is shit; wait list at Wash U and denied at UConn. And UConn took a very quick look, went complete around the 9th and denied today. So, for those who have been waiting, it may be a very good thing as they only took a couple weeks to reject me.

Anyway, I'm done blowing off steam. Good luck to all you guys applying and waiting.

iceicebaby

Bronze

Post by iceicebaby » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:56 pm

BarcaCrossesTheAlps wrote:Well, they dinged me! :shock: WTF!? I am way above their GPA and LSAT numbers and in the letter they stated, "sorry, we have an applicant pool with extraordinary accomplishments and qualifications...." Huh? I'm well above your numbers... are they getting 4.3/180s?

I'm not that bugged except for the fact this seems to be a bad omen. If I'm above their numbers, what will happen with the rest of my apps?

So far, my cycle is shit; wait list at Wash U and denied at UConn. And UConn took a very quick look, went complete around the 9th and denied today. So, for those who have been waiting, it may be a very good thing as they only took a couple weeks to reject me.

Anyway, I'm done blowing off steam. Good luck to all you guys applying and waiting.
Don't sweat it, man... sounds like you could have better choices anyway. I'm also surprised at how "selective" they seem to be this year, especially considering that at their open house back in November or December, they said they would be dropping their medians this year. So much for that! Honestly I get a bad vibe all around from them... really just being too snooty for a TT ranked in the 60's. Maybe it's because people are looking for the value schools in this economy to hedge their bets and UConn is often earmarked as being one of them? Who knows...

Either way, good luck Barca and may you never have to suffer the same fate as your namesake.

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Bronze

Post by BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:14 pm

Haha! You are the only one who gets the username...

I've had people ask if it is short for the Barcelona soccer club. Er, "football" club.

Greatest general to ever live!

And thanks.... I'll look forward, not backward!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

iceicebaby

Bronze

Post by iceicebaby » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:29 pm

BarcaCrossesTheAlps wrote:Haha! You are the only one who gets the username...

I've had people ask if it is short for the Barcelona soccer club. Er, "football" club.

Greatest general to ever live!

And thanks.... I'll look forward, not backward!
Hmm—this is blatant classical nerdery here—but I think he's the third greatest behind Scipio Africanus and Alexander the Great on some accounts and behind Pyrrhus and Alexander the Great on other accounts.

But yeah, onwards and upwards my friend!

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Bronze

Post by BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:41 pm

Well, here we go.... if we're anything alike, you know I can't resist.

Hannibal had to keep together and fight with a band of ethnically diverse mercenaries. No one in history has had to do this for so long a time. Further, Hannibal is the ultimate aggressor. He took it to the Romans like nobody's business. If, and I know "if" is the operative word here, Hannibal had the backing of Carthage like Scipio had with the Roman Senate, well, Western history would be quite different.

Alexander is way overrated, IMHO. Who did he fight? At least Scipio had Hannibal. Pyrrhus of Epirus had, well, Rome. Napoleon had Wellington and Blucher. Alexander was no doubt a great general, but he fought with Philip's army and military progressions.

LOL! I hope we both end up at Wash U, we could have some pretty good conversations, no doubt!

Good luck with your cycle.

iceicebaby

Bronze

Post by iceicebaby » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:56 pm

BarcaCrossesTheAlps wrote:Well, here we go.... if we're anything alike, you know I can't resist.

Hannibal had to keep together and fight with a band of ethnically diverse mercenaries. No one in history has had to do this for so long a time. Further, Hannibal is the ultimate aggressor. He took it to the Romans like nobody's business. If, and I know "if" is the operative word here, Hannibal had the backing of Carthage like Scipio had with the Roman Senate, well, Western history would be quite different.

Alexander is way overrated, IMHO. Who did he fight? At least Scipio had Hannibal. Pyrrhus of Epirus had, well, Rome. Napoleon had Wellington and Blucher. Alexander was no doubt a great general, but he fought with Philip's army and military progressions.

LOL! I hope we both end up at Wash U, we could have some pretty good conversations, no doubt!

Judgments are being passed on how nerdy we are itt, I just know it.

GIVE ME SOMETHING BETTER TO TALK ABOUT, UCONN!!!

LawStudent89

New

Post by LawStudent89 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:37 pm

Just withdrew. Good luck everyone.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

landla

Bronze

Post by landla » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:48 pm

iceicebaby wrote:
BarcaCrossesTheAlps wrote:Well, here we go.... if we're anything alike, you know I can't resist.

Judgments are being passed on how nerdy we are itt, I just know it.

GIVE ME SOMETHING BETTER TO TALK ABOUT, UCONN!!!
If it makes you feel better, I got the username (thought it was obvious... oops). I'd agree that he's one of the top generals (if not THE best), because I think he managed to do a lot more with a lot less than others. I don't want to turn this thread into a general discussion, though, so that's all I'll say.

LAFish

Bronze

Post by LAFish » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:20 am

Withdrew. Really loved the campus, people, West Hartford, but UConn isn't for me. Good luck all!

brauf

New

Post by brauf » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:57 pm

I also got dinged after a very short time. Whatever though, Hartford sucks.

Lindsey4468

New

Post by Lindsey4468 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:09 am

Withdrawing on Monday and going to Colorado. Good luck to all those still waiting or hoping to get off the wait list!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ghenkis khan

New

Post by ghenkis khan » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:42 pm

Sent my deposit today, anyone else definite??

gilkile

New

Post by gilkile » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:25 pm

withdrawing, I hope my full scholly gets passed on to a TLSer

zakohl

New

Post by zakohl » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:47 pm

B986- "...old and cramped?" They are old buildings but they have been updated. As to the technology portion (which your rebuttal doesn't address), there are tons of LAN lines and power outlets for each desk. There is a power outlet and LAN line under every seat in the moot court room. These examples alone don't make it state of the art but I'm not sure what you would qualify as such.

dirkaholic

New

Post by dirkaholic » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:29 pm

Not sure if there is a separate forum for this but is anyone else on the fence about accepting Federal Work Study funds? Does anyone have (or know of anyone with) first-hand experience on any of these jobs? The website said that they are confined to the law library and technology dept "to the extent that these jobs exist". Library sounds like a fine place to work, but do these positions take care of most the work-study applicants? Am I more likely to land a job landscaping the heralded West Hartford campus? Do they all pay the same?

I'm going to call the office as well but I just wanted to see if anyone had some real experience with it (even in undergrad).

Thanks!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

B986

Bronze

Post by B986 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:38 am

zakohl wrote:B986- "...old and cramped?" They are old buildings but they have been updated. As to the technology portion (which your rebuttal doesn't address), there are tons of LAN lines and power outlets for each desk. There is a power outlet and LAN line under every seat in the moot court room. These examples alone don't make it state of the art but I'm not sure what you would qualify as such.
Compared to many schools I visited, I found the UConn facilities (except the library, which is beautiful) to be on the small side and not all that contemporary. I also found it somewhat depressing that the journal offices and cafe are in a dark basement. It's nothing personal, it is just what I felt. I'm not certain an abundance of LAN ports and power outlets in some classrooms qualifies as state of the art in 2012. Many schools have new media equipment and just generally a more modern feel. Much of this may be attributable to personal aesthetic preferences, though, so take it for what you will.

Niners4Life

New

Post by Niners4Life » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:05 pm

dirkaholic wrote:Not sure if there is a separate forum for this but is anyone else on the fence about accepting Federal Work Study funds? Does anyone have (or know of anyone with) first-hand experience on any of these jobs? The website said that they are confined to the law library and technology dept "to the extent that these jobs exist". Library sounds like a fine place to work, but do these positions take care of most the work-study applicants? Am I more likely to land a job landscaping the heralded West Hartford campus? Do they all pay the same?

I'm going to call the office as well but I just wanted to see if anyone had some real experience with it (even in undergrad).

Thanks!
I'd like to know this too. If the part about the tech dept. is true, I have a feeling
that's where I'll end up (my UG degree is essentially an IT degree...)

jessedvhs

Bronze

Post by jessedvhs » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:07 pm

B986 wrote:
zakohl wrote:B986- "...old and cramped?" They are old buildings but they have been updated. As to the technology portion (which your rebuttal doesn't address), there are tons of LAN lines and power outlets for each desk. There is a power outlet and LAN line under every seat in the moot court room. These examples alone don't make it state of the art but I'm not sure what you would qualify as such.
Compared to many schools I visited, I found the UConn facilities (except the library, which is beautiful) to be on the small side and not all that contemporary. I also found it somewhat depressing that the journal offices and cafe are in a dark basement. It's nothing personal, it is just what I felt. I'm not certain an abundance of LAN ports and power outlets in some classrooms qualifies as state of the art in 2012. Many schools have new media equipment and just generally a more modern feel. Much of this may be attributable to personal aesthetic preferences, though, so take it for what you will.
Me too.

wfudeacons2005

Bronze

Post by wfudeacons2005 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:32 pm

In the hope of getting in for the PT program, I've sent LOCIs every 3 weeks or so...aside from the usual about grades, involvement, etc. I also have ended each with "UConn is my absolute first choice and I will attend if selected off the wait-list". Is anyone else anxiously riding out the WL? And, does anyone have a general idea when UConn starts to release WL decisions and how many people they generally take? It seems like they are maintaining a rather significant one this year. Unfortunately, with my borderline numbers, I'm not so sure all of the expressed interest is going to make much of a difference :(

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”