Loyola Chicago 2011-2012 cycle Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Bradlo722

New

Re: Loyola Chicago 2011-2012 cycle

Post by Bradlo722 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:33 pm

Has anyone received a grant award letter yet?

jgrady1

New

Post by jgrady1 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:53 pm

I thought soon....also i think if you received scholarship money, you won't receive grant money...correct?

Bmarce

Bronze

Post by Bmarce » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:54 pm

jgrady1 wrote:I thought soon....also i think if you received scholarship money, you won't receive grant money...correct?
That is my understanding.

Bradlo722

New

Post by Bradlo722 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:52 pm

Actually, I believe that you will get grant money but only up to a maximum of $12,000 when you combine the two. (i.e. $8000 scholly with a $4000 grant).

givemea170

Bronze

Post by givemea170 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:09 am

Can someone list the couple of neighborhoods to look for nice apartments in that are close to LUC? Someone that knows a little bit more about the area, that is?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

station4

New

Post by station4 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:25 am

givemea170 wrote:Can someone list the couple of neighborhoods to look for nice apartments in that are close to LUC? Someone that knows a little bit more about the area, that is?
I know there are a lot of different opinions on this topic, many of which have been aired over in the DePaul 2012 thread, but I think you can pretty much live anywhere that is off the CTA Red Line and be fine commuting to LUC. The Water Tower Campus is maybe two blocks from the Chicago Red Line stop. Take a look at the CTA Red Line map here:

http://www.transitchicago.com/travel_in ... emmap.aspx

For reference, I live at the Sheridan Red Line stop, which is considered Buena Park/Wrigleyville. Sometimes it gets listed in apartment listings as Lakeview or East Lakeview. It takes me 15-20 minutes by train to get to the Chicago Red Line stop. I think that is totally reasonable and I probably pay about half the rent (at least) I would pay for a similarly sized apartment (1 bedroom, not studio) downtown or on the near North side.

If budget is no object to you, I would say Streeterville, Gold Coast, River North, and Old Town are all neighborhoods you should investigate.

h2oplyer7

Bronze

Post by h2oplyer7 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:13 am

Just found out that my Post 9/11 GI Bill with Yellow Ribbon will completely cover my tuition, books and fees. If anyone else on here is military it looks like you got a full scholarship! Love it!

checkster

Bronze

Post by checkster » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:20 am

h2oplyer7 wrote:Just found out that my Post 9/11 GI Bill with Yellow Ribbon will completely cover my tuition, books and fees. If anyone else on here is military it looks like you got a full scholarship! Love it!
Congratulations!

KayKay8709

New

Post by KayKay8709 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:24 am

h2oplyer7 wrote:Just found out that my Post 9/11 GI Bill with Yellow Ribbon will completely cover my tuition, books and fees. If anyone else on here is military it looks like you got a full scholarship! Love it!
Congrats!! And, thanks for your service!!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

givemea170

Bronze

Post by givemea170 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:37 pm

station4 wrote:
givemea170 wrote:Can someone list the couple of neighborhoods to look for nice apartments in that are close to LUC? Someone that knows a little bit more about the area, that is?
I know there are a lot of different opinions on this topic, many of which have been aired over in the DePaul 2012 thread, but I think you can pretty much live anywhere that is off the CTA Red Line and be fine commuting to LUC. The Water Tower Campus is maybe two blocks from the Chicago Red Line stop. Take a look at the CTA Red Line map here:

http://www.transitchicago.com/travel_in ... emmap.aspx

For reference, I live at the Sheridan Red Line stop, which is considered Buena Park/Wrigleyville. Sometimes it gets listed in apartment listings as Lakeview or East Lakeview. It takes me 15-20 minutes by train to get to the Chicago Red Line stop. I think that is totally reasonable and I probably pay about half the rent (at least) I would pay for a similarly sized apartment (1 bedroom, not studio) downtown or on the near North side.

If budget is no object to you, I would say Streeterville, Gold Coast, River North, and Old Town are all neighborhoods you should investigate.
Thanks. It is definitely complicated... I've been to Chicago a dozen times probably and still have no idea how to get to Wrigley Field or anywhere else. lol. I suck with directions so that doesn't help. I'll write down those neighborhoods and try to go up there and do some real searching when/if the time comes.

chunkers24

New

Post by chunkers24 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:18 pm

Has anyone heard anything about their fellowship application?

checkster

Bronze

Post by checkster » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:24 pm

Received grant info today, 12k per year. Withdrawing. Good luck all.

jgrady1

New

Post by jgrady1 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:48 pm

chunkers24 wrote:Has anyone heard anything about their fellowship application?
Which one did you apply to? I applied to the Health Law Fellowship and they told me we wouldn't hear back till beg. of April probably.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jgrady1

New

Post by jgrady1 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:48 pm

checkster wrote:Received grant info today, 12k per year. Withdrawing. Good luck all.
Did you receive a scholarship too or just the grant?

chunkers24

New

Post by chunkers24 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:07 pm

jgrady1 wrote:
chunkers24 wrote:Has anyone heard anything about their fellowship application?
Which one did you apply to? I applied to the Health Law Fellowship and they told me we wouldn't hear back till beg. of April probably.
I applied to the Child Law Fellowship. And they said that finalists will have to go through an interview process in late March. I am not sure if the Health Law fellowship works the same way...

checkster

Bronze

Post by checkster » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:10 pm

jgrady1 wrote:
checkster wrote:Received grant info today, 12k per year. Withdrawing. Good luck all.
Did you receive a scholarship too or just the grant?
Just the grant. I loved Loyola, but it just won't be an option for me at that price.

h2oplyer7

Bronze

Post by h2oplyer7 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:49 pm

Can someone post pictures of the school? Everyone says how much they love it, but I have not seen it yet. If anyone has pictures, please post.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JG7773

Bronze

Post by JG7773 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:27 pm

I attended the Merit Scholarship program and the Discover Loyola program this weekend. I have to say that I am rather impressed with the facility, current students and the faculty that were available. Obviously, they are there to sell themselves, but I feel that Dean Yellen was certainly open and candid about what to expect out of the experience.

During the program today, career services released ther employment figures for the class of 2011 and gave a nice, detailed view of the reality their students face. They seem to be improving with response rate, which gives a better salary and placement picture. There are no doubt better schools for employment, but LUC is one of the most transparent schools around when it comes to employment data, which is comforting regardless of the stats.

After the program today, we had a lunch with students and staff. Each table had a theme and prospective students had open choice on where to sit. My wife and I opted for the career services table, which was headed by the Dean of Career Services. To my shock, we were the only ones who sat at the table. We had a full hour to talk to the Dean about a wide range of employment topics. This was certainly an enlightening experience because she was able to give examples of why their employment stats are the way they are, various opportunities, and the reality of being median at LUC. I have to say that after that hour, I decided that I will be attending LUC in the fall without hesitation.

I look forward to hearing others thoughts and feedback about the program today. If you had any questions about the experience on campus, let me know and I will try to shed some light on your question, if I can.

hoosierball

New

Post by hoosierball » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:38 pm

JG7773 wrote:I attended the Merit Scholarship program and the Discover Loyola program this weekend. I have to say that I am rather impressed with the facility, current students and the faculty that were available. Obviously, they are there to sell themselves, but I feel that Dean Yellen was certainly open and candid about what to expect out of the experience.

During the program today, career services released ther employment figures for the class of 2011 and gave a nice, detailed view of the reality their students face. They seem to be improving with response rate, which gives a better salary and placement picture. There are no doubt better schools for employment, but LUC is one of the most transparent schools around when it comes to employment data, which is comforting regardless of the stats.

After the program today, we had a lunch with students and staff. Each table had a theme and prospective students had open choice on where to sit. My wife and I opted for the career services table, which was headed by the Dean of Career Services. To my shock, we were the only ones who sat at the table. We had a full hour to talk to the Dean about a wide range of employment topics. This was certainly an enlightening experience because she was able to give examples of why their employment stats are the way they are, various opportunities, and the reality of being median at LUC. I have to say that after that hour, I decided that I will be attending LUC in the fall without hesitation.

I look forward to hearing others thoughts and feedback about the program today. If you had any questions about the experience on campus, let me know and I will try to shed some light on your question, if I can.

What did they say about being at the median?
Thanks

givemea170

Bronze

Post by givemea170 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:49 am

Still waiting for scholarship info via mail.

DePaul gave 20 per year
Chicago-Kent gave 15 per year

Come on LUC, beat them!

JG7773

Bronze

Post by JG7773 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:04 pm

hoosierball wrote:
JG7773 wrote:I attended the Merit Scholarship program and the Discover Loyola program this weekend. I have to say that I am rather impressed with the facility, current students and the faculty that were available. Obviously, they are there to sell themselves, but I feel that Dean Yellen was certainly open and candid about what to expect out of the experience.

Thanks
Those around median are the students looking towards smaller firms (2-30 attorneys) to begin practice. In addition, they don't often have employment at graduation because their offer is hinged on bar passage. Once they pass the bar, the are then brought on board.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hoosierball

New

Post by hoosierball » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:46 pm

JG7773 wrote:
hoosierball wrote:

Thanks
Those around median are the students looking towards smaller firms (2-30 attorneys) to begin practice. In addition, they don't often have employment at graduation because their offer is hinged on bar passage. Once they pass the bar, the are then brought on board.
But.... many end up getting jobs? Private Practice? Did they give you a starting salary number?

flyingduck

New

Post by flyingduck » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:24 pm

Just withdrew. There should be an offer of admission and a very generous scholarship making its way to someone else's hands, shortly. :D

Bradlo722

New

Post by Bradlo722 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:51 pm

hoosierball wrote:
JG7773 wrote:
hoosierball wrote:

Thanks
But.... many end up getting jobs? Private Practice? Did they give you a starting salary number?
Only 22 out of 150 did not have jobs 9 months after Graduation. She said about half of those without jobs had never been into her office to talk to any of the career counselors. The other half had moved to another state, failed the Bar, or didn't take the July bar.

The median salary was $64,000. Which to me seems more realistic than other schools like Depaul saying that their median salary is closer to $80,000, when by far I feel that Loyola has the better employment prospects after graduation.

JG7773

Bronze

Post by JG7773 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:40 pm

I believe it was 22 out of 274. It was around 8% of the class.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”