DePaul 2011-2012 Cycle Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
CPM723

Bronze

Re: DePaul 2011-2012 Cycle

Post by CPM723 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:46 pm

I think a 3.2 is equal to the top 1/3 and I think a 2.9 is about middle 50%.

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:51 am

CPM723 wrote:I think a 3.2 is equal to the top 1/3 and I think a 2.9 is about middle 50%.
If you browse around the forums, previous threads say that 3.2 is the median. Not sure how accurate some of these claims are.

CPM723

Bronze

Post by CPM723 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:32 pm

Interesting. I guess I misinterpreted the DePaul website? The percentages may have thrown me off.

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:41 pm

CPM723 wrote:Interesting. I guess I misinterpreted the DePaul website? The percentages may have thrown me off.
The several posters who said a 3.2 was the median did not qualify themselves as DePaul law students, so they may be passing along bad information. I'll add the question to my list for my visit this week. A 3.2 median would be phenomenal.

CPM723

Bronze

Post by CPM723 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:48 pm

Yeah- that would make the scholarship even better. As of now, Loyola's guaranteed money is more appealing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:16 pm

CPM723 wrote:Yeah- that would make the scholarship even better. As of now, Loyola's guaranteed money is more appealing.
Guaranteed what? Explain!

CPM723

Bronze

Post by CPM723 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:18 pm

From what I have heard Loyola made the scholarship money guaranteed as long as you stay in good standing. There is no top 1/3 requirement or anything like that. At least that is what I got from reading last year's thread.

ChiCity22

New

Post by ChiCity22 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:02 pm

Hey guys I'm a current DePaul student so I can answer any questions anyone has about the law school or Chicago in general.

CPM723

Bronze

Post by CPM723 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:03 pm

How hard is it to maintain a 3.2?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ChiCity22

New

Post by ChiCity22 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:49 pm

Not easy from what I heard (I'm a 1L), they section stack and it seems like the library is packed with people from the scholly section all the time so there's a incredible amount of mental pressure which is something that's taken a toll on me.

Also Legal Writing at DePaul is setup differently from most other schools and is comprised of allot of busy work which is beyond annoying when allocating time.

CPM723

Bronze

Post by CPM723 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:50 pm

Why did you decide to attend DePaul? What other options did you have?

ChiCity22

New

Post by ChiCity22 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:12 pm

CPM723 wrote:Why did you decide to attend DePaul? What other options did you have?
I knew I wanted to stay in Chicago so I was basically choosing between the 3 Chicago schools, DePaul offered me the most money and I was confident the 3.3 wouldn't be too hard to hold. Kent just never appealed to me for whatever reason, when I visited it just seemed dreary and sad. One of the things that I actually enjoy at DePaul is the relationship between the students, although there's a large group of people I would never want to be around outside of class, the atmosphere is really friendly, everyone seems to find a social niche where they fit in well; didn't get this impression from Kent. Loyola was awesome but I applied really late so I didn't get any money which took it off my list. I went to under-grad there so I was familiar with the facilities and a few members of the faculty - and just felt an overall comfort there. Given some money 10-15k, I would have chosen LUC no doubt. (I got the 20k from DePaul).
I also considered some out of state schools that were ranked higher; Case Western gave me alot of money but there was no chance in hell I was going to Cleveland. And I was strongly considering Rutgers - Newark which I believe is a under-rated option, they give in-state tuition to everyone have solid placement in a state with a decent legal market and the possibility of going to NYC.

CPM723

Bronze

Post by CPM723 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:13 pm

So if Loyola was to give someone 5-10 k a year, would you consider that a better option?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:06 pm

ChiCity22 wrote:
CPM723 wrote:Why did you decide to attend DePaul? What other options did you have?
I knew I wanted to stay in Chicago so I was basically choosing between the 3 Chicago schools, DePaul offered me the most money and I was confident the 3.3 wouldn't be too hard to hold. Kent just never appealed to me for whatever reason, when I visited it just seemed dreary and sad. One of the things that I actually enjoy at DePaul is the relationship between the students, although there's a large group of people I would never want to be around outside of class, the atmosphere is really friendly, everyone seems to find a social niche where they fit in well; didn't get this impression from Kent. Loyola was awesome but I applied really late so I didn't get any money which took it off my list. I went to under-grad there so I was familiar with the facilities and a few members of the faculty - and just felt an overall comfort there. Given some money 10-15k, I would have chosen LUC no doubt. (I got the 20k from DePaul).
I also considered some out of state schools that were ranked higher; Case Western gave me alot of money but there was no chance in hell I was going to Cleveland. And I was strongly considering Rutgers - Newark which I believe is a under-rated option, they give in-state tuition to everyone have solid placement in a state with a decent legal market and the possibility of going to NYC.
I'm split between DePaul and RU-C right now. It's a tough decision. I have ties to Chicago, no ties to Philadelphia. However, both Rutgers seem to place a lot of emphasis on clinical training and that seems to make a big difference when it comes to hiring. Does DePaul have strong clinical programs? Do a lot of students have the opportunity to participate or is it highly competitive?

I have no legal connections here or in Philadelphia, so the high number of judicial clerkships out of the RU-C may provide me the chance to network with some judges. I also think that may help me find a job.

DePaul, however, is in a bigger market and its where my family resides. Looking back, what insights would you provide to someone who's split between the two?

ChiCity22

New

Post by ChiCity22 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:09 pm

CPM723 wrote:So if Loyola was to give someone 5-10 k a year, would you consider that a better option?
I think once you're talking 10k+ with no stips LUC becomes the clear better option over the 20-26k that DePaul offers. Unless of coarse you have a special reason to attend DePaul (connection / IP / Clinic).

ChiCity22

New

Post by ChiCity22 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:26 pm

mrtoren wrote:
ChiCity22 wrote:
I'm split between DePaul and RU-C right now. It's a tough decision. I have ties to Chicago, no ties to Philadelphia. However, both Rutgers seem to place a lot of emphasis on clinical training and that seems to make a big difference when it comes to hiring. Does DePaul have strong clinical programs? Do a lot of students have the opportunity to participate or is it highly competitive?

I have no legal connections here or in Philadelphia, so the high number of judicial clerkships out of the RU-C may provide me the chance to network with some judges. I also think that may help me find a job.

DePaul, however, is in a bigger market and its where my family resides. Looking back, what insights would you provide to someone who's split between the two?

I would definitely visit both schools and get a feel for the atmosphere, what aspects of the law school certain schools stress. I feel like I put too much weight into making an economic decision rather than going with my gut feeling. When I visited DePaul for ASD they put allot of emphasis into public service and volunteering which is huge here, many students are active in the community and the school generally attracts students interested in gov / public interest work. If there's students around don't hesitate to ask them about their experiences with the law school, although law students aren't my favorite people to spend time with, they are generally very approachable. That being said DePaul seems to have a very strong public interest clinic, I know a few 3Ls that are involved with it that have nothing but good things to say. The family law clinic is also spectacular if you're interested in that field, I've been involved with the family law center here and its really one of the bright aspects of the law school, if you want anymore info on that; PM me. I.P. is supposed to be strong here but I don't know anybody involved with it so there's not much I know about it.

llachans

Silver

Post by llachans » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:51 pm

In! $25k/year.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:43 pm

Just got back from DePaul law. Here are my impressions..

General:
- The infosession before the tour was decent. The staff was very courteous and easy to talk. We started it off by heading into a conference room where the admissions director gave his pitch and opened the floor to questions. The other prospective students seemed nice, but were somewhat pretentious for a school at this level.

- One of the things I will knock DePaul on is transparency. The admissions director gave a great speech on managing debt, but evaded my questions about scholarship retention. It basically ended with him unable to recall the percentage of students who maintain their scholarships after 1L..a figure which he has to know.

- Questions about the 1L curve were also left without a definitive answer..the director and our student guide believe it is somewhere around a 3.0.

- The 3.2 stipulation is supposedly around the top 35% of the class.

Facilities:
- The building, like many in the area, is obviously pretty old. Nevertheless, DePaul has tried to keep up with the times by doing some recent renovations. The admissions office is absolutely gorgeous..I mean beautiful hardwoods, new furniture, nice decorations, everything.

- Touring the school, we visited several classrooms. The first was an example of a smaller class room that usually holds legal writing or upper division classes. They're pretty bad. The tables look like they're out of a science lab and the hard plastic chairs look back-breaking. A few power outlets are scattered on the perimeter walls, but you SOL if you come to class late and have to sit in the middle. The rest of the equipment and furniture looks pretty dated as well.

- The next classroom we visited was an example of a larger 1L lecture room. These have been recently renovated and are AWESOME. The tables are curved into an auditorium style set up and the chairs are arm-pivoting, mesh back style. Power outlets are provided for each seat, under the table. All equipment looks brand new.

- The law library is extremely nice as well. Seating is plentiful, its quiet, well lit and their collection of materials is pretty sizable.

- The student lounge also appears to have been renovated. It's spacious, full of seating and looks like a great place to spend down time.

CPM723

Bronze

Post by CPM723 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:38 am

mrtoren wrote:Just got back from DePaul law. Here are my impressions..

General:
- The infosession before the tour was decent. The staff was very courteous and easy to talk. We started it off by heading into a conference room where the admissions director gave his pitch and opened the floor to questions. The other prospective students seemed nice, but were somewhat pretentious for a school at this level.

- One of the things I will knock DePaul on is transparency. The admissions director gave a great speech on managing debt, but evaded my questions about scholarship retention. It basically ended with him unable to recall the percentage of students who maintain their scholarships after 1L..a figure which he has to know.

- Questions about the 1L curve were also left without a definitive answer..the director and our student guide believe it is somewhere around a 3.0.

- The 3.2 stipulation is supposedly around the top 35% of the class.

Facilities:
- The building, like many in the area, is obviously pretty old. Nevertheless, DePaul has tried to keep up with the times by doing some recent renovations. The admissions office is absolutely gorgeous..I mean beautiful hardwoods, new furniture, nice decorations, everything.

- Touring the school, we visited several classrooms. The first was an example of a smaller class room that usually holds legal writing or upper division classes. They're pretty bad. The tables look like they're out of a science lab and the hard plastic chairs look back-breaking. A few power outlets are scattered on the perimeter walls, but you SOL if you come to class late and have to sit in the middle. The rest of the equipment and furniture looks pretty dated as well.

- The next classroom we visited was an example of a larger 1L lecture room. These have been recently renovated and are AWESOME. The tables are curved into an auditorium style set up and the chairs are arm-pivoting, mesh back style. Power outlets are provided for each seat, under the table. All equipment looks brand new.

- The law library is extremely nice as well. Seating is plentiful, its quiet, well lit and their collection of materials is pretty sizable.

- The student lounge also appears to have been renovated. It's spacious, full of seating and looks like a great place to spend down time.
That sounds pretty impressive. I plan on visiting sometime next semester, and hope to get a feel for the building. Did it push DePaul up your list?

Also, has anyone tried calling admissions about the curve?

MormonChristian

Bronze

Post by MormonChristian » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:59 am

mrtoren wrote:Just got back from DePaul law. Here are my impressions..

General:
The admissions director gave a great speech on managing debt, but evaded my questions about scholarship retention. It basically ended with him unable to recall the percentage of students who maintain their scholarships after 1L..a figure which he has to know. .

Don't they realize we can see right through that?

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:39 pm

CPM723 wrote:That sounds pretty impressive. I plan on visiting sometime next semester, and hope to get a feel for the building. Did it push DePaul up your list?
Yes and no. I like the law school a lot, but the price tag still scares the hell out of me. I don't know the extent of DePaul's section stacking and they're not about to tell you that either. If I lost the scholarship money, I would seriously weigh dropping out of law school and that's not something that I want to do. The option to keep 50% is somewhat reassuring, but the debt load would still be enormous. On the other hand, it is in Chicago and it does place fairly well if you work hard enough.

Its a tough decision.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CPM723

Bronze

Post by CPM723 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:47 pm

Yeah that is rough. Loyola's decision will help me decide if DePaul is right for me.

nickjive

Bronze

Post by nickjive » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:16 am

They sent me a T-shirt in the mail! It gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling about DePaul. Quite nice of them to do that.

puremorning

Silver

Post by puremorning » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:51 am

nickjive wrote:They sent me a T-shirt in the mail! It gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling about DePaul. Quite nice of them to do that.
Haha me too! I gave it to my dad b/c it was far too large for me, but it was a nice gesture!

RaleighStClair

Bronze

Post by RaleighStClair » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:44 pm

"Decision rendered" as of today. Anyone know how long and through what medium a decision will be sent?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”