BYU 2012 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
navigator

New

Re: BYU 2012

Post by navigator » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:58 pm

I am currently serving on active duty, and hope to be attending through the Navy's Law Education Program wherever I go (selection board meets Jan 31). It's a very generous program that funds full tuition, and allows me to stay active duty with full pay and benefits while attending law school full-time. So, if I am selected by the Navy then cost is not an issue - if not, then I probably won't be attending law school this cycle anyway!

trace30

New

Post by trace30 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:41 pm

navigator wrote:I am currently serving on active duty, and hope to be attending through the Navy's Law Education Program wherever I go (selection board meets Jan 31). It's a very generous program that funds full tuition, and allows me to stay active duty with full pay and benefits while attending law school full-time. So, if I am selected by the Navy then cost is not an issue - if not, then I probably won't be attending law school this cycle anyway!
In my opinion, this is a slam-dunk for you. If you get accepted into NLEP, for professional career development and the contacts you'll make over 3 years inside the Beltway, you need to go to GULC. I'm not banging on BYU here (I'm an alum), but for you the cards are dealt alittle bit differently; Duke and Chicago are not for you either.

I personally thank you for your service to the people of the United States of America! Go Navy!

navigator

New

Post by navigator » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:14 pm

We'll see - unlike most other TLS posters, the prestige of the law school I attend will have very little impact on my professional experience after graduation. Either way I would probably be looking at at least 10 more years in the Navy doing the same JAG work (and getting paid the same) as someone who graduated from the Thomas M. Cooley Law School.

BYU has a lot of benefits over GULC in my opinion:
- class size advantage (150 vs. 470 FT students per class)
- quality of life (particularly with my wife and children in mind here)
- convenience (commuting around D.C. is just no fun, whereas I could probably ride my bike to BYU in 10 min or less)

Of course I appreciate that the Georgetown degree could be an advantage in my post-Navy life, but there's a lot of time between now and then.

snd1988

New

Post by snd1988 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:49 pm

navigator wrote:Had the phone interview yesterday with Dean Hernandez. He offered admission plus a scholarship! We had a great conversation, in which he framed several unique reasons to consider attending BYU, which obviously is a very different institution than most other law schools. I plan on visiting in March, and will very seriously consider this offer.

Are you a member or non-member? I am non member and I want a scholarship, lol. I hope you like it! The price is unbeatable no matter your church status. Congrats!

navigator

New

Post by navigator » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:17 am

Thanks, and yes, I am a member. Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

YankeeFan2

Bronze

Post by YankeeFan2 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:41 am

I feel like BYU is being so slow on making decisions. I applied here first and have not heard a thing from them but applied to other schools later and have decisions back. Which they would just start sending out decisions! :)

sabenser

Bronze

Post by sabenser » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:19 pm

I know the professors have been working overtime on getting grades done from last semester. They are being released today, so admission decisions should start coming more quickly.

YankeeFan2

Bronze

Post by YankeeFan2 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:22 pm

sabenser wrote:I know the professors have been working overtime on getting grades done from last semester. They are being released today, so admission decisions should start coming more quickly.
Are you a current student? Have "insider information?" :) Or just a good guess?

sabenser

Bronze

Post by sabenser » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:34 pm

YankeeFan2 wrote:
sabenser wrote:I know the professors have been working overtime on getting grades done from last semester. They are being released today, so admission decisions should start coming more quickly.
Are you a current student? Have "insider information?" :) Or just a good guess?
I'm a 1L. Everyone is so nervous for our first grades release. Mine is being released at 4:20pm today.

Be excited for what you have to look forward to in a year's time, ha.

But yeah, they emailed us yesterday and told us not to expect grades this week, but the law school registrar worked through the night and we are getting them on time (today) after all. Point is, getting the grades done seems like it has consumed the administration and now they can focus on admissions.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cougarlive

Bronze

Post by cougarlive » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:55 pm

YankeeFan2 wrote:I feel like BYU is being so slow on making decisions. I applied here first and have not heard a thing from them but applied to other schools later and have decisions back. Which they would just start sending out decisions! :)

Their admissions process is very unique, in that they can afford to wait to get a good feel for their entire applicant pool before making decisions. From what I heard they are the 2nd most popular law school (meaning of the students that get accepted to BYU, the vast majority matriculate.). Given the type of student BYU attracts (predominantly Mormon students with good metrics who can get into higher ranked schools) BYU doesn't have many competitors, in that many students who can go to a better school, sometimes choose BYU for the unique things that school can offer. For the students who can go to "peer schools" who are similarly ranked, many would choose BYU anyway to take advantage of the low tuition, placement, etc. On top of that, the school has a relatively small class size, which means they can be even more selective. Also, I don't get the impression that they are trying to game the rankings in the same way other schools might... Which once again means they can be more selective. If I were BYU, I would wait till I got a good feel for the applicant pool, since past cycles indicate whether you accept students early or late in the cycle, the vast majority will still matriculate.

The first people you would start notifying are those with numbers in the higher range of LSAT/GPA, but even then, no reason to rush.

YankeeFan2

Bronze

Post by YankeeFan2 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:14 am

Still nothing .... maybe everyone is recovering from getting grades out!

snd1988

New

Post by snd1988 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:15 pm

Be patient! It will be worth it. So far, two of us here have gotten acceptances...so it does seem to be moving slow. Don't lose hope and good luck! I know they had a huge power outage somewhat recently so maybe that is why they are a little behind. :)

YankeeFan2

Bronze

Post by YankeeFan2 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:58 pm

Seeing I have already been accepted to multiple peer schools and some top 20 schools -- most likely going to withdraw from BYU. If they are this slow and unprofessional with admissions process -- it doesn't seem like a place I would want to spend 3 years.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

El_Gallo

Bronze

Post by El_Gallo » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:04 am

I had a phone interview with Dean Hernandez the other day. He offered me a spot in the class. I am not 100 percent set on BYU, but it is a really nice option to have. I hope some of you other guys start hearing back soon!

El_Gallo

Bronze

Post by El_Gallo » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:10 am

YankeeFan2 wrote:Seeing I have already been accepted to multiple peer schools and some top 20 schools -- most likely going to withdraw from BYU. If they are this slow and unprofessional with admissions process -- it doesn't seem like a place I would want to spend 3 years.
Yeah I have not been impressed with the admissions processes so far. I had hoped that the phone interview would open a good dialogue about some questions I have about BYU. Instead it was more of a wam bam thank you ma'am meeting.

However, I understand that they must be very busy. With such low tuition, they must have to operate on a pretty small budget compared to other schools.

YankeeFan2

Bronze

Post by YankeeFan2 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:29 am

El_Gallo wrote:
YankeeFan2 wrote:Seeing I have already been accepted to multiple peer schools and some top 20 schools -- most likely going to withdraw from BYU. If they are this slow and unprofessional with admissions process -- it doesn't seem like a place I would want to spend 3 years.
Yeah I have not been impressed with the admissions processes so far. I had hoped that the phone interview would open a good dialogue about some questions I have about BYU. Instead it was more of a wam bam thank you ma'am meeting.

However, I understand that they must be very busy. With such low tuition, they must have to operate on a pretty small budget compared to other schools.
BYU wants to pretend that it is this top-tier school -- but bottom line it is just a middle of the road T-50 school like Maryland, Utah, or Arizona State. Part of me wants to get accepted and when they tell me -- just to tell them no and hear the shock in their voice that someone would actually turn down an acceptance!

jenkswarrior

New

Post by jenkswarrior » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:21 am

I've been looking for this thread for weeks! It's good to know that the admissions process has been dragging for everyone. My "under review" date has been changed at least twice. The tuition is a great deal, but you also have to weigh in BYU's reputation for being super-competitive when deciding if it's the right school. However, it feels like I'll be waiting until Armageddon to find out if I'll even be offered admission, so it may be a moot point. I'd love to hear updates whenever anyone sees movement.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

YankeeFan2

Bronze

Post by YankeeFan2 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:16 am

So, I emailed the admissions office the other day to ask about my application. I was told that I had been reviewed a few times but the committee didn't want to really begin admitting many people until they had more applications with which to make comparisons. I was then told that they hope to have all decisions released by May 1. Seriously! By May 1, I would hope to not only know where I am going but to also have my housing plans arranged. Do they think they are the only choice!

bulldoglaw

New

Post by bulldoglaw » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:02 pm

Submitted in November, been under review since 1/12

YankeeFan2

Bronze

Post by YankeeFan2 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:09 pm

bulldoglaw wrote:Submitted in November, been under review since 1/12
PM me and I can give you some insight on BYU and my interactions with them.

cougarlive

Bronze

Post by cougarlive » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:27 pm

YankeeFan2 wrote:
Yankee, did you go to BYU undergrad?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

YankeeFan2

Bronze

Post by YankeeFan2 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:37 pm

cougarlive wrote:
YankeeFan2 wrote:
Yankee, did you go to BYU undergrad?
Yup.

austrascruff

New

Post by austrascruff » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:58 am

Submitted in September and don't expect to hear from them until March. Waitlisted until August, first day of classes last time, so literally almost 1 full year from application to rejection. If you want a speedy decision, you better look elsewhere. Settle in 'cause its going to be a long ride, at least for a lot of applicants. Just like cougarlive said, they can afford to wait and do have a unique admissions process.

snd1988

New

Post by snd1988 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:31 am

I was on the waitlist last year until the day before classes. But this time around my letter came fairly quickly...but in total it was a year an a half almost from application to acceptance. Haha. Good luck, guys!

YankeeFan2

Bronze

Post by YankeeFan2 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:19 pm

austrascruff wrote:Submitted in September and don't expect to hear from them until March. Waitlisted until August, first day of classes last time, so literally almost 1 full year from application to rejection. If you want a speedy decision, you better look elsewhere. Settle in 'cause its going to be a long ride, at least for a lot of applicants. Just like cougarlive said, they can afford to wait and do have a unique admissions process.
It guess it takes "unique" people like you to wait "literally almost 1 full year" for a rejection!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”