BYU 2012 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
davidfett

New

Re: BYU 2012

Post by davidfett » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:47 pm

So I got waitlisted, no call, no ask for any more info. What're my odds of getting in? Also, do they generally let you know like right before classes start? That kinda sucks. I have plans I want to make, and dropping everything at the last minute is hard to do... 159 LSAT and 3.8GPA

Trying a JD 2012

New

Post by Trying a JD 2012 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:34 pm

davidfett wrote:So I got waitlisted, no call, no ask for any more info. What're my odds of getting in? Also, do they generally let you know like right before classes start? That kinda sucks. I have plans I want to make, and dropping everything at the last minute is hard to do... 159 LSAT and 3.8GPA
I am in the same situation......just want to get into BYU!

Utah12

New

Post by Utah12 » Sat May 05, 2012 5:10 pm

I was placed on the waiting list a few weeks ago like many of you. I received a surprise email last week asking if I could come talk to Dean Hernandez. He said that if I would for sure accept, he would offer me admission. I told him that I would likely accept so he gave me the weekend to talk it over with my wife before I gave him my official answer. I have already paid a seat deposit at another school that I love but I think I will probably be attending BYU this fall. I had heard a lot of people talking about how hard it is to get in off the waiting list, but I personally know several people who have done so at BYU in recent years. It is not as uncommon as some would have you believe. Anything can happen! I wish you all the best of luck!

davidfett

New

Post by davidfett » Tue May 08, 2012 9:31 am

Utah12 wrote:I was placed on the waiting list a few weeks ago like many of you. I received a surprise email last week asking if I could come talk to Dean Hernandez. He said that if I would for sure accept, he would offer me admission. I told him that I would likely accept so he gave me the weekend to talk it over with my wife before I gave him my official answer. I have already paid a seat deposit at another school that I love but I think I will probably be attending BYU this fall. I had heard a lot of people talking about how hard it is to get in off the waiting list, but I personally know several people who have done so at BYU in recent years. It is not as uncommon as some would have you believe. Anything can happen! I wish you all the best of luck!
Literally the exact same thing for me. Once I told the Dean that I was able to commit to BYU, I received a spot. The stipulation is that I have to state that I will for sure be attending BYU. Since BYU was my #1 though, thats a no brainer! See you all in the fall!

snd1988

New

Post by snd1988 » Thu May 10, 2012 4:31 am

I just responded to you, David on your other thread. Good choice. See you in August!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Trying a JD 2012

New

Post by Trying a JD 2012 » Sun May 13, 2012 11:20 pm

I would appreciate any help that anyone can give. I am currently waitlisted and would love to attend. I have shared my desire to attend with Dean Kuchar. I know that some schools don't have a seat deposit amount or date and most schools do. My question is: Does BYU have dates for first and second seat deposits? If so, would any one be willing to share those dates with me? I would just like to see, hopefully, when I may hear back from them. Also, does anyone have any idea if they are heavily using the waitlist this year? Also, anything else that I could do to help my chances?

I know this is a lot of information -- but I would love to attend at BYU.

EDIT: Thank you.

snd1988

New

Post by snd1988 » Tue May 15, 2012 5:16 am

Trying a JD 2012 wrote:I would appreciate any help that anyone can give. I am currently waitlisted and would love to attend. I have shared my desire to attend with Dean Kuchar. I know that some schools don't have a seat deposit amount or date and most schools do. My question is: Does BYU have dates for first and second seat deposits? If so, would any one be willing to share those dates with me? I would just like to see, hopefully, when I may hear back from them. Also, does anyone have any idea if they are heavily using the waitlist this year? Also, anything else that I could do to help my chances?

There is only one seat deposit and it was due April 15. There are about 74 students added to the admitted students Facebook group, and I assume there are those without a Facebook that have been admitted.

I am not sure to what extent they are taking students off the waitlist but I know there have been a couple already. The waitlist process at BYU takes a long time because it isn't ranked. It's a pool, and when a spot opens they will review everyone on the waitlist, drop some, admit however many spots they have, and keep others waitlisted. I was on the waitlist until the day before classes started and then I got a call offering deferred admission. I know of a couple people who got a call the day before telling them to get on a plane and be there. Pay a deposit at your second choice and wait it out. Sorry it has been such a slow process. :/ Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Trying a JD 2012

New

Post by Trying a JD 2012 » Tue May 29, 2012 1:41 pm

snd1988 wrote:
Trying a JD 2012 wrote:I would appreciate any help that anyone can give. I am currently waitlisted and would love to attend. I have shared my desire to attend with Dean Kuchar. I know that some schools don't have a seat deposit amount or date and most schools do. My question is: Does BYU have dates for first and second seat deposits? If so, would any one be willing to share those dates with me? I would just like to see, hopefully, when I may hear back from them. Also, does anyone have any idea if they are heavily using the waitlist this year? Also, anything else that I could do to help my chances?

There is only one seat deposit and it was due April 15. There are about 74 students added to the admitted students Facebook group, and I assume there are those without a Facebook that have been admitted.

I am not sure to what extent they are taking students off the waitlist but I know there have been a couple already. The waitlist process at BYU takes a long time because it isn't ranked. It's a pool, and when a spot opens they will review everyone on the waitlist, drop some, admit however many spots they have, and keep others waitlisted. I was on the waitlist until the day before classes started and then I got a call offering deferred admission. I know of a couple people who got a call the day before telling them to get on a plane and be there. Pay a deposit at your second choice and wait it out. Sorry it has been such a slow process. :/ Keeping my fingers crossed for you!
Thanks for keeping your fingers crossed. I am keeping in contact with Ms. Kuchar every few weeks to let her know I am still very interested. Is there anything more that I should/could be doing at this time?

Any help from any person would be appreciated.

Thank you.

dave514

New

Post by dave514 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:02 am

I'm still on the wait list and hoping to hear something soon. Is anyone else in the same situation? I know they've already accepted some people off the wait list. I wonder how many applicants are still left on the wait list.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JDAviator

New

Post by JDAviator » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:23 pm

I received the email last week to stay on the waitlist. I am staying on. I have a friend who received it too and stayed on. So there are atleast three of us! I have heard from acquaintances that they know people on BYU's waitlist this year too. So unless I am randomly running into people who know everyone else on the waitlist, I would guess there are still a lot of us in the pool.

JDAviator

New

Post by JDAviator » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:29 pm

I was just thinking. . . Did people get rejection letters from the waitlist or was it just an update to make sure that we wanted to stay on the list?

dave514

New

Post by dave514 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:55 pm

I'm not 100% certain but I think they have rejected some off the wait list. It's tough to know the chances of getting accepted off the wait list though since they don't provide any numbers or anything. For all we know they have 100 people left on the wait list and they are still waiting for spots to open up! It makes it tough for making plans but I ultimately decided to stay on the wait list as well.

Trying a JD 2012

New

Post by Trying a JD 2012 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:18 pm

dave514 wrote:I'm still on the wait list and hoping to hear something soon. Is anyone else in the same situation? I know they've already accepted some people off the wait list. I wonder how many applicants are still left on the wait list.
+1 I did speak with GaeLynn and she said that they still have a few spots and will be offering those at some point.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Trying a JD 2012

New

Post by Trying a JD 2012 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:19 pm

JDAviator wrote:I received the email last week to stay on the waitlist. I am staying on. I have a friend who received it too and stayed on. So there are atleast three of us! I have heard from acquaintances that they know people on BYU's waitlist this year too. So unless I am randomly running into people who know everyone else on the waitlist, I would guess there are still a lot of us in the pool.
Me too!

dave514

New

Post by dave514 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:44 pm

Any wait list updates from anyone?

JDAviator

New

Post by JDAviator » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:44 pm

Nothing on my end. I think the admission committee are probably meeting tomorrow or later to discuss the rest of the spots since we were supposed to respond by today if we wanted to stay on.

Trying a JD 2012

New

Post by Trying a JD 2012 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:19 pm

I completely agree with your thinking JDAviator. I am not sure how many spots are left at this point but I know there are some. Also, I do know 3 people personally who were on the waitlist but asked to be removed this last time as they made other plans for law school for next year. I think the waiting game was just too much since they had to make plans to move families, etc....

Good luck to you all!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dave514

New

Post by dave514 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:05 pm

Yeah it's tough waiting this long without a decision. I can completely understand why people would decide to be removed from the wait list especially with July approaching soon. However I decided for me it is worth the wait even if I end up getting rejected. Hopefully we start hearing something soon! I think with today being the deadline to let them know if we want to still remain on the wait list they should be making some decisions soon.

mccline

New

Post by mccline » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:40 pm

Wait Listed as well. 161 LSAT 3.54 GPA

I'm not sure what my chances are.

JDAviator

New

Post by JDAviator » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:54 pm

:wink:
Last edited by JDAviator on Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trying a JD 2012

New

Post by Trying a JD 2012 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:58 am

JDAviator wrote:150 LSAT 3.91 GPA. So mccline I think you have better chances than me! Unless GPA is weighted more than LSAT.
What are your numbers Dave514 & TryingaJD2012?
My numbers are similar to the rest of y'all! I am surprised to be on the WL at this point. Although I just got accepted to a T-20 this week (from WL) I still want to attend BYU Law. I am not sure why other "higher ranked" schools have accepted me while BYU has kept me waiting so long! :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dave514

New

Post by dave514 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:34 am

My numbers are also very similar to everyone else on here who has posted. I think as far as GPA/LSAT goes we are all pretty close to each other. I am not sure what the difference will be between who they choose to accept/reject. Maybe personal statements, background, and letters of recommendation?

JDAviator

New

Post by JDAviator » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:54 pm

I think it is diversity. Other schools outside of Utah probably want LDS students. My buddy got into Notre Dame early on but did not get into BYU.
Last edited by JDAviator on Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dave514

New

Post by dave514 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:03 pm

Anyone hear anything recently from BYU?

JDAviator

New

Post by JDAviator » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:47 pm

dave514 wrote:Anyone hear anything recently from BYU?
Nope. Nothing.

What are your back up plans if BYU doesn't come through for you this year?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”