BYU 2012 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jenkswarrior

New

Re: BYU 2012

Post by jenkswarrior » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:40 pm

Trying a JD 2012 wrote:I posted yesterday and hadn't heard anything. Is there anyone that can answer my question about if I should call or not? If you want to send me a PM instead that would be fine. Thank you for your help.
I haven't been accepted yet, but I think I can help. What do you mean by "haven't heard anything"? Has your file gone into review? If you're still stuck at complete then that's a little strange but I wouldn't panic. If your file IS in review, then you're exactly on par with 85% of us, and I wouldn't panic. Most of us on here have been waiting a long time, I'd expect most people to hear back from them the first couple weeks of March.
So basically, don't panic, and decisions (hopefully) will start coming en mass within 3 weeks.

Trying a JD 2012

New

Post by Trying a JD 2012 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:44 pm

jenkswarrior wrote:
Trying a JD 2012 wrote:I posted yesterday and hadn't heard anything. Is there anyone that can answer my question about if I should call or not? If you want to send me a PM instead that would be fine. Thank you for your help.
I haven't been accepted yet, but I think I can help. What do you mean by "haven't heard anything"? Has your file gone into review? If you're still stuck at complete then that's a little strange but I wouldn't panic. If your file IS in review, then you're exactly on par with 85% of us, and I wouldn't panic. Most of us on here have been waiting a long time, I'd expect most people to hear back from them the first couple weeks of March.
So basically, don't panic, and decisions (hopefully) will start coming en mass within 3 weeks.
Thank you! That is really comforting. I am in review -- but I haven't heard from them whereas I have heard from all of my other schools except one. So, right now I am just waiting for that other school and BYU. So, since you think it will be so late into March....would it be a bad idea to put down a seat deposit at my other top choice and then wait to find out about BYU? Anyone with any suggestions would be appreciated.

sabenser

Bronze

Post by sabenser » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:43 pm

Send GaeLynn an email. People email her for updates pretty often.

snd1988

New

Post by snd1988 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:57 pm

Trying a JD 2012 wrote:I was hoping someone here who has been accepted or is a student at BYU could help me. I submitted my application at the very end of December and I haven't heard anything from them. How long should I wait before I call them?
BYU, like most schools, works on rolling admissions. If you submitted your application at the end of December, say six weeks ago, it is unlikely that you will hear anything until, say, March. Be patient. The reason they have a waitlist is so they don't fill up all the seats right away. Your application may be reviewed with people who are waitlisted at a later date. I wouldn't call or email to check on a status. It isn't going to help your chances and will probably just get you a basic "We haven't completed reviewing the applications" response. BYU has been known to admit students the day that classes begin (i.e. after the orientation).

Speaking of which...Don't worry about Yankee you guys, he is wasting his $200...because when he doesn't show up at orientation, they will simply call someone on the waitlist and offer them his seat, and they won't have to pay the deposit. Whoever that ends up being should thank the guy for paying his or her seat deposit on their behalf. <3

P.S. I received a packet in the mail from BYU today. It has access to the student portal as well as a package of all the classes and their descriptions. It looks interesting and challenging...so, I certainly hope some of us can form real friendships once at school. We will need the study buddies pretty badly. :)

Trying a JD 2012

New

Post by Trying a JD 2012 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:29 pm

Just checking in here and seeing if anyone was here. :) Still nothing yet but I haven't given up hope!

Just wanted to get anyone's input about putting down seat deposit money at another school (which I would attend) since their date for having money deposited is before when I may hear from BYU. Does that make sense? I know I would lose the money if I got into BYU and decided to go.

Thanks for your help! :D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

snd1988

New

Post by snd1988 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:20 pm

Trying a JD 2012 wrote:Just checking in here and seeing if anyone was here. :) Still nothing yet but I haven't given up hope!

Just wanted to get anyone's input about putting down seat deposit money at another school (which I would attend) since their date for having money deposited is before when I may hear from BYU. Does that make sense? I know I would lose the money if I got into BYU and decided to go.

Give BYU a call. Tell them you got an acceptance from another school and need to put a deposit down but BYU is your first choice. They might try and speed up the process for you. I know this worked for some students on last year's forum.

Trying a JD 2012

New

Post by Trying a JD 2012 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:14 pm

snd1988 wrote:
Trying a JD 2012 wrote:Just checking in here and seeing if anyone was here. :) Still nothing yet but I haven't given up hope!

Give BYU a call. Tell them you got an acceptance from another school and need to put a deposit down but BYU is your first choice. They might try and speed up the process for you. I know this worked for some students on last year's forum.
Thank you so much. I am going call them and actually let them know I will be in Provo this week and would like to visit the law school and classes. Maybe this would be a good time to speak with the dean and let her know I have been accepted to some other schools -- but would for sure choose BYU if accepted. I would just hate to put seat deposit money in at a school and then lose it.

jenkswarrior

New

Post by jenkswarrior » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:40 pm

My question's actually really similar to the post above! I'd like some advice, I'm going to be in prove in a week or two, but only for Fri. afternoon and the weekend. I'd like to check out BYU, but I'm not sure what to do as far as contacting people. I can't imaginie walking into the admissions office and saying "Hey! BYU's my top school, I'm just checking things out, my file's in review... how's that coming along anyway?" would be the best way to go about things. Anyone have advice?

snd1988

New

Post by snd1988 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:20 pm

jenkswarrior wrote:My question's actually really similar to the post above! I'd like some advice, I'm going to be in prove in a week or two, but only for Fri. afternoon and the weekend. I'd like to check out BYU, but I'm not sure what to do as far as contacting people. I can't imaginie walking into the admissions office and saying "Hey! BYU's my top school, I'm just checking things out, my file's in review... how's that coming along anyway?" would be the best way to go about things. Anyone have advice?

I did this. Haha. I drove to Provo from California, walked up to admissions and waited outside Dean Hernandez's office for him to get there. Granted, I had a friend who knew someone there and I met up with the student. But I am almost positive my self invited interview is what got me accepted. And I know this because my scores were just average...nowhere near worshipping. But I made my case as to why I would be successful there and why I wanted to attend...what I could bring to BYU that was unique. I made my case and then kept in touch with Dean Hernandez semi-regularly by sending him an email every few weeks or so letting him know where I was in the process. Just like when you apply for a job, if you make yourself stand out it is a good thing. You don't have to inquire about your status if you go if that seems pushy to you. Just tell them you wanted to introduce yourself.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

yeast master

New

Post by yeast master » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:44 pm

Don't pay your seat deposit somewhere else until the deadline. If the deadline comes and you still don't have a final decision from BYU, pay the deposit. I don't see any reason to pay somewhere else before it's absolutely necessary. Your spot is secure until the deadline.

sabenser

Bronze

Post by sabenser » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:54 pm

snd1988 wrote:
jenkswarrior wrote:My question's actually really similar to the post above! I'd like some advice, I'm going to be in prove in a week or two, but only for Fri. afternoon and the weekend. I'd like to check out BYU, but I'm not sure what to do as far as contacting people. I can't imaginie walking into the admissions office and saying "Hey! BYU's my top school, I'm just checking things out, my file's in review... how's that coming along anyway?" would be the best way to go about things. Anyone have advice?

I did this. Haha. I drove to Provo from California, walked up to admissions and waited outside Dean Hernandez's office for him to get there. Granted, I had a friend who knew someone there and I met up with the student. But I am almost positive my self invited interview is what got me accepted. And I know this because my scores were just average...nowhere near worshipping. But I made my case as to why I would be successful there and why I wanted to attend...what I could bring to BYU that was unique. I made my case and then kept in touch with Dean Hernandez semi-regularly by sending him an email every few weeks or so letting him know where I was in the process. Just like when you apply for a job, if you make yourself stand out it is a good thing. You don't have to inquire about your status if you go if that seems pushy to you. Just tell them you wanted to introduce yourself.
I didn't do any of this when I was accepted last year, but I don't think it is a bad idea. You might as well stop by and say all that stuff. It will only show them that you're interested and have initiative. If you don't know anyone here, I'm a current student and could show you around.

Trying a JD 2012

New

Post by Trying a JD 2012 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:56 pm

yeast master wrote:

Don't pay your seat deposit somewhere else until the deadline. If the deadline comes and you still don't have a final decision from BYU, pay the deposit. I don't see any reason to pay somewhere else before it's absolutely necessary. Your spot is secure until the deadline.
Sounds good. I was just trying to plan since my seat deposits at my other two top choices are due between April 1 and April 6. Reading through this posting makes it seem like I won't know from BYU until mid-April at the earliest but probably closer to May. Is that right?

austrascruff

New

Post by austrascruff » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:54 am

Trying a JD 2012 wrote:
yeast master wrote:

Sounds good. I was just trying to plan since my seat deposits at my other two top choices are due between April 1 and April 6. Reading through this posting makes it seem like I won't know from BYU until mid-April at the earliest but probably closer to May. Is that right?
From my experience applying a few years back, you will probably be hearing from them within the next few weeks. Mid-March would be my guess.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

El_Gallo

Bronze

Post by El_Gallo » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:03 am

Austascruff, are you a current BYU student?

jenkswarrior

New

Post by jenkswarrior » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:47 am

Thanks for your input guys! And Sabenser, I know a 1L at the Y who's planning on giving me the grand tour', but I really appreciate you offering! Ha, now I'm nervous, I've got to figure out what to say when I storm the admissions office.

austrascruff

New

Post by austrascruff » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:24 pm

El_Gallo wrote:Austascruff, are you a current BYU student?
No, I applied a few years back, got accepted at the U and waitlisted at BYU. I deferred because I found out I was pregnant (we weren't supposed to be able to get pregnant according to the Doctors). So now I'm just going through the process again.

El_Gallo

Bronze

Post by El_Gallo » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:26 pm

austrascruff wrote:
No, I applied a few years back, got accepted at the U and waitlisted at BYU. I deferred because I found out I was pregnant (we weren't supposed to be able to get pregnant according to the Doctors). So now I'm just going through the process again.
Ok, gotchya. Well, I hope you have better luck this time around!

Has anybody heard any anecdotes about how current BYU students are doing job wise? The new NLJ Go-To Law School list does not paint a pretty picture for the cougars. The only BYU alum I know graduated at median during the height of the recession and was never able to find a legal job. I love the school's low tuition, but priority number one is getting a decent job.

On another note, are any other admitted students planning on attending the General Conference reception? I just got an email invite and it sounds like a great way to start networking.
Last edited by El_Gallo on Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sabenser

Bronze

Post by sabenser » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:44 pm

El_Gallo wrote:
austrascruff wrote:

Has anybody heard any anecdotes about how current BYU students are doing job wise? The new NLG Go-To Law School list does not paint a pretty picture for the cougars. The only BYU alum I know graduated at median during the height of the recession and was never able to find a legal job. I love the school's low tuition, but priority number one is getting a decent job.

On another note, are any other admitted students planning on attending the General Conference reception? I just got an email invite and it sounds like a great way to start networking.
They post all their most recent job statistics here, http://www.law2.byu.edu/page/categories ... salary.pdf

El_Gallo

Bronze

Post by El_Gallo » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:11 am

sabenser wrote:
El_Gallo wrote:
austrascruff wrote:

Has anybody heard any anecdotes about how current BYU students are doing job wise? The new NLG Go-To Law School list does not paint a pretty picture for the cougars. The only BYU alum I know graduated at median during the height of the recession and was never able to find a legal job. I love the school's low tuition, but priority number one is getting a decent job.

They post all their most recent job statistics here, http://www.law2.byu.edu/page/categories ... salary.pdf
Thanks, that is interesting. I wish the percentage reporting salary was more complete.

yeast master

New

Post by yeast master » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:43 am

El_Gallo wrote:
austrascruff wrote:

Has anybody heard any anecdotes about how current BYU students are doing job wise? The new NLJ Go-To Law School list does not paint a pretty picture for the cougars. The only BYU alum I know graduated at median during the height of the recession and was never able to find a legal job. I love the school's low tuition, but priority number one is getting a decent job.

I don't think things are going great in general, but it could be worse. Most of the people I know of in the top 15% of the class have good things lined up. Not everyone at the top of the class has done well, but part of that is poor job search strategy. You can't really count on OCI, although some big, national firms do come and make offers. And SLC is a small, competitive market, so you can't count on getting a job with a high salary there.

Below the top of the class, there are people who have good things going and there are others who don't have anything. It's pretty much what you would expect from a school of BYU's rank in a down job market.

You're right that priority #1 has to be getting a job. I had that job prospects vs. low tuition dilemma when I was deciding where to go. It wasn't as risky for me to go to a lower-ranked school like BYU because I have good patent law credentials. If I didn't have that (and if I were younger and/or childless), I think the best decision would have been to go T-14.

That said, there is something to be said for graduating with a low debt load. That way, even if you don't end up with a high salary, you'll be alright. If T-14 isn't an option, I think BYU makes a lot of sense. And it can make sense even if T-14 is an option, depending on your debt tolerance and family circumstances.

El_Gallo

Bronze

Post by El_Gallo » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:09 pm

yeast master wrote:I don't think things are going great in general, but it could be worse. Most of the people I know of in the top 15% of the class have good things lined up. Not everyone at the top of the class has done well, but part of that is poor job search strategy. You can't really count on OCI, although some big, national firms do come and make offers. And SLC is a small, competitive market, so you can't count on getting a job with a high salary there.

Below the top of the class, there are people who have good things going and there are others who don't have anything. It's pretty much what you would expect from a school of BYU's rank in a down job market.

You're right that priority #1 has to be getting a job. I had that job prospects vs. low tuition dilemma when I was deciding where to go. It wasn't as risky for me to go to a lower-ranked school like BYU because I have good patent law credentials. If I didn't have that (and if I were younger and/or childless), I think the best decision would have been to go T-14.

That said, there is something to be said for graduating with a low debt load. That way, even if you don't end up with a high salary, you'll be alright. If T-14 isn't an option, I think BYU makes a lot of sense. And it can make sense even if T-14 is an option, depending on your debt tolerance and family circumstances.
Thanks YM! This is the sort of information that I have been looking for.

It is coming down to the end of my cycle and it looks like my only two feasible options are going to be BYU and Cornell. I really wish I had cast a broader net. Debating between the cheapest and most expensive schools in the Tier 1 definitely leaves me in a pretty dichotomous situation.

Sorry to derail this thread. Good luck to those still waiting!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CorkBoard

Gold

Post by CorkBoard » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:00 pm

Would those who have already been accepted mind posting their numbers and any $$ they got?

ilovehalusky

New

Post by ilovehalusky » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:19 pm

CorkBoard wrote:Would those who have already been accepted mind posting their numbers and any $$ they got?
3.7/166 3k/yr

snd1988

New

Post by snd1988 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:18 pm

29 people added to the BYU Law Admitted Students group over the weekend bringing the total to 38. So, you can assume that at least 38 students have been admitted with the bulk of the applications having gone through this past week.

asanborn

New

Post by asanborn » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:20 am

snd1988 wrote:29 people added to the BYU Law Admitted Students group over the weekend bringing the total to 38. So, you can assume that at least 38 students have been admitted with the bulk of the applications having gone through this past week.
Here's hoping that they start to send out a lot more decisions really soon because this is the last piece to my law school puzzle.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”