University of Oregon c/o 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
llachans

Silver

University of Oregon c/o 2015

Post by llachans » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:13 pm

Anyone apply yet?

These PS and Essay requirements are deadly.

Campagnolo

Silver

Re: University of Oregon c/o 2015

Post by Campagnolo » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:18 pm

I sent my app 10/20 or thereabouts.

I hear it takes Oregon a long time to start making decisions.

atcushman

Bronze

Post by atcushman » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:52 pm

Whats goin on with the PS and Essay Reqs?

llachans

Silver

Post by llachans » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:38 pm

They give you 3 optional essays and you have to choose one to write on. I was initially confused because my PS perfectly covered the essay option I wanted to do and I didn't want to have to write a completely new PS. But I think I have it all figured out and modified now.

atcushman

Bronze

Post by atcushman » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:07 pm

Ya i had a similar problem with the Sea U app they ask to explain three of your biggest achievments but my PS is built around one of my biggest achievments so it was hard not to be repetative.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

naw

Bronze

Post by naw » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:12 pm

Finished on Nov 6. Pretty sure my 500 word beats the crap out of my general statement. Oregon feels sort of fall-backy, but it might just be last two years of football spite talking.

atcushman

Bronze

Post by atcushman » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:35 pm

I don't think U of O uses a status checker do you guys know? I got an email saying I was complete but nothing about a checker

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:41 pm

atcushman wrote:I don't think U of O uses a status checker do you guys know? I got an email saying I was complete but nothing about a checker
They do not have a checker for some reason

llachans

Silver

!

Post by llachans » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:27 pm

Hm. Anyone have an idea of when the decisions will wave out? Bets on whether it's by e-mail or snail mail?

I'm really anxious about Oregon. Definitely one of my top choices!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

atcushman

Bronze

Post by atcushman » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:27 pm

according to LSN the first acceptance letters were sent in Feb but recieved as late as April even for those who applied early...they seem to be pretty slow, but I am going to hold out hope since they are def one of my top choices

nickjive

Bronze

Post by nickjive » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:18 am

I did my undergrad here, so I can answer any questions you guys might have about the University in general, or Eugene.

llachans

Silver

Post by llachans » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:19 am

nickjive wrote:I did my undergrad here, so I can answer any questions you guys might have about the University in general, or Eugene.
What do people do for fun? (I've heard mixed reviews on Eugene's social life.)
How bad is winter there? (This might seem really general, but I've never been in the PNW during winter.)
Did you enjoy your undergrad at U of O?
If you know, are law students able to buy season football tickets? : )

nickjive

Bronze

Post by nickjive » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:46 am

llachans wrote:
nickjive wrote:I did my undergrad here, so I can answer any questions you guys might have about the University in general, or Eugene.
What do people do for fun? (I've heard mixed reviews on Eugene's social life.)
How bad is winter there? (This might seem really general, but I've never been in the PNW during winter.)
Did you enjoy your undergrad at U of O?
If you know, are law students able to buy season football tickets? : )
1. There are a lot of options, depending on what your interests are. If you're into outdoorsy things, Spencer Butte is a great local hiking area with awesome views; kayaking or river floating (in a tube) is pretty popular when it's warm out; and you have mountains about 2 hours east and the ocean 1.5 hours west. Oregon (and Eugene) are known for their micro breweries, so excellent beer is bountiful. Saturday market downtown is pretty fun--there's a lot of homemade goods and hippies. Portland is only 2 hours north, so a fun and eclectic downtown isn't far away.

2. Winters are very mild with a snow "storm" maybe once a year. You'll get about 3-6", but good god, the state will shut down due to the fact that the State of Oregon owns 1 snow shovel to plow the roads. (They also don't salt the roads). Winter is mostly in the 40's with drizzle.

3. I enjoyed undergrad a lot! I was in the marching band, so I got to travel to away/bowl games and whatnot. Band parties are always the best. :wink:

4. I know this is true for undergrads and grad students (so it must be true for law students), student football tickets are included in the student fee, so tickets are "free." The online ticket system is jacked up, from what I've heard. You used to have to stand in line for about 3 hours every Monday to get tickets, so I guess the new system is better. Like I mentioned, I was in band, so I didn't have to worry about getting tickets.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nickjive

Bronze

Post by nickjive » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:56 am

I forgot to mention the campus area restaurants. 13th street, which is right by the main library (kind of a hike from the LS), has many excellent eateries. Taylor's is by far the best campus bar (others will argue that it's Rennie's, but they're more than wrong). Every Tuesday, Taylor's has 50 cent tacos and $1 well drinks. You can spend $10 and be really full and really inebriated....damn I miss Taco Tuesday.

llachans

Silver

Post by llachans » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:59 am

nickjive wrote: 2. Winters are very mild with a snow "storm" maybe once a year. You'll get about 3-6", but good god, the state will shut down due to the fact that the State of Oregon owns 1 snow shovel to plow the roads. (They also don't salt the roads). Winter is mostly in the 40's with drizzle.
Oh my gosh! That sounds like heaven after the past few Chicago winters!!!
nickjive wrote: student football tickets are included in the student fee, so tickets are "free."
Wow. I went to Iowa as an undergrad and this definitely wasn't the case. Not that I'm deciding law schools based on this, but THAT is very cool : )

THanks for the info!

llachans

Silver

Post by llachans » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:02 pm

nickjive wrote:I forgot to mention the campus area restaurants. 13th street, which is right by the main library (kind of a hike from the LS), has many excellent eateries. Taylor's is by far the best campus bar (others will argue that it's Rennie's, but they're more than wrong). Every Tuesday, Taylor's has 50 cent tacos and $1 well drinks. You can spend $10 and be really full and really inebriated....damn I miss Taco Tuesday.
Also, THIS. haha. Not that I plan on getting drunk every day, but I can be really REALLY cheap.

DCDuck

Bronze

Post by DCDuck » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:08 pm

Oregon 3L here: Taylors is the undergrad campus bar and Rennie's is more the graduate student's bar.

Law students can either try to get a free student ticket each game online (they reserve a number of tickets just for grad students, separate from the undergrad tickets. You can also buy discounted season student tickets before the season starts. They also reserve a number of student tickets to the bowl games. Football is definitely a blast here, and lots of law students go to the games. There are also law school tailgates.

UO generally gets back to you about your applications really late. I don't think they even start reviewing applications until Feb. I was accepted in mid-April (applied in mid-October) with a scholarship. Good luck!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

llachans

Silver

Post by llachans » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:11 pm

DCDuck wrote:Oregon 3L here: Taylors is the undergrad campus bar and Rennie's is more the graduate student's bar.

Law students can either try to get a free student ticket each game online (they reserve a number of tickets just for grad students, separate from the undergrad tickets. You can also buy discounted season student tickets before the season starts. They also reserve a number of student tickets to the bowl games. Football is definitely a blast here, and lots of law students go to the games. There are also law school tailgates.

UO generally gets back to you about your applications really late. I don't think they even start reviewing applications until Feb. I was accepted in mid-April (applied in mid-October) with a scholarship. Good luck!
Thanks for joining the conversation! What were your stats in order to get your scholarship? Also, how are you feeling about job prospects? Do you have anything lined up? What about your fellow students?

DCDuck

Bronze

Post by DCDuck » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:29 pm

I'm the 3L from the thread in "Ask A Law Student" and I answered a lot of employment-related questions in that thread. Most people seem to get offered a small scholarship. They do not offer very many (if any) big scholarships. I think to make up for that, they offer most people a $1500-5000 scholarship with reasonable stips for all 3 years. I considerably above median for LSAT and at median or higher for grade. There are also some small scholarships you can apply to for 2L and 3L.

(edit- something to look forward to: I can't even remember my LSAT score. Once you get in to school, your LSAT doesn't matter at all, ever again.)

llachans

Silver

Post by llachans » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:51 pm

DCDuck wrote:I'm the 3L from the thread in "Ask A Law Student" and I answered a lot of employment-related questions in that thread. Most people seem to get offered a small scholarship. They do not offer very many (if any) big scholarships. I think to make up for that, they offer most people a $1500-5000 scholarship with reasonable stips for all 3 years. I considerably above median for LSAT and at median or higher for grade. There are also some small scholarships you can apply to for 2L and 3L.

(edit- something to look forward to: I can't even remember my LSAT score. Once you get in to school, your LSAT doesn't matter at all, ever again.)
Alright, thanks! I think their tuition is pretty manageable anyways but a few thousand would never be a bad thing : )

horsesrule2006

New

Post by horsesrule2006 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:51 pm

Has anyone heard anything?!?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

skaterboyroland

New

Post by skaterboyroland » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:35 pm

I haven't recieved a single email since I got their complete email, I applied to every school in washington and Oregon and submitted them the day after the October LSAT results, and I haven't gotten any decisions and only two updates.

KibblesnBitts

Bronze

Post by KibblesnBitts » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:39 pm

skaterboyroland wrote:I haven't recieved a single email since I got their complete email, I applied to every school in washington and Oregon and submitted them the day after the October LSAT results, and I haven't gotten any decisions and only two updates.
If you look at last year's topic, Oregon is amazingly behind the curve when it comes to admissions decisions.

But for me, I need to weigh the pros and cons between U Oregon and Lewis and Clark....I've been accepted to the latter, but it's so damn expensive.

llachans

Silver

Post by llachans » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:58 pm

KibblesnBitts wrote:
But for me, I need to weigh the pros and cons between U Oregon and Lewis and Clark....I've been accepted to the latter, but it's so damn expensive.
This will likely be my dilemma as well.

Campagnolo

Silver

Post by Campagnolo » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:37 pm

llachans wrote:
KibblesnBitts wrote:
This will likely be my dilemma as well.
Oregon is cheaper and places better than L+C everywhere in Oregon except for at the 4 or 5 biggest firms (where it still places, but just not as well as L+C).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”