Howard class of 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
irish1485

Re: Howard class of 2015

Postby irish1485 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:41 pm

D.E.N.N.I.S. wrote:
irish1485 wrote:
D.E.N.N.I.S. wrote:Just received my acceptance packet with a scholarship offer in excess of $20,000. While I am grateful, the school requires that I remain in the top 15% to retain the full award, and the top 25% to keep half, which I find doable, but perhaps too ambitious. Are other offers similar?

Yes the requirements where about the same last year and it sounds like they haven't changed. These requirements are pretty ridiculous to be honest

I agree, and in consideration, the real value of the scholarship may be reasonably limited to the initial award amount itself. That said, if I uphold my end of the bargain and finish in the top 15%, is the scholarship renewed for the next year only? Or is 3L year included as well?

I'm not sure but I would guess it would only be renewed for the next year only. No other school that I've been accepted at has scholarship requirements near this harsh. I will talk to someone to see if there's any way these requirements can be lowered because this is making me seriously rethink Howard. The top 15% of the class is 24 out of 161 students

cylon_clone

Postby cylon_clone » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:53 pm

According to my letter and a check of the Howard website, merit scholarships are renewable for 2L and 3L if the conditions are met. I would assume the stipulations are the same as previous years - even though Howard doesn't seem to publicly mention it.

The tuitions at other schools I've been accepted to are about $20K/yr more. But if the scholarships are guaranteed for all 3 yrs with no stips..IMO it's a better/less stressful deal.

D.E.N.N.I.S.

Postby D.E.N.N.I.S. » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:01 pm

irish1485 wrote:
D.E.N.N.I.S. wrote:
irish1485 wrote:
D.E.N.N.I.S. wrote:Just received my acceptance packet with a scholarship offer in excess of $20,000. While I am grateful, the school requires that I remain in the top 15% to retain the full award, and the top 25% to keep half, which I find doable, but perhaps too ambitious. Are other offers similar?

Yes the requirements where about the same last year and it sounds like they haven't changed. These requirements are pretty ridiculous to be honest

I agree, and in consideration, the real value of the scholarship may be reasonably limited to the initial award amount itself. That said, if I uphold my end of the bargain and finish in the top 15%, is the scholarship renewed for the next year only? Or is 3L year included as well?

I'm not sure but I would guess it would only be renewed for the next year only. No other school that I've been accepted at has scholarship requirements near this harsh. I will talk to someone to see if there's any way these requirements can be lowered because this is making me seriously rethink Howard. The top 15% of the class is 24 out of 161 students

I am also reconsidering Howard. If I understand correctly, 2L and 3L years are unranked. I assume then that 1L is all that matters, but I am unsure. Howard is still ny top choice, but seems risky. Although, law school is a risk in itself, but that's a-whole-nother topic.

D.E.N.N.I.S.

Postby D.E.N.N.I.S. » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:11 pm

cylon_clone wrote:According to my letter and a check of the Howard website, merit scholarships are renewable for 2L and 3L if the conditions are met. I would assume the stipulations are the same as previous years - even though Howard doesn't seem to publicly mention it.

The tuitions at other schools I've been accepted to are about $20K/yr more. But if the scholarships are guaranteed for all 3 yrs with no stips..IMO it's a better/less stressful deal.

Yes, as others have suggested, Howard can be vague. The stipulations will definitely elicit stress, but it may be worth it; probably not for most. COL will most likely be my deciding factor.

JaLeCa

Postby JaLeCa » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:13 pm

2LT_CPG wrote:
JaLeCa wrote:
2LT_CPG wrote:I've read on this forum that Howard is great in terms of employment for AAs who get in the top third of their class because firms use its OCI as a place to get AA associates. I think that's awesome. What's Howard like for non-URMs?

We have plenty here, and they all seem to be doing about the same. Howard is more about legacy, and you won't be disadvantaged because of color.

I didn't mean specifically for getting in, I know what that takes. I was asking more about employment. In a few places on TLS when discussing DC schools, people seem to think (perhaps rightly) that Howard's OCI is fantastic and on par with higher ranked schools because great employers go after Howard students to get URM hires.

So I guess my question is how do non-URM students fare with employment?

I know what you meant. Employers still recruit non-URM from Howard.

irish1485

Postby irish1485 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:18 pm

Hey JaLeCa any suggestions on some good apartments to look at?

JaLeCa

Postby JaLeCa » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:43 pm

irish1485 wrote:Hey JaLeCa any suggestions on some good apartments to look at?

Depends...exactly how close are you trying to live to campus? Most people who don't stay in D.C. live in Silver Spring because to stay near the school is very pricey...

Apartments near the school: Archstone Connecticut, Archstone Van Ness, Daro Realty apartments (Just to get an idea of the range). If you are considering staying in Silver Spring or a surrounding city- there are a ton of options.

irish1485

Postby irish1485 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:53 pm

JaLeCa wrote:

Depends...exactly how close are you trying to live to campus? Most people who don't stay in D.C. live in Silver Spring because to stay near the school is very pricey...

Apartments near the school: Archstone Connecticut, Archstone Van Ness, Daro Realty apartments (Just to get an idea of the range). If you are considering staying in Silver Spring or a surrounding city- there are a ton of options.

Yea I'm not trying to stay too close if its extremely expensive.. I'm just trying to find places to look at when I visit that are reasonable ($700-$900/month). Am I going to find anything in this range in Silver Springs or any surrounding city?

JaLeCa

Postby JaLeCa » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:00 am

irish1485 wrote:
JaLeCa wrote:

Yea I'm not trying to stay too close if its extremely expensive.. I'm just trying to find places to look at when I visit that are reasonable ($700-$900/month). Am I going to find anything in this range in Silver Springs or any surrounding city?

If you plan on having a roommate, you can stay within that range. If not, be prepared to spend at least 1000 for a studio. You can get within that range, but you will probably live in an extremely bad neighborhood that is not easily accessible.

irish1485

Postby irish1485 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:16 am

JaLeCa wrote:
irish1485 wrote:
JaLeCa wrote:

If you plan on having a roommate, you can stay within that range. If not, be prepared to spend at least 1000 for a studio. You can get within that range, but you will probably live in an extremely bad neighborhood that is not easily accessible.

Ok thats good to know. Thanks!

mcdeeremitch

Postby mcdeeremitch » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:22 pm

Its been a while since there has been any decisions it looks like

pcvpy

Postby pcvpy » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:50 pm

Is anyone in the thread set on Howard yet? It was my first choice; received a positive decision on 1/26.

See you there?

D.E.N.N.I.S.

Postby D.E.N.N.I.S. » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:29 pm

Howard is my top choice too.

pcvpy

Postby pcvpy » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:04 pm

D.E.N.N.I.S. wrote:Howard is my top choice too.

Have you decided on Howard, for sure? I saw that COL was going to be a deciding factor and DC is high. Looking back on years passed, I'm surprised there's not more traffic on this thread. I guess it's still early.

mcdeeremitch

Postby mcdeeremitch » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:50 pm

Im coming up on being complete for a month...how long did it take you guys to get a decision after going complete?

sdphill

Postby sdphill » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:32 pm

mcdeeremitch wrote:Im coming up on being complete for a month...how long did it take you guys to get a decision after going complete?

Went complete on 01/06/12
Accepted on 01/26/12

mcdeeremitch

Postby mcdeeremitch » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:36 pm

sdphill wrote:
mcdeeremitch wrote:Im coming up on being complete for a month...how long did it take you guys to get a decision after going complete?

Accepted on 01/26/12

Thanks for the reply...I went complete on 1/19..so hopefully just a little longer

sdphill

Postby sdphill » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:10 pm

mcdeeremitch wrote:
sdphill wrote:

Accepted on 01/26/12

Thanks for the reply...I went complete on 1/19..so hopefully just a little longer

I think that they release in batches.

pcvpy

Postby pcvpy » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:17 pm

sdphill wrote:
mcdeeremitch wrote:
sdphill wrote:

Accepted on 01/26/12

I think that they release in batches.

Judging by LSN and posts on this thread (and previous years) it definitely appears so.

mcdeeremitch

Postby mcdeeremitch » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:21 pm

Well hopefully I will be in the next batch and hopefully that next batch is SOON

D.E.N.N.I.S.

Postby D.E.N.N.I.S. » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:15 pm

pcvpy wrote:

Have you decided on Howard, for sure? I saw that COL was going to be a deciding factor and DC is high. Looking back on years passed, I'm surprised there's not more traffic on this thread. I guess it's still early.

If I had to put a number on it, I'd say I'm 85% set on HUSL. Im still waiting on a decision from another school. COL is high D.C., but I'm very lucky to have family to stay with in the metro area. Are you definitely going to Howard? If so why?...if you don't mind be asking.

pcvpy

Postby pcvpy » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:38 pm

D.E.N.N.I.S. wrote:
pcvpy wrote:

If I had to put a number on it, I'd say I'm 85% set on HUSL. Im still waiting on a decision from another school. COL is high D.C., but I'm very lucky to have family to stay with in the metro area. Are you definitely going to Howard? If so why?...if you don't mind be asking.

I am definitely going to Howard. I don't mind you asking. The school's history, the history makers it has produced and it's focus on graduating students to be 'social engineers' were what first attracted me to HUSL. Having received all previous formal education in historically white institutions, I believe it is hard to quantify the benefit I will receive from enrolling in an HBCU, but I am confident it will be a benefit to me. I love DC, so Howard's location is a plus. Howard's smaller enrolling class size and campus will hopefully provide me more opportunities to connect with people on a more personal level. I also believe I will bring a unique perspective to HUSL and will benefit greatly from the diverse perspectives of those around me in a way that may not be as easily replicated on other campuses.

I say all that as a generally pragmatic person. I don't feel I'm being overly optimistic or falsely inflating my expectations.

How about you, why is Howard your first choice?

irish1485

Postby irish1485 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:25 pm

Has anyone received ANY type of information about the Open house they were suppose to have on March 9 since they sent the email a couple weeks ago?

alwayslovely

Postby alwayslovely » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:50 pm

irish1485 wrote:Has anyone received ANY type of information about the Open house they were suppose to have on March 9 since they sent the email a couple weeks ago?

Nope **Sigh**

sdphill

Postby sdphill » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:51 pm

irish1485 wrote:Has anyone received ANY type of information about the Open house they were suppose to have on March 9 since they sent the email a couple weeks ago?

Not me

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”