Howard class of 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
flashforward2
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:10 pm

Re: Howard class of 2015

Postby flashforward2 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:05 pm

I went complete on 1/12 as well.


gthopeful wrote:
alwayslovely wrote:
flashforward2 wrote:I'm in at Howard as of today! I'm waiting on other schools as well. :D



I'm in too! Thanks for the heads up!! :)


congrats...when did you both go complete?

gthopeful
Posts: 116
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:35 pm

Re: Howard class of 2015

Postby gthopeful » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:06 pm

flashforward2 wrote:I went complete on 1/12 as well.


gthopeful wrote:
alwayslovely wrote:
flashforward2 wrote:I'm in at Howard as of today! I'm waiting on other schools as well. :D



I'm in too! Thanks for the heads up!! :)


congrats...when did you both go complete?


Ok thanks for the reply...i was hoping that I would get a decision today...but I guess two decisions in one is asking a little to much...hoping for tomorrow though

flashforward2
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:10 pm

Re: Howard class of 2015

Postby flashforward2 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:07 pm

I went complete on 1/12/12 as well. I was notified via status checker before noon and a follow up email with $$ details at 4pm.

User avatar
irish1485
Posts: 136
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:25 pm

Re: Howard class of 2015

Postby irish1485 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:12 pm

I received a call from Ms Ridley earlier this week, she said that they are working on having an ASW sometime in March...

zdw3
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:55 am

Re: Howard class of 2015

Postby zdw3 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:20 pm

anjmissy wrote:Accepted today via email, I know its a great school but I will be withdrawing, committing to W&L.

If you would please check your messages. Congratulations!

User avatar
JaLeCa
Posts: 301
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: Howard class of 2015

Postby JaLeCa » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:07 am

*Giggling* Howard 1L here. Godspeed.

User avatar
irish1485
Posts: 136
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:25 pm

Re: Howard class of 2015

Postby irish1485 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:45 am

JaLeCa wrote:*Giggling* Howard 1L here. Godspeed.


Hey, Do you mind sharing some of you thoughts about the school. How are you liking it so far?

User avatar
JaLeCa
Posts: 301
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: Howard class of 2015

Postby JaLeCa » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:14 pm

irish1485 wrote:
JaLeCa wrote:*Giggling* Howard 1L here. Godspeed.


Hey, Do you mind sharing some of you thoughts about the school. How are you liking it so far?


I love the school. It is small, and there is great sense of community. The network ties are very strong, and that's something Howard prides itself on. We have crazy OCIs as well. However, the administration will drive you nuts. It was a rough summer before school even started, and this will be a periodic problem. Overall, worth it.

mcdeeremitch
Posts: 317
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:16 pm

Re: Howard class of 2015

Postby mcdeeremitch » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:29 pm

Any other acceptances lately?

flashforward2
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:10 pm

Re: Howard class of 2015

Postby flashforward2 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:26 pm

I've heard that Howard does not treat its students like adults--any truth to that? Also, do you have to live on campus as a 1L? Any other randm quirks?

JaLeCa wrote:
irish1485 wrote:
JaLeCa wrote:*Giggling* Howard 1L here. Godspeed.


Hey, Do you mind sharing some of you thoughts about the school. How are you liking it so far?


I love the school. It is small, and there is great sense of community. The network ties are very strong, and that's something Howard prides itself on. We have crazy OCIs as well. However, the administration will drive you nuts. It was a rough summer before school even started, and this will be a periodic problem. Overall, worth it.

User avatar
JaLeCa
Posts: 301
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: Howard class of 2015

Postby JaLeCa » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:38 pm

flashforward2 wrote:I've heard that Howard does not treat its students like adults--any truth to that? Also, do you have to live on campus as a 1L? Any other randm quirks?



It depends on what you mean by "adults". The school is not going to hold your hand through everything, but they will not let you drown in the sea of confusion that is law school either.

As far as living on campus- absofuckinlutely not. Getting housing secured from out-of-state is a nightmare. Everyone in the school has an apartment or found a roomie that they had to get into before orientation started. There is no housing available for the law students...unless you REALLY are into overpaying to live on campus amongst the undergrads in the hood- have a blast.

We have a ton of mandatory trainings and sessions, but I'm sure that's standard of any law school.

User avatar
irish1485
Posts: 136
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:25 pm

Re: Howard class of 2015

Postby irish1485 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:01 pm

JaLeCa wrote:
irish1485 wrote:
JaLeCa wrote:*Giggling* Howard 1L here. Godspeed.


Hey, Do you mind sharing some of you thoughts about the school. How are you liking it so far?


I love the school. It is small, and there is great sense of community. The network ties are very strong, and that's something Howard prides itself on. We have crazy OCIs as well. However, the administration will drive you nuts. It was a rough summer before school even started, and this will be a periodic problem. Overall, worth it.


Hey I also had another question,


What are the job prospects looking like? Do most 1ls seem like they have jobs lined up for this summer? Do you sense that firms only recruit up to a certain point deep into the class? If so what's the cuttoff? Thanks

User avatar
JaLeCa
Posts: 301
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: Howard class of 2015

Postby JaLeCa » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:08 pm

irish1485 wrote:
Hey I also had another question,


What are the job prospects looking like? Do most 1ls seem like they have jobs lined up for this summer? Do you sense that firms only recruit up to a certain point deep into the class? If so what's the cuttoff? Thanks


Honestly, I know a couple of 1Ls with offers already, but it is kind of too early to tell because the bulk of OCIs are just coming up. Firms definitely aim for the top of the class...not entirely sure of the cutoff. The school's curve is 82-84...so you probably have to be well above that to be considered. I've had firms respond to me that I have not found through Career services.

User avatar
alwayslovely
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:59 am

Re: Howard class of 2015

Postby alwayslovely » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:29 am

JaLeCa wrote:
irish1485 wrote:
Hey I also had another question,


What are the job prospects looking like? Do most 1ls seem like they have jobs lined up for this summer? Do you sense that firms only recruit up to a certain point deep into the class? If so what's the cuttoff? Thanks


Honestly, I know a couple of 1Ls with offers already, but it is kind of too early to tell because the bulk of OCIs are just coming up. Firms definitely aim for the top of the class...not entirely sure of the cutoff. The school's curve is 82-84...so you probably have to be well above that to be considered. I've had firms respond to me that I have not found through Career services.


Does Howard negotiate scholarships at all or is it pretty much set in stone?

User avatar
JaLeCa
Posts: 301
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: Howard class of 2015

Postby JaLeCa » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:18 pm

alwayslovely wrote:
Does Howard negotiate scholarships at all or is it pretty much set in stone?


Almost certain what you see is what you get. It won't hurt you to try- but Howard rarely budges on anything.

User avatar
2LT_CPG
Posts: 272
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:26 pm

Re: Howard class of 2015

Postby 2LT_CPG » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:33 pm

I've read on this forum that Howard is great in terms of employment for AAs who get in the top third of their class because firms use its OCI as a place to get AA associates. I think that's awesome. What's Howard like for non-URMs?

mcdeeremitch
Posts: 317
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:16 pm

Re: Howard class of 2015

Postby mcdeeremitch » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:10 pm

Just got another email from Howard...yet I really just want my decision!!

User avatar
JaLeCa
Posts: 301
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: Howard class of 2015

Postby JaLeCa » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:45 pm

2LT_CPG wrote:I've read on this forum that Howard is great in terms of employment for AAs who get in the top third of their class because firms use its OCI as a place to get AA associates. I think that's awesome. What's Howard like for non-URMs?


We have plenty here, and they all seem to be doing about the same. Howard is more about legacy, and you won't be disadvantaged because of color.

User avatar
irish1485
Posts: 136
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:25 pm

Re: Howard class of 2015

Postby irish1485 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:36 pm

Did anyone else just get the email for the open house on March 9?

User avatar
cylon_clone
Posts: 187
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:21 pm

Re: Howard class of 2015

Postby cylon_clone » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:43 pm

irish1485 wrote:Did anyone else just get the email for the open house on March 9?


Yes. Yet another vague correspondence from Howard. An overview of what they're offering there would have been nice instead of just a "save the date."

Also received my official admissions packet in snail mail today. They included my scholarship offer, but conveniently did not include the harsh stipulations for keeping it for all 3 years...

User avatar
2LT_CPG
Posts: 272
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:26 pm

Re: Howard class of 2015

Postby 2LT_CPG » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:47 pm

JaLeCa wrote:
2LT_CPG wrote:I've read on this forum that Howard is great in terms of employment for AAs who get in the top third of their class because firms use its OCI as a place to get AA associates. I think that's awesome. What's Howard like for non-URMs?


We have plenty here, and they all seem to be doing about the same. Howard is more about legacy, and you won't be disadvantaged because of color.

I didn't mean specifically for getting in, I know what that takes. I was asking more about employment. In a few places on TLS when discussing DC schools, people seem to think (perhaps rightly) that Howard's OCI is fantastic and on par with higher ranked schools because great employers go after Howard students to get URM hires.

So I guess my question is how do non-URM students fare with employment?

User avatar
irish1485
Posts: 136
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:25 pm

Re: Howard class of 2015

Postby irish1485 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:52 pm

cylon_clone wrote:
irish1485 wrote:Did anyone else just get the email for the open house on March 9?


Yes. Yet another vague correspondence from Howard. An overview of what they're offering there would have been nice instead of just a "save the date."

Also received my official admissions packet in snail mail today. They included my scholarship offer, but conveniently did not include the harsh stipulations for keeping it for all 3 years...


Haha you know what, I was thinking the EXACT same thing. After looking at it I was like so....

At least they did say more information will come. I'm also interested to hear if the scholarships will have the same requirements as last year. I think I will go just to have the change to talk with people in person and see what the school really is about.

D.E.N.N.I.S.
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:54 am

Re: Howard class of 2015

Postby D.E.N.N.I.S. » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:02 pm

Just received my acceptance packet with a scholarship offer in excess of $20,000. While I am grateful, the school requires that I remain in the top 15% to retain the full award, and the top 25% to keep half, which I find doable, but perhaps too ambitious. Are other offers similar?

User avatar
irish1485
Posts: 136
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:25 pm

Re: Howard class of 2015

Postby irish1485 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:04 pm

D.E.N.N.I.S. wrote:Just received my acceptance packet with a scholarship offer in excess of $20,000. While I am grateful, the school requires that I remain in the top 15% to retain the full award, and the top 25% to keep half, which I find doable, but perhaps too ambitious. Are other offers similar?


Yes the requirements where about the same last year and it sounds like they haven't changed. These requirements are pretty ridiculous to be honest

D.E.N.N.I.S.
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:54 am

Re: Howard class of 2015

Postby D.E.N.N.I.S. » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:22 pm

irish1485 wrote:
D.E.N.N.I.S. wrote:Just received my acceptance packet with a scholarship offer in excess of $20,000. While I am grateful, the school requires that I remain in the top 15% to retain the full award, and the top 25% to keep half, which I find doable, but perhaps too ambitious. Are other offers similar?


Yes the requirements where about the same last year and it sounds like they haven't changed. These requirements are pretty ridiculous to be honest


I agree, and in consideration, the real value of the scholarship may be reasonably limited to the initial award amount itself. That said, if I uphold my end of the bargain and finish in the top 15%, is the scholarship renewed for the next year only? Or is 3L year included as well?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: applicationquestions, ellielaw, Exabot [Bot] and 5 guests