Howard class of 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JaLeCa

Re: Howard class of 2015

Postby JaLeCa » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:56 pm

Oh and P.S.,

DO NOT hold your breath on a scholly negotiation, or a second Open House....if you can't make it, maybe you can still ask for a tour.

mcdeeremitch

Postby mcdeeremitch » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:52 pm

So I'm going through Howard's website looking at financial aid forms in case I enroll...and I see financial aid form that has to be turned in by March 15...yet it is for 2011-2012...does anybody know if there is a current form...and if we even have to fill it out if we haven't committed yet?

anjmissy

Postby anjmissy » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:43 pm

Howard is definitely yield protecting..even though i was accepted i have friends who have gotten into top 30s and top 20s and have been waitlisted at Howard..

irish1485

Postby irish1485 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:04 pm

anjmissy wrote:Howard is definitely yield protecting..even though i was accepted i have friends who have gotten into top 30s and top 20s and have been waitlisted at Howard..

Yea I also have a friend who is WELL above both medians and was just waitlisted, we submitted our apps around the same time

mcdeeremitch

Postby mcdeeremitch » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:07 pm

irish1485 wrote:
anjmissy wrote:Howard is definitely yield protecting..even though i was accepted i have friends who have gotten into top 30s and top 20s and have been waitlisted at Howard..

Yea I also have a friend who is WELL above both medians and was just waitlisted, we submitted our apps around the same time

Interesting I didn't think Howard was in the yield protect business

anjmissy

Postby anjmissy » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:03 pm

mcdeeremitch wrote:
irish1485 wrote:

Interesting I didn't think Howard was in the yield protect business

i think every school, with the exception of for profit schools, yield protects.

mcdeeremitch

Postby mcdeeremitch » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:12 pm

Its a miracle...I finally got a response from somebody...I was starting to think Howard's admission committee took like a four month vacation or something lol

pcvpy

Postby pcvpy » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:43 pm

mcdeeremitch wrote:Its a miracle...I finally got a response from somebody...I was starting to think Howard's admission committee took like a four month vacation or something lol

Care to share the response?

mcdeeremitch

Postby mcdeeremitch » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:45 pm

pcvpy wrote:
mcdeeremitch wrote:Its a miracle...I finally got a response from somebody...I was starting to think Howard's admission committee took like a four month vacation or something lol

Care to share the response?

I got an email saying that my letter was forwarded to the admissions committee and that due to the timing in the admissions cycle it might take a while to get answer but they will let me know one way or the other.....not quite the response I was hoping for but I guess I will take it for now

pcvpy

Postby pcvpy » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:52 pm

I got an email saying that my letter was forwarded to the admissions committee and that due to the timing in the admissions cycle it might take a while to get answer but they will let me know one way or the other.....not quite the response I was hoping for but I guess I will take it for now[/quote]
Well, good luck. I guess that's better than a flat out, 'no.'

mcdeeremitch

Postby mcdeeremitch » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:53 pm

pcvpy wrote:I got an email saying that my letter was forwarded to the admissions committee and that due to the timing in the admissions cycle it might take a while to get answer but they will let me know one way or the other.....not quite the response I was hoping for but I guess I will take it for now

Well, good luck. I guess that's better than a flat out, 'no.'[/quote]

Thanks....Ill see what happens

Mandi

Postby Mandi » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:55 pm

I applied to Howard on Jan 25th and still have had no communication from them at all. My application status online is still showing application received. I am wondering if anyone else is showing as under review??? How long does it take for them to respond?

alwayslovely

Postby alwayslovely » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:32 am

Mandi wrote:I applied to Howard on Jan 25th and still have had no communication from them at all. My application status online is still showing application received. I am wondering if anyone else is showing as under review??? How long does it take for them to respond?

I would check on this by calling admissions. I applied early January and was notified pretty quickly that I was missing the verification form. When I faxed the form, I went complete the same day. I was actually surprised by how prompt they were.

Mandi

Postby Mandi » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:45 am

alwayslovely wrote:
Mandi wrote:I applied to Howard on Jan 25th and still have had no communication from them at all. My application status online is still showing application received. I am wondering if anyone else is showing as under review??? How long does it take for them to respond?

I would check on this by calling admissions. I applied early January and was notified pretty quickly that I was missing the verification form. When I faxed the form, I went complete the same day. I was actually surprised by how prompt they were.

I did speak to them after I sent my verification form in and made sure they did receive it. I am showing application complete since 1/25. I still have heard nothing. I have heard back from most of the other schools I applied to so I am not sure why they are taking so long. I am above their medians so I was pretty sure I would get in no problem but it is starting to look like that might not be the case.

alwayslovely

Postby alwayslovely » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:59 am

Mandi wrote: I did speak to them after I sent my verification form in and made sure they did receive it. I am showing application complete since 1/25. I still have heard nothing. I have heard back from most of the other schools I applied to so I am not sure why they are taking so long. I am above their medians so I was pretty sure I would get in no problem but it is starting to look like that might not be the case.

I think they are yield protecting now. So if you're way above both medians... they might be trying to decide if you will likely attend. Did you write a why Howard?

Mandi

Postby Mandi » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:08 pm

alwayslovely wrote:
Mandi wrote: I did speak to them after I sent my verification form in and made sure they did receive it. I am showing application complete since 1/25. I still have heard nothing. I have heard back from most of the other schools I applied to so I am not sure why they are taking so long. I am above their medians so I was pretty sure I would get in no problem but it is starting to look like that might not be the case.

I think they are yield protecting now. So if you're way above both medians... they might be trying to decide if you will likely attend. Did you write a why Howard?

No I didn't write a why Howard. I really don't care if I get accpeted there so I didn't spend a whole lot of time on that application. If I get accepted I will probably withdraw. The bar passage rate at Howard is really bad compared to other schools and that scares me. They are way under the state medians. Plus most of their recruiting is for firms in New York and California. I want to work in DC so I am not sure it is the right school for me.

flashforward2

Postby flashforward2 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:02 pm

Is anyone attending Howard's Open House tomorrow? What should we expect?

cylon_clone

Postby cylon_clone » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:44 pm

Plan on withdrawing tomorrow.

Howard would have been my cheapest option, but if I do ultimately decide to go to school in DC, it will be at Georgetown.

Good luck everybody. Maybe I'll see some of you around the city.

flashforward2

Postby flashforward2 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:39 am

Are there any current students that can discuss the exam policy. Are outlines allowed? I see that there is a computer policy--so computers are allowed. Are there any take home exams or paper options?

irish1485

Postby irish1485 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:53 am

flashforward2 wrote:Is anyone attending Howard's Open House tomorrow? What should we expect?

Yea I'll be there tomorrow.. Don't really know what to expect there was a schedule in the email but they really haven't contacted me since I reserved.

mcdeeremitch

Postby mcdeeremitch » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:02 pm

Did anyone that went today learn anything new or interesting?

jecthoma

Postby jecthoma » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:19 pm

I went complete on 1/25 and under review since 1/31. I haven't heard a peep. Hopefully no word is a good sign. Maybe they got a big application pool and that's why it's taking so long. either way -- stay optimistic.

pmh1989

Postby pmh1989 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:52 pm

mcdeeremitch wrote:Did anyone that went today learn anything new or interesting?

As a whole, the open house was informative and interesting. In regards to financial aid, we should be receiving our Bison Web logins (Admitted Students) within the next two weeks and that will have a report on our aid thus far, from what I understand. Otherwise, there was a mock class, campus tour, Q&A section, mock class and a moot court presentation. I was very impressed by the school and it confirmed that Howard is the right place for me.

mcdeeremitch

Postby mcdeeremitch » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:34 pm

pmh1989 wrote:
mcdeeremitch wrote:Did anyone that went today learn anything new or interesting?

As a whole, the open house was informative and interesting. In regards to financial aid, we should be receiving our Bison Web logins (Admitted Students) within the next two weeks and that will have a report on our aid thus far, from what I understand. Otherwise, there was a mock class, campus tour, Q&A section, mock class and a moot court presentation. I was very impressed by the school and it confirmed that Howard is the right place for me.

Thanks for this information...it is very positive to know you had a good experience as I am leaning towards Howard pending the outcome of the rest of my cycle...but I am a little hesitant of Howard for certain reasons...if there is any more information you have please share

did they say anything about any particular forms we need to fill out for financial aid besides FAFSA for right now...and on that note does anyone know if Howard is generous with need aid?

pmh1989

Postby pmh1989 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:08 pm

Sending my deposit and enrollment fee tomorrow!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”