Howard class of 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
irish1485

Bronze

Re: Howard class of 2015

Post by irish1485 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:54 pm

That sucks i was really looking forward to going hopefully we'll get something this week so I'll be able to get off work.

jaded4life

New

Post by jaded4life » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:06 pm

In!!!!!! via status checker :D

mcdeeremitch

Bronze

Post by mcdeeremitch » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:13 pm

In!!! Via status checker as well

pcvpy

New

Post by pcvpy » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:01 pm

mcdeeremitch wrote:In!!! Via status checker as well
jaded4life wrote:In!!!!!! via status checker :D
Congrats to you both! First choice...? Done deal?

mcdeeremitch

Bronze

Post by mcdeeremitch » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:30 pm

pcvpy wrote:
Not quite First choice...but definately high on the list and a definate possiblility...I applied late so I still have about 8 schools in play but Howard has impressed me quite a bit

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mcdeeremitch

Bronze

Post by mcdeeremitch » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:46 pm

Also..if anyone hears anything on the open house in March please let me know because I definately want to go visit Howard

jaded4life

New

Post by jaded4life » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:29 pm

mcdeeremitch wrote:
pcvpy wrote:
Not quite First choice...but definately high on the list and a definate possiblility...I applied late so I still have about 8 schools in play but Howard has impressed me quite a bit
Not quite first choice for me either but its a on my list of schools I am considering... its a good school with a great reputation so Howard is high on my list but I am waiting on a couple more schools before I make a final decision though

pmh1989

New

Post by pmh1989 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:47 pm

In via status checker followed by an email with merit based scholarship info and deadline info

mcdeeremitch

Bronze

Post by mcdeeremitch » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:49 pm

pmh1989 wrote:In via status checker followed by an email with merit based scholarship info and deadline info
Congrats!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pcvpy

New

Post by pcvpy » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:57 pm

mcdeeremitch wrote:
pmh1989 wrote:In via status checker followed by an email with merit based scholarship info and deadline info
Congrats!!
+1

parebare23

Bronze

Post by parebare23 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:02 am

INNNNN! Congrats to all other admits!

pcvpy

New

Post by pcvpy » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:06 am

parebare23 wrote:INNNNN! Congrats to all other admits!
Way to go, congrats!

pmh1989

New

Post by pmh1989 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:53 pm

Is anyone going to Howard for sure?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

pcvpy

New

Post by pcvpy » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:12 pm

pmh1989 wrote:Is anyone going to Howard for sure?
I am.

D.E.N.N.I.S.

New

Post by D.E.N.N.I.S. » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:35 pm

pcvpy wrote:
D.E.N.N.I.S. wrote:
pcvpy wrote:
D.E.N.N.I.S. wrote:Howard is my top choice too.
Have you decided on Howard, for sure? I saw that COL was going to be a deciding factor and DC is high. Looking back on years passed, I'm surprised there's not more traffic on this thread. I guess it's still early.
If I had to put a number on it, I'd say I'm 85% set on HUSL. Im still waiting on a decision from another school. COL is high D.C., but I'm very lucky to have family to stay with in the metro area. Are you definitely going to Howard? If so why?...if you don't mind be asking.
I am definitely going to Howard. I don't mind you asking. The school's history, the history makers it has produced and it's focus on graduating students to be 'social engineers' were what first attracted me to HUSL. Having received all previous formal education in historically white institutions, I believe it is hard to quantify the benefit I will receive from enrolling in an HBCU, but I am confident it will be a benefit to me. I love DC, so Howard's location is a plus. Howard's smaller enrolling class size and campus will hopefully provide me more opportunities to connect with people on a more personal level. I also believe I will bring a unique perspective to HUSL and will benefit greatly from the diverse perspectives of those around me in a way that may not be as easily replicated on other campuses.

I say all that as a generally pragmatic person. I don't feel I'm being overly optimistic or falsely inflating my expectations.

How about you, why is Howard your first choice?
The historical significance is hard to ignore for me as well. Howard would also be the least expensive option. Barring any setbacks, we will probably be classmates in the fall.

mcdeeremitch

Bronze

Post by mcdeeremitch » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:22 pm

Wish me luck I'm going to send a negotiation email and try to get my scholarship upped some...hopefully my w&l scholly will give me some leverage...if I can get some more money Howard probably becomes a MUCH EASIER decision for me

pcvpy

New

Post by pcvpy » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:36 pm

mcdeeremitch wrote:Wish me luck I'm going to send a negotiation email and try to get my scholarship upped some...hopefully my w&l scholly will give me some leverage...if I can get some more money Howard probably becomes a MUCH EASIER decision for me
Good luck. The worst they can do is say 'no,' right?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mcdeeremitch

Bronze

Post by mcdeeremitch » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:48 pm

pcvpy wrote:
mcdeeremitch wrote:Wish me luck I'm going to send a negotiation email and try to get my scholarship upped some...hopefully my w&l scholly will give me some leverage...if I can get some more money Howard probably becomes a MUCH EASIER decision for me
Good luck. The worst they can do is say 'no,' right?
Exactly...I hope they say yes though

user08132021

Bronze

Post by user08132021 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:06 am

I don't know if they sent you guys any info, but as far as I know the accepted students orientation is March 9th.

mcdeeremitch

Bronze

Post by mcdeeremitch » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:44 am

JaLeCa wrote:I don't know if they sent you guys any info, but as far as I know the accepted students orientation is March 9th.
I spoke to admissions this morning and they said it is definitely march 9, and we should be getting an invitation that explana it in detail soon

pcvpy

New

Post by pcvpy » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:15 pm

mcdeeremitch wrote:
JaLeCa wrote:I don't know if they sent you guys any info, but as far as I know the accepted students orientation is March 9th.
I spoke to admissions this morning and they said it is definitely march 9, and we should be getting an invitation that explana it in detail soon
I sent an email expressing my interest in attending, but won't be in the country. Someone from admissions got back to me today saying they would let me know when anything is available online. Is anyone definitely going? Mind filling those of us that can't make it in afterwards?

Thanks

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

parebare23

Bronze

Post by parebare23 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:32 pm

Don't mean to sound super naive... but can someone on this board speak to the pros/cons, etc of attending Howard? I've been accepted and realize that it is a great program - however I'm interested in how it compares to other schools, especially in regard to job opportunities afterwards. I am also coming from a background of having attended PWI so an HBCU in itself would be a different experience that I'd also like to hear about. Anyone want to touch on this?

irish1485

Bronze

Post by irish1485 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:34 pm

parebare23 wrote:Don't mean to sound super naive... but can someone on this board speak to the pros/cons, etc of attending Howard? I've been accepted and realize that it is a great program - however I'm interested in how it compares to other schools, especially in regard to job opportunities afterwards. I am also coming from a background of having attended PWI so an HBCU in itself would be a different experience that I'd also like to hear about. Anyone want to touch on this?
+1

I'd also like to hear some views on this also

mcdeeremitch

Bronze

Post by mcdeeremitch » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:54 pm

irish1485 wrote:
parebare23 wrote:Don't mean to sound super naive... but can someone on this board speak to the pros/cons, etc of attending Howard? I've been accepted and realize that it is a great program - however I'm interested in how it compares to other schools, especially in regard to job opportunities afterwards. I am also coming from a background of having attended PWI so an HBCU in itself would be a different experience that I'd also like to hear about. Anyone want to touch on this?
+1
This is just my opinion so take it for what its worth, but I have done some research on this forum and online and it seems to be that even though Howard has a very low ranking they enjoy VERY good job prosepcts because they are seen as the premier HBCU. So firms come to Howard to recruit because they know they are getting minority candidates right off the bat. It has been said that more firms actually come to Howard than some of the T-14 for OCI, including Wachtell Lipton and alike. So you have the TOP firms coming to OCI which is huge. Now there is a debate as to what percentage of the class at Howard you have to to get an offer and it has been siad that firms will not go as deep in the pool at Howard as thy do at ohter T-14s and some in between till you get to T-30. So that beign said Ive read you have to be anywhere form top 15% to top 33%. [Im going to split into two posts becasue it is getting long]

mcdeeremitch

Bronze

Post by mcdeeremitch » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:00 pm

irish1485 wrote:
+1

Howard was also ranked by I think the National law journal(or one of those I cant remember which at the moment) as the 2nd rated law school to go to for big law placement based on tuition and ranked 31 for big law placement in general. With all this being said a T-14 would probably be a better deal than Howard but outside of that there are only a few schools that compare to howard on placement.
Again this is just my opinion.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”