Howard class of 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
pcvpy

New

Re: Howard class of 2015

Post by pcvpy » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:24 pm

pmh1989 wrote:Sending my deposit and enrollment fee tomorrow!
Finally, a classmate! I was getting anxious.

plaiseadieu

New

Post by plaiseadieu » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:19 pm

Another Bison here!

Haven't sent in the deposit yet but it's coming :)

P.S. I also went to Admitted Student's Day, and it helped to solidify my decision.

mcdeeremitch

Bronze

Post by mcdeeremitch » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:32 pm

plaiseadieu wrote:Another Bison here!

P.S. I also went to Admitted Student's Day, and it helped to solidify my decision.
I looked at your profile....if I may ask what may you choose Howard over Michigan and UVA?

anjmissy

Bronze

Post by anjmissy » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:20 am

must be a fake..i dont believe anyone would choose Howard over Michigan and Uva

sdphill

Silver

Post by sdphill » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:21 am

anjmissy wrote:must be a fake..i dont believe anyone would choose Howard over Michigan and Uva
+1 Just saying...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

plaiseadieu

New

Post by plaiseadieu » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:07 am

mcdeeremitch wrote:
plaiseadieu wrote:Another Bison here!

I looked at your profile....if I may ask what may you choose Howard over Michigan and UVA?
So...a lot of thought (and prayer) went into my decision. To be honest, when I started the whole process of applying to schools, ranking was a big deal to me. I equated rankings with opportunities. But as time went on, I started to realize that cost was a very important factor as well.

The only schools that flat out accepted me so far are (in order) Northeastern, Michigan, Howard and UVA. All the other schools I applied to have have either WL'd me (Chicago, Penn, Duke), rejected me (Harvard, Yale), or are still pending (Columbia, NYU). I don't want to play the waiting game, I like dealing with certainties. And I want to start making plans, budgeting, etc. Soo I started to weigh my available options. For the longest time, I was set on UMich for many reasons: ranking, prestige, summer start, summer funding, etc. All the students I spoke with were more than helpful and very open. I disregarded Howard at first mainly because of its ranking. Also, I went to a large private univ. in CA and knew little about Howard Law. But something happened where I started to realize the pros of going to Howard:

- I currently live in the Balt. Washington area now and I wouldn't have to travel far to relocate.
- my primary interest in a career is related to international affairs and developing nations (Mich has a great int'l program but it doesn't make sense to leave the nation's capital when I'll most likely be going back for summer internships/jobs!)
- my cost of living will be cheaper b/c I have family in the area that I can stay with (I know no one in Ann arbor and family is also a big thing for me)
- overall cost of attendance is much less than Michigan (which they told me in my fin. Aid award would be $101,600 for summer start semester and my first year...crazy) - Howard's coa is around 55k, tuition is under 30k
- the class size is so much smaller (~150 students compared to 360 @ Mich.)
- a family friend is in his first year there and he has only positive things to say

Then I went to visit, sat in on a class....and saw how the students were more than willing to talk openly about their experiences, how the school was doing so much for them in terms of recruiting (6th most recruited law school in the nation-- check it out on nalp.org...I think its org or net, like 250 or 300 recruiters did oci at howard last year..for a 150 person class, do the math!) , summer placement, etc. Even met a girl that went to my undergrad and she really broke it down for me -- just how much people sleep on Howard-- she landed a summer job (paid) in a int'l firm in south africa that just fell into her lap..for her 1L summer...crazy. I mean, I'm sort of tinkering with going private or public, but even on the public route, howard places the highest percentage of itss graduates in public interest jobs in the nation...read about it in that prelaw magazine thing

Anyways, I came away from ASD, feeling that I would be given many opportunities to be successful and that I would feel taken care of at HUSL. So that's how i made my decision. If you have more questions, PM me. I don't wanna give away all the chocolate fo' free! :)

plaiseadieu

New

Post by plaiseadieu » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:33 am

sdphill wrote:
anjmissy wrote:must be a fake..i dont believe anyone would choose Howard over Michigan and Uva
+1 Just saying...
Hey sdphill,

I went to USC for undergrad! (Saw your post about Dean Reid); when you get accepted, if you want some advice about where to live around campus or surrounding areas, let me know! Best of luck !

sdphill

Silver

Post by sdphill » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:40 am

plaiseadieu wrote:
sdphill wrote:
+1 Just saying...
Hey sdphill,

I went to USC for undergrad! (Saw your post about Dean Reid); when you get accepted, if you want some advice about where to live around campus or surrounding areas, let me know! Best of luck !
I PM'ed you!

Mandi

New

Post by Mandi » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:43 pm

Is anyone still waiting on a response from Howard? I applied in early January and still have not heard anything. I am at or above the 75th percentile in both figures so I am not sure why they haven't responded in such a long time. Just wondering if anyone else was in the same boat?
Last edited by Mandi on Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pcvpy

New

Post by pcvpy » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:42 am

Last edited by pcvpy on Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

flashforward2

New

Post by flashforward2 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:58 pm

I attended ASD as well and I was impressed. I'm trying to decide between GW and Howard, but honestly, I'm 80% sure I'll choose Howard. GW's Preview Day is Friday and after that, I should have a clearer idea. As a nontraditional student, I just feel that Howard has great on campus recruitment and the cost is tough to beat. I also have undergraduate and graduate loans, so cost is important. Additionally, I feel that law school is what you make of it, and Howard seems to have great opportunities for additional scholarships, grants and employment opportunities that are not available at every law school.

For those who are planning to attend Howard in the fall, what ultimately convinced you?

mcdeeremitch

Bronze

Post by mcdeeremitch » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:44 pm

Going for a visit on Friday...taking a tour and sitting in on a class ...so im excited to see what the school is like...and hopefully get an answer on my scholly negotiation thats taken almost 2 months now.....but any 1 or 2ls have any advice for teacher to sit in on that would be better....options are Constitutional Law with Professor Crooms inll, Constitutional Law with Professor Jamar , or Criminal Law with Professor Herbert???

Imezing

New

Post by Imezing » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:21 pm

I know there was some talk about Howard's harsh stips earlier but since I received a 17.5k scholarship offer for only the 1st year as well I was wondering how some of you reasoned it was still reasonable to go. In my specific situation, I received a 25k a year scholarship from Cardozo for the next three years guaranteed no matter how poorly I do academically. I recently visited Howard and really did enjoy the people/campus but if I have to stay in the top 15-25% just to keep my scholarship, I'm not sure if it's my best option. Anyone have any thoughts?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

plaiseadieu

New

Post by plaiseadieu » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:10 pm

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/ ... artin-case

Normally don't post new articles but this guy went to Howard

mcdeeremitch

Bronze

Post by mcdeeremitch » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:54 am

Went for a visit on Friday and loved it...I loved the whole vibe and atmosphere...loved how the campus is sort of tucked away from the street but still right next to the street...I talked t the dean of admissions for about an hour he answered a lot of my questions and concerns that I had..spoke to a few students that all seemed to echo the same sentiment tHat as long as u handle ur business like u would all the doors are open to u in whatever u want to do career wise...honestly I wasn't expecting to like it so much it made my decision a lot harder now

Mandi

New

Post by Mandi » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:58 am

Is anyone still waiting to hear back from Howard? I applied in Mid Jan and I am still waiting to hear back. I am at or above their 75% median for both LSAT and GPA and I still have heard nothing. I wanted to consider this school as an option but with seat deposits coming due at other schools I am starting to get frustrated about not hearing back.

pmh1989

New

Post by pmh1989 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:43 pm

Mandi wrote:Is anyone still waiting to hear back from Howard? I applied in Mid Jan and I am still waiting to hear back. I am at or above their 75% median for both LSAT and GPA and I still have heard nothing. I wanted to consider this school as an option but with seat deposits coming due at other schools I am starting to get frustrated about not hearing back.

Call them

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bri905

New

Post by bri905 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:58 pm

just sent in my seat deposit for the fall. For those of you who are def. going to Howard I will see you there!

Imezing

New

Post by Imezing » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:43 pm

Imezing wrote:I know there was some talk about Howard's harsh stips earlier but since I received a 17.5k scholarship offer for only the 1st year as well I was wondering how some of you reasoned it was still reasonable to go. In my specific situation, I received a 25k a year scholarship from Cardozo for the next three years guaranteed no matter how poorly I do academically. I recently visited Howard and really did enjoy the people/campus but if I have to stay in the top 15-25% just to keep my scholarship, I'm not sure if it's my best option. Anyone have any thoughts?
So...no one is in the same situation? lol

irish1485

Bronze

Post by irish1485 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:24 pm

Officially withdrew today, just couldn't pass up other schools with much more manageable scholarship stipulations.

Good luck to anyone who may be still waiting!

mcdeeremitch

Bronze

Post by mcdeeremitch » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:43 pm

Im about 95% of the way done with Howard...in only my limited interactions...I have come to realize that it might be the most poorly administrations ive come accross or heard of...they dont repsond to emails phone calls or anything..i understood it two months ago when they were in the swing of making decisions and what not....but to not even acknowledge an email or phone call when I'm now 4 days away from a deadline (a week and a half when I sent the email) is mind boggling...and seeming how I would have very similar job prospects at the other schools im considering I can see myself in a setting where the administration cant even answer emails let alone help students out when actually enrolled...the only reason I havent withdrawn already is becasue i like the idea of living in D.C. but heck whats the point of sending a withdraw email...its not like they would even read it

and to top it off they wouldnt budge on my scholarhsip even though I had more from schools ranked way higher....and this didnt take by complete shock becuase i get some schools dont budge...but they didnt even have the decency to respond to my request and let me know this...the only reason I found out was when i went to visit I asked the office assistant but she told me the decision had been made two weeks prior

(sorry just had to vent a little)
Last edited by mcdeeremitch on Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pcvpy

New

Post by pcvpy » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:55 pm

mcdeeremitch wrote:(sorry just had to vent a little)
No worries, I think most of us understand to some extent where you're coming from. I've had a decent experience, but don't have much to compare it to.

I've actually been quite impressed with the Financial Aid Office's response time to their 'ticket' system.

irish1485

Bronze

Post by irish1485 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:13 pm

mcdeeremitch wrote:Im about 95% of the way done with Howard...in only my limited interactions...I have come to realize that it might be the most poorly administrations ive come accross or heard of...they dont repsond to emails phone calls or anything..i understood it two months ago when they were in the swing of making decisions and what not....but to not even acknowledge an email or phone call when I'm now 4 days away from a deadline (a week and a half when I sent the email) is mind boggling...and seeming how I would have very similar job prospects at the other schools im considering I can see myself in a setting where the administration cant even answer emails let alone help students out when actually enrolled...the only reason I havent withdrawn already is becasue i like the idea of living in D.C. but heck whats the point of sending a withdraw email...its not like they would even read it

and to top it off they wouldnt budge on my scholarhsip even though I had more from schools ranked way higher....and this didnt take by complete shock becuase i get some schools dont budge...but they didnt even have the decency to respond to my request and let me know this...the only reason I found out was when i went to visit I asked the office assistant but she told me the decision had been made two weeks prior

I completely understand where you're coming from man I just decided that its not worth it, especially when you have better offers from higher ranked schools. Good luck on your final decision..

mcdeeremitch

Bronze

Post by mcdeeremitch » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:40 pm

irish1485 wrote:
mcdeeremitch wrote:Im about 95% of the way done with Howard...in only my limited interactions...I have come to realize that it might be the most poorly administrations ive come accross or heard of...they dont repsond to emails phone calls or anything..i understood it two months ago when they were in the swing of making decisions and what not....but to not even acknowledge an email or phone call when I'm now 4 days away from a deadline (a week and a half when I sent the email) is mind boggling...and seeming how I would have very similar job prospects at the other schools im considering I can see myself in a setting where the administration cant even answer emails let alone help students out when actually enrolled...the only reason I havent withdrawn already is becasue i like the idea of living in D.C. but heck whats the point of sending a withdraw email...its not like they would even read it

I completely understand where you're coming from man I just decided that its not worth it, especially when you have better offers from higher ranked schools. Good luck on your final decision..
Yeah definately I just cant deal with it for 3 years to have almost identical job prospects as teh schools im in at now its crazy....but good luck to you as well

mcdeeremitch

Bronze

Post by mcdeeremitch » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:21 pm

I was told that there was nothing they could do about extending the deposit deadline a couple of weeks....will be withdrawing by the end of the week

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”